• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF- Devil May Cry 5 SE: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - The First Next-Gen Performance Face-Off

assurdum

Banned
2013 - wait for dx12, the xbone will close the gap
2020 - wait for dx12 ultimate, it will go faster now... Promised, for real, why would Phil lie about this?

You can allude that APIs will be fixed down the line, hardware... Not so. MS has played it both ways in this matter, one day they made DX and they are the top OS vendor, they're just the best at software... For hardware, people make excuses for them in the console space all the time.

So,it seems that the consoles are mostly on par, but the ps5 seems to have pretty big performance advantage in some situations... Things can only be interesting until we figure what is really going on.
I wouldn't take that occasional big advantage on ps5 as indication of something. With all respect.

Last edited:
The problem is the bandwidth is not enough to push that 44% of more compute power.
That comparison never took any of the clock speed advantage into account... Everything else being equal the advantage would be around 20%, and the series X also has a memory bandwidth advantage (bit it seems at a loss in the caches for some reason).

Anyway, 44% was never to happen, except in the dreams of those who have Phil posters on their sleeping room wall.

PS5 and XSX both ran fairly close 1080p performance mode, that's my point, even though PS5 scores a "win." They operated above 4k mode in performance and there were no like for like scenes 4k vs 1080p. The problem is, only the XSX gets a "pass" when its framerate doesn't perform as expected in performance mode. It just happens to be "broken" only when XSX doesn't "win." All other modes "yep, the power of XSX is showing!" It's a joke.
It literally gets nearly the same fps at 4k as it does 1080p. Doesn't that strike you as odd? The most logical conclusion is something isn't working right. To suggest anything else is silly.

assurdum

Banned
PS5 and XSX both ran fairly close 1080p performance mode, that's my point, even though PS5 scores a "win." They operated above 4k mode in performance and there were no like for like scenes 4k vs 1080p. The problem is, only the XSX gets a "pass" when its framerate doesn't perform as expected in performance mode. It just happens to be "broken" only when XSX doesn't "win." All other modes "yep, the power of XSX is showing!" It's a joke.
I understand the feeling. I hate when they lead such narrative just to the MS side. That's annoying and not fair.

Last edited:
PS5 and XSX both ran fairly close 1080p performance mode, that's my point. They operated above 4k mode in performance and there were no like for like scenes 4k vs 1080p. The problem is, only the XSX gets a "pass" when its framerate doesn't perform as expected in performance mode. It just happens to be "broken" only when XSX doesn't "win." All other modes "yep, the power of XSX is showing!" It's a joke.
It isnt broken because it didn't win... you have a sometimes 40 fps variation during the same scene, same fight, same enclosed environment.... nothing changing. Thats extreme. The Ps5 is wildly all over the place in the mode as well, but not as dramatic.

Truespeed

Yep, I was told that XSX would have 44% more perf in RT mode since XSX has 44% more RT Cores in CUs.

tenor.gif

Reality set in when they put it on the dyno.

Romulus

It literally gets nearly the same fps at 4k as it does 1080p. Doesn't that strike you as odd? The most logical conclusion is something isn't working right. To suggest anything else is silly.

It's not and there's no like for like comparisons between them either.

Its only working "right" when XSX isn't "winning."

Romulus

It isnt broken because it didn't win... you have a sometimes 40 fps variation during the same scene, same fight, same enclosed environment.... nothing changing. Thats extreme. The Ps5 is wildly all over the place in the mode as well, but not as dramatic.

It's just not like for like, different enemies onscreen, camera close vs far away. I can jump 40fps on an unlocked game easily doing that.

Last edited:

Caio

Xbox seems to have a consistent - if very small - advantage in three of the four modes, while its inconsistency in the high frame-rate mode is puzzling to say the least.

Very small.

I'm sorry.

From min 06:00 , high frame rate mode, PS5 can keep 120 fps while XSX drops at 75 fps, and I found this really weird... API limitations ? Looks like the GPU is being held back by "something", which cannot be CPU or memory bandwidth, of course !

Romulus

You mean it's showing by being barely above... Not even close to the promised 20%.

This is a huge hype killer for Xbox as "power" was their only advantage... Unless their studios start shipping really amazing games FAST.

Yeah I mean that's another argument altogether that can be made. So, all modes are broken I guess because its not showing anywhere near the power advantage, not even remotely close.

The only bottlenecking is the hype around the 12 TF matter. Of course Rich need to extrapolate some excuse because there is a "magnitude" of difference on the paper (which it's not even true at all, if we evaluate carefully any single aspect, as the higher bandwidth which is higher but in limited scenarios) . As always when the performance doesn't stack up in a clear superiority in the MS side, API is the standard excuse by Rich. He did the same for the X one base.

Well it's true that the API could cause some issues but it's only temporary. Let's see what happens later in the gen. He can't spend the whole generation making the claim if the issue persists years later.

Lysandros

You mean it's showing by being barely above... Not even close to the promised 20%.

This is a huge hype killer for Xbox as "power" was their only advantage... Unless their studios start shipping really amazing games FAST.
It was extremely naive to believe that a GPU with only 18% more vector ALU throughput while having a 20% deficit in nearly everything else (pixel fill rate, rasterization/polygon throughput, cache bandwidth, async compute, GE/culling ect.) would perform 18% better anyway.

