• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction Allstars | Review Thread

.Pennywise

Banned
destruction-allstars-cover.cover_300x.jpg

Destruction AllStars (2021)
  • System: PlayStation 5
  • Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Developer: Lucid Games

X3SVdtg.png

GameCrate 90
Destruction AllStars may not be a killer app that sells you on a PS5, but anyone who owns a PS5 will be happy to add it to their library. It is definitely one of the best perks of owning a PS5 yet.

Shacknews 80
As far as gameshow/sporting event-style games go, Destruction AllStars is maybe some of the most fun I’ve had in a while. I love the pageantry when a match starts and my character does their intro before kicking things off. The visuals are smooth and pristine throughout the fast-paced action and the gameplay in different modes is absolutely delightful. I would like the foot game to be boosted a bit, and it desperately needs some better cosmetics and an easy-access Mute All function, but there’s an absolutely enthralling foundation here in Destruction AllStars. I want to see more characters, more arenas, events… I want to see where Destruction AllStars goes in the long run and I’ll be happy to keep playing as we work our way there.

Game Informer 80
I had a good time behind the wheel in Destruction AllStars, even if I don’t know that it has enough to keep me around forever. That’s not to say there isn’t anything to do; there is a decent-enough selection of modes and activities between online and offline, with more on the way. And I appreciate the instantly satisfying action that’s as easy to drop in and out of as the cars themselves. Even if the novelty of vehicular mayhem isn’t enough to sustain my interest for many more long-haul sessions, I’m looking forward to taking it for a quick spin every now and again.

Daily Star 80
It’s addictive, great fun and all about people playing online together. And it feels original, even if many of the individual elements are borrowed from other games. If you have a PS Plus subscription it’s a no brainer to download this free title at some point over the next two months before it becomes paid for. Destruction AllStars is a brilliant new addition to the PS5 roster and will brighten up dull February with some colourful car-smashing fun.

GamePro Germany 78
I like Destruction AllStars. I really like it a lot. The anarchy of the gameplay reminds me of my endless PS1 evenings with Destruction Derby or Demolition Racer. Something happens all the time, there is always a crash somewhere - I never get bored.

Hobby Consolas 75
This new PS5 exclusive offers some amusing ideas while taking advantage of the superior hardware, but it's too shallow in content and uses some greedy strategies. Future updates could change the situation, though.

DualShockers 75
If Destruction AllStars was entirely focused on the driving and crashing aspects, this review would be a hands-down recommendation. I just wish it didn’t come to a complete stop as often as it does when you lose control of the car. It does interesting things with the DualSense’s adaptive triggers and has a satisfying loop but comes to a screeching halt in other areas. Lucid Games has promised at least a year of new content for the game following its release, so hopefully, things will be fixed over time. Waiting for a fix, however, isn’t how I like to enjoy games. Luckily, Destruction AllStars is one of the free PS+ games for February, so with an online subscription and a PS5, I would recommend downloading it to give it a spin.

Critical Hit 75
Destruction AllStars is both new and familiar, but it’s a refreshing collection of cars, modes, and madcap driving that shows great promise for the future. A mental destruction derby with some admittedly annoying quirks, there’s plenty of charm under the hood of this game that respects your time and smashes into the competition with a gung-ho attitude and some novel ideas.

4Players.de 72
What is there, entertains only briefly - and the banishment of the other episodes behind a payment barrier is crap. The scope could also be more generous in general: If you deduct Stockpile, which is currently too haphazardly for me, only three modes remain in very similar arenas; The character skills and special attacks of the hero cars are too interchangeable for me. Ultimately, however, I'm curious to see where the journey with Destruction AllStars is going - both in terms of new content and the question of whether it might become a full-price title at the beginning of April.

Millenium 70
Destruction AllStars has many strong points to offer. Mainstream and approachable, the directing is quite good and the gameplay quick to learn — although it takes time to be truly mastered. We had a lot of fun throwing out violent bumper blows and jumping on platforms to change vehicles, as well as unleashing the powers of the many heroes available. However, it's hard to predict whether it will be successful in the long run, and the PS5's exclusivity and high purchase price may prevent it from reaching a large audience.

