• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

OOOOOHHH. So it does work like burst on Oneechanbara. Good good. :)

Pretty much :)
Keep up with your Credo practice :)

Fake edit:
Damn I need to get my Lady and Trish submission in!

Playing the Asian disc version of DMC4. Any clue who to select the bonus outfits for Trish and Lady? Seems like the alternate outfits work for the other characters, but not for them. The 300,000 orbs code worked fine and the game confirms that there has been DLC downloaded, but even after completing the game with Lady and Trish, it still won't give me access to their extra outfits. Any clue as to what is going on? I am playing on a US PS4.

Get an A rank or higher to play as Lady during credits.

B or lower and you get Trish.

^ only thing is, Pandora Revenge(Laser canon) does he it's combo uses. Mainly because it has no charge up like Dantes. I wouldn't really say it's impractical but it is more of a combo finisher.
My bad. I've been alternating between this and Arkham Knight, and I haven't gotten Dante's Pandora yet (played Vergil and Lady/Trish first), so it's been awhile. Still, it doesn't really add too much to her as a character.

Seyavesh

I miss the PC version where I could mod the Rebellion into Sparda. Never really dug the Rebellion much after using DMC1 Sparda DT.

Look how much more badass the opening is with Sparda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRWVGnsiCQk

i'm actually the other way around, i think the sparda looks pretty silly (and that the force edge looks really silly)

i ended up replacing trish's sparda with rebellion even
XLCAnsk.jpg

as for 'advanced mechanics' and trish...
i think she has just release mechanics on her volcano but that might just be placebo though. i dunno, i feel like i'm missing something obvious and there's something really cool she can do that is unlisted involving her DT or somethin'

I-hate-u

I am not really sure how to get an S rank in Human difficulty. Dante dies way too fast to get a high stylish rank, and if I get all the orbs, I end up wasting too much time :/

OniBaka

I am not really sure how to get an S rank in Human difficulty. Dante dies way too fast to get a high stylish rank, and if I get all the orbs, I end up wasting too much time :/
Get all orbs, no damage, no item and at least an A with time should do it but getting S with time shouldn't be hard.

gunbo13

Have some abysmally low numbers for Lady and Trish entries for GAF style tournament. I think the hype must have died down pretty fast... Anyway you have until Tuesday night at midnight to submit entries for Lady and Trish, and Next Tuesday night for Vergil.
There are few players who can play well enough for a tournament and some of us are likely busy. The tournament player base are likely pretty old peeps by now. lol DMC3 was 2005 so a lot of teenagers to early 20s started there (myself included), with birth dates around the mid 80s to 90s. The DMC fanbase would have kicked up in the early bunch more then the later, bunch of 90s kids doing painfully slow weapon swaps. All the youngers are into Bayonetta and its streamlined play. They never struggled a day in their action gaming lives. QTE.

I have only interest in Vergil but if I have more time for Lady and Trish, I almost promise entries. I don't want to Justin Wong the thing though so it would be great to get more people on board.

Where are more Vergil tech videos? I need to note the quirks that are out there that I have yet to see.

Afrocious

There are few players who can play well enough for a tournament and some of us are likely busy. The tournament player base are likely pretty old peeps by now. lol DMC3 was 2005 so a lot of teenagers to early 20s started there (myself included), with birth dates around the mid 80s to 90s. The DMC fanbase would have kicked up in the early bunch more then the later, bunch of 90s kids doing painfully slow weapon swaps. All the youngers are into Bayonetta and its streamlined play. They never struggled a day in their action gaming lives. QTE.

I have only interest in Vergil but if I have more time for Lady and Trish, I almost promise entries. I don't want to Justin Wong the thing though so it would be great to get more people on board.

Where are more Vergil tech videos? I need to note the quirks that are out there that I have yet to see.

Same here. I was going to only post stuff for Vergil but after dumping all the Proud Souls I got from Vergil's LDK run into Lady, I could probably submit an entry.

Sesha

Figured this would be of interest to Itsuno/Dragon's Dogma fans:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171179447&postcount=11

According to his impressions DDO feels very much like an offline DD.

Seems like it's more of an online game than something like the Souls games, but not massively like an MMO. Sounds very promising. Let's hope they can deliver.

