• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: Battlefield 2021 will be revealed soon

iJudged

Banned
idk what soon is but if you could give us a date
v2 GIF

Why would they make another BF year from now? Whatever they have in their graphics engine now will be 'next-gen' complete. No need to wait for a later edition of the game. We'll see what it looks like real soon.
Thats the siliest assumption ive ever seen on gaf, so what your saying is battlefield 4 is the same as battlefield 5 🤣🤣🤣 console games always look better as developers keep improving with the hardware, none of the games today are even scratching the ability of these machines.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Be careful what you wish for.

MOZzZan.jpg
Internet dummies like to axe grind about gender expression or whatever but none of that has much of an effect on how fun the game is. Battlefield V was just not that fun compared to other shooters at the time. There’s a reason why tubers like Jackfrsgs go back and make videos on Battlefield 4 rather than V when he’s not just playing an alternative like CoD Warzone

Internet dummies like to axe grind about gender expression or whatever but none of that has much of an effect on how fun the game is. Battlefield V was just not that fun compared to other shooters at the time. There’s a reason why tubers like Jackfrsgs go back and make videos on Battlefield 4 rather than V when he’s not just playing an alternative like CoD Warzone
I honestly wasn't bothered about the woke implementation. I quit playing because of the lack of maps and updates.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
For the love of god pls have:
Huge player numbers per match so it feels more like a battlefield rather than a desolate wasteland.
Day and night cycles.
Various weather conditions.
High resolution destruction.
High resolution physics.

Please more akin to BFBC3 rather than BF1.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Thats the siliest assumption ive ever seen on gaf, so what your saying is battlefield 4 is the same as battlefield 5 🤣🤣🤣 console games always look better as developers keep improving with the hardware, none of the games today are even scratching the ability of these machines.
Have you ever written a graphics engine? Or even played around with Unreal? If not, you are out of your element bud.

Graphics engines get updated with new features continuously. I can guarantee you that DICE has advanced features in their graphics engine waiting to be used for next-gen hardware and it's not all written from scratch. The PC is the hardware that allows R&D on new graphics features for games. UE4 right now is in it's 26th iteration. There are several RT features in the code that's not even seen in games today. I can implement their ray-tracing algorithm right now yet not a single AAA UE game has RT yet. When UE5 comes out and people start seeing RT in the games they'll immediately claim "oh, Epic rewrote their graphics engine to keep up with next-gen consoles...". That's completely false. The features are already working on PCs and using their 4th version.

KqSrzjM.png

I hate it when guys like you pretend to be armchair developers without a single day working as a programmer. And then try to make me look bad instead of asking questions from my comments which makes you look like more of a fool.

Last edited:
As long as it is built ground up for the highest spec PC/Series X and then essentially ported to lesser consoles it will look great, and hopefully fully utilize the hardware - even
as the ML functions needed to completely tap out these machines do not yet exist. If it was instead built for One X/Similar PC Spec and then had RTX thrown on top of it, probably wont look so good.

If the assets don't match what is seen in the latest Unreal Engine Quixel Demos in terms of detail - they have given us the run around, as that means the assets are of lower detail standards.

A mere step up from BFV when the machines are capable of 10 steps up from BFV with current hardware restraints, will not miraculously make this a fully next gen title.

And for those with short memories, the BF series did not make any huge visual leaps during the 360 era until Bad Company 2, and even then that leap was underwhelming.

It took EA until BF3, near the end of the 360's lifecycle - to make a game that fully utilized the hardware.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
There better be some helicopters ffs. All the crybabies who hate force multipliers can stick to the latest refresh of the Karkand map.

A.Romero

I'm hyped. I put more than 100 hours on BFV. Despite it's flaws I consider it fun.

Battlefield is my favorite FPS. The rest available in the market just don't do it for me for some reason. What I'm hoping for is:

- Modern combat (BF3/BF4), no futuristic stuff ideally
- 128 player matches
- Commander role or something similar
- No unlock weapon bullshit. Cosmetics is fine but I don't want to spend 40 hours unlocking kits, weapons and accesories. Weapon specialization is fine.
- Don't care about microtransactions so they can be there
- Bigger maps with lots of vehicles and smaller maps for infantry combat
- Keep the rewards for playing aligned to squad's objectives
- Don't allow players out of squads
- More ways to scout enemy areas (UAV's, flares, etc)
- Keep artillery barrages and bring something similar to the JB2
- Game replay
- Dynamic weather is a must (don't care about day/night cycle)
- Hide K/D ratio and only show it at the end of the match. Points should be displayed and awarded for all kinds of activities including killing enemies (I think this would take away the spotlight from just going around killing people)
- Bring back the zeppelin mechanic with some other kind of vehicles like A10's
- Make it easier to jump out of a game. Exiting BFV is a chore.
- Keep gender and such politics out of the game. If they want to put women in there that's fine, just don't preach about it.
- RTX and DLSS are a must.

This is my most awaited game of this year I think so I have high hopes for it to be competent.

Imotekh

So many problems can be fixed with a modern setting:

All the hysteria about historically correct or incorrect inclusion of women is irrelevant in a modern setting, especially if the rumours of a more volunteer/mercenary faction system are true.

