• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers are going to program for the Series X first and then port to the Series S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Neu

Banned
So Series S only gets ports?

So disappointed...

The fastest, cheapest and best ports ever.

When DF's analysis of games start to drop and some on the Series S show better perfomance than the PS5...

Oh boy, it's coming.

7bec3d948d54182853a52e6c32b369d1.gif

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know, I'm still worried about the S restricting the design space since you have to take into account that it needs to run on that.

Time will tell.

ExpandKong

Banned
I just want someone to bottom line it for my stupid ass: what are the compromises I'm likely to see playing on a series S versus a series X if I'm only playing on a 1080p TV anyway?

I guess it's gonna come down to a game-by-game comparison, huh.

The price point is attractive but I'd rather save longer and buy the X than double dipping.

I wanna see what happens when some madman devs make 1080p game for xsex @ 30hz with super ultra detailed graphics and then try to make it run on xsex.

Ps. Funny, by his Voice I thought it is some 15 years old pizza face speaking, but it were older bald dude with huge beard

Last edited:
Of course they'll say this, developers won't do it though, they will develop for the least common denominator first and then upscale what they can. It's easier to upscale than downscale.
This is just completely false from everything I've ever heard from devs. Assets especially are almost always created in super high quality and then downscaled because it's easier to do so.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is just completely false from everything I've ever heard from devs. Assets especially are almost always created in super high quality and then downscaled because it's easier to do so.
Yeah. As I said in another thread, all it takes to downscale assets is an algorithm. To upscale typically requires artificial intelligence.

FranXico

I just want someone to bottom line it for my stupid ass: what are the compromises I'm likely to see playing on a series S versus a series X if I'm only playing on a 1080p TV anyway?

I guess it's gonna come down to a game-by-game comparison, huh.

The price point is attractive but I'd rather save longer and buy the X than double dipping.
The only major drawback I can think of is that you'd need to buy a storage expansion sooner. Otherwise, not much.

INC

When DF's analysis of games start to drop and some on the Series S show better perfomance than the PS5...

Oh boy, it's coming.

Oooft, mods gonna be busy if true, its heating up. I'm genuinely interested to see how this performs, a budget 1440p console is a big deal, if i didn't have a pc, id consider it for game pass

Grinchy

Banned
Jason Ronald - Director of Program Management for Xbox:
"Developers will typically optimize their games first for 4K on Series X and then scale down the rendering resolution to 1440p for Xbox Series S, while still supporting the other great next-gen features."

We've already seen Microsoft make claims of scalability in the past that turned out to be as fake as everyone with a brain assumed it would be. But, let's just blindly believe this newest claim from a promotional video with vague statements like "this is what might typically happen!"

AlexxKidd

Oh boy, it's coming.

Will Digital Foundry be analyzing the performance of Spider-Man Miles Morales and Demon's Souls on the PS5 against their performance on Xbox?

When the PS5 drops and fanboys realize people buy video game consoles for games...

Oh boy, it's coming.

Jason Ronald - Director of Program Management for Xbox:
"Developers will typically optimize their games first for 4K on Series X and then scale down the rendering resolution to 1440p for Xbox Series S, while still supporting the other great next-gen features."

We've already seen Microsoft make claims of scalability in the past that turned out to be as fake as everyone with a brain assumed it would be. But, let's just blindly believe this newest claim from a promotional video with vague statements like "this is what might typically happen!"
Exactly. Let’s listen to more PR after all the False things they said few months back about cross gen Not holding back

Last edited:

Dr Bass

It's funny. You can spend way too much time reading and participating in a forum and not know who all the crazy people are for so long.

Then, some people identify themselves by shouting it from the rooftops.

The voice in that video literally stated:
"Developers will typicall optimize for 4k on the series x first and then scale down the rendering resolution to 1440p"

yeah, no shit...that case was never an issue and nobody doubted that. But native 4k with RT and all other effects active is a pipe dream, bei it on 12 or 10 TF.
As we´ve seen on PC already even 1440p will need quite some optimization to work with all the bells and whistles....
So what does that make the XSS.....or does MS intend to force developers to stick to native 4k on the XSX "infinitely".....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom