• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer Speaks About Lockhart "Holding Back Next Gen." And PS5 VS XSX Dev Kits.

joe_zazen

I honestly don't know what to think of this all lol. I mean, if MS wouldn't have announced Series X but instead the 4Tflops Lockhart, and the Series X would come out somewhere in 2024 as a mid-gen upgrade that played the exact same games but in 4k/60fps. Would you have been ok with that?

To me it's a bit depressing if they're saying a $200 4Tflops console can do exactly the same as a 12Tflops console, just at a bit lower resolution and framerate. Surely there have to be more innovative ways developers can push next gen visuals besides just cranking up resolution and framerate?

well, in fairness, since xbox will be targeting potato PCs forever now, xss doent really matter as generations are dead for Microsoft, which means no more big baseline jumps with or without xss.

longdi

Banned
At this point you guys are fully aware of the hardware of lockhart which is just slightly better than ps4 pro and lower than xbox one x

I mean you talk about how much u love it so go get it then

Id wish someone would run a poll on how many people here going to get xbox lockhart as their primary system, my guess is almost zero

You are the one that's not fully aware. Lockhart is better than one X brah

12 Tflop console can run anything 4 tflops console can at any resolution between 1080p - 4k

4 Tflop console can maybe run game @1080p that runs @ 4k on 12tflops machine, but 4tflop machine cant run game @1080p if it uses "all 12 tflops" at lower than 4k res.

It should be simple as that.

series S will 100% restrict series x games, if series x games must be 4k, to be able to run on 4x lower res on 300% slower machine.

Series S is 33% of series x tflops, or series x is 300% of series s tflops.

Hard to counter argument this: if game needs 12 tflops to run at 1080p/60fps, how could 4 tflops machine run it unless it drops to somewhere around 720-900/30? So it means that series x games kind of have to be engineered for high res + framerate, instead of high fidelity + lower res with upscaling, to have the right starting point for downgrades.

series S vs X is kind of like docked switch vs xbox one situation

MrMiyagi

Banned
You’re shitting me? You must be 🤣

But this is how it’s always been and always will be. New implementations and shader updates will allow new tech, but faster grunt will mean either more of these effects or a higher resolution. That’s the way it is, and with this utterly stupid “we all need to push for 4k” bollocks that’s now in play, it’s going to be a hard gen for some. That’s why I’m glad there is serious stock put into CB and improving image quality from a lower resolution image. I’ve stood firm on wanting 1440p to be the max we should aim for, not 4k, not yet. But these GPUs will most be used for pumping out higher resolutions and not much more.

Now if you want a REAL next gen player, you need to look at the CPU. All the consoles have fantastic CPUs now, and you will see some impressive stuff. Next gen doesn’t just have to mean better looking.

I think it has always been that way because developers have been targeting the same base console specs since 2013. Normally a next gen is a complete reset where we finally see AAA games targeting much better hardware that allows for experience simply not possible on current gen. Sony is doing that and managed to impress me with games like Horizon Far West, build from the ground up for the ps5. Unfortunately, all MS's been talking about is cross-gen 1st party games and that's why they're saying 120fps and native 4k will be only the major differences from current gen.

We will see, but I don't think developers like Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog etc. will spend 2/3 of the gpu resources on just 4k and 60fps. I'm guessing they are going to be targeting 30fps and be as efficient as possible by using things like checkerboard rendering. Those games will likely be a lot more visually ambitious compared to what MS is able to do their exclusives, that are shackled to current gen, mid-range gaming pc's and now a 4Tflops Lockhart. Not sure what the 3rd party developers will be doing, but I don't think they can't stay too far behind Sony's 1st party titles by forcing 60fps/4k into all of their games, though. That's why I think we will be seeing a ton of more ambitious 30fps/1440p games later on, that would be a lot harder to scale down on Lockhart.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

So this 4 Tflop Lockhart, if it really exists, is not holding back the Nextgen port of a current gen game? What a huge fucking surprise, it runs on the base XBO FFS.

