• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 @ Blizzcon [Update: Information And Videos Added]

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Damn.
That presentation was ace.

Very glad to see skill runes changed and they are having lots of fun with it.
Also good was to see that traits were stupidly large noticeable bonuses. Thank you Blizzard.

koji

Right, guess I know what class I'll be playing at launch, looks friggin sweet. Love playing rangers in hack 'n slashers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

glaurung

I don't get it, was that supposed to be all rendered with the in-game engine or not? Some scenes show distinct aliasing on the corpses, the demon hunter's armor and the girl's hair, which all lead me to believe that it was in-game. If that is the case, that stuff is awesome.

However, the demon with the big teeth looks ugly as hell and does not quite fit in the whole thing.

The game play sequences looked messy to me. Then again, scatter shots always look messy.

Are Blizzard beginning to decline when it comes to story and presentation in their game? The gameplay in their titles is still very good, but crappy story and characters in Starcraft II (played 14 missions of it) and the trailers from Diablo III is not even close to the stuff they did for Diablo II, Warcraft III and much of the stuff from World of Warcraft.

Meeru

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Are Blizzard beginning to decline when it comes to story and presentation in their game? The gameplay in their titles is still very good, but crappy story and characters in Starcraft II (played 14 missions of it) and the trailers from Diablo III is not even close to the stuff they did for Diablo II, Warcraft III and much of the stuff from World of Warcraft.
You know what..this game is far from finished. You're going to regret what you said. Because once the game is actually near completion will you see epic CG movies and whatnot from Blizzard.

valenti said:
You know what..this game is far from finished. You're going to regret what you said. Because once the game is actually near completion will you see epic CG movies and whatnot from Blizzard.

Regret? I asked a question based on my impressions from both these trailers AND their last game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
valenti said:
The CG was pretty sparse and short in SC2.

I don't blame them though. CG is ridiculously expensive.

One thing I'm disappointed about with the Diablo 3 movies are the attitude. All of the original Diablo and the Diablo 2 movies were presented in the likeness of a horror story. where there was an overwhelming evil that was destroying everything and the hero was merely doing what they needed to catch up. In the diablo 3 movies its like watching an action movie. Heroes flipping about killing all the undead and demons like its child's play. It presents no real illusion of danger or threat.

Takuan

Looks like most of D3's cinematics will be using the real-time engine instead of CG. I don't mind if it means we get the game sooner. Starcraft's were alright.

Meeru

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
One thing I'm disappointed about with the Diablo 3 movies are the attitude. All of the original Diablo and the Diablo 2 movies were presented in the likeness of a horror story. where there was an overwhelming evil that was destroying everything and the hero was merely doing what they needed to catch up. In the diablo 3 movies its like watching an action movie. Heroes flipping about killing all the undead and demons like its child's play. It presents no real illusion of danger or threat.
This I agree

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nirolak said:
I'd expect Diablo 3 in late Summer 2011 actually since I think Activision likes to keep the games spaced out a bit from Call of Duty.

Doesn't seem to be affecting when they release Cataclysm.

Scalemail Ted said:

here fucking here

anytime you knock D3 now though everyone just goes LOLOLOL emo goth, meh whatever

this is what diablo is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w44SmMFy5Dc

not flippy girl power animu cutscenes

raphier

Banned
EatChildren said:
That...was pretty friggen shit compared to the quality Blizzard usually deliver for cinematics and trailers.

Cool class though and probably my first choice.
Agreed. ugh, besides the graphics it was also way too wannabe "epic". Epic for sake of epic doesn't really work here blizzard.

Scalemail Ted said:
Exactly my point, thank you.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ZombieSupaStar said:
here fucking here

anytime you knock D3 now though everyone just goes LOLOLOL emo goth, meh whatever

this is what diablo is

Sigh, that link takes me back... and yes I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment. That demonhunter cutscene reminded me more of some lame commercial for a dragon age-esque game.

But whaddaya gonna do, companies change, people change, stuff gets worse/better.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Double crossbows is meh. I liked to demon arm concept a lot.
Scalemail Ted said:
Someone at Blizz really liked what they saw in the Dragon Age trailers.