Jeuxvideo.com 65
Everything could have gained more dynamism and appealed to the players a little more by offering various tricks such as slow motion or "killcam", but unfortunately, Lucid Games preferred to keep this type of functionality for the game's Solo mode. A Solo mode which also could have been successful, finally if it was not restricted by a system which requires the player to take out his credit card.

IGN 60
Destruction AllStars can provide fun bursts of frantic car combat action, but never adds up to much more than that.

TheSixthAxis 60
The car combat genre has long been out of fashion and still has a way to go if it wants to take us back to its glory days of the 1990s. Destruction AllStars is a mostly satisfying modernisation that has some neat ideas and looks fantastic, though ultimately spins its tyres on repetitive rival-wrecking gameplay and a lack of truly worthwhile content at launch.

Push Square 60
Destruction AllStars can be a brilliantly frantic multiplayer game, with fun characters and cars, great DualSense feedback, and entertaining modes. However, it can ring a little hollow at times when the action dips. Lacklustre customisation options and mictrotransaction-locked content doesn't help matters, but when everything is playing out smoothly, this is more than capable of giving you a good time. Currently free to PS Plus members, it's well worth taking for a spin.

PlayStation Universe 50
Destruction AllStars is a clunky mess of a multiplayer experience, committing a few cardinal sins when it comes to its online experience and offering uninteresting and dull gameplay most of the time. Each character feels unique and their abilities and vehicles are fun to use, but when meshed with the rest of the experience, it doesn't work. Predatory microtransactions, a lack of lore and backstory into the AllStars, and poor single-player offerings make this the weakest PlayStation Studios title in a long time.

TheGamer 40
I wanted to love Destruction AllStars. I still do. There’s just not enough there to make it worth my while right now. A couple of times, I ran into a weird technical issue where I would jump into a brand-new car, but it just wouldn’t move. I think that issues like this can certainly be fixed in a future patch, though. I also know that the development team of Lucid Games has a year’s-worth of content planned for the game. As such, although I can’t recommend playing Destruction AllStars right now, I do have high hopes for the future of the game. Especially since the car combat genre is ripe for the taking with no new Twisted Metal in sight.

VGC 40
Out of the 4 modes available at launch, 2 of them feel redundant and unbalanced. The single-player content is slim and if you want even a crumb more, you’ll have to pay, which leaves Destruction Allstars feeling like a clumsy, hollow product whose fun moments go by in a blur.

bitbydeath

For a ‘free’ PS+ game it’s honestly great, just mindless fun to kill time on. But if you’re buying it then I sort of understand the lower end of the reviews.
Agreed. It should have been made FTP from the beginning, given what’s included. It can be fun though, but that’s not enough.

For a ‘free’ PS+ game it’s honestly great, just mindless fun to kill time on. But if you’re buying it then I sort of understand the lower end of the reviews.
A review score shouldn't take into account the cost.

I disagree when Xbox fans say their 6 out of 10 games should be rated higher since they are included with GamePass. And I disagree Destruction All-Stars should get rated higher because it's free with PS+.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Didn't really care for my first session with the title, but will try the rest of the game modes before I write it off. It has potential, but I feel like the should be more joy in smashing the cars about than there currently is. Also I didn't really get the whole hijack mechanic figured out.

Nvzman

I disagree when Xbox fans say their 6 out of 10 games should be rated higher since they are included with GamePass. And I disagree Destruction All-Stars should get rated higher because it's free with PS+.
I mean with content in mind cost should 100% matter because charging $60-$70 for a game sets a certain mindset. You want your money's worth.
Also, the whole point of GamePass is for the games, PS+ is primarily for online gaming with the monthly games as a side bonus. That's not a very apt comparison. I'm still getting my money's worth with PS+ because I can actually play online with my friends, if GamePass (besides Ultimate) games suck then whats even the point in paying for it?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Guess we know the real reason why it was free now. Tried it last night, its ok but its kind of an xbox live arcade sort of thing to me.

skit_data

Thank god they put this on PS+, i wouldve been really pissed if I bought this at full price. I expected better from Playstation Studios.

