• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ghost of Tsushima: PS5 vs PS4 Pro - The 60fps Difference!

I am glad I waited for the PS5 to play this game. Hoping that TLOU2 and FF7:R both get a similar boost/upgrade soon.

GoT is a wonderful game. Truly wonderful. According to my PS5, I have played 150 hours so far. I just need to do the raid in multiplayer and I will have all trophies 100 percent'd.

I can't imagine not playing the game at 60fps. According to DF, nothing else was changed over the Pro version, still 1800p checkerboarded, still lower AF than a NG game would use, etc, so they just simple changed the FR cap to 60. I have to imagine this is relatively simple to do? Hoping more and more developers do this for their PS4 games.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Seems that just by unlocking the full clock speed of the PS5 GPU, the game runs 2x faster than the PS4 Pro at a minimum.

As Richard suspects, the game probably could have upped the resolution but this was a simple patch.

It plays amazingly on PS5, but I didn't notice a monumental difference. However that could be due to taking a month off of playing the game once I found out about the PS5 patch.

Hezekiah

Banned
Seems that just by unlocking the full clock speed of the PS5 GPU, the game runs 2x faster than the PS4 Pro at a minimum.

As Richard suspects, the game probably could have upped the resolution but this was a simple patch.
Any word on whether a 4k mode is likely to come for this and other first-party games in the future?

Arkam

I started this game on a Pro and finished on a PS5. It felt like a huge jump in fidelity. The frame rate bump alone made me fumble a few duels. On PS5 on a good 4k screen, this game is beautiful.

RNK

Where are them frame rate unlock patches for my other similar favorites (TLOUII, FF7 Remake, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne) :(
Yeah i'm really surprised more devs haven't unlocked the frame rate of their high end titles. I don't know the difficulty of that, but as Richard said, it seems like low hanging fruit. Full on next gen patches would be amazing, but if not, at least uncapping the frame rate should be a must.

Bartski

Gold Member
there is no going back after trying, the difference is enormous especially in large battles. In Legends survival mode you can have 15+ enemies on screen with all kinds of FX happening all at once (magic, smoke, bombs, AOEs...) and it runs without a hitch.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Yeah i'm really surprised more devs haven't unlocked the frame rate of their high end titles. I don't know the difficulty of that, but as Richard said, it seems like low hanging fruit. Full on next gen patches would be amazing, but if not, at least uncapping the frame rate should be a must.
Naughty dog will probably try monetise it.

As for SSM, who the fuck nows - they released God of War with an uncapped frame rate only to patch it out soon after. I’m not a developer but it would seem easy to just uncap it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing this on ps5 for two weeks now and it feels so great control-wise. The smoothness of the controls, bolstered by the steady frame rate, makes it a sublime experience.

I wasn’t sure if I’d take to the game (been left feeling bored by open world games for a bit) but after experiencing the upgrades, getting familiar with the exciting combat - which always makes me feel like a badass - and exploring the beautiful island, I’ve been rather hooked. It’s still too early to tell if I’ll make it to the finale, but things are looking up.

I’d recommend playing it on ps5 to nearly anyone halfway interested.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Finished Valhalla the other day so started ghost up on ps5, wow looks amazing. If the frame rate didn’t get cut in half when they swap to video I would swear it was a ps5 game.

giphy.gif

Look amazing at 60fps. My ONLY complaint about GoT was it's framerate.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I love how more Console players are figuring out that 60fps makes a difference to games, not only in gameplay smoothness but in image presentation and feel of responsiveness

Bo_Hazem

Banned
now if the game makers get that message is another story.

The performance modes if done right like AC Valhalla, Performance RT on Spiderman MM, Immortal Fenyx Rising performance mode then they are the best! I had to play fidelity mode on Spiderman MM and it was wonderful, but Performance RT is the best. The sacrifice in resolution this time around isn't massive for 60fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom