• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

Trace

Banned
So I decided to try a controller last night for the hell of it. My lord is the aim assist insane. I don't get the snap and quickness of my mouse. But I was getting headshots for free holy shit.....that's a little nuts, people strafing didn't do shit. Kind of takes the skill out of the game.....like a back and forth fight just ends up being who has a controller that basically stays locked on the whole time.

I've been saying the controller aim assist is horseshit since yesterday. Any kind of automatic weapon is SO MUCH EASIER to track people with, it basically stays locked on their head unless they're really good at strafing.

Really aught to be removed for launch, it's so prone to abuse considering how much easier it is than keyboard.

Especially when stuff like this is going to 100% be in the game if it stays.

dmix90

I've been saying the controller aim assist is horseshit since yesterday. Any kind of automatic weapon is SO MUCH EASIER to track people with, it basically stays locked on their head unless they're really good at strafing.

Really aught to be removed for launch, it's so prone to abuse considering how much easier it is than keyboard.

Especially when stuff like this is going to 100% be in the game if it stays.
In other words... fuck people who play on the couch with gamepad right? No thanks.

They should create separate PVP lobbies or somehow block software that allows using it with mkb.

TheRed

Everyone should just move on to the greatness that is the Steam controller. No need for aim assist and you also get the gamepad feel of control. This game plays really great with it.

Trace

Banned
In other words... fuck people who play on the couch with gamepad right? No thanks.

They should create separate PVP lobbies or somehow block software that allows using it with mkb.

Or just do what Overwatch did and remove controller aim assist completely. It's a PC game and aim assist has no place in it.

rocK`

Banned
Or just do what Overwatch did and remove controller aim assist completely. It's a PC game and aim assist has no place in it.

Weird, i had this stance awhile back in this thread and was met with controller sympathizers.

I don't see why the person who wants to sit on the couch playing with his controller gets a benefit where others do not.

I (and others in this thread) are saying - fine, play with your controller, just remove any software enhancements and we're all good.

yep, this.

I was playing D1 for the last few days since I skipped the game and the aim assist is gross. I haven't played a console FPS in awhile so I forgot what aim assist is like. Super gross. I said aloud, "um can I do the aiming now please, Bungie?" several times.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The beta has very little content so I haven't touched it since the first day, but it sold me on the game. The PC version is really great and I expect it to only get better by launch, if they could scrape out another 5fps through optimisation I'd be able to play on the settings I want and never dip under 60fps. The PvP really isn't for me though, I'll be buying this for the campaign mostly, and then further PvE content.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
gonna give it one final try to finish this story mission and if I get the same error again im calling it on the beta. Seems theres little content anyway, and its mostly used to see how it will run, which is fantastic, so thats fine.

dmix90

Fuck that. One of the reasons that i won't play Overwatch is because it does not have controller tweaks from console versions. Gunplay of Destiny is good on controller because it has those assists if you remove it altogether you will fuck all( or those who rely on it and like it ) controller users and make their experience worse.

It should be an option to turn it off though... AN OPTION... not mandatory removing.

Kibe

Neo Member
Fuck that. One of the reasons that i won't play Overwatch is because it does not have controller tweaks from console versions. Gunplay of Destiny is good on controller because it has those assists if you remove it altogether you will fuck all( or those who rely on it and like it ) controller users and make their experience worse.

It should be an option to turn it off though... AN OPTION... not mandatory removing.

Enable aim assist on PvE

Disable aim assist on PvP

Problem solved, if you want to be/play competitive, choose the competitive way.

Akronis

Aight, just finished the first mission. Got to say, I have no idea what people see in this game. Sorry if that's overly negative, but it felt like one of the most generic shooters ever.

Maybe the opening mission is a terrible example of what the rest of the game will be like, but I don't think I'll be buying the game after this. No interest in PvP either.

Azerth

or bungie can just make it so that k+m players only play with each other and those who use a controller play with each other.

EL CUCO

Aight, just finished the first mission. Got to say, I have no idea what people see in this game. Sorry if that's overly negative, but it felt like one of the most generic shooters ever.

Maybe the opening mission is a terrible example of what the rest of the game will be like, but I don't think I'll be buying the game after this. No interest in PvP either.
Play the Strike, then report back.

Strakt

or bungie can just make it so that k+m players only play with each other and those who use a controller play with each other.

that would segregate the community way too much.. IMO remove aim assist from PVP (Keep it in PVE), or lower the amount of aim assist you get greatly / and fix the shit where people can get aim assist on m/kb using that trick posted on reddit

dmix90

Enable aim assist on PvE

That's not fair.
Mouse/KB edge is getting a bit too big in this case.
Maybe i want to be competitive on controller and it won't have the same feel without assists/tweaks.

Crysis had a toggle in server list menu for controller users. Not sure how effective it was but it definitely was there. They switch button prompts depending on your input method so it's easy to track this thing. Like i said there will be workarounds for cheaters but it's still something.