Surely the point about Lockhart holding things back isn’t about the early life of next-gen i.e. the period that is traditionally cross-gen. The point is once we get into the middle of the generation and people are starting to test the limits that the minimum spec you’re developing for isn't 10/12 Tflops, it’s 4. You can’t tell me that this doesn’t limit the aspirations of developers.

it’s not just going to be scaling back the resolution, it's going to be a ballache 2 or 3 years in, and it’s going to be a big fucking heavy albatross after 6 or 7.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So this 4 Tflop Lockhart, if it really exists, is not holding back the Nextgen port of a current gen game? What a huge fucking surprise, it runs on the base XBO FFS.

Surely the point about Lockhart holding things back isn’t about the early life of next-gen i.e. the period that is traditionally cross-gen. The point is once we get into the middle of the generation and people are starting to test the limits that the minimum spec you’re developing for isn't 10/12 Tflops, it’s 4. You can’t tell me that this doesn’t limit the aspirations of developers.

it’s not just going to be scaling back the resolution, it's going to be a ballache 2 or 3 years in, and it’s going to be a big fucking heavy albatross after 6 or 7.
Lockhart will be able to run games at native 1080p as long as the XSX version doesn't drop below 1800p. It should be fine.

oldergamer

Suddenly TF are important again? Fanboy reasoning never ceases!

I kept telling people that the idea once console is going to holdback another, is a stupid idea when game engines are made scalable. The ONLY difference in this instance, is that games will run in a lower resolution (might require some lower res textures, but that could always be handled at runtime).

NOTE this approach is EASIER to handle then developing for multiple different hardware like devs routinely do on PC. With Series S and Series X having identical feature sets, the argument that series S will hold back ANYTHING on series X is now Invalid. That argument was also invalid before, we found this out, as everything could just be a port of the game on newer hardware.

Later this month, wait for MS to show its first party games with a few of those having graphics that are beyond everything sony has showed so far on PS5.

My bet is that MS will show us what true next gen titles looks like, while later offering a solution that will be cheaper then what Sony has on the table (You still get next gen visuals but at a lower price point). There's a huge part of the market that doesn't care about 4K, or simply can't make use of it. This was me up until october last year when i decided to upgrade to a 4K tv from my 1080p plasma.

BeardGawd

Banned
12 Tflop console can run anything 4 tflops console can at any resolution between 1080p - 4k

4 Tflop console can maybe run game @1080p that runs @ 4k on 12tflops machine, but 4tflop machine cant run game @1080p if it uses "all 12 tflops" at lower than 4k res.

It should be simple as that.

series S will 100% restrict series x games, if series x games must be 4k, to be able to run on 4x lower res on 300% slower machine.

Series S is 33% of series x tflops, or series x is 300% of series s tflops.

Hard to counter argument this: if game needs 12 tflops to run at 1080p/60fps, how could 4 tflops machine run it unless it drops to somewhere around 720-900/30? So it means that series x games kind of have to be engineered for high res + framerate, instead of high fidelity + lower res with upscaling, to have the right starting point for downgrades.

series S vs X is kind of like docked switch vs xbox one situation

Framerates should not take a hit compared to X and S. The docked Switch vs Xbox One comparison doesn't hold up because both the S and X have the same CPU and SSD. Resolution should drop but everything else should be manageable and it should still run at a good framerate.

Metnut

What happens if a third party dev makes a game that rally maxs out Series X and PS5 and that dev can’t make the game run in an acceptable state on Lockhart without tremendous effort?

Would Microsoft let them release the game for series X only? If the answer to that is no, and PS5 is outselling Series X, I wonder if some devs would just release on PS5 only.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
What happens if a third party dev makes a game that rally maxs out Series X and PS5 and that dev can’t make the game run in an acceptable state on Lockhart without tremendous effort?

Would Microsoft let them release the game for series X only? If the answer to that is no, and PS5 is outselling Series X, I wonder if some devs would just release on PS5 only.

