• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Braag

Just went through the patch notes and hoooooly shit lol
Everything from defenses, armor and CD reduction to Crit dmg and Vuln dmg got nerfed big time.
My lv.100 Twisting blades Rogue was clearing lv. 60 NM dungeons and now I was barely able to do a lv. 51. No more self healing with crits and overall dmg and survivability has been nerfed big time.
Dunno what their actual purprose is with this patch but it makes me want to play the end game even less now lol

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Everything from defenses, armor and CD reduction to Crit dmg and Vuln dmg got nerfed big time.
My lv.100 Twisting blades Rogue was clearing lv. 60 NM dungeons and now I was barely able to do a lv. 51. No more self healing with crits and overall dmg and survivability has been nerfed big time.
Dunno what their actual purprose is with this patch but it makes me want to play the end game even less now lol
this game is a fucking joke see you fucks next year when its totally different hehe

Zheph

Like I told everyone days ago ... avoid Sorc. They were already as durable as wet paper bag but now they are significantly worse. Also that new teleport Unique added to the game this season for Sorc?!?!? It's stupid and It completely negates Sorc's only viable Unique (Raiment).

why GIF
I can't believe it also...

From maybe Sorc in S1 to just skip the whole season smh

cormack12

Gold Member
What does attack power mean on the character screen? I'm at like 8500 on my rogue but I'm obviously Critting and hitting much harder.

But I swap gear out and the rating drops to like 7900. I'm not even sure what it means. It seems to be affected more by adding items with dex points to my character.

Atrus

Gold Member
Hard nerf to survivability with this patch for all classes as well as a nerf to levelling.

Hard to say how this will affect my Druid since I run a Trample/Stormwolf druid (in anticipation of some of these changes) and basically nothing short of NM50’s could kill it.

I guess nothing is a better incentive for your seasonal additions than making the existing status quo worse.

Bry0

Ugh. Had a feeling.

DavidGzz

Haha, we don't even know for sure how buff the malignant hearts makes us. Any nerfs may have to do with the interactions of the hearts. I'll wait and see before having a meltdown.

Last edited:

Braag

Haha, we don't even know for sure how buff the malignant hearts makes us. Any nerfs may have to do with the interactions of the hearts. I'll wait and see before having a meltdown.
The hearts are gone after the season is over though. They are only added for the duration of the season. Most people will obviously play the season but those that wont will be having a hard time.

DavidGzz

The hearts are gone after the season is over though. They are only added for the duration of the season. Most people will obviously play the season but those that wont will be having a hard time.

Yeah, I guess if you're not doing seasons, I can see the complaints. But Blizzard probably doesn't care about non season as much as it will probably bring the least amount of money. The game will constantly be patched going forward. Well, maybe not for 3 more months now though. For sure before season 2.

Paulxo87

running a blizzard/ice shard and nova build. idk i couldn't tell much right off the bat. only lvl 50 tho. everything just dies intantly like always. FYI for sorc you should try this build. the combo of blizzard and ice shard esp using frost nova. nothing lives and everything is just always frozen

Last edited:

Zheph

running a blizzard/ice shard and nova build. idk i couldn't tell much right off the bat. only lvl 50 tho. everything just dies intantly like always. FYI for sorc you should try this build. the combo of blizzard and ice shard esp using frost nova. nothing lives and everything is just always frozen
It's good but it's not performing as good as others classes in endgame

ssringo

Tried my mid 60s Sorcerer in an even level NM dungeon and damage to mooks was fine but it was a bit more noticeable with elites and very noticeable to the dungeon boss. Incoming damage was way up. Seems the nerfs won't hurt too bad until late game.

Antwix

What does attack power mean on the character screen? I'm at like 8500 on my rogue but I'm obviously Critting and hitting much harder.

But I swap gear out and the rating drops to like 7900. I'm not even sure what it means. It seems to be affected more by adding items with dex points to my character.
attack power is just a very rough estimate of damage. it's literally just your weapon's damage. it doesn't include any status/crit/% bonus type stuff at all. so if you have a build that always freezes stuff and has huge damage bonuses to frozen and vuln targets for example, the attack power stat doesn't reflect that at all.

