• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Matrix Awakens Tech Analysis + PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X Performance Analysis

Vognerful

They’re the ones that help facilitate this Khalid culture, yet they sit back and laugh about it as if they’re above it all.

While I agree, it’s all nonsense and noise, they’re full of shit if they don’t think comparisons are what fuels all this bullshit. They literally started out on Gaf, signal boosted here balls deep in the wars when grassgate was a thing.

The fanatical comparisons of war camps are what drives their engagement. If it were just normal neutral tech people watching and discussing, that engagement would be far less, they know it, we know it, let’s not kid ourselves.
You can choose not to get involve in it, especially when their latest videos (especially this one) are far from it.

Riky

$MSFT
Ah yes, I'm familiar with with DF agenda, where they cover up PS5 wins, like in Ghostrunner, Skyrim, Elden Ring and Little Nightmares 2. Or when they covered up the game stuttering issue on the XSX in Battlefield 2042.

Truly they are devious bastards.

I think some people had pinned all hopes on UE5 showing the secret sauce after the original demo. Now it turns out it runs just as well on everything else, go back to the original thread and it raises quite a few smiles.
PC demo will be most interesting to see how far it can go and what the minimum spec is. Also when The Coalition get stuff like VRS into the engine as they are planning we will see some nice performance gains.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I don't think a joke here that leaves Alex bad is a good idea here if it were true that you respect his work....

And no, I'm not the person who said what you're misrepresenting. I said that Epic (the smoll team that create Matrix demo) is more adapted to PS5 and knows the tools better and is more familiar with PS5 than with XSeries which they have not worked until today in collaboration with TC. Among other things as They participate prominently in the design of the console and develop a specific technical demo for it. You appreciate the difference ?
My thinking does not imply any conspiracy. It is simply objective that EPIC (specifically the developers in charge of the demo) already have an experience of several years with the tools and features of PS5 and that is very important when it comes to getting the best performance in the shortest time.
Their experience with XSX is nil
and TC's help may have been needed to cater for XBox versions. Especially to cater and offer a version worthy of XSS.

It is 100% certain that TC is doing the same job of helping the different XGS studies that are using UE5. That is, it is only a question of time and that the thing is beginning.
Now how would you know something like that? You know who created this demo? You know they have experience with PS5 but not Series X? What are their names?
They didn't make the other demo that's on the Series X? They didn't help make the engine? They didn't make Fortnite for Series consoles, which now use UE5?

Anyway we're going slightly off-topic... No need to reply.

Alex downplayed the PS5 advantage as 1fps better then when driving the car he went slower when driving on Xbox Series X not showing the slowdowns from driving fast & crashing lol
I think he means because they say the faster you travel, the more it tanks performance (with the free cam, I assume it would in theory be the same when travelling by car).

Just for the record, no, what causes performance issues is when you collide cars and nanite is switched for conventional meshes. The good old way of creating graphics is what causes these performance issues, the speed doesn't matter, that's why when Alex collide with cars on SeX the performance drops by the same amounts.

People need to pay more attention and understand better what is being said and what they're seeing before complaining.

Both consoles are performing the same (which is of course a small PS5 win for all the reasons previously discussed this year).

The interesting part, they were talking about how the streaming of assets in this game is not high at all , which means regular SSD could do the job easily.

I think you still needs the faster seek times from SSD.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Now how would you know something like that? You know who created this demo? You know they have experience with PS5 but not Series X? What are their names?
They didn't make the other demo that's on the Series X? They didn't help make the engine? They didn't make Fortnite for Series consoles, which now use UE5?

Anyway we're going slightly off-topic... No need to reply.
From what we know this demo was created for PS5 by Epic.
MS Coalition helped to make the Series version.

I don’t understand if you are trying to say MS Coalition has less experience with Series consoles? 🤔

Last edited:

FrankWza

They’re the ones that help facilitate this Khalid culture, yet they sit back and laugh about it as if they’re above it all.
That part was embarrassing and you could tell it hurt them to have to say it that way and basically admit how foolish it makes them look. If someone put a frame rate counter on them during that part they’d drop to single digits.
Those faces….you can see the anger covered up with forced smiles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That part was embarrassing and you could tell it hurt them to have to say it that way and basically admit how foolish it makes them look. If someone put a frame rate counter on them during that part they’d drop to single digits.
Those faces….you can see the anger covered up with forced smiles.
Monkey Clown GIF

Loxus

You can't be serious..... It is as if another say that in the XSX version is all the time colliding with other cars which is what usually affects the framerate more ..... You see, even no does not even highlight that PS5 has more framepacing problems but sure is biased :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Throughout the video the frame pacing the same, except for when he's driving slow on Xbox.
What video are you watching not to notice this or do you have your fanboy glasses on?