Whatever game they make on X will scale to 1/4 or 1/3 the resolution on the S. No developer is going to make less than a 1440p game on these systems which would get you 720p or higher on the S.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is this why TLOU II looks so terrible? Because the GPU in the standard version held back the Pro version?

/s

Double the power of PS4
PS4 Pro packs in twice the GPU power of the standard PS4 – letting you experience incredible image clarity, smoother gameplay and shorter load times in PS4 Pro enhanced games**.

DonF

Looks about right. One is the top of the line, 4k machine, the other is the 1080p box. Somewhere down the line we might even get perf differences, like one running or having the option for 60 fps when the one with lower specs is locked to just 30fps.
It's is going to be extra work for the devs, but not that much.

Dodkrake

Banned
the fuck is that supposed to mean? do you know how the AI in TLOU2 works? looking at it, it's nothing special... and how exactly would the difficulty change that?
the same pre set reactions trigger more easily... wow... what a difference.

TLOU2's AI is not computationally intensive. proof of that would be the weak ass hardware inside the PS4. if you think the AI is that impressive, imagine what a modern system with an actually good CPU can do, a CPU that is at least 9x as powerful, if not even significantly more than that.
the CPU is the limiting factor when it comes to AI 99% of the time.

In survival, the AI is not scripted. There's no pre determined paths. And I didn't say the ai won't be better in new gen games, I just said your argument is bollocks

So much "concern" from people who have no interest interest in Xbox like always.

OT: while this would be good news, im not buying it that easy. What happened to the nda?

But people that are praising it have no interest also... I bet 95% of the people here cheering for Lockhart will not buy it (at least for there main console). They do it because they support Xbox and they hope this will help MS give a bit more of fight to PlayStation next gen...

No hardcore gamer will buy this... even if they play right now on a 1080p tv.. they for sure expect to upgrade in the next years to 4K TVs as they are getting so affordable now.. so they will not cut their own legs buying Lockhart and get burned in a few years..

They think that Lockhart will be bought by moms and casuals that don’t give a fuck for specs and if they see next gen writen in a box at a cheaper price they buy it..

But casuals and moms are not the ones that will be aligning in the first year or two to buy this new consoles.. so I predict Lockhart will not sell well at all.. because it will be cheaper but not that cheaper.. the value is not there for the mindful gamer..

The few ones that buy it will be burn in 2,3 years.. when support start to fade and they get really poorly optimized versions of games..

Will see..

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Whatever game they make on X will scale to 1/4 or 1/3 the resolution on the S. No developer is going to make less than a 1440p game on these systems which would get you 720p or higher on the S.
AI Upscaling should be the path they take. Don't know how well MS's ML Upscaling works in comparison to DLSS. On Control you can have 4K DLSS(1080p Base) for around 10-15% performance impact over native 1080p/4xMSAA. Lockhart can use 1080p DLSS/AI Upscale(540p or 720p Base) and have tons of performance to spare.
1080p 4xMSAA, 1080p DLSS(720p), DLSS(540p):

1080p 4xMSAA(50fps):
1080-Native4x-MSAA.jpg

1080p DLSS 720p base(80fps):
1080-DLSS-720base.jpg

1080p DLSS 540p base(90fps):
1080pdlss-540base.jpg

I've formerly done some 4TF benchmarks with Highest Settings on 2060 Super locked to set frequency using a custom curve and limit setting in Afterburner. Even with sub-4K resolution on 2080, it scales just fine when AI upscaling is in play. I'll do some more with the 4TF settings later tonight.

Last edited:

jakinov

But people that are praising it have no interest also... I bet 95% of the people here cheering for Lockhart will not buy it (at least for there main console). They do it because they support Xbox and they hope this will help MS give a bit more of fight to PlayStation next gen...

No hardcore gamer will buy this... even if they play right now on a 1080p tv.. they for sure expect to upgrade in the next years to 4K TVs as they are getting so affordable now.. so they will not cut their own legs buying Lockhart and get burned in a few years..