I always thought it was a weird decision to name the weapons different. On the other hand, I could argue that Dante's just taking back the Devil Arms that the Order used to create those Gates, as opposed to him taking the soul of the demon directly as he did in DMC3. I mean he didn't get any of the demon's souls as weapons in DMC1. Instead, he got other demonic weapons (Alastor and Ifrit).

In my headcanon, demon bosses we don't get Devil Arms or Styles from are experiments by Mundus, and as such don't have souls to give. Leviathan's bio says it was an experiment, and it's the only non-generic demon boss in 3 we don't get anything from. And it's consistent with the RE4 origins of the series where Mundus was Oswell Spencer and bosses like Nightmare and Griffon were G-virus mutations.
As for Gilgamesh, Pandora and Lucifer, they were already defeated by someone. Either the Order or Sparda (or Vergil). The story only says the Order was targeting Devil Arms, which could mean either they defeated the demons themselves or someone had already done it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I always thought it was a weird decision to name the weapons different. On the other hand, I could argue that Dante's just taking back the Devil Arms that the Order used to create those Gates, as opposed to him taking the soul of the demon directly as he did in DMC3. I mean he didn't get any of the demon's souls as weapons in DMC1. Instead, he got other demonic weapons (Alastor and Ifrit).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what you've described is canon. Dante grabs each Devil Arm from the gate, as it's a small light positioned on a pedestal next to each one, not from the defeated devil.

Afrocious

So how do I master judgement cuts? I end up charging one up in the middle of an animation if I can. Dunno how you do them back to back.

Dahbomb

So how do I master judgement cuts?
You master it like you master EX Rev of Nero.

You basically just start hitting attacks one at a time and get the feel for the timing for the Perfect Judgment Cut. Like you do the first hit of Yamato and try to Judgment Cut that. Then the 2nd hit, 3rd hits, Rapid Slash, Hightime, different attacks of Aerial Rave, the alternate combos, the relaunch combo etc.

You do this against no opponents first of course (basically just hitting air in some stage).

The back to back Judgment Cuts is a super advance technique though and the elevating one is probably a glitch. Better to first learn the Judgement Cuts per move of Yamato before trying to do Judgment Cuts within Judgment Cuts.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So how do I master judgement cuts?

Each normal has a different hold timing, but it's always on the first few frames of the charge. In other words, release earlier than later. For the judgment cut chains, I think it's just really fast charge timing. For the elevating judgment cuts, you need to alternate judgment cut and trick up, canceling the trick up.

Sesha

I hope that one day we get to fight Alastor and Ifrit as boss fights.

That would be one of the few positives of a Sparda prequel: Possible boss fights against Alastor, Ifrit, Artemis and the weapons from 4.

So how do I master judgement cuts? I end up charging one up in the middle of an animation if I can. Dunno how you do them back to back.

Try to learn the timing of each individual attack. Like Guardian says, each attack has a different window. It's not too difficult IMO because muscle memory starts to kick in and makes it easier to pull off.

Seems like it's more of an online game than something like the Souls games, but not massively like an MMO. Sounds very promising. Let's hope they can deliver.

In my headcanon, demon bosses we don't get Devil Arms or Styles from are experiments by Mundus, and as such don't have souls to give. Leviathan's bio says it was an experiment, and it's the only non-generic demon boss in 3 we don't get anything from. And it's consistent with the RE4 origins of the series where Mundus was Oswell Spencer and bosses like Nightmare and Griffon were G-virus mutations.
As for Gilgamesh, Pandora and Lucifer, they were already defeated by someone. Either the Order or Sparda (or Vergil). The story only says the Order was targeting Devil Arms, which could mean either they defeated the demons themselves or someone had already done it.
The Order was also kidnapping demons. Presumably for Agnus so he could make his own (fuck Cutlasses Agnus! Fuck em!)

Afrocious

Each normal has a different hold timing, but it's always on the first few frames of the charge. In other words, release earlier than later. For the judgment cut chains, I think it's just really fast charge timing. For the elevating judgment cuts, you need to alternate judgment cut and trick up, canceling the trick up.

That would be one of the few positives of a Sparda prequel: Possible boss fights against Alastor, Ifrit, Artemis and the weapons from 4.

Try to learn the timing of each individual attack. Like Guardian says, each attack has a different window. It's not too difficult IMO because muscle memory starts to kick in and makes it easier to pull off.