Nabbis

The beta has very little content so I haven't touched it since the first day, but it sold me on the game. The PC version is really great and I expect it to only get better by launch, if they could scrape out another 5fps through optimisation I'd be able to play on the settings I want and never dip under 60fps. The PvP really isn't for me though, I'll be buying this for the campaign mostly, and then further PvE content.

Prepare to not touch the game in like 5 days after release then. Does not seem to be a lot of content in the full release.

Strakt

That's not fair.
Maybe i want to be competitive on controller and it won't have the same feel without assists/tweaks.

Crysis had a toggle in server list menu for controller users. Not sure how effective it was but it definitely was there. They switch button promts depending on your input method so it's easy to track this thing. Like i said there will be workarounds for cheaters but it's still something.

Well you're playing on PC where m/kb gets priority over everything else. Controller is a secondary option for people who want the console experience.. but that experience shouldn't provide such a huge assist in aiming. it ruins the competitive experience

Kibe

Neo Member
That's not fair.

Crysis had a toggle in server list menu for controller users. Not sure how effective it was but it definitely was there. They switch button promts depending on your input method so it's easy to track this thing. Like i said there will be workarounds for cheaters but it's still something.

You can't be competitive with a controller, there's no argument here.

It's like playing Rocket League with a keyboard and mouse and complaining you don't have full 360 degrees control of your car.

Prepare to not touch the game in like 5 days after release then. Does not seem to be a lot of content in the full release.

We already know there isn't a lot of content in the game? Cause I don't think I'm buying it then, the strike was a lot of fun for me and I expected lots of that. Don't care about PVP tbh.

EL CUCO

The Strike isnt as corridorish as the mission is. There's a bit more mechanics in some of the encounters as well. And yes, there's a bit more enemy variety with the Vex involved.

That's not fair.
I would certainly hope it wouldn't have the same "feel". Have you played Destiny 1? The aim assist is GROSS. Surely you don't need that much help aiming.

What about the strike is different exactly? More enemy variety? Anything beyond shooting bulletspongey enemies and bosses? AI actually challenging?

Again, sorry if this is overly negative.

Boss is challenging. Nothing leading up to him is.

And yea, everything is bullet spongey. It's a quasi-MMO. It's how such games are designed. Boss battles are supposed to last 5-10 minutes.

We already know there isn't a lot of content in the game? Cause I don't think I'm buying it then, the strike was a lot of fun for me and I expected lots of that. Don't care about PVP tbh.

If the several videos about EDZ last week and impressions are anything to go by, there'll be lots of content for players to play.

Nabbis is just being himself, as usual.

rocK`

Banned
also, for those complaining about the anti-controller hate going on, I hope you don't mind me leveraging your software based aim assist when I funnel my KB+M inputs to a controller to have both precision movement and aimbot level aiming.

Chris R

Is there a command or toggle to show FPS in game? Bumped things up to maximum settings @ 1440p on my 1080 but I BET my CPU is holding me back :(

Also, had a bunch more fun with this in the 45 mins I played last night than I ever did in D1... might even end up grabbing it at launch.

Is there a command or toggle to show FPS in game? Bumped things up to maximum settings @ 1440p on my 1080 but I BET my CPU is holding me back :(

Also, had a bunch more fun with this in the 45 mins I played last night than I ever did in D1... might even end up grabbing it at launch.

The FPS counter can be found in the gameplay options

dmix90

Well you're playing on PC where m/kb gets priority over everything else. Controller is a secondary option for people who want the console experience.. but that experience shouldn't provide such a huge assist in aiming. it ruins the competitive experience
I play exclusively on gamepad on PC and i am not the only one. That's default input method for me.
You can't be competitive with a controller, there's no argument here.

It's like playing Rocket League with a keyboard and mouse and complaining you don't have full 360 degrees control of your car.
I played today on gamepad and was doing ok in PVP, so......... you can be competitive on gamepad after all huh?

I would certainly hope it wouldn't have the same "feel". Have you played Destiny 1? The aim assist is GROSS. Surely you don't need that much help aiming.
Maybe i don't need so much. Provide an option in menu to tweak amount of aim assist. That's perfectly fine.

All this sounds like input method discrimination lol.

You can turn it on In the settings menu. What CPU do you have?

Akronis

Boss is challenging. Nothing leading up to him is.

And yea, everything is bullet spongey. It's a quasi-MMO. It's how such games are designed. Boss battles are supposed to last 5-10 minutes.

Sorry but I completely disagree. There are plenty of ways to make a bossfight fun and long without making it tedious bulletsponge crap. Well designed MMOs don't have that problem.

Sorry but I completely disagree. There are plenty of ways to make a bossfight fun and long without making it tedious bulletsponge crap. Well designed MMOs don't have that problem.

But the boss battle of the strike is actually fun and kinda challenging, have you tried it yet?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The beta is a TINY part of what the full game will be. The beta is 1 story mission, 1 strike, and crucible.

Destiny 1 base game had 22 story missions, 6 strikes, patrol mode, 1 raid, and crucible. Not sure what Destiny 2 will have but I expect the same if not more.

Nabbis

Yea because you've played the full release right?