Like I told everyone days ago ... avoid Sorc. They were already as durable as wet paper bag but now they are significantly worse. Also that new teleport Unique added to the game this season for Sorc?!?!? It's stupid and It completely negates Sorc's only viable Unique (Raiment).

why GIF

Little Mac

Rip my lvl 100 Ice Shards Sorc ...

From Lexyu (build guide creator on Icy-veins.com):

"Ice Shards Sorcerer loses a considerable amount of damage output with the nerf to Devouring Blaze and fix to Aspect of Control. Without any buffs to offset the damage losses, besides the Malignant Hearts in Season 1, the Ice Shards Sorcerer falls behind in comparison to other builds/classes."

Roses Funeral GIF by Un si grand soleil

Pretty sad reading the patch notes this morning. Huge nerfs across the board while not really offering any meaningful buffs to underperforming skills or increases to fun for the players... the game is already slow, and they have slowed it down more.

Uber Lilith fight will be even more out of reach for many builds that were struggling before the patch.

ONE new Unique per class (we already knew this) when a season in D2R added more new Runewords... lol. It's sad because it's true. And the new unique for Rogue is another bow. They already have two unique bows, where is the crossbow?

And my favourite change... it now takes 5 seconds to leave dungeon instead of 3. Who even asked for this?

Last edited:

Little Mac

https://maxroll.gg/d4/news/32-malignant-hearts-revealed-for-season-1

General​

• The Picana (Vicious, Offensive): Critical Strikes electrically charge the enemy for 0.75-2.50 seconds, causing lightning to arc between them and any other charged enemies dealing 68-136 Lightning damage.
  • The Dark Dance (Vicious, Offensive-World Tier III): Every 5 seconds while above 60% Life, Core Skills cost 68-51 Life instead of your Primary Resource. Skills that consume Life deal 10-20% increased damage.
  • Tempting Fate (Vicious, Offensive-World Tier III): You gain 40-60% Critical Strike Damage but your Non-Critical Strikes deal 20-15% less damage.
  • The Lionheart (Brutal, Defensive): You gain 10% Barrier Generation. You Heal 3-7 Life per second while you have an active Barrier.
  • Revenge (Brutal, Defensive-World Tier III): 10-20% of incoming damage is instead suppressed. When you use a Defensive, Subterfuge or a Macabre skill, all suppressed damage is amplified by 250% and explodes, dealing up to 1360-2040 Fire damage to Nearby enemies.
  • Prudent Heart (Brutal, Defensive-World Tier III): You become Immune for 2.0-4.0 seconds after you lose more than 20% Life in a single hit. This effect can only occur once every 110 seconds.
  • Determination (Devious, Utility): Resource draining effects are 40-50% less effective. In addition, gain 3.0-8.0% increased Resource Generation.
  • Retaliation (Devious, Utility-World Tier III): Deal 510-680 Fire damage to surrounding enemies whenever a Crowd Control effect is removed from you.
  • The Calculated (Devious, Utility-World Tier III): After spending 150-200 of your Primary Resource, your next attack Stuns enemies hit for 2 seconds.
  • The Malignant Pact(Wrathful, Super): Cycle through a Malignant bonus every 20 kills:
    • Vicious: Gain 20% Attack Speed.
    • Devious: Core and Basic Skills have a 15% chance to fully restore your Primary Resource.
    • Brutal: Every 21 seconds, gain a Barrier absorbing 85-102 damage.
  • Creeping Death (Wrathful, Super): Your damage over time effects are increased by 30-40% for each different Crowd Control effect on the target. Unstoppable monsters and Staggered bosses instead take 110-130% increased damage from your damage over time effects.
  • The Barber (Wrathful, Super-World Tier III): Critical Strikes and all subsequent damage within 2.0-4.0 seconds is absorbed by your target. Then, the absorbed damage erupts onto surrounding enemies. Stored damage is increased by 10% per second.