They think that Lockhart will be bought by moms and casuals that don’t give a fuck for specs and if they see next gen writen in a box at a cheaper price they buy it..

But casuals and moms are not the ones that will be aligning in the first year or two to buy this new consoles.. so I predict Lockhart will not sell well at all.. because it will be cheaper but not that cheaper.. the value is not there for the mindful gamer..

The few ones that buy it will be burn in 2,3 years.. when support start to fade and they get really poorly optimized versions of games..

Will see..
Well good thing the hardcore gamer is not most gamers which is why there's less than 1 PS4 pro sold for every PS5 sold since it's introduction. Because of the diminishing return of going 4K, people are arguably going to be less inclined to upgrade to 4K just because it's cheaper. And good thing the hardcore have the option of getting an XSX and PS5.

You also making an assumption on buying habits that hardcore gamers are main people buying consoles at launch. I don't believe there's an evidence of that. Kids are always asking for things and parents always looking for things to get their kids. Marketing is extremely heavy whether its forced ads or forced integration. You can't assume the hardcore or are all going to be saved up or willing at launch I would also argue that a subset of hardcore gamers are also going to hold back because they know they can wait when there's more games available. Whereas, a casual can be driven to buy a new console just so they can play NBA 2k21, new COD or Fifa with better graphics; or really simply because it's a new console.

oldergamer

Will see..
This is a really ignorant post. Who are you to tell what others are thinking? Myself i would clearly get xsx, but for my daughter or brother or even a second tv in the same house (not everyone owns multiple 4k tv's) it makes good sense to offer a cheaper alternative.

Anyone that is space constrained and cant have a tv over 40inches wont get the benefit from a 4ktv imo

Last edited:
Well good thing the hardcore gamer is not most gamers which is why there's less than 1 PS4 pro sold for every PS5 sold since it's introduction. Because of the diminishing return of going 4K, people are arguably going to be less inclined to upgrade to 4K just because it's cheaper. And good thing the hardcore have the option of getting an XSX and PS5.

You also making an assumption on buying habits that hardcore gamers are main people buying consoles at launch. I don't believe there's an evidence of that. Kids are always asking for things and parents always looking for things to get their kids. Marketing is extremely heavy whether its forced ads or forced integration. You can't assume the hardcore or are all going to be saved up or willing at launch I would also argue that a subset of hardcore gamers are also going to hold back because they know they can wait when there's more games available. Whereas, a casual can be driven to buy a new console just so they can play NBA 2k21, new COD or Fifa with better graphics; or really simply because it's a new console.

PS4 Pro is not comparable because is a midgen refresh.. lots of gamers had already bought the base PS4 and will not double dip either for economical reasons or because they are happy with what they have..

This is a new generation that will last for another 6,7 years and most gamers that will buy a new console in the first, second year are well aware of that.. so they want good value but legs also to take them true all the gen..

Again I think most people that will buy this consoles in the first years will be aware of what they are buying and they will not be fooled easily..

Of course this is all speculation and maybe I’m the fool.. let’s see how this will play out..

This is a really ignorant post. Who are you to tell what others are thinking? Myself i would clearly get xsx, but for my daughter or brother or even a second tv in the same house (not everyone owns multiple 4k tv's) it makes good sense to offer a cheaper alternative.

Anyone that is space constrained and cant have a tv over 40inches wont get the benefit from a 4ktv imo

Good for you that can have multiple consoles and multiple TVs.. most of people don’t, so like you, they will buy the x first as that will be their only console and they want the best value.. (as I said in my post)

Thanks for prove my point..

Schmick

damage control....damage control..damage control...so much damage control....

lockhart is potato macine that even weaker than xbox one x

If you love lockhart so much then why dont u embrace yourself gaming with a 4,6 tf machine ( which is just slightly ahead of ps4pro) since u love it so much😆
I think the Lockhart will fit in nicely with my setup.