Destruction AllStars is only free on PS Plus for 1 month.
Sony finally got their own Bleeding Edge.

Bleeding wasn't even full Retail price. Meanwhile, Destruction AllStars is priced at full retail €80 here, with hardly any content.

hroerekr

oof

Now we know why they didn't send review copies.
This looks shallow. I hope they keep it as a freebie after this month so new PS5 owners can also join. Maybe there is a future for this game.

Aenima

6's and 7's seems about right for this game right now. Game is fun to play for a few quick matches from time to time, but lacks content. Thers no sense of progression. You keep raising ur exp, but its just a number, you earn coins to unlock diferent colors for the same outfits, some banners and avatars for ur player profile and thats it.

Single player mode has arcade against AI bots, and then has challenges that i liked to do, but only the 1st set of challenges are free, the rest is locked behind premium currency that you cant earn ingame yet.

Depending on the support this game gets and the quality of the updates, it might become something better, but for now is just a fun game to play a couple matches when ur bored and move to other game.

It should remain F2P or at maximum a 20$ game. If they go for 70$ price tag, the game is already dead.

Last edited:

Aenima

Destruction AllStars is only free on PS Plus for 1 month.

Bleeding wasn't even full Retail price. Meanwhile, Destruction AllStars is priced at full retail €80 here, with hardly any content.
Just some corrections. The game is free on PS+ for 2 months, and the game is not for sale on PSN store or at retail yet. The price tags might change, since amazon dont list any price and has the game tagged as "Unavailable".

Last edited:
Surprised it’s that high. Also surprised that there’s less backlash about them locking the single player behind a paywall. Seems if other pubs had pulled this, there’d be a lot bigger fuss. Idk if it’s because it’s Sony or if it’s because of what this game is.

ethomaz

Banned
What do you mean "no buy"? It's on PS+ for free you lunatic. Only a fool would pay for this.
So no try :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I forgot to check the Plus... it refreshed yesterday, no?

PS. I'm still without my TV since Jan 22nd :(

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Gamerguy84

Very action packed, fast, fun, game that looks and plays well.

Characters are weird but that's the case in many games.

Can't wait to see updates and will buy if it catches on.

bitbydeath

Surprised it’s that high. Also surprised that there’s less backlash about them locking the single player behind a paywall. Seems if other pubs had pulled this, there’d be a lot bigger fuss. Idk if it’s because it’s Sony or if it’s because of what this game is.
It does and it doesn’t. There’s a mode that’s free and other modes it asks money for. It looks like they’ll be switching modes in and out so there will likely always be a free mode + paid modes.

It’s not story based or anything, just unlockables placed under challenges.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It’s really fun to play and it looks amazing in HDR on my LG CX. The game is better then some people might think.

hemo memo

Gold Member
it’s frustrating that new twists on modes and backstory for characters (scant as it is) will be locked behind a paywall as new Series are released. Especially when this currency is buyable in chunks of 500 and the first two Challenge Series’ cost 600 combined.

Lucid knows what it’s doing here
, and it’s not great, even if the game is effectively free if you own PS Plus.
Yeah fuck this predatory MTX. I’m deleting this now. I have no respect to a dev who does this crap and i’m not giving them my time.

Chukhopops

Just some corrections. The game is free on PS+ for 2 months, and the game is not for sale on PSN store or at retail yet. The price tags might change, since amazon dont list any price and has the game tagged as "Unavailable".
Not everywhere it seems:

bBO9xNT.jpg

Although to be fair, it seems it's not the final release cover.

It was kinda expected after they shoved it onto PS+. Sony themselves lost confidence in this.

Being on PS+ may save it, though... but only if it turns into F2P in May and devs manage to pull a No Man‘s Sky.

Dane

Wait what?

Top Bottom