Barbarian​

• Focused Rage (Vicious, Offensive): After spending 100-60 Fury within 2 seconds, your next Non-Basic Skill's Critical Strike Chance is increased by 20-30%.
  • Resurgent Life (Brutal, Defensive): While below 40-60% Life, you receive 50-60% more Healing from all sources.
  • Punishing Speed (Devious, Utility): Your Skills have a 20-30% chance to Knock Down all enemies for 1.25 seconds when that Skill's Attack Speed is higher than 35-20%.
  • Ignoring Pain (Wrathful, Super-World Tier IV): Incoming damage has a 5-15% chance of being ignored and instead Healing you for 17-68.

Druid​

• The Moonrage (Vicious, Offensive): Kills have a 5% chance to summon a Wolf Companion to your side for 20-30 seconds. In addition, gain +3 to Wolves.
  • The Agitated Winds (Brutal, Defensive): When 8-13 Close enemies, automatically cast Cyclone Armor. This cannot occur more than once every 10-20 seconds.
  • Inexorable Force (Devious, Utility): Up to 30-50 Distant enemies are pulled toward you while you have an Ultimate Skill active.
  • The Unconstrained Beast (Wrathful, Super-World Tier IV): When you are hit with a Stun, Freeze or Knock Down effect, there is a 40-60% chance to automatically activate Grizzly Rage for 3 seconds.

Necromancer​

• The Sacrilegious (Vicious, Offensive): Walking near a Corpse automatically activates an equipped Corpse Skill every second, dealing 40-30% reduced damage.
  • The Decrepit Aura (Brutal, Defensive): When at least 5 enemies are near you, gain an aura that automatically curses surrounding enemies with Decrepify for 5-15 seconds.
  • Frozen Terror (Devious, Utility): Lucky Hit: Up to a 10-20% chance of inflicting Fear for 2.5 seconds. Feared enemies are Chilled for 20% every second.
  • The Great Feast (Wrathful, Super-World Tier IV): Each Minion drains 1.0-2.0 Essence per second but deals 50-75% increased damage. With no Minions, this bonus applies to you and drains 5 Essence per second.

Rogue​

• Cluster Munitions (Vicious, Offensive): Lucky Hit: You have up to a 20% chance to launch 3 Stun Grenades that deal 26-32 Physical damage and Stun enemies for 0.50 seconds.
  • Trickery (Brutal, Defensive): When you use a Subterfuge Skill, leave behind an unstable Shadow Decoy Trap that Taunts enemies. The Shadow Decoy Trap will explode after 6.0 seconds dealing 680-1020 Shadow damage. Cannot occur more than once every 5 seconds.
  • The Clipshot (Devious, Utility): Lucky Hit: Up to a 20-40% chance for your Cutthroat Skills to Slow by 40% for 3 seconds and your Marksman Skills to Knock Back enemies.
  • The Vile Apothecary (Wrathful, Super-World Tier IV): Your attacks have a 5-15% chance to apply all Imbuement effects at 40-50% of normal potency.

Sorcerer​

• Tal’Rasha (Vicious, Offensive): For each unique element you deal damage with, you deal 7-12% increased damage for 3-10 seconds.
  • Spellbreaking (Brutal, Defensive): After taking Elemental damage, gain 20-40% Resistance to that element for 5 seconds.
  • Spite (Devious, Utility): When you are afflicted with a Crowd Control effect, there is a 20-40% chance that the same enemy and enemies around you are also afflicted with the same effect for 3 seconds.
  • Omnipower (Wrathful, Super-World Tier IV): Core Skills that launch a projectile consume all of your Mana. For every 45-35 extra Mana consumed, you launch an additional projectile, and the damage is increased by 3.0-5.0%.

Last edited:

Shodai

Blizzard is clearly not the company I grew up with, they have become absolutely amateur. There is a ton of great games coming up, thankfully.

Woah what have they done.

I just did 1 world boss (zero legendary drops), 3 legions (1 legendary drop), some helltide and I think it moved to 250 cinders for the good chest....and the drop rate of cinders is about 1/3. And it's tougher.

lol

Tg89

Blizzard is clearly not the company I grew up with, they have become absolutely amateur. There is a ton of great games coming up, thankfully.
Yep. It's a shame.