Gaming PC for my main gaming device accompanied by a PS5 for Sony exclusives. Both located in my games room and each connected to my 1440p 144mhz monitor.

A Lockhart will be used in my living room as a media centre and gaming device. It seems perfect to me and yes i'm embracing it. Very much so!

jakinov

PS4 Pro is not comparable because is a midgen refresh.. lots of gamers had already bought the base PS4 and will not double dip either for economical reasons or because they are happy with what they have..

This is a new generation that will last for another 6,7 years and most gamers that will buy a new console in the first, second year are well aware of that.. so they want good value but legs also to take them true all the gen..

Again I think most people that will buy this consoles in the first years will be aware of what they are buying and they will not be fooled easily..

Of course this is all speculation and maybe I’m the fool.. let’s see how this will play out..
I'm not comparing life time sales. I'm talking about since the introduction of the PS4 pro to prove that most people buying consoles aren't going to buy the more powerful one even if it's available. The stat is for every PS4 sold since the PS4 Pro launched. It shows that historically people bought more of the console that was cheaper than the one that was more expensive and powerful while both were available.

I don't think it's about being fooled more than it is about instant gratifications and affordability. For people $500 is just way too much and they may even rationalize $300 now then $300 later for the upgrade or won't even bother with the upgrade. They just want new games or some level of improvement.

oldergamer

Good for you that can have multiple consoles and multiple TVs.. most of people don’t, so like you, they will buy the x first as that will be their only console and they want the best value.. (as I said in my post)

Thanks for prove my point..
Nice try to spin your BS post. You completely missed my point! Like i said, I being a hardcore console gamer will opt for the best or most expensive thing, but don't dismiss the reasoning others have for wanting something less expensive or that better suits their needs. I don't see how that proves your point at all. When price isn't the barrier to experiencing new gen games, the consumer wins (Only fanboys lose)

Last edited:

MrMiyagi

Banned
AI Upscaling should be the path they take. Don't know how well MS's ML Upscaling works in comparison to DLSS. On Control you can have 4K DLSS(1080p Base) for around 10-15% performance impact over native 1080p/4xMSAA. Lockhart can use 1080p DLSS/AI Upscale(540p or 720p Base) and have tons of performance to spare.
1080p 4xMSAA, 1080p DLSS(720p), DLSS(540p):

1080p 4xMSAA(50fps):
1080-Native4x-MSAA.jpg

1080p DLSS 720p base(80fps):
1080-DLSS-720base.jpg

1080p DLSS 540p base(90fps):
1080pdlss-540base.jpg

I've formerly done some 4TF benchmarks with Highest Settings on 2060 Super locked to set frequency using a custom curve and limit setting in Afterburner. Even with sub-4K resolution on 2080, it scales just fine when AI upscaling is in play. I'll do some more with the 4TF settings later tonight.

If things like DLLS work so great, then why wouldn't developers be using it for Series X and ps5 too? Its like Lockhart can only hang in there if developers would be seriously inefficient on the other 2 consoles.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If things like DLLS work so great, then why wouldn't developers be using it for Series X and ps5 too? Its like Lockhart can only hang in there if developers would be seriously inefficient on the other 2 consoles.
DLSS 2.0 works great for a fact. MS's ML Upscaling, along with RT performance, is currently an unknown. The post I made is directly addressing what you're talking about, "What if devs use sub-4K resolution on XSX?" Answer: At least with DLSS, you can go as low as 1080p DLSS(540p Base Res) to accommodate. 1080p is 1/4 res of 2160p. 540p is 1/4 res of 1080p. Unlikely devs will go below 1440p on next-gen consoles. Even the Path Traced 1080p Minecraft is unlikely to see the light of day as more than a tech demo, but if it did, there's still options.

Yams

If upscaling is available for Lockhart, it will be available for the Series X and PS5.

DLSS (and future equivalents) allow developers to hit their resolution targets without taxing the GPU as much. The power that would have gone to resolution will go elsewhere. It will benefit all consoles. The Series S will hit 1080p, and the X will hit 4K. They may just not do it natively. It'll be up to the developer.

