• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction Allstars | Review Thread

Aenima

Wait what?
Single player challenges are locked behind premium currency that can only be bought with real money. Thers 1 set of challeges for free the other 2 sets are paywalled.

The devs told ppl will be able to earn premium currency in a future update, but considering this game was planed to be full priced, its crazy they placed content behid a paywall. Unless it something they did the moment they decided to launch it on PS+. We will see how the game will be when its being sold. Even with the challenges for free the game is not worth more than 20$.

Also some skin colors, banners and avatars can only be purchased with premium currency. This game has F2P all over it.

Dane

Single player challenges are locked behind premium currency that can only be bought with real money. Thers 1 set of challeges for free the other 2 sets are paywalled.

The devs told ppl will be able to earn premium currency in a future update, but considering this game was planed to be full priced, its crazy they placed content behid a paywall. Unless it something they did the moment they decided to launch it on PS+. We will see how the game will be when its being sold. Even with the challenges for free the game is not worth more than 20$.

Also some skin colors, banners and avatars can only be purchased with premium currency. This game has F2P all over it.

Jesus fucking christ, this is even worse than Bleeding Edge.

Editaur

I'm enjoying it so far and the controls have a nice snap to it.

I don't buy any microtransaction shite, but they ever release some Twisted Metal themed levels and characters I will pay for that.

xacto

Not sure about the longevity of this one. Could be fun for a couple of matches with friends, but that's about it it.

My personal opinion, of course.

kyliethicc

They need to make a Mario Kart style arcade racing game with this game. Like Wipeout or Motorstorm.

The combat mode seems fun for some, but this game could go from 70 to 80+ with a legit fun casual race mode. Some fun tracks with jumps, boosts, items, loops, fast pace with lots of drifting and crashes etc.

Imagine Mario Kart but with some of this game's mechanics, like jumping onto another car and taking it over. The cars and graphical style of this game is a solid middle ground between realism (GT) and full cartoon (Mario Kart.)

Great Hair

Banned
For a F2P game, it has lots of varied gameplay init. But i still have no idea, what this game is all about. Collecting gems? Wall-jumps? Destruction Derby? Fire pits? Why not simply remake DD1? How hard can it be.

Not even MS would have considered charging 79$ for this.
Maybe, but they did try to charge $120 for XBL and other shenanigans in the past 7 years.

I can only give the devs the benefit of the doubt that when plans changed and it was being put on Plus that they quickly moved to paywall certain content. Either way, not an ideal scenario with a game so thin on available content already

hemo memo

Gold Member
I can only give the devs the benefit of the doubt that when plans changed and it was being put on Plus that they quickly moved to paywall certain content. Either way, not an ideal scenario with a game so thin on available content already
You buy premium currency in chunks of 500 and the first two Challenge Series’ cost 600 combined. No I’m not giving them the benefit of the doubt. That is a scummy practice.

Last edited:

Aion002

Damnnn this is bad.

Locking gameplay behind a paywall on f2p games is disgusting... And only the most scummy f2p games does that... WTF Sony was thinking allowing this garbage.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Played it last night for about 2 hours. No music is very weird and feels unfinished. All of the characters suck. Character abilities aren't used frequent enough and you spend most of the time ramming each other with the normal cars and nothing more. Also that Scrapyard mode is awful, while the other 8v8 is ok. It also feels that the maps are too big for the amount of players. Would play a lot better if each character had passives that were active all the time.

I could see it being more fun with friends, but there's basically nothing to play towards and no incentives to keep playing. There are some "skins" for the characters, but they are all extremely lazy color swaps.

Last edited:
I don't know If i've been missing car combat, but I am liking the game. I've had nothing but fun, so far. Doth mine eyes deceive me? But does this game look as good to you guys as it does to me? Every "next-gen" game I've played so far has looked "cherry" I guess we in the next-generation now boys!

When does Kena come out? Both of the new consoles have had basically zero next gen games I’m into. Medium sucked as does this.

Reallink

This game is a legit turd IMO. The core gameplay (that being the combat and crashing) isn't at all satisfying. The physics of collisions are terrible, the cars just randomly bounce off each other like beach balls. The modes are all the same thing and shallow as fuck, just a bunch of knuckleheads driving around arenas like toddlers with hot wheels. The graphics and art design are strong outside of the pandering characters, they should have just made a traditional arcade racer or even a kart racer in the same style.

Last edited:

Self

This game is a legit turd IMO. The core gameplay (that being the combat and crashing) isn't at all satisfying. The physics of collisions are terrible, the cars just randomly bounce off each other like beach balls. The modes are all the same thing and shallow as fuck, just a bunch of knuckleheads driving around arenas like toddlers with hot wheels. The graphics and art design are strong outside of the pandering characters, they should have just made a traditional arcade racer or even a kart racer in the same style.

I must agree. Technically it's really cool and all, but it lacks weight an punch. Don't know, something is missing here.

This game feels like the PS5's 'The Medium'... Dissapointing.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I must agree. Technically it's really cool and all, but it lacks weight an punch. Don't know, something is missing here.

This game feels like the PS5's 'The Medium'... Dissapointing.
The Medium has 87% positive evaluations on Steam (so from full price paying customers), I don’t think this game will match that from people who will pay €79 for it...

Bo_Hazem

Banned

At its current state, F2P is the only way to go. Add it to PS Plus Collection for example.

To me it's a 7/10 as a F2P game, and 4/10 as $69 game.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I kinda hated it first but it grew on me. Its still a shallow game tho and i'd never pay 80 euro for this. This can be a decent game in a year if they keep adding content and features.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Played briefly, characters and animations are well done, gameplay is lacking unfortunately. I think the character abilities need more impact or need to be more over the top to match the character designs and to set them apart

Zephir

Made a small video review about it, but it's ugly and it's all in Italian so no point in sharing it.

In any case, i agree with the "6" crowd, game is good but pretty limited... Either it get some strong updates in the coming weeks, or we are looking at another bleeding edge...

GhostOfTsu

Banned

So what? This is the F2P version, free on PS+ for everyone. Sounds like you and other people are really trying to manufacture some outrage about this paywall shit. The game is free right now. Too soon for the OMG THEY ARE SO GREEDY!1!

I think they need to overhaul the game a bit to make it more fun. Maybe rip off Mario Kart power ups or some other games. It sounds like it really needs a shot in the arm.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So what? This is the F2P version, free on PS+ for everyone. Sounds like you and other people are really trying to manufacture some outrage about this paywall shit. The game is free right now. Too soon for the OMG THEY ARE SO GREEDY!1!
No it is not “Free”. People PAY for PS+.

ne1butu

I’m enjoying it in one hour blasts on mayhem. Seems decent enough carnage on there. But the hame is really missing some simple stuff.

No in game music, can’t play the FFA mode with party, when in a game with party they are not highlighted a different colour as the rest of your teammates and the names above the cars are so small you can’t really tell who they are.

I think they need to up the 8V8 mode to 10V10 as you can spend a little time wondering where the action is, or if a few of the other team are running around instead of driving it can seem a little empty

Inviusx

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the fact that a PS5 exclusive is running this poorly despite the lack of anything particular impressive happening graphically.

It doesn't even touch native 4k either.

As a PS5 owner I think I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that the PS5 isn't as powerful as we want it to be.

Top Bottom