Honestly I'm not sure there's a gaming company that has fallen as far as Blizzard. Going from making genre/medium defining games such as Brood War, Diablo 2 WarCraft 3 and World of Warcraft to....this?

Codeblew

Woah what have they done.

I just did 1 world boss (zero legendary drops), 3 legions (1 legendary drop), some helltide and I think it moved to 250 cinders for the good chest....and the drop rate of cinders is about 1/3. And it's tougher.

lol
Apparently the cinder drop rate is a bug according to Reddit. Hopefully that gets fixed asap.

Yep. It's a shame.

Honestly I'm not sure there's a gaming company that has fallen as far as Blizzard. Going from making genre/medium defining games such as Brood War, Diablo 2 WarCraft 3 and World of Warcraft to....this?
A lot of companies are like that these days. They let the MBA's make the decisions instead of the people that enjoy gaming.

Last edited:

devilNprada

just got the sourcerer occulus wand and was playing with it.... survivability is off the charts with that .. teleport almost never runs out.
edit:I feel some lightning builds coming..

Last edited:

Joramun

OK.

After my initial rage I think it's not that bad.

I tried some NM dungeons (52 to 55, I was doing up to 72 before nerfs) on my werenado build and it's still ok.

I just need to be more mindful of what I'm doing.

However, rewards for time spent still needs a buff I reckon.

Reading about changes to Sorc and it seems it got some great lightning buffs, been using a custom lightning build for the past 30 hours so good news for me! Need to wrap up Lilith altars and I'll be ready for the season 👌

DavidGzz

Blizzard is doing this to force people into seasons. Nerf everything and then see people talking up the hearts to compensate for the nerfs, make eternal players jelly. Profit!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went back with a Barbarian and decided to skip the campaign this time. I’m bored to death and I’m only a level 17. I don’t know what to do. All the events and dungeons look the same from when I played the Druid. Do I even get to fight the campaign bosses? Feels like this will be more work now that I finished the campaign. I hope to come back once they’ve added all the extra content.

I couldn’t play this for 1,000’s of hours. Sure, the OP gear sounds fun, but this feels mindless and time consuming. Fun game for what it was. 😊

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'm back on D3 and am enjoying the simplicity of Rifts and Grifts. TBH, I wish they were a part of D4. I'll take the new classes, skills, and graphics with random tiles every floor in D4. I also love the speed.

Zheph

If you guys have many characters, connect with the one who has the most progress (altars, map) and it will sync with the rest so that's nice

there are a few positives in the patch, I might try to list it a bit later but on top of mind vulnerability was way too powerful and it made it mandatory

If you guys have many characters, connect with the one who has the most progress (altars, map) and it will sync with the rest so that's nice

there are a few positives in the patch, I might try to list it a bit later but on top of mind vulnerability was way too powerful and it made it mandatory

it's still mandatory as it's still the biggest damage multiplier. they nerfed it without compensating for it. blizzard is clueless.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Yup same, running a frost build and it's fun and effective, played last night and saw no real difference, though I'm level 66 and not at the bleeding edge of content. Lately I've got an Ice Spike thing going with three of my skills creating and enhancing ice spikes, works pretty good.

I wonder what the new standard for nightmare dungeons are. I thought it was about your level -50 before this patch and that defiantly moved.

devilNprada

I wonder what the new standard for nightmare dungeons are. I thought it was about your level -50 before this patch and that defiantly moved.
For me (lvl 95) was -45 pre patch -50 post patch.
LOL I tried to go farm stuff I was doing handedly pre patch last night (~lvl 48/49) and got worked.
My XP bar didn't move much either..

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Looks like the 'nerfs' didn't actually change that much

The changes do not really affect the people who are already at the end game and the top 1 to 3 percent of players.

Where the nerfs are going to be felt the hardest is in the other 97% of players that are much more casual and not as good. Because the best players are still going to find ways to level quickly, they will copy each other's builds to the letter, and they will spend hours and hours grinding their faces off in order to get the best gear they can in order to compensate for all the damage that's been done. Meanwhile, a casual player is going to open up the game, maybe select a sorcerer, and head into the game without doing a whole lot of research ahead of time. That person is going to get towards the mid game where the weaknesses of the sorcerer become very, very apparent and then the higher they get the more they're going to start dying and not really understanding why they're dying. Those people are going to get frustrated and then they're going to leave. Because the casual players are not going to look up all the perfect builds or spend hours and hours trying to find that one perfect piece of gear so they cannot be instantly one shot in a dungeon.