To me it's a bit depressing if they're saying a $200 4Tflops console can do exactly the same as a 12Tflops console, just at a bit lower resolution and framerate. Surely there have to be more innovative ways developers can push next gen visuals besides just cranking up resolution and framerate?

Why comment on things you don’t understand? It has been explained many times here in layman’s terms how game engines scale. People are either being willfully obtuse or are just plain slow on the uptake. But yes, I’m sure a bunch of tech illiterate forum posters have the secret knowledge needed for Microsoft to be “next gen”.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I think the Lockhart will fit in nicely with my setup.

Gaming PC for my main gaming device accompanied by a PS5 for Sony exclusives. Both located in my games room and each connected to my 1440p 144mhz monitor.

A Lockhart will be used in my living room as a media centre and gaming device. It seems perfect to me and yes i'm embracing it. Very much so!
Sony has never supported 1440p output unlike MS, why would you game on PS5 on that monitor?

semicool

Banned
PS5 doesn't have dedicated ML, XSX does. Based on Sony has said nothing in regard to ML and on the other hand, MS is marketing it for the XSX.

Last edited:

Pallas

Xbox Lockhart is good if you wana get stuck with lastgen hardware weaker than xbox one x while your friends are playing the actual nextgen system
damage control....damage control..damage control...so much damage control....

lockhart is potato macine that even weaker than xbox one x

If you love lockhart so much then why dont u embrace yourself gaming with a 4,6 tf machine ( which is just slightly ahead of ps4pro) since u love it so much😆
At this point you guys are fully aware of the hardware of lockhart which is just slightly better than ps4 pro and lower than xbox one x

I mean you talk about how much u love it so go get it then

Id wish someone would run a poll on how many people here going to get xbox lockhart as their primary system, my guess is almost zero

Except it’s not weaker than the one x? RDNA 2 < GCN, plus the CPU, SSD and such but you know that already, so you’re practically shit posting.

I'm not comparing life time sales. I'm talking about since the introduction of the PS4 pro to prove that most people buying consoles aren't going to buy the more powerful one even if it's available. The stat is for every PS4 sold since the PS4 Pro launched. It shows that historically people bought more of the console that was cheaper than the one that was more expensive and powerful while both were available.

I don't think it's about being fooled more than it is about instant gratifications and affordability. For people $500 is just way too much and they may even rationalize $300 now then $300 later for the upgrade or won't even bother with the upgrade. They just want new games or some level of improvement.

I think is not a matter of power or price is more about balance and perceived value.. and in this case the Lockhart will be the wild card as it will be significantly underpowered compared with the two main consoles, sex and ps5.. and although it will be cheaper I think it will not offset the fact that for the buyer it will be perceived as to getting a worst deal against sex and ps5..

We will see how this turn out... as I said I think the main buyer of next gen consoles for the first two years will be informed gamers that know what they are buying and want most value... so for me it will be a battle between sex and ps5.. as I assure you none of them will be more than 500 and possible they can even came lower.. specially ps5 digital.. in this scenario if Lockhart comes at more than 300 it will be dead on arrival..

Nice try to spin your BS post. You completely missed my point! Like i said, I being a hardcore console gamer will opt for the best or most expensive thing, but don't dismiss the reasoning others have for wanting something less expensive or that better suits their needs. I don't see how that proves your point at all. When price isn't the barrier to experiencing new gen games, the consumer wins (Only fanboys lose)

How much less expensive? Do you think Lockhart will sell more than sex? I think is you that are being dismissive of others to be able to have the best hardware for a reasonable price... most gamers will not afford multiple consoles but for sure they will be able to figure it out by themselves were the most value is for the console that they will have for the next 7 years.

“When price isn’t the barrier to experiencing new gen games, the consumer wins” Lol... this looks a straight quote from Greenberg...

Last edited:
Top Bottom