• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT2| Queues Rise. Servers Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Wow, going through hell has become kind of fun. The amount of hold-your-breath type almost-boss fights we've had is crazy. I'm going through some of this with a friend now, and we've really figured out how to get through some of these insane elites. You really have to use your abilities strategically, and use the battlefield strategically and move around a lot. I really love it. It's too bad it can all fall apart with cruddy people in your party. That's not even to mention these things just get way too powerful with a larger party.

Still, I'm having fun, and we're not really having that hard of a time, so that's cool. It's monk and barbarian though, so it sucks not having range.

KuroNeeko

Wizard skill selection is getting pretty complex. I've started eyeing my potion hotkey, wondering if I can afford to drop it for some other skill. I always find myself about one skill short of being satisfied with my choices.

At level 25 I have about 120 damage and am using these skills:

Magic Missile - Charged Blast
Hydra
Meteor
Frost Nova - Shatter
Diamond Armor - Crystal Shell
Teleport

Passives are Prodigy and Astral Presence.

The FN, Teleport, and Frost Nova are mostly for escape Vortex, Jailor, Waller, and when I come out of a dungeon after reloading a game.

Hydra acts as a scout and DPS. Magic Missile is solid, single-target DPS and arcane power regeneration, while Meteor is just nostalgic D2 fun. (Meteorb) Meteor works surprisingly well with Frost Nova and Diamond Armor though it means I'm giving up one more escape tool so I have to be careful when I use it. I'm finding snares to be the biggest problem since once my Teleport goes on CD, there's nothing keeping mobs from chasing me down.

Looking at either going melee or fire mage in the future as my skills increase. Would like to make something based around Spectral Blade, Enchant, and Familiar but we'll see. Still having lots of sweaty palm, run and gun fun. Playing in Japan usually means I can dodge all of that maintenance downtime you guys have to put up with. :3

I've read more than enough patch notes across a pretty wide array of games. Hotfix nerfing an ability into obscurity because you claim it is ten times more powerful than it should be is something I have never heard of.

Going to break it to you right now then, not even the best game designers in the world can foresee all the consequences of a skill / power / ability before launch. The expectation that they should just "get it right" on the first try is pretty absurd especially when you're looking at a game as complex as Diablo 3.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Has anyone else been posting whimsyshire screens?

BTW if you guys can gripe to blizzard to have them make a level like this again much appreciated.

These were taken on my first run after we got the items to do so. If you want rares and money just walk in with the right gear and expect easy pickings each time.

eek5

The Butcher
on Inferno is a lesson in frustration. I've tried with three groups now, over the course of hours. About to flip a table.

I solo'd it with my barb. It's nothing more than a DPS check. All the attacks are easy to avoid. You just need to finish within 3 minutes.

When he starts jumping up and down use bound move to get to his side. If turns red do the same thing. Otherwise you can probably just tank his attacks.

The DPS minimum seems to be about ~11k. I had a smidge under that and I barely finished in time.

Radec

Kinda worried that AH is ruining the experience . I'm in act 2 right now on nightmare and I thought it was kinda challenging. I decided to hit The AH to improve my armor and now I can breeze through like it's nothing. I hope they balance it some how.

It's pretty much optional, but prices would surely go up when PvP hits.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Going to break it to you right now then, not even the best game designers in the world can foresee all the consequences of a skill / power / ability before launch. The expectation that they should just "get it right" on the first try is pretty absurd especially when you're looking at a game as complex as Diablo 3.
There is kind of a huge gulf between a reasonable shot at balancing a game and Diablo 3. It's not about wanting everything perfect at launch. They don't need to hit the bullseye, but they missed the dart board completely.

zoukka

Fucking unspoilered screens.

It's this that sometimes makes me want to account suicide before playing games and talking about them in GAF. There's always bound to be an ass who doesn't think.

Woo-Fu

Banned
There is kind of a huge gulf between a reasonable shot at balancing a game and Diablo 3. It's not about wanting everything perfect at launch. They don't need to hit the bullseye, but they missed the dart board completely.

Doesn't seem that way to me.

Inferno can be a bit of a brick wall if you're not itemized properly, but then again it is inferno.

blitz64

You can sit in town and still gain experience from fights in the dungeon. I wonder if this is a bug or intended. Sound like you can power level a friend easily.