So don't look at videos of the top players clearing the hardest content on their already established builds and judge the patch. Wait until tomorrow when people start making their seasonal characters and see how much longer the grind is. And how much of a drop off there is in power around the 60 to 75 range compared to what it was a few days ago.

Mephisto40

The changes do not really affect the people who are already at the end game and the top 1 to 3 percent of players.

Where the nerfs are going to be felt the hardest is in the other 97% of players that are much more casual and not as good. Because the best players are still going to find ways to level quickly, they will copy each other's builds to the letter, and they will spend hours and hours grinding their faces off in order to get the best gear they can in order to compensate for all the damage that's been done. Meanwhile, a casual player is going to open up the game, maybe select a sorcerer, and head into the game without doing a whole lot of research ahead of time. That person is going to get towards the mid game where the weaknesses of the sorcerer become very, very apparent and then the higher they get the more they're going to start dying and not really understanding why they're dying. Those people are going to get frustrated and then they're going to leave. Because the casual players are not going to look up all the perfect builds or spend hours and hours trying to find that one perfect piece of gear so they cannot be instantly one shot in a dungeon.

So don't look at videos of the top players clearing the hardest content on their already established builds and judge the patch. Wait until tomorrow when people start making their seasonal characters and see how much longer the grind is. And how much of a drop off there is in power around the 60 to 75 range compared to what it was a few days ago.
Well that's interesting, because i've booted up the new patch and my lvl 64 sorcerer, the class that most people seem to have had the biggest nerf, appears to kill enemies quicker than it did before the patch

Go figure :messenger_face_screaming:

I guess this is where maybe not following build guides on websites and youtube videos actually pays off

Nobody_Important

Well that's interesting, because i've booted up the new patch and my lvl 64 sorcerer, the class that most people seem to have had the biggest nerf, appears to kill enemies quicker than it did before the patch

Go figure :messenger_face_screaming:

I guess this is where maybe not following build guides on websites and youtube videos actually pays off
I mean if you feel that way then that's great, but the actual facts are that the classes have been heavily nerfed across the board. That's not really an opinion. That is an objective fact based on the numbers given.

It's not like everyone is up in arms over imaginary drops in damage. You have people reporting losses of hundreds of thousands of damage across the board. And in some cases, nightmare dungeons that people were able to do pretty easily the day before the patch. They are now getting instantly one shot in those dungeons. I know this for a fact because I am one of them. My necromancer was able to easily clear a nightmare dungeon that was 8 to 10 levels higher than me with little to no issue depending on the affixes. Now I am barely able to clear ones that are four to five levels higher than me and I can only do the ones that are five levels higher than me with very specific affixes. My buddy who is a level 79 rogue and my other friend who is a level 78 Ice Shard Sorcerer are also not able to clear dungeons at the level they were before or as quickly as they were before. And all of us are following competitive builds to the letter. So it's not like everyone became trash at the game in a single in a day. It's because they nerfed the absolute piss out of all the damage affixes on weapons while not providing any buffs to abilities in order to compensate for the loss. And that's not even mentioning the baseball bat that they took to survivability.

So if you are able to enjoy your class without noticing the nerfs that have happened then I am super happy for you, but you are in the very very small minority on that one because everyone else is pissed for good reason.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I already feel all this whining and complaining - which is fine - go ahead if it bothers you - won't actually keep anyone away, and there'll be just as many ways around it and being OP as there were before.

I'm still super excited for the Season 1 tomorrow myself, even if it is going to be more of a struggle than expected and what does this mean exactly, will the Battlepass now take 150 hours to finish instead of 80 or something? I doubt it.

Much like life finds a way, so will all these hardcore players. There's no way a patch will stop them from steam rolling everything.

Orbital2060

Ridibg the horse feels different now, with a controller.