One of my ultimate pet peeves which unironically ruined my appreciation for the weapons of WW1 and WW2 was the inclusion of all these bogus optics and sights because apparently people can't play games without ACOGs and red dot sights on literally everything.

A super important part of Battlefield is helicopters. It's a way to play in the air which isn't just a separate game to what the rest of team are doing. Some of the best fun you can have with a squad is when you're working with a good transport helicopter pilot. Attack helicopters are a very satisfying counter to tanks as well.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm hyped. I put more than 100 hours on BFV. Despite it's flaws I consider it fun.

Battlefield is my favorite FPS. The rest available in the market just don't do it for me for some reason. What I'm hoping for is:

- Modern combat (BF3/BF4), no futuristic stuff ideally
- 128 player matches
- Commander role or something similar
- No unlock weapon bullshit. Cosmetics is fine but I don't want to spend 40 hours unlocking kits, weapons and accesories. Weapon specialization is fine.
- Don't care about microtransactions so they can be there
- Bigger maps with lots of vehicles and smaller maps for infantry combat
- Keep the rewards for playing aligned to squad's objectives
- Don't allow players out of squads
- More ways to scout enemy areas (UAV's, flares, etc)
- Keep artillery barrages and bring something similar to the JB2
- Game replay
- Dynamic weather is a must (don't care about day/night cycle)
- Hide K/D ratio and only show it at the end of the match. Points should be displayed and awarded for all kinds of activities including killing enemies (I think this would take away the spotlight from just going around killing people)
- Bring back the zeppelin mechanic with some other kind of vehicles like A10's
- Make it easier to jump out of a game. Exiting BFV is a chore.
- Keep gender and such politics out of the game. If they want to put women in there that's fine, just don't preach about it.
- RTX and DLSS are a must.

This is my most awaited game of this year I think so I have high hopes for it to be competent.
I agree with some of that except I don’t think KDR needs to be hidden or teamwork forced. There is already a parallel points system which shows whether or not kdr is actually contributing to wins. What I like about Battlefield is how accommodating it is to different types of players (in part because of the large player count) In public servers, to me it’s more fun playing the objectives when many of the randoms are just doing their thing.

Danknugz

I hope they bring back more CQC style maps, I know this isn’t the battlefield aesthetic but I prefer smaller cqc / infantry over huge maps, vehicles, snipers/campers etc just my opinion

R6Rider

Gold Member
I hope they bring back more CQC style maps, I know this isn’t the battlefield aesthetic but I prefer smaller cqc / infantry over huge maps, vehicles, snipers/campers etc just my opinion
I'm fine with a few CQC maps as long as they're not hallway clusterfucks like Metro or Locker. I also really like maps with a central or offset urban section for close combat.

A.Romero

I agree with some of that except I don’t think KDR needs to be hidden or teamwork forced. There is already a parallel points system which shows whether or not kdr is actually contributing to wins. What I like about Battlefield is how accommodating it is to different types of players (in part because of the large player count) In public servers, to me it’s more fun playing the objectives when many of the randoms are just doing their thing.

Yeah, I get it. Also I don't think it's going to happen.

The hidden K/D ratio works very well in Squad. Players forget about it very quickly and start focusing on the objectives...

I just think that the game would be more enjoyable as a team based combat game instead of a re-skinned CoD.

Danknugz

I'm fine with a few CQC maps as long as they're not hallway clusterfucks like Metro or Locker. I also really like maps with a central or offset urban section for close combat.
Yeah I totally feel the same about the hallway style cqc, I mean more maps like ziba tower, scrap metal, actually all the BF3 CQC dlc maps were pretty good.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think destruction can help. For example in the Strike at Karkand map remake the initial city favoring infantry is full of destructible buildings so you couldn’t just grenade/explosive fest it the entire time. It’s also just a flow problem because specifically designed tdm maps for cqc exist that aren’t shit (can’t recall the name of the specific one in my head. it has a lot of alleys). And in bigger maps like Propaganda in 4 there are cqc areas that flow fine because the back alleys away from the bottleneck are wide enough that it can’t just be grenaded over and over. In Bad Company 2 the Rush maps were actually fun which suggests it’s more than the bottlenecks because some of those maps were fun on both attack and defense

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think destruction can help. For example in the Strike at Karkand map remake the initial city favoring infantry is full of destructible buildings so you couldn’t just grenade/explosive fest it the entire time. It’s also just a flow problem because specifically designed tdm maps for cqc exist that aren’t shit (can’t recall the name of the specific one in my head. it has a lot of alleys). And in bigger maps like Propaganda in 4 there are cqc areas that flow fine because the back alleys away from the bottleneck are wide enough that it can’t just be grenaded over and over. In Bad Company 2 the Rush maps were actually fun which suggests it’s more than the bottlenecks because some of those maps were fun on both attack and defense
BC2 Rush was the last time I really enjoyed the mode. Valparaiso was my jam. It also helped that they had Rush maps and then Conquest maps with only a few overlapping.

TheMan

Honestly I'm not sure what I want from this series. I think a return to a more modern setting might be nice. I miss the feeling of 6 guys packing into a blackhawk and rushint to a contested area. Nothing in BF1 or BFV could truly match that feeling. Gulf of Oman and Firestorm struck a perfect balance of vehicle and on-foot action.

So yeah, more of that I suppose.

Top Bottom