Ah yes, I'm familiar with with DF agenda, where they cover up PS5 wins, like in Ghostrunner, Skyrim, Elden Ring and Little Nightmares 2. Or when they covered up the game stuttering issue on the XSX in Battlefield 2042.

Truly they are devious bastards.
Pretty amazing to see so many conspiracy theories about DF and their 'agenda'. They even gave the PS5 the 'victory' in this demo too, figure it would be time for celebration.

I'd say the performance is pretty close between both high platforms and XSS again is delivering the same experience as the more expensive boxes with the usual resolution reductions. I'll remain hopeful all the 'concerned' gamers out there can finally rest easy. This demo was amazing.

Banhammers incoming. Really people is it worth it? ;)

On topic: I really thought the frequent drops were related to streaming issues, but apparently it's not. So, what is the bottleneck? CPU? but then again, I thought the developers said they left CPU headroom consciously to demonstrate that there is enough juice to simulate other system. If not CPU, then is it pure GPU grunt?

Darsxx82

Throughout the video the frame pacing the same, except for when he's driving slow on Xbox.
What video are you watching not to notice this or do you have your fanboy glasses on?
Running more with the car does not produce more framepacing.... That said, it is only a question of seeing the graph in the shooting scenes and it is appreciated that PS5 has more.

PS. NXG video analysis also coincides. That said, it doesn't matter either. Just highlight it to censure df's accusation of favoring XSX in the video Which is ridiculous.

rofif

Banned
Nice. So it runs about 1440p internally after all although Alex said it is almost impossible to count the pixels.
SS about 720.
All of course using TSR on top of that. DLSS would looks better but that's not on a console of course

Loxus

Banhammers incoming. Really people is it worth it? ;)

On topic: I really thought the frequent drops were related to streaming issues, but apparently it's not. So, what is the bottleneck? CPU? but then again, I thought the developers said they left CPU headroom consciously to demonstrate that there is enough juice to simulate other system. If not CPU, then is it pure GPU grunt?
It may still be a streaming issue, well kind of.

When you collide with another vehicle, your basically swapping a Nanite mesh with a regular mesh.
I suspect this is engine related and not hardware.

UE5 is technically still in development.
Epic is still working on trying to get Nanite working correctly on foliage, which is why we're yet to see any demos from Epic with foliage.

Last edited:

FrankWza

XSS again is delivering the same experience as the more expensive boxes with the usual resolution reductions.
Again? They just released a first party flagship title the other day that didn’t include the 120fps feature that’s available on series x. That’s a pretty different experience. And did you watch this video? They treat the s like an afterthought and when they do discuss it they basically brush it away so they can focus on the main consoles. They flat out say it doesn’t look good and call it deformed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Again? They just released a first party flagship title the other day that didn’t include the 120fps feature that’s available on series x. That’s a pretty different experience. And did you watch this video? They treat the s like an afterthought and when they do discuss it they basically brush it away so they can focus on the main consoles. They flat out say it doesn’t look good and call it deformed.
Dude is straight up PR :pie_roffles:

“it’s the same experience, if you don’t count the list of minuses and omissions
Animated GIF

Oh, and $300

Last edited:

Loxus

Running more with the car does not produce more framepacing.... That said, it is only a question of seeing the graph in the shooting scenes and it is appreciated that PS5 has more.

PS. NXG video analysis also coincides. That said, it doesn't matter either. Just highlight it to censure df's accusation of favoring XSX in the video Which is ridiculous.
If you really did watch the video, you would even hear John say it's related to fast traversal.

And I'm basing this off Digital Foundry's video. Even in cut scenes, frame pacing is the same.