And the UI scale seems to have changed, with bigger windows and text on items. On console at least. Looks better on a 55 inch TV from the couch, and easier to read.

Nobody_Important

I already feel all this whining and complaining - which is fine - go ahead if it bothers you - won't actually keep anyone away, and there'll be just as many ways around it and being OP as there were before.

I'm still super excited for the Season 1 tomorrow myself, even if it is going to be more of a struggle than expected and what does this mean exactly, will the Battlepass now take 150 hours to finish instead of 80 or something? I doubt it.

Much like life finds a way, so will all these hardcore players. There's no way a patch will stop them from steam rolling everything.
Oh they will absolutely see a dip in player count in the coming weeks over this if they don't address it in some way this Friday during their live stream. You can't nerf every class in the game, nerf XP gains so that it takes longer to level, and also nerf survivability while providing nothing to compensate for the losses without losing players in the process. Especially when these massive nerfs came after people were literally sitting at their desks on their lunch break pressing F5 eagerly awaiting to see the patch notes. Patch notes that most people expected to be mostly buffs given the problems with build variety and class parity. Instead they got a giant pile of nerfs and the worst class in the game got even worse as a result of the nerfs lol

So it's not IF they will lose players over this it's how many players they will lose over this and how long it will take them to fix the problem that they've created.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh they will absolutely see a dip in player count in the coming weeks over this if they don't address it in some way this Friday during their live stream. You can't nerf every class in the game, nerf XP gains so that it takes longer to level, and also nerf survivability while providing nothing to compensate for the losses without losing players in the process. Especially when these massive nerfs came after people were literally sitting at their desks on their lunch break pressing F5 eagerly awaiting to see the patch notes. Patch notes that most people expected to be mostly buffs given the problems with build variety and class parity. Instead they got a giant pile of nerfs and the worst class in the game got even worse as a result of the nerfs lol

So it's not IF they will lose players over this it's how many players they will lose over this and how long it will take them to fix the problem that they've created.

Maybe - I also think the lure of the first season and battle pass to unlock the tiers with will count for quite a bit - but yes, isn't the normal way these games work is the season is released, then as the weeks go by the player count drops and drops and drops as people finish the season, then it spikes again for the next season, and so on?

I mean you can't exactly bring your level 100 power house in to the new season, so there's not going to be a direct day 1 comparison there.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Maybe - I also think the lure of the first season and battle pass to unlock the tiers with will count for quite a bit - but yes, isn't the normal way these games work is the season is released, then as the weeks go by the player count drops and drops and drops as people finish the season, then it spikes again for the next season, and so on?

I mean you can't exactly bring your level 100 power house in to the new season, so there's not going to be a direct day 1 comparison there.
No I'm not saying they are going to lose players over time because people will gradually complete the season. I'm saying that there will be a cliff drop off once people realize just how hard the XP nerfs are going to hit and just how much worse the game feels. Because the seasonal activity was already pretty lukewarm in terms of engagement, but a lot of players (including myself) were just looking forward to the new season so they could try new classes and get a feel for what people were expecting to be the new meta. Instead it was nerfs across the board and the meta has not really changed that much at all except for a handful of builds, absolutely plummeting down the tier lists. So unless people come up with a lot of new crazy builds because of the malignant hearts (I have my doubts on that one), it's going to be the same meta for the next 3 months that we have been experiencing for the last 7 weeks. That's not exactly exciting and that's not going to keep people hooked. No amount of shiny things on a battle pass is going to compensate for that.

And to be clear I am not hater of this game. Not by a longshot. You can go back to my posts about the game whenever it was leading up to launch and in the beta. I have loved this game for the most part. I have dumped nearly 300 hours into it since launch and gotten two characters to level 70 plus. I have put time and energy into an enjoying this game. And even I am already looking towards Baldur's Gate 3 in a few weeks if they don't step up and do something to correct this very soon.

And I'm someone who has over 500 hours in Diablo 2 and over a thousand hours in Diablo 3. I am a hardcore Diablo fan. So if they are losing me this quickly over this patch they are going to be bleeding the casual players that make up the majority of the player base.

Last edited:
Top Bottom