Got ya. Thanks. Any idea which attack has what kind of window? I'm at work so I can't experiment at the moment, but I def will when I get to my apartment.

Dahbomb

Got ya. Thanks. Any idea which attack has what kind of window? I'm at work so I can't experiment at the moment, but I def will when I get to my apartment.
Basically you just press and hold the button then release after you have charged for like half a second. The charge is usually quicker than you might think.

The exceptions are moves that have a sheathing animation like the Combo II of Yamato (the 3 hit combo). You have to release the charge after he completes the sheathing animation because the sheathing animation is counted in the recovery animation.

You can view this video to get an idea of it.

ShinMaruku

Angus and Credo are the best bosses to do finshers on. Which ones are your faves?

Can anybody show you you can punch the pope out of the savior with buster?

Sesha

Describing frame windows in detail is a bit beyond my existing vocabulary, but I can give you tips. Start with grounded Upper Slash. As you have to release the button then tap it again in order to perform Judgement Cut, it makes it a lot easier to time correctly. Just time the release to when the cutting part of the animation finishes. Another easy one is Yamato Combo II, for which the window is just as he closes the sheath.

Sesha

Seems like a lot of people, not just casuals, but DMC players included, are unaware of a lot of the simple but awesome things you can do in DMC4. We should make a short compilation video showing off some of the awesome things you can do that doesn't involve any complex mechanics or elaborate combos, like Nero Buster-parrying attacks, and now stuff like Vergil's taunt parry.

Sephzilla

Seems like a lot of people, not just casuals, but DMC players included, are unaware of a lot of the simple but awesome things you can do in DMC4. We should make a short compilation video showing off some of the awesome things you can do that doesn't involve any complex mechanics or elaborate combos, like Nero Buster-parrying attacks, and now stuff like Vergil's taunt parry.

something like this would be welcomed and awesome. While the really complex stuff is awesome to watch I think it can also scare off a lot of people too

Dahbomb

Too early to make a video like that when stuff is still being discovered on the new characters (basically Vergil).

Sesha

Too early to make a video like that when stuff is still being discovered on the new characters (basically Vergil).

We could make one for Nero and Dante, then make a second version with the new characters at a later date. We could end the first video with a quick preview of Vergil.

The point of it is mainly to show off aspects of the game that anyone could do with a bit of practice.

I think there are enough Nero/Dante videos out there.

But it's cool if someone would want to do it.

Well, true, but I imagine it could work as a promo tool for the series. So many of the combo videos are overwhelming to Joe NeoGAF and Kate YouTube. Something that compiles some of the accessible awesome aspects of the game could serve to raise interest in DMC, if just for a few people.

I might take a crack at it when I get back from vacation. Just thinking about this gets me excited.

Dahbomb

We could make one for Nero and Dante, then make a second version with the new characters at a later date. We could end the first video with a quick preview of Vergil.
I think there are enough Nero/Dante videos out there.

But it's cool if someone would want to do it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Playing the Asian disc version of DMC4. Any clue who to select the bonus outfits for Trish and Lady? Seems like the alternate outfits work for the other characters, but not for them. The 300,000 orbs code worked fine and the game confirms that there has been DLC downloaded, but even after completing the game with Lady and Trish, it still won't give me access to their extra outfits. Any clue as to what is going on? I am playing on a US PS4.

I have a similar issue with the Japanese version. Those outfits should be available right from the start-- I am prompted to select an outfit for Lady, but not for Trish.

BTW for anyone wondering, the Japanese version also runs in full English.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have a similar issue with the Japanese version. Those outfits should be available right from the start-- I am prompted to select an outfit for Lady, but not for Trish.

BTW for anyone wondering, the Japanese version also runs in full English.

That's odd. Redownloading doesn't help?

The point of it is mainly to show off aspects of the game that anyone could do with a bit of practice.

Well, true, but I imagine it could work as a promo tool for the series. So many of the combo videos are overwhelming to Joe NeoGAF and Kate YouTube. Something that compiles some of the accessible awesome aspects of the game could serve to raise interest in DMC, if just for a few people.

I might take a crack at it when I get back from vacation. Just thinking about this gets me excited.

