• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Ps5/Xbox Series X/S Next Gen Patch Tested

Damn. Y’all really don’t get tired of this dick measuring contest huh?
Sad part is 90% of people in this thread will not play or got any interest in playing this game.But still fight like dogs over stuff lol. My friend playing this on his new PC with SSD and a 3080, and game has more stuttering there than nextgen consoles version. So that should tell you everything about their optimisation.

Md Ray

XSX is a beast. The Spencer sauce delivers yet again.
disgusted not safe for work GIF

Last edited:
Sad part is 90% of people in this thread will not play or got any interest in playing this game.But still fight like dogs over stuff lol. My friend playing this on his new PC with SSD and a 3080, and game has more stuttering there than nextgen consoles version. So that should tell you everything about their optimisation.
If people were actually interested in the performance, they'd acknowledge that the game is optimized like shit and move on. But we're here to console war, apparently :messenger_winking:

MaKTaiL

That's also BC on Series consoles you know...
The way next gen patches work for Xbox titles differs from the Playstation approach. A new version of the game is required to use the full capabilities of PS5 whereas the support can be easily added with a patch on Xbox (they have a fancy name for it: Smart Delivery). Star Wars is still confined and limited by the PS4 Pro devkit even when played on PS5.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Stutters slightly less on PS5?

Doesnt need to drop to 1080p? Odd choice there tho.

Anotherone.gif

Series S...meh.

Last edited:

scalman

so PS5 version runs slightly better without any dynamic res stuff there so you know what res you getting any moment.
but im good i finished it 2 times on pc on 1080p maxed. its good enough.

Last edited:

Banned
The way next gen patches work for Xbox titles differs from the Playstation approach. A new version of the game is required to use the full capabilities of PS5 whereas the support can be easily added with a patch on Xbox (they have a fancy name for it: Smart Delivery). Star Wars is still confined and limited by the PS4 Pro devkit even when played on PS5.

and yet another ignorant fool who thinks he knows what he's talking about but is actually talking out of his ass.

this game does not support smart delivery. smart delivery is a term used for NATIVE Series X|S games that happen to have a last gen version (Like Assassin's Creed Valhalla for example)

you can actually look up yourself if a game is a native game or simply a BC game with a new mode.
if the file information has the Durango Dev Kit in the data and says "XboxGen9 Aware" it is a BC title with a new mode that runs in bc mode.
if it says it was made with the Scarlett dev kit and "XboxGen9" then it is actually using the full hardware features and it a native game. (in BC mode the RDNA2 enhancements are not active. in fact the GPU runs in a GCN compatibility mode)

even the patching process is different. if it is Smart Delivery it says the game "needs and Upgrade" as supposed to and Update while bc games get the usual Update message. also smart delivery games do not run on external drives.

XboxGen9 Aware games are not categorised as Smart Delivery games as there's nothing to smartly deliver, it still has the same asset files and underlying code of the One/One X version

this is not smart delivery, this is an Xbox One X game running in BC mode exactly like on PS5.

Last edited:
Two modes, achieves higher resolution, better shadows and VRR support, another one for the Tower Of Power.

I still don't think we can call the other system Weak Station 5 just yet. However if this becomes the norm it very well might be.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I guess EA is in bed with MS? No technical reason explains the laziness involved.
It's more like BC patch, it does not even have those X|S annotation in Xbox Dashboard, so they probably just tuned the values...

It's more like BC patch, it does not even have those X|S annotation in Xbox Dashboard, so they probably just tuned the values...

When it comes to BC the PS5 stinks for those types of things. I think you actually need a PS5 version to make those kinds of changes.

M1chl

When it comes to BC the PS5 stinks for those types of things. I think you actually need a PS5 version to make those kinds of changes.
Yeah I know, but nothing in the file info/badge suggest, that this is anysort of "next-gen" patch. If not wrong Warzone for example has X|S badge, for it's 120hz mode...

Yeah I know, but nothing in the file info/badge suggest, that this is anysort of "next-gen" patch. If not wrong Warzone for example has X|S badge, for it's 120hz mode...

I don't have a PS5 but a read that a game receives a PS5 label if it's the PS5 version. Which is what happened with Destiny 2 for example.