Last edited:

elliot5

So this should prove, that UE5 is more optimized or better for PS5?
First UE5 Demo was PS5 only + Sony has a partnership with Epic.
The Coalition helped optimizing Matrix for Xbox Series consoles and Xbox is still behind PS5 (more stable and a little bit higher FPS)
this isn't proof of anything. If you listen to the DF video Epic told them this is not indicative of any performance takeaways for hardware it's all WIP/Tech Demo with severe optimization issues across the board. This isn't a retail game.

The takeaway from this demo is that Epic has some really good stuff and the implications it has on future titles / asset pipeline work and whatnot. Not performance metrics. It's much more interesting to know about the technology at hand

Last edited:

Neo_game

The Coalition helped optimizing Matrix for Xbox Series consoles and Xbox is still behind PS5 (more stable and a little bit higher FPS)

I think Stalker 2 is using UE5 so we will know next year. The fact is both console are on par with each other. It could be that SX needs more work and has potential bottleneck where as PS5 is more streamlined.

Please name a cheaper higher performing option. This demo demonstrates the same performance as the higher end consoles. It has lower resolution and that is by design. The console is $300 no one but non Xbox customers complain about unrealistic expectations placed on the budget device. Paying more and getting higher resolution isn't remarkable.

Tried it out this morning (on SX). The cutscene portion looked really good (of course), but the overworld portion just looked kinda meh. I know it’s just a tech demo, but the world didn’t seem much more impressive than something from last gen. It’s mostly the car pathing AI that’s better. Wish it let you like punch cars or something to test out the damage tech, but seeing how it ran they probably omitted that on purpose.

Im guessing this means open world games on console this gen are still going to be limited to 30fps.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Tried it out this morning (on SX). The cutscene portion looked really good (of course), but the overworld portion just looked kinda meh. I know it’s just a tech demo, but the world didn’t seem much more impressive than something from last gen. It’s mostly the car pathing AI that’s better. Wish it let you like punch cars or something to test out the damage tech, but seeing how it ran they probably omitted that on purpose.

Im guessing this means open world games on console this gen are still going to be limited to 30fps.

Yes, the differences are subtle, when running and driving about most players are not going to notice lack of pop in , RT reflections, indirect global illumination and higher detailed assets.

You literally have to be really into videogame visuals to appreciate this stuff.

onQ123

Because the demo was shown on PS5 that don't mean they didn't make the same demo for Series consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, the differences are subtle, when running and driving about most players are not going to notice lack of pop in , RT reflections, indirect global illumination and higher detailed assets.

You literally have to be really into videogame visuals to appreciate this stuff.
Again, we have come full circle. 🤭

RaZoR No1

this isn't proof of anything. If you listen to the DF video Epic told them this is not indicative of any performance takeaways for hardware it's all WIP/Tech Demo with severe optimization issues across the board. This isn't a retail game.

The takeaway from this demo is that Epic has some really good stuff and the implications it has on future titles / asset pipeline work and whatnot. Not performance metrics. It's much more interesting to know about the technology at hand
I didn't watched the video, will watch it later.
Just read some of the posts here.

Still the result of the current (of course the engine will be optimized much further) situation/demo FPS means PS5 is easier or needs less effort or am I interpreting in wrong?
Tech demo with same assets and fidelity: Currently PS5 is on top (even if it just one fps)

T-Cake

I was so in awe of this demo that I'm not sure I want Digital Foundry to spoil all the magic that I was experiencing. It'll be like that TV show "Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed" lol

Are DF just being hyperbolic when they say it is really difficult to tell the movie and game assets apart or do I have bionic eyes. The models are better than anything I've seen in a game but there is no way you would mistake one for the other at least not in a demo like this where they play them side by side.

onQ123

Finally, we can see the magic of Microsoft "waiting for a more advanced GPU" according to Alex, and the magic of the "optimized SDKs" that DigitalFoundry promised us a year ago.

No?

UE5 is still a scalable engine made to run on a number of hardware so a multiplatform demo wouldn't really tell you if the new features of the GPU will pay off or not in the long run.

Goes to show these consoles are neck to neck with performance and comes down to engines that can take small advantages.
We will only see differences with exclusive games taking advantage of bigger GPU, or faster ssd .
Ue5 is impressive and shows it can run on a potato. The frame pacing dropping frames isn't from ssd speeds or CPU it seems so might be just optimisations. This was only made with a small team and within a year, year and a half. Going to be exciting seeing games in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom