• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer achieves toon shading and real-time dynamic shadows on real N64 hardware

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
How hot does the console get and how stable could the realistically be?

Still cool.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm sure if you're writing assembly code to get this going on a slice, yeah that's great.
Can't do that shit top to bottom for a shipping consumer title within budget and timeframe constraints.

Also not trying to talk shit on this person. Clearly talented so I hope they have a full time job.

Sorry didn't watch video

Last edited:
very interesting demo
How hot does the console get and how stable could the realistically be?

Still cool.

difficult to know it probably depends the complexity of the game and how low the framerate can be acceptable or if the tech is fully implemented for example a bomberman like game or a fighting game seem as perfect candidates, but I dont see it necesarily as a problem except for nintendo politics regarding commercial games messing with the rendering code, there are comercial games with very impressive shadows and light on psone(chiken run and most popular 3d fighters) so I dont think its a problem for N64 specially if there are some changes to make them lighter like using simpler 3d models for making the shadows and things like, in the demo textures are not filtered so maybe that is necesary to improve performance or its only because it looks better, unless there is a very specific problem unique to n64 doesnt look too problematic, I think Fafalada can tell us how demanding are those effects to be implemented

Last edited:
Top Bottom