M1chl

I don't have a PS5 but a read that a game receives a PS5 label if it's the PS5 version. Which is what happened with Destiny 2 for example.
Oh okay, that has X|S label. So maybe this is something akin to Cyberpunk, which has unlocked framerate, with same res for example. Sounds like it...

Oh okay, that has X|S label. So maybe this is something akin to Cyberpunk, which has unlocked framerate, with same res for example. Sounds like it...

That's what I'm guessing as well and we know the wrapper gives Xbox more advantages with BC at the expense of being higher level.

Fake

The problem is not UE, this game optimization-wise is a fucking mess.

There are bunch of UE games facing similar problem (Days Gone, Kingdom Hearts 3). The Unreal Engine is quite unstable or heavily CPU bound. I really want to bash the optimization, but to be honest most of them have similarity with frame rate.

Mahavastu

Yepp, looks like a lazy, easy to do patch.

BUT they did a patch at all. If I would get such a lazy next gen patch (High res 60 fps) for most major games on my PS5 I would be much happier. So far the number with such patches is very limited :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:
and yet another ignorant fool who thinks he knows what he's talking about but is actually talking out of his ass.

this game does not support smart delivery. smart delivery is a term used for NATIVE Series X|S games that happen to have a last gen version (Like Assassin's Creed Valhalla for example)

you can actually look up yourself if a game is a native game or simply a BC game with a new mode.
if the file information has the Durango Dev Kit in the data and says "XboxGen9 Aware" it is a BC title with a new mode that runs in bc mode.
if it says it was made with the Scarlett dev kit and "XboxGen9" then it is actually using the full hardware features and it a native game. (in BC mode the RDNA2 enhancements are not active. in fact the GPU runs in a GCN compatibility mode)

even the patching process is different. if it is Smart Delivery it says the game "needs and Upgrade" as supposed to and Update while bc games get the usual Update message. also smart delivery games do not run on external drives.

XboxGen9 Aware games are not categorised as Smart Delivery games as there's nothing to smartly deliver, it still has the same asset files and underlying code of the One/One X version

this is not smart delivery, this is an Xbox One X game running in BC mode exactly like on PS5.

This. I have explained exactly the same thing for Cyberpunk running on series X, this is exactly the same situation, that's BC mode with simply few settings changed. But the game engine is not optimised and updated to use the new hardware features.

waquzy

VRR is cool but it's not like it's some secret Xbox sauce. It's coming to PlayStation soon, right?
Secret sauce? Not at all, just a firmware update will bring it over to PS5, easy.

VRR is cool and all, but only if you have a spare £1000 to spend. In short, it's not really worth it. All VRR does for XSX at the moment is it masks it's underperforming hardware, simple as that.

DustQueen

Banned
This. I have explained exactly the same thing for Cyberpunk running on series X, this is exactly the same situation, that's BC mode with simply few settings changed. But the game engine is not optimised and updated to use the new hardware features.

Even more, as far as I know BC mode cuts in half available gpu resources.
So it is not just features

Exanthus

Banned
Great game, changes are welcome.
Looking forward to the next game where it can take true advantage of next gen.

Banned
Even more, as far as I know BC mode cuts in half available gpu resources.
So it is not just features

it doesn't cut half the resources, that was the Xbox One X when running Xbox One games. it used half the GPU (3TF)
the Series X in BC mode runs in a GCN compatibility mode (which is apparently an RDNA standard feature... most likely put there with consoles in mind) so it is basically a 12TF GCN gpu in that mode.

ethomaz

Banned
Something up with the PS5 as many game developers can't give it a quality mode? Xbox no issues.
Something up with Series X as many game developers can’t make it run at higher resolution? PS5 has no issue running at minimum 1200p in this game.

Last edited:

Rea

There's one thing wrong about what john saying, that ps4 pro quality mode was 1620p. In the original old video he was saying that ps4 pro quality mode was top out at 1260p.
bu6j7Bw.jpg
WIsZypM.jpg

And he was wondering why ps5 doesn't have Quality mode, lol. Its obvious that ps5 is using ps4 pro quality mode with fixed resolution instead of DRS in ps4 pro with also 60fps. There's no reason for ps5 to have quality mode.Ps5 backward compatibility is limited to ps4 pro maximum resolution. In order to increase resolution in ps5, devs need to port the game to native ps5 version. That's alot of work. DF is very disappointing lately. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom