• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF Clips] DriveClub: PS5 at 60FPS vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro Unlocked!

Senua

I love how this 9 year old game still looks better than most racing games today. Why has no other racer come close to the rain effects? Apart from a mod for assetto Corsa. GT7s and Forzas windshield rain effects look like shit in comparison. I just find it bizzare

Whitecrow

Banned
Please. Have you seen the broken shit being churned out these days?
Driveclub got DELISTED from the store. You cant buy it.
A lot of shit had to be going behind the scenes.

A prediction of a game not doing well matters when you pitch the idea, not when you already have the product ready to sell.

These days it’s unfortunately normal to churn out broken shit to the level that publishers don’t care anymore, which is the worst situation possible for us gamers.

At the time of DC release, games were still supposed to be pretty good immediately on release and even though I love the game to my bones, it wasn’t very good at release. I can see why they did what they did with closing the studio down and they actually should do this nowadays still, too much crap comes out now and if you pay for a game to play it day one you have to suffer for months or years until patches are released that make the game bearable.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yes. But Driveclub was a special kind of broken. It was the kind of broken that gave Sony a huge black eye because they couldn't deliver on the very much hyped PlayStation Plus edition that they were advertising to sell subscriptions. The game was already in the bargain bin before they delivered on their promises. At least they gave a ton of DLC away for free to try to make up for it, but the fact that they had to do it killed any confidence in that team.

To address your earlier point, arcade racers really don't sell that well any more regardless. That's why we don't get that many compared to the PS360 days.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Why has no other racer come close to the rain effects? Apart from a mod for assetto Corsa. GT7s and Forzas windshield rain effects look like shit in comparison. I just find it bizzare
Yeah and the devs are spread out at several studios but it really makes you wonder if the rain physics guy just quit his job and the industry altogether, as you say no game has had similar effects.

I see water physics in general being bad too very often and it was ages ago since Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance did the water rings effects. It can be such a letdown to walk through a puddle or swim and nothing at all happens, feels like the character isn’t connected to the game world.

UnNamed

Banned
Maybe it's just me but I have a problem with this video of DC on GAF.

Because (some) people keep saying DC is gorgeous only on tiny gifs, but on my conputer it's gorgeous as well at 1080p.

Please mod fix this.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We lost Evolution Studios because they shipped a broken game, not because someone thought arcade racers wouldn't do well.
Add to the Driveclub PS+ edition that people demanded had more content and refused to buy the retail version because Sony promise something they didn't.
Evo giving into to the demands that not being enough and you got yourself a failed launch that Evo paid for because people wanted stuff for free

ReBurn

Gold Member
Add to the Driveclub PS+ edition that people demanded had more content and refused to buy the retail version because Sony promise something they didn't.
Evo giving into to the demands that not being enough and you got yourself a failed launch that Evo paid for because people wanted stuff for free
Definitely. A lot of people were waiting for the promised Plus edition because there was so much promised that they didn't want to invest in the retail game. I had already bought the game new for $20 before the Plus edition was available.

Reactions: TGO

Killer8

Once the PS5 Pro drops, i'll be keeping my original PS5 around just for things like this. The list is growing:

Bloodborne at 60 / 120fps
Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled at 60fps
DriveClub at 60fps
Gravity Rush 2 at 60 / 120fps
Killzone: Shadow Fall at 60 / 120fps

Fredrik

Once the PS5 Pro drops, i'll be keeping my original PS5 around just for things like this. The list is growing:

DriveClub at 60fps
Good idea!
How do you access the higher framerates? Do you need jailbreaks etc?

Audiophile

Gold Member
What could have been..

06cnv-DCII-If-Only.jpg
06-DCII-If-Only.jpg

*cries into Cheerios*

Famipan

Could it be true that Kazunori Yamauchi got upset over the fact that DC (released in Feb 2013) looked better than PS3 game GT6 (July 2013) and how GT-series had to compete with DC?

It’s a shame since I think it’s good to have both arcade and simulator racers

chonga

Yeah and the devs are spread out at several studios but it really makes you wonder if the rain physics guy just quit his job and the industry altogether, as you say no game has had similar effects.

I see water physics in general being bad too very often and it was ages ago since Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance did the water rings effects. It can be such a letdown to walk through a puddle or swim and nothing at all happens, feels like the character isn’t connected to the game world.
I believe a lot of the heavy lifting relating to the weather effects were handled by ICE, the cross-studio support team. There was an interview clip at E3 in which one of the Evo guys was asked about dynamic weather (it was absent at initial reveal) and he said that it would be something that is coming and they've been working on it and "gave it to the ICE".

Fredrik

I believe a lot of the heavy lifting relating to the weather effects were handled by ICE, the cross-studio support team. There was an interview clip at E3 in which one of the Evo guys was asked about dynamic weather (it was absent at initial reveal) and he said that it would be something that is coming and they've been working on it and "gave it to the ICE".
Makes it even stranger since GT don’t have those rain effects either. But I guess Polyphony don’t want anybody else touching their game.
I always thought it was Evolution’s own tech. The mud in Motorstorm is the same. Nobody does that as convincing even today, Playground is close with the sand in Forza Horizon 5 but Evolution had mud spraying onto cars and it stayed, it was awesome.

Kaleinc

Banned
Like launching a 10 year old game on a new PC and don't have to rebuy the game.
Except for piece of shit Crysis, lagging and stuttering to this day

midnightAI

DriveClub at 60fps
Wait.(again), I've just thought, maybe DF can do a follow up video to this, maybe it will show the PS5 Pro is more powerful than the base PS5, can you imagine the controvesy?

(I think I'm maybe labelling the point a bit now)

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
I understand the studio shuttered, but this really should have gotten a Framerate Unlock and PS4 Pro Mode; they put out DC VR with a Pro mode just before they got shuttered. A bump to 1440p( or 2160cb); and a framerate unlock would have been child's play. Even immediately after shuttering Sony could have done it, I don't buy for one second that the codebase would be inaccessible or that anyone else couldn't have done anything with it. Even if their intentions at the time were to discontinue the game, providing such a basic update for the game wouldn't have broken the bank. I hope one day this gets fully emulated on PC and someone mods the crap out of it.

Regarding them being shuttered I really think Sony either threw the baby out with the bathwater or there was some politicking going on. Sure, the server stuff was a major cockup but with the rising tide of the PS4 and some nurturing; they very easily could have grown into much more of a major player in Sony's first party roster. DC provided a nice contrast to the more sterile GT experience. I think in the long run it was a bad decision for them and the fans. I think Driveclub + Motorstorm could have grown into much bigger franchises.

Last edited:

acm2000

I love how this 9 year old game still looks better than most racing games today. Why has no other racer come close to the rain effects? Apart from a mod for assetto Corsa. GT7s and Forzas windshield rain effects look like shit in comparison. I just find it bizzare
Pgr4 on 360 also looked stunning especially during the rain, would give my.left nut for MS to bring that back via playground games

Top Bottom