Corky said:
But whaddaya gonna do, companies change, people change, stuff gets worse/better.

eh its just a sign of our times, everyone wants instant zomg cotton candy fluff, not that its bad in moderation but its like everyone became a.d.d., instant gratification, "ohh look shiny!" people over night or something.

54-46!

Is the girl (not the Demon Hunter) in the in-engine trailer the same girl that was in the CG announcement trailer?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ZombieSupaStar said:
eh its just a sign of our times, everyone wants instant zomg cotton candy fluff, not that its bad in moderation but its like everyone became a.d.d., instant gratification, "ohh look shiny!" people over night or something.

aye, it's a shame really. Even though I wishfully hope this current phase will fade out in the future, the cynic in my tells me it's only going to get worse :(

/grympyoldman

V_Arnold

ZombieSupaStar said:
here fucking here

this is what diablo is

You do not know what you are talking about if this is power animu for ya.
That is one thing, and the other is that that is Diablo 1 for you, and you can play it anytime you want. What is the problem?

Diablo 2 was Diablo 2, not Diablo 1, and Diablo 3 will be Diablo 3, not Diablo 1 HD or Diablo 2 Remake.

Scalemail Ted said:

The Diablo 3 reveal trailer showed quite the horror, and therefore I really think we should just see these character introduction trailers as they are: ingame engine stuff which demonstrates some of the abilities of the class. Nothing more, nothing less. Based off the Diablo 3 CG we have, it seems quite likely that the horroristic theme will stay in the act ending scenes just like with D2, and you will not see these class trailers anywhere in the final product. They are made for intrductional purposes for events and cons, not for setting the mood. And no matter how anyone slices it, INGAME you still do that crazy stuff, horror setting or not horror setting. You bounce, you shine, you kill huge packs of monsters, you roam around, you use insanely colored potions, encounter shining insanely colored mobs, etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ZealousD said:
Doesn't seem to be affecting when they release Cataclysm.
I think they feel there is less overlap between MMO players and PC CoD players than there is between non-MMO players and PC CoD players.

54-46! said:
Is the girl (not the Demon Hunter) in the in-engine trailer the same girl that was in the CG announcement trailer?
Well, she certainly looks similar.

dhcwodkx.png

Zen

Banned
Nirolak said:
The CG was pretty sparse and short in SC2.

I don't blame them though. CG is ridiculously expensive.

I don't think that his point had much to do with CG cutscenes though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zen said:
I don't think that his point had much to do with CG cutscenes though.
To be honest, I'm not expecting the thematic elements or writing quality to change much between now and release after this many years of development, so something like CG cutscenes coming to completion seems like the most likely change we will see by launch, and judging by SC2, there probably won't be much of that either.

I'd love to be wrong and see giant thematic and writing improvements, but I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

John_B

Please stop complaining. The game will be fucking awesome.

Great idea to get rid of the old attributes system and split the passive and active skills up into two different systems. Also the skill runes were fucking awesome.

They did not tell if we would be able to respec traits, but I'm pretty sure that is possible. Also on the panel the lead designer said something about respeccing should be very easy? I really hope they get rid of all that stupid "go see a dude in some town and pay him some gold and you can now respec".

It would also be nice to have some sort of wardrobe and be able to switch between 2 builds (2 sets of choosen traits/skills) for jumping between pve and pvp. I haven't played WoW since Burning Crusade, but doing Arena was always such a pain because of the time it took to go from raiding build to pvp build.

Teknoman said:
Hopefully it can hold a candle to Matt's stuff. As long as its not "generic epic music". Then again, Blizzard isnt really one to cut corners right?

I hope so too. And indeed they're not. I just hope they're aware of what they had with Matt, can't believe they let him go.

Scalemail Ted said:

ZombieSupaStar said:
here fucking here

this is what diablo is

Agreed, I'm starting to get a bit of a bad feeling about DIII. At least regarding the tone of the whole thing.