If i see a turd on the ground, do i need to spend hours in a lab with a microscope to deem it as such? Not that this game is like that, but the patronizing posts of fans pretty much deserve such analogies.

It's not like there's not enough of info on what content ships with the game. Considering the epic scope that Bungie brought us with the original Destiny release after hyping it as the next best thing since Christ, i doubt there will be surprises.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If i see a turd on the ground, do i need to spend hours in a lab with a microscope to deem it as such? Not that this game is like that, but the patronizing posts of fans pretty much deserve such analogies.

It's not like there's not enough of info on what content ships with the game.Considering the epic scope that Bungie brought us with the original Destiny release after hyping it as the next best thing since Christ, i doubt there will be surprises.

If you don't enjoy the game then don't play it or come into topics about it.

It's not like there's not enough of info on what content ships with the game.Considering the epic scope that Bungie brought us with the original Destiny release after hyping it as the next best thing since Christ, i doubt there will be surprises.

It could just be a piece of corn from the turd and you don't know if it's a piece of corn from a turd or just a regular piece of corn.

That's a more accurate example.

Strakt

I play exclusively on gamepad on PC and i am not the only one. That's default input method for me.
I played today on gamepad and was doing ok in PVP, so......... you can be competitive on gamepad after all huh?

Maybe i don't need so much. Provide an option in menu to tweak amount of aim assist. That's perfectly fine.

All this sounds like input method discrimination lol.

If you play exclusively on a gamepad then thats fine... but like I said, mouse/kb is priority for PC users.. while using a controller is secondary. They need to balance the game in a way where the aim assist is lowered greatly on controller or remove it in general for PVP.. and fix the problem where m/kb users are able to exploit the aim assist w/o using a controller.

Enable aim assist on PvE

lol, this would never work in a game where you're constantly switching back and forth between pve and pvp. It would mess with the player wayyyyyyy too much.

Strakt

It's not like there's not enough of info on what content ships with the game. Considering the epic scope that Bungie brought us with the original Destiny release after hyping it as the next best thing since Christ, i doubt there will be surprises.

I mean.. if you don't like the game then why do you still comment on it? Wouldn't you rather talk about something you enjoy rather than repeatedly spreading hate on something you don't? There are millions of people who enjoy destiny and a shit ton more who have never experienced it on PC.. but finally get to.

CHC

I'll probably get this on sale, later. I hated Destiny 1 and heavily regret purchasing it, even at $30, but I actually enjoyed this little beta quite a bit. The content is seemingly better, and I enjoyed the benefits of playing on PC.

I'm not the kind of person who will grind endlessly at the level cap, so whether I purchase it or not is contingent on how the leveling content and the campaign are. If that Inverted Spire mission is the standard, I'm in. That was really good - nice variety of pacing and environments, great boss, beautiful environment.

That's all I need to sell me, since the core gunplay feels excellent already.

List them. I'd like to check them out. I've played and/or watched EVE, WoW, Path of Exile, Diablo 3 and others. They all have boss/fight mechanics that require spraying damage on boss-type enemies over time. Every single one. The mechanic predates MMOs and is/was the staple feature in most RPGs, action games, action RPGs, and so on.

So if you're playing better designed MMOs that don't require you to deal extensive mounts of damage over time far in excess of the damage required to kill regular minions, I'd like to see it.

Also, who said it was tedious? The D2 boss fights were all cool, especially the strike. Which you haven't even played. If you don't want to be bothered with the game, why are you here? Hoping the product will change in the next week to suit your preferences? If you need people to sell you on it, skip it. Plenty of other games coming out to play. Spend your money on those and enjoy yourself.

Sygma

Man, Warlock is just fucking dumb in PvP. Blink gives iframes, Scatherlocke recoil is basically non existent and if you go for Better Devils, for some reason it plays better than on the Hunter

Also every MMO formula as far as bullet sponge is the following : when you get all the gear provided by said encounter, it suddenly isn't bullet spongey at all anymore. The end. Its all about that sense of power progression between your basic bitch gear and the BiS

Gorillaz

The beta is a TINY part of what the full game will be. The beta is 1 story mission, 1 strike, and crucible.

Destiny 1 base game had 22 story missions, 6 strikes, patrol mode, 1 raid, and crucible. Not sure what Destiny 2 will have but I expect the same if not more.

Don't actually do this to yourself. I just had a flashback to 3 years ago with that one.

Trace

Banned

Bind your controller to mouse + keyboard inputs so you don't have aim assist. Let me know how well you do.

Don't actually do this to yourself. I just had a flashback to 3 years ago with that one.

There is significantly less content in this beta than there was in the D1 beta.

Nabbis

I mean.. if you don't like the game then why do you still comment on it? Wouldn't you rather talk about something you enjoy rather than repeatedly spreading hate on something you don't? There are millions of people who enjoy destiny and a shit ton more who have never experienced it on PC.. but finally get to.

Man, Bungie must be shivering over my comments. Clearly the game is bound to fail due to one unsatisfied potential customer.

You already have the OT to drink the hype koolaid, if you need a safe space that is.

Top Bottom