Last edited:

Truespeed

It was extremely naive to believe that a GPU with only 18% more vector ALU throughput while having a 20% deficit in nearly everything else (pixel fill rate, rasterization/polygon, cache bandwidth, async compute, GE/culling ect.) would perform 18% better anyway.

You're not factoring in the API that produces that 18% theoretical advantage - which is apparently broken according to sources familiar with the matter.

i didn't say you did care about Xbox. I'm addressing my original point that you're attacking. Be specific about what I'm making up.
Me not caring about Xbox is directly about your "point"
To come to any other conclusion then this mode isn't working right is silly. Anything else seems about as reasonable as saying it's sea monkeys is the culprit.

It's just not like for like, different enemies onscreen, camera close vs far away. I can jump 40fps on an unlocked game easily doing that.
I'm not talking about a comoarison between the two. There are times the xbox drops 40isj frames during a fight with a single enemy in an enclosed environment, then jump up 20 frames. Its all over the place in a relelatively static situation.

Romulus

Me not caring about Xbox is directly about your "point"
To come to any other conclusion then this mode isn't working right is silly. Anything else seems about as reasonable as saying it's sea monkeys is the culprit.

Then you're not reading my point. I made it clear the 4k and 1080p modes don't show like for like with each other, lots of disparities between the shots with camera rotation and enemy counts. Again, I can make unlocked framerate games spike well over 100fps in games that normally do 60fps.
Now, should both consoles run at a higher framerate in performance mode? Probably, but we don't know the full story. The XSX and PS5 operate at a very similar framerate in performance mode. There's no consistent huge gap where PS5 is just constantly pulling away, its close. I just found it odd that only the XSX gets a pass as possibly "broken" in this mode. Just makes no sense to me with all the other unknown and inconsistencies to have any conclusion really. It could very well be that PS5 or Xbox are very unoptimized, but some would hate to entertain that PS5 is unoptimized because it takes away from where it wins in this comparison. There's this narrative that "ps5 is being maxed out Japan devs!" Wtf

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm not talking about a comoarison between the two. There are times the xbox drops 40isj frames during a fight with a single enemy in an enclosed environment, then jump up 20 frames. Its all over the place in a relelatively static situation.

John pointed that out, and even made mention "this one area is strange with XSX." Meaning, its not often.

PaintTinJr

oPfBDOL.png

I'm only just into the video, but if they are really claiming the picture on the right has the same rendering setup as the one on the left, then it is no wonder they incorrectly used the word "Frustrum", when they mean "Frustum" in the article text.

In this shot, it shows the PS5 has a wider field of vision and a further draw distance - because the backgrounds are perfectly aligned, but on the PS5 you can see far more of the foreground at his feat, and on the XsX the building on the right is showing another section of glass, because the near/far clip plane relationship is closer. You can also see that the PS5 is showing more balloons and specular highlights - not sure if reflections, but they probably are on each ballon - whereas the balloons on XsX look very flat, like VRS has only fully shaded the full front facing fragments.

It is the same comparison with AC. It is hard to see the differences, but both systems are doing different workloads, and in both cases the PS5 is doing more. So this is a bad start for DF IMHO, but obviously I'm only part way through the video

Lysandros

From min 06:00 , high frame rate mode, PS5 can keep 120 fps while XSX drops at 75 fps, and I found this really weird... API limitations ? Looks like the GPU is being held back by "something", which cannot be CPU or memory bandwidth, of course !
CPU can be 'somewhat' responsible for it due to specific customizations to reduce cache latency (unified L3?) as hinted recently by Matt Hargett, the principal software engineer of PS5. Especially considering low resolution/(very) high framerate of the performance mode. This mode is more likely to be CPU bound i think. There is also the matter of rasterization which doesn't scale with resolution and PS5 has a nice 20% advantage there.

Last edited:
Then you're not reading my point. I made it clear the 4k and 1080p modes don't show like for like with each other, lots of disparities between the shots with camera rotation and enemy counts. Again, I can make unlocked framerate games spike well over 100fps in games that normally do 60fps.
Now, should both consoles run at a higher framerate in performance mode? Probably, but we don't know the full story. The XSX and PS5 operate at a very similar framerate in performance mode. There's no consistent huge gap where PS5 is just constantly pulling away, its close. I just found it odd that only the XSX gets a pass as possibly "broken" in this mode. Just makes no sense to me with all the other unknown and inconsistencies to have any conclusion really. It could very well be that PS5 or Xbox are very unoptimized, but some would hate to entertain that PS5 is unoptimized because it takes away from where it wins in this comparison. There's this narrative that "ps5 is being maxed out Japan devs!" Wtf
The Japan thing is dumb... moving past that. The idea that the other modes aren't broken on the PS5 is silly to me as well. They run consistently, without the wild swings in fps that the high framerate mode experiences. The biggest slow downs you see on the PS5 are in effects heavy areas during the 4k footage. If they were experiencing wild changes in FPS without environment changes, or if the swings happened in the more demanding modes, I would agree the game is unoptomized as a whole, but that's not what you see in the video. You are arguing about two different things imo, optimization and a technical bug.

Top Bottom