John_B

Nirolak said:
This is a discussion forum. If you don't want to have a discussion, then don't bother posting in the thread.
Oh come on, don't be grumpy. People are going a bit overboard by nitpicking everything and feel disappointed in stuff we are just speculating about.

If there ever was no reason to feel worried about the development of a video game, then this would probably be it.

V_Arnold

John_B said:
Oh come on, don't be grumpy. People are going a bit overboard by nitpicking everything and feel disappointed in stuff we are just speculating about.

If there ever was no reason to feel worried about the development of a video game, then this would probably be it.

The better the games a developer makes, the stronger the urge to speculate they will now suddenly make the worst product ever. We just gotta deal with it, because this is how it works. This is what rocks nowadays. Blizzard, never before doing one bad game , and now Diablo III is doomed. For having colors. Or for not having them. For being too vivid. For not being too vivid. For creating dark cg. For not creating dark enough cg. For everything :)

This game could get bashed to hell and back, but when it is released, and I finally get to click on "New Character", it wont matter anymore.

MYE

Scalemail Ted said:

100% agreed.

THIS is Diablo

sigh

KAL2006

Banned
seems the only characters that are not represented in this game are
Paladin, Druid, Necromancer

You have
Wizard - which is Sorcerer
Barbarian
Demon Hunter - which is Amazon and Rogue
Monk - which is Assassin
Witch Doctor - which is similar to Necromancer but not close enough

If there is an expansion I am guessing Paladin and Druid will be announced if not then a class that is similar to those.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
V_Arnold said:
You do not know what you are talking about if this is power animu for ya.
That is one thing, and the other is that that is Diablo 1 for you, and you can play it anytime you want. What is the problem?

Diablo 2 was Diablo 2, not Diablo 1, and Diablo 3 will be Diablo 3, not Diablo 1 HD or Diablo 2 Remake.

The Diablo 3 reveal trailer showed quite the horror, and therefore I really think we should just see these character introduction trailers as they are: ingame engine stuff which demonstrates some of the abilities of the class. Nothing more, nothing less. Based off the Diablo 3 CG we have, it seems quite likely that the horroristic theme will stay in the act ending scenes just like with D2, and you will not see these class trailers anywhere in the final product. They are made for intrductional purposes for events and cons, not for setting the mood. And no matter how anyone slices it, INGAME you still do that crazy stuff, horror setting or not horror setting. You bounce, you shine, you kill huge packs of monsters, you roam around, you use insanely colored potions, encounter shining insanely colored mobs, etc.

Oh bullshit. Diablo III can still be its own game without becoming run of mill "epic" action fantasy like something straight out of Bioware. And ZSS just showed one example. Diablo 2 was heavy on the oppressive atmosphere in its cutscenes as well

V_Arnold said:
The better the games a developer makes, the stronger the urge to speculate they will now suddenly make the worst product ever. We just gotta deal with it, because this is how it works. This is what rocks nowadays. Blizzard, never before doing one bad game , and now Diablo III is doomed. For having colors. Or for not having them. For being too vivid. For not being too vivid. For creating dark cg. For not creating dark enough cg. For everything :)

This game could get bashed to hell and back, but when it is released, and I finally get to click on "New Character", it wont matter anymore.

Then ignore it if it doesnt actually matter to you.

poisonelf

I honestly can't understand the compulsion some people seem to have to quench criticism, forbid opposing views etc.

Diablo was a game beloved by thousands and thousands, of course there are concerns, why the fuck not ? I loved that game, sacrificed a year off my life, and yeah, I have every right to express complains and/or fears regarding what I'm seeing. This a games' discussion forum for fuck's sake, it's not like Blizzard is going to listen to us.

Speculation? Entire levels and all classes are being shown.

And yeah, I too dislike much of what I'm seeing. I also like quite a lot of it, but it's obviously not what a lot of Diablo fans were expecting. These guys seem to almost have a grudge against Blizzard North choices, and now, under the almighty WoW pass (we made the behemoth, we know best), they impose some of their ideas.

The character intro movies are a joke, the little red floating orbs straight out of console games disgust me, the jerky cartoonish movement and feel of some enemies annoy me, and the color is too much in some cases. Look, I have opinions, how dare I.
A lot of the gameplay looks to be a lot of fun, and I like the music so far.