Am I playing my Wizard incorrectly? He feels like a wet noodle compared to my meatgrinder Barbarian; not even a glass cannon - just glass. He hits for little and can't take damage. I haven't gone to the AH for gear, but I didn't do it for my Barb, either. =/

I'm just thinking about dropping my Wizard and going to a Witch Doctor... really not feeling Wizard.

KuroNeeko

Spoiler that shiyat!

No, and there is a pretty good reason why.

You're the first person on my list of sacrifices when I roll my witch doctor. Thanks for the spoilers.

Am I playing my Wizard incorrectly? He feels like a wet noodle compared to my meatgrinder Barbarian; not even a glass cannon - just glass. He hits for little and can't take damage. I haven't gone to the AH for gear, but I didn't do it for my Barb, either. =/

I'm just thinking about dropping my Wizard and going to a Witch Doctor... really not feeling Wizard.

Could you give us a little more information about your wizard? Like what level you are and / or skills you're using? You shouldn't have to hit the auction house to get through the game.

dimb

Doesn't seem that way to me.

Inferno can be a bit of a brick wall if you're not itemized properly, but then again it is inferno.
Blizzard themselves just said it. I'm speaking more to the viability of builds and the power balance between runes more than anything. When I see a bunch of Barbarian builds emerging that don't have Fury dumps and take no advantage of the main mechanic they are based around it is hard to not seriously ask what the development team was thinking.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Fucking unspoilered screens.

It's this that sometimes makes me want to account suicide before playing games and talking about them in GAF. There's always bound to be an ass who doesn't think.

I took them out quit whining it's not the end of the world.

Reknoc

Maybe? Wizard is pretty awesome.

spootime

Welp, my monk now has four defensive abilities on the taskbar with only my primary attacks capable of doing damage. Really having a ton of fun now trying to get used to the BoH nerf

LCGeek

formerly sane

Wizards can take damage build your guy around certain stats. I have a friend who has massive damage reduction 1/3 for everything and when he gets to 35% has even more applied. Mobs literally have to expand a crapload of effort to even get to the threshold of killing you.

This is bullshit.

Who's idea Blizzard was it to put permanently invulnerable blue groups in the game? I think I fought with the same group of 3 blues for 10 minutes, entering and exiting the fight to get blessing-healed. In that entire back and forth, their bubble shields never go down.

I mean really, Blizzard. Like I said, it's one thing for enemies to be tough. It's another for them to be cheap. It seems to me that the only way to deal with them is to not deal with them at all by restarting the chapter.

Wallach

Man, the Auction House needs fucking help. Besides being a piece of junk in terms of functionality the amount of errors going on with this thing is crazy. They really need to sort this shit out before they try to open the RMAH.

Deadly

I posted about not receiving my item and my money being in limbo earlier today but a couple of hours later I actually received the item

KuroNeeko

I took them out quit whining it's not the end of the world.

Sure, but it's pretty big for people who like to remain spoiler-free because they're experiencing the game for the first time. You know, the game that a lot of us have waited 12 years or so to play and are trying to just get it fresh before we start running through it over and over.

In the OT and on a forum filled with similarly minded gamers, we kind of hope that people will respect that and take measures not to spoil stuff for others; especially since the game hasn't even been out a week. Not to mention that your post was just a big fat "Hey look!" If you don't want people to react negatively, try thinking about others before you throw stuff up. An extra 30 seconds of spoiler tags goes a long way.

Still going to sacrifice you with my witch doctor.

KuroNeeko

No disintegrate? I'm at about the same level, and utterly destroying shit with Hydra and disintegrate as my main skills.

I was playing with it for a while and really liked the damage. It's a solid skill, but I wanted to concentrate more on Hydra and Meteor. I also like to stay as mobile as possible so the mounted cannon approach didn't really fit with me.

Einbroch

Banned
Holy shit. Blizzard, you've outdone yourself.

Monks are now completely worthless. Our only benefit to a group/to ourself is now nerfed to the ground. There is absolutely no reason to play a Monk anymore. Bravo. Simply amazing.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
so just beat act 2 boss on NM. based on ppl saying how hard it was, i was expecting a fight. uhhh lol. i never got down past half health. hes one of the easiest bosses to dodge imo

i'm at 1003 damage, ~11k HP (12.5k for all intents and purposes; war cry is never down and i use the 10% health buff for now), and my skills consist of http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVYTkP!Vbe!ZbZbbZ

Alot harder for me...but I only had like 2.5-2.8k HP with buff lol. But I had like 3000 damage with other buffs.

spootime

Monks are now completely worthless. Our only benefit to a group/to ourself is now nerfed to the ground. There is absolutely no reason to play a Monk anymore. Bravo. Simply amazing.