I think a fun little "Did you know...?" about DMC4SE could be neat. Just little interesting quirks and tricks like counter buster options or mashing for damage during animations... stuff like that. You'd have to figure out off the bat where the line should be drawn, though. Should something like distortion or full steam be added as a concept?

Honestly, I noticed a lot of the bosses in DMC4 were defense oriented. Frog-Angular leaves the battle and requires you to deal with the stand ins; Echidna runs around and then makes herself awkward to hit, Angel Man has a shield, and then, of course, there's the Mid/Final Boss who it a keep away fight with a regenerating shield.

Actually, this trend presents itself in a lot of the enemy design of the game; most standard monsters above the scarecrow level have some sort key defensive measure, sometimes multiple ones, that you have to really work against. It's what I didn't like about the enemies in the game. I'm not against shields, barriers, regeneration, evasion, and gimmicks in general, but DMC4 had way too much of it.
This is pretty true. I'm much happier with enemies punishing you for just attacking them willy-nilly than I am with enemies that shield themselves so it's harder to do so. Getting smacked in the face is the best way to teach you not to do that, but DMC4's heavy reliance on 'shielded' and 'vulnerable' states for so many enemies is a big bummer for sure.

I hope that one day we get to fight Alastor and Ifrit as boss fights.

And I hope we see Mundus as a Devil Arm. It'd be pretty badass to have a new enemy appear wielding Mundus (and a very to-the-point way of solving that whole escalation problem we discussed a while ago).

Son Of D

And I hope we see Mundus as a Devil Arm. It'd be pretty badass to have a new enemy appear wielding Mundus (and a very to-the-point way of solving that whole escalation problem we discussed a while ago).

That would be interesting. It'll also be interesting to see what kind of weapon a Devil Arm Mundus would be.

Sesha

Vergil wielding Yamato, Sparda and Mundus.

Bam, there's your final boss/superboss.

That's odd. Redownloading doesn't help?

I think a fun little "Did you know...?" about DMC4SE could be neat. Just little interesting quirks and tricks like counter buster options or mashing for damage during animations... stuff like that. You'd have to figure out off the bat where the line should be drawn, though. Should something like distortion or full steam be added as a concept?

That sounds like a good idea. DRI would work but Full Steam might be a bit much. I've played 4 a lot but I've only ever done the God Fist once or twice.

I don't think it would be possible for Dante to beat Vergil with Sparda.

You would have to write in a new power level increase for Dante to be able to beat Vergil with Sparda sword.

It could work if he was a non-canon superboss. Essentially a dream match.

But yeah, story-wise there is no way, unless Dante was wielding Mundus or something of equivalent or superior power.

Dahbomb

You would have to write in a new power level increase for Dante to be able to beat Vergil with Sparda sword.

Sephzilla

Dante beat Vergil when Vergil had Force Edge. I don't think Dante beating a Sparda wielding Vergil is completely preposterous especially since Uncle Dante is probably on par with Sparda himself in terms of power. I could buy Dante winning that fight with a little assistance from Nero, Trish, and Lady.

Dahbomb

Dante beat Vergil when Vergil had Force Edge. I don't think Dante beating a Sparda wielding Vergil is completely preposterous especially since Uncle Dante is probably on par with Sparda himself in terms of power. I could buy Dante winning that fight with a little assistance from Nero, Trish, and Lady.
Uncle Dante is not at the power of Sparda at all.

When Dante goes into the Sparda DT in DMC1 he is basically going Super Saiyan mode.

Like DMC1 Dante (who was stronger than DMC3 Dante) couldn't even TOUCH Mundus who just looked at him and just incapacitated him. Dante would've suffered the same fate as Vergil if Dante didn't have Sparda's sword. When he activated the Sparda's sword true power he was able to regain control of his body and able to fight Mundus on a different dimensional plane.

Vergil having access to that power against Dante would be a no contest. Having help from Nero/Trish/Lady wouldn't do shit. It would be like non SSJ Goku trying to take on final form Freeza with Krillin, Gohan and Piccolo... power level difference is way too high.

The only way you can explain it is if Dante was able to attain that Sparda power level on his own by transforming past his own DT form which is the DDT in DMC2's case. Since that hasn't happened yet in DMC4, that is the only way you could actually explain Dante taking on Vergil with Sparda sword.

Top Bottom