I'm afraid they're falling into the same trap that many of their competitors in the MMO world did. The competitors tried to copy WoW, and no one wants a WoW clone, WoW is best at what it does.
Now Blizzard wants to copy from WoW because it's oh so super and everyone loves it. Well... no. Those who love WoW already play WoW, and the thousands waiting for a Diablo game want a Diablo game.

It looks more than nice actually, but I personally find much of the criticism to be valid.

V_Arnold

poisonelf said:
I'm afraid they're falling into the same trap that many of their competitors in the MMO world did. The competitors tried to copy WoW, and no one wants a WoW clone, WoW is best at what it does.
Now Blizzard wants to copy from WoW because it's oh so super and everyone loves it. Well... no. Those who love WoW already play WoW, and the thousands waiting for a Diablo game want a Diablo game.

It looks more than nice actually, but I personally find much of the criticism to be valid.

Mmkay. I have played 4 years WoW, and I just cannot see WoW in these Diablo III videos. None.

Mutombo

you don't buy games for the movies, do you, silly rabbits? So far the presentation has been more action oriented and people start to complain about this presentation style? I guess I can see where you're coming from, because you like the feeling the whole game gives you... but damn man, when youre playing you're just rapidly spamming every spell and item and punch you've got to kill the hundreds of hordes coming at you at once. So far the recent movies have mimicked THAT feeling more than that of a survival horror. Way I see it, presentation might be different but it's closer to the gameplay's style.

FleckSplat said:
Written. Spoken. Heard. Homonym confusion. Written incorrectly.

The problem is "here, here" doesn't even remotely make sense, whereas "hear, hear" makes perfect sense.

poisonelf said:
I honestly can't understand the compulsion some people seem to have to quench criticism, forbid opposing views etc.

Diablo was a game beloved by thousands and thousands, of course there are concerns, why the fuck not ? I loved that game, sacrificed a year off my life, and yeah, I have every right to express complains and/or fears regarding what I'm seeing. This a games' discussion forum for fuck's sake, it's not like Blizzard is going to listen to us.

Speculation? Entire levels and all classes are being shown.

And yeah, I too dislike much of what I'm seeing. I also like quite a lot of it, but it's obviously not what a lot of Diablo fans were expecting. These guys seem to almost have a grudge against Blizzard North choices, and now, under the almighty WoW pass (we made the behemoth, we know best), they impose some of their ideas.

The character intro movies are a joke, the little red floating orbs straight out of console games disgust me, the jerky cartoonish movement and feel of some enemies annoy me, and the color is too much in some cases. Look, I have opinions, how dare I.
A lot of the gameplay looks to be a lot of fun, and I like the music so far.

I don't want to quelch your criticism. I do, however, reserve the right to consider your complaints idiotic.

Phenomic

KAL2006 said:
seems the only characters that are not represented in this game are
Paladin, Druid, Necromancer

You have
Wizard - which is Sorcerer
Barbarian
Demon Hunter - which is Amazon and Rogue
Monk - which is Assassin
Witch Doctor - which is similar to Necromancer but not close enough

If there is an expansion I am guessing Paladin and Druid will be announced if not then a class that is similar to those.

Not true at all, if you notice what they did was try to combined some Archetypes into others. Will the full range of skills isn't represented the Monks melee definitely favors things like the Paladins Zeal, he is also a holy warrior. Necro is obviously a witch doctor, okay so you have toads instead of a skeleton etc. He's a summoner and conjurers up poison, other things. Also some of his summons also relates to druid as well maybe not fully but they had a whole summoning tree as well. Also with there melee skills one could potentally argue monk but that's getting out there.

Wizard-Sorcerer
Barbarian-Barbarian
Demon Hunter- Assassin Amazon
Monk-Paladin Assassin
Witch Doctor-Druid, Necromancer.

There are probably other skills that we don't know about that also blend in the classes a little better. I feel like they've done a great job with representing all 7 from Diablo 2 in 5.

Top Bottom