On one hand the skill was completely broken, but on the other hand its very telling that the only thing that we could contribute to inferno groups whatsoever was a bugged ability.

Also - not only Monks are getting changes. In the thread linked before about the Monk nerfs, Bashiok goes on further to explain that there were a multitude of hotfixes affecting every class. They explicitly called out the Monk one since they effectively made that rune useless until further notice, which is a bigger change than anything else that has been done.

So don't think you're getting picked on!

A full list of hotfixes is supposed to come out tomorrow.

Exteme hyperbole much?

zoukka

Hehe this reminds me of SC2 nerfs and buffs. After each one, users from every race try to outwhine each other in how their race of choice just got made underpowered.

Einbroch

Banned
On one hand the skill was completely broken, but on the other hand its very telling that the only thing that we could contribute to inferno groups whatsoever was a bugged ability.

It was stupidly broken. But it was the ONLY thing keeping Monks alive in later Inferno acts. Without it, they're worthless solo and worthless in groups. They want Monks to dodge and be hard to hit. That's great. But when you DON'T dodge and DON'T have the BoH shield you're pretty much dead.

I'm just in awe of the ineptitude of Blizzard.

Morokh

Wait until they get PVP in, and we'll be up for good laughs like this every day !

The more I play, the less I like the new skill system, it just falls down the same pitfalls as the skill trees, and basically limits you to one unique build that plays the same whatever you do with the only advantage of being able to respec on the go, sometimes making things much easier than they should be.

zoukka

Damn it's almost as inferno was challenging. Before launch the biggest d3 whine was that it would be a cakewalk compared to d2

From the Boon of Protection hotfix thread:

Bashiok said:
Let me follow up by saying that in general class balance is an ongoing investigation, and by no means do we believe the game is now perfect, but we're also seeing evidence that supports (with a few nerfs to wizard and demon hunter) the monk and barbarian are not as bad off as they seem.

A large part of the monk and barbarian designs are based on survival models that mimic the concept of the class itself. The idea of a monk is that he survives through being agile and difficult to hit, and his healing and survival scales particularly well by focusing on mitigation stats like dodge, resists, and armor. The concept of the barb is that he survives through a huge health pool, and healing himself through damage (%life on hit stats), which is potentially a bit obvious with all the life return skills but can't be overstated.

The game is young, there were some skills that threw things out of whack, and we expect the landscape to settle out a bit more evenly. Or at least change again so we can continue to monitor the impact. Maybe we're wrong, maybe there's no current chance for monk or barbarian to compete with ranged, but our current suspicion is that's incorrect and until we know for sure we're not going to turn any dials.

dimb

The more I play, the less I like the new skill system, it just falls down the same pitfalls as the skill trees, and basically limits you to one unique build that plays the same whatever you do with the only advantage of being able to respec on the go, sometimes making things much easier than they should be.
Spec switching is actively discouraged at level sixty though, so the one thing the system is kind of good at is thrown out the window to keep the difficulty in check.

smr00

Banned
tycDi.jpg

10k+ DPS w/ over 35k HP.

crushing hell mode.

LordCanti

From the Boon of Protection hotfix thread:

I'm...I'm sorry. I'm not sure I read that correctly. Nerfs to DH?

Nerfs to the class that can only take one or two hits in Inferno? The class that pretty much has to stand way back and pray that the (now nerfed) monk holds the hordes off long enough for our AOE skills to do their magic?

I'd flip a table but I don't have any left.

Shouta

Ugh, I come to the thread and see they're nerfing Boon of Protection, that's just dumb. There's some way worse shit in the game than that. The dodge rates aren't high enough for Monk and aside from the base -30% damage reduction, doesn't get natural resist, how are we supposed to keep up, especially when most of our healing is high spirit/low return.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
All the "I can't do shit in inferno :(" whining is kind of silly considering that, the whole point of inferno is it's supposed to be really, really hard. Plus, people haven't even begun to figure out what the best-of-the-best gear is, and inferno was probably balanced for that equipment in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom