• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 @ Blizzcon [Update: Information And Videos Added]

KAL2006

Banned
Minsc said:
Blizzard cares too much about building up battle.net for it to release on a console imo. To the point where battle.net > games, as in, if they couldn't distribute battle.net they'd probably not even have bothered with the new sequels.

I haven't really read up about Battle.net, what are the features of Battle.net and what sets it apart form something like COD matchmaking.

Minsc said:
Blizzard cares too much about building up battle.net for it to release on a console imo. To the point where battle.net > games, as in, if they couldn't distribute battle.net they'd probably not even have bothered with the new sequels.

And to add to that, it's no secret that on the other side of the company at Activision, they've voiced their displeasure in not getting a piece of Live revenue even though their game is the topped played game on the service.

Minsc

Gold Member
KAL2006 said:
I haven't really read up about Battle.net, what are the features of Battle.net and what sets it apart form something like COD matchmaking.

I think the big one is that Blizzard retains 100% control over what happens with Battle.net and there's nothing but Blizzard games on it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Minsc said:
I think the big one is that Blizzard retains 100% control over what happens with Battle.net and there's nothing but Blizzard games on it.
They also get 100% of the revenue (sans credit card fees) from anything bought on it.

KAL2006

Banned
Minsc said:

yes that is obvious, but what I am saying is what features does Battle.net have over Xbox Live and a game with standard matchmaking (such as COD)

Proelite

Warcraft IV:

Hero gets gears and skills trees ala wow.
Army units gets simpler customizations.
More steampunk.
Population limit doubled.

KAL2006 said:
yes that is obvious, but what I am saying is what features does Battle.net have over Xbox Live and a game with standard matchmaking (such as COD)
Well, there is extensive stat tracking and features like replays. Granted, this isn't exclusive to Battle.net, but it goes beyond standard Live integration for multiplayer games. But the point that people are getting at is that Battle.net is a very big deal for them. It's not that they'd be sacrificing key multiplayer functionality utilizing PSN or Live in as much as it is that they just won't want to deal with it. They have put a lot of resources into growing Battle.net. It's a service they own and control, and games developed for it are completely integrated with it. Battle.net isn't just an overlay accessed by a button press or shift-tab, it's right there at practically every level of the game.

ThatGuy

SatelliteOfLove said:
Only if Jeff Kaplan is doing the keynoting. His last keynote was shockingly precient.
As I said some posts before Paul Sams already said in an interview with FORBES one week ago that this Blizzcon they don't announce the next gen MMO.

so does anyone know when Blizzcon kicks off UK time

6pm on Friday

KAL2006

Banned
so half an hour before BlizzCOn kicks off, I am hoping they get right into Diablo 3

Rumour is that new character class will be announced today at 12pm-1pm
31Pss.jpg

Lothars

Im pumped I can't wait to see what the new class is, I think I will be getting the stream but will have to watch it once I get home.

Ri'Orius

Proelite said:
Warcraft IV:

Hero gets gears and skills trees ala wow.
Army units gets simpler customizations.
More steampunk.
Population limit doubled.

...seriously? You do know that Starcraft 2 just came out? And they've got two planned expansions for it? Why would they make a new RTS?

Q8D3vil

Ri'Orius said:
...seriously? You do know that Starcraft 2 just came out? And they've got two planned expansions for it? Why would they make a new RTS?
its blizzard...
announcement 2010
release date 2016 minimum

Instro

Damn Im gonna be out while some of the D3 stuff is going on.PVP panel should be interesting though, I hope they announce a release date as well
yeah right

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Q8D3vil said:
its blizzard...
announcement 2010
release date 2016 minimum

Regardless, their RTS team is still busting out on Starcraft II. We won't see a Warcraft IV announcement until after Legacy of the Void I'm guessing.

Here's my expected timeline.

Diablo III - Late 2011
SCII: Heart of the Swarm - Late 2011 or Early 2012
WoW Expansion #4 - Late 2012 / Early 2013
Diablo III Expansion - Sometime in 2013
SCII: Legacy of the Void - Sometime in 2013

The announcement of their next MMO will probably occur sometime within 2011-2013. Maybe just after the fourth WoW expansion. Warcraft IV announcement won't be until after 2015.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's the Demon Hunter. Sorry paladin fans~~~

cwmartin

wish i could see the diablo panel. Love diablo, I can't stand watching wow since i stopped playing, trying to suck me back in!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
thetrin said:
It's the Demon Hunter. Sorry paladin fans~~~
I'm confounded as to why people were ever guessing anything but an archer.

I mean, there's been an archer in every single Diablo game.

ZealousD said:
Regardless, their RTS team is still busting out on Starcraft II. We won't see a Warcraft IV announcement until after Legacy of the Void I'm guessing.

Here's my expected timeline.

Diablo III - Late 2011
SCII: Heart of the Swarm - Late 2011 or Early 2012
WoW Expansion #4 - Late 2012 / Early 2013
Diablo III Expansion - Sometime in 2013
SCII: Legacy of the Void - Sometime in 2013

The announcement of their next MMO will probably occur sometime within 2011-2013. Maybe just after the fourth WoW expansion. Warcraft IV announcement won't be until after 2015.
I'd expect Diablo 3 in late Summer 2011 actually since I think Activision likes to keep the games spaced out a bit from Call of Duty.

I'd expect Heart of the Swarm in April 2012 at the earliest since they seem to want to keep it to one non-WoW Blizzard game a fiscal year, with two Call of Duty games coming in the fiscal years where they don't have a WoW expansion pack.

VaLiancY

cwmartin said:
wish i could see the diablo panel. Love diablo, I can't stand watching wow since i stopped playing, trying to suck me back in!

You missed out on raining toads and zombie bears. It was awesome.:lol

I'm starting to get really worried about Diablo 3's music. Haven't heard anything that is remotely as good as the stuff in D1 and 2.

NeoUltima

Fallout-NL said:
I'm starting to get really worried about Diablo 3's music. Haven't heard anything that is remotely as good as the stuff in D1 and 2.
Never cared for D2 music. D1s' was dope though.

Repgnar

Diablo 3 is like Star Wars: The Old Republic for me, i'll keep an eye on the information that comes out but I hope they take all the time they need to get it done. Hopefully a release date comes soon but it's not a big deal if they don't talk about one at Blizzcon. A new trailer would be awesome, always loved the way Blizzard did trailers for their games.

NeoUltima said:

It's pretty similar though.

... Man, I actually listen to stuff on a regular basis. The soundtrack is maybe what I love most about the Diablo games when I think of it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn, that Diablo 3 panel had a lot of awesome info in it. Good lord at all the skill combinations and all the crazy items they are adding to the game. Seems even more in-depth than D2 was. Thats crazy.

Instro

Just finished watching the D3 panel, everything looked really cool. The addition of the Talisman is awesome, hated having to waste inventory to use charms.

Teknoman

NeoUltima said:

Everyone likes sancutary in Lut Gholein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHsiNgLrAo

Track is awesome.

EDIT: Guess im going for Monk or Wizard this time around. I like swords, but dont really like the Barbarian style.

Fallout-NL said:

Hopefully it can hold a candle to Matt's stuff. As long as its not "generic epic music". Then again, Blizzard isnt really one to cut corners right?

Totakeke

EatChildren said:
That...was pretty friggen shit compared to the quality Blizzard usually deliver for cinematics and trailers.

Cool class though and probably my first choice.

I thought the same thing. It was pretty cheesy and badly edited.

Top Bottom