• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Souls: Remake for PS4 popped up on the PlayStation database

Even IF Ratchet and Clack isn’t ported (it will be, especially if Sony can’t get enough consoles out there—just wait), that’s…um…one of two AAA , $80 (U.S.) games total that are PS5 exclusive now from launch to end of 2021.

How would they get Ratchet to work on the PS4? Just looking at the I/O they would have to make some pretty big changes.

I don't think a loading screen with every level switch is going to be enjoyable.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Where is that another one gif when you need it?

Also:

pp5-932x450.jpg
I wish I could go back and find my posts but I never believed their retraction back then. It was obvious to me that they were lying about this screenshot being a mistake.

This thing is a 1:1 remake of a PS3 game. They only upgraded the graphics. You can easily port this to PS4. Especially since they targeted 60 fps at 1440p. That means the Pro should easily be able to do a 1440p 30 fps version with PS4 quality visuals. It wouldve been much harder to port if it were 1440p 30 fps on the PS5.

PS4 will probably come in around 900p 30 fps with downgraded Bloodborne quality visuals.

Grrrr I'm SOOOOOO angry I got to play a game at 4K 60fps with super fast loading times whilst PS4 users had the luxury of playing it at 1080p/30fps with slow ass HDD loading times.

1440p 60 fps. Not 4k 60 fps. They didnt push the graphics as much as the UE5 demo because unlike the UE5 target of 1440p, their target was 1440p 60 fps. They left a lot of performance on the table. A 5 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU can run this game at 1440p 30 fps.

Last edited:

aclar00

Never got this argument. Do you feel duped when buying a 3070 because a 1060 can play the same games?

This is one aspect about PC gaming that i dont care for, though it's not in my top 3. Developing across cards and components. This very fact, along with a limited number of new cards and the sheer variety of cards (let alone other components) makes optimization very limited, if nonexistent.

I wouldn't feel duped but more disappointed at what could have been if the games i purchased were built for my unit. I know little about programing, but somehow i dont think it's as simple as adjusting a slider for slightly better textures and/or framerates.

i digress though, its just the nature of PC gamimg.

Maybe not so much duped....

DonJorginho

Banned
1440p 60 fps. Not 4k 60 fps. They didnt push the graphics as much as the UE5 demo because unlike the UE5 target of 1440p, their target was 1440p 60 fps. They left a lot of performance on the table. A 5 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU can run this game at 1440p 30 fps.
Dynamic 4K no? If I'm wrong then my bad but I couldn't tell it was 1440p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dynamic 4K no? If I'm wrong then my bad but I couldn't tell it was 1440p
Nope 1440p 60 fps.

native 4k was locked to 30 fps.

The biggest difference is going to be in the quality of the textures and the rendering quality. They are using some form of realtime GI which will have to be paired back and their streaming engine was pushing something crazy like 4 GB a second which obviously will need be paired back resulting in lower level of detail in the game.

But if it comes to PC, I can assure you something like a 5600xt with 5 tflops should be able to run this at the same visual fidelity 1440p 30 fps.

Last edited:

Banned
This is one aspect about PC gaming that i dont care for, though it's not in my top 3. Developing across cards and components. This very fact, along with a limited number of new cards and the sheer variety of cards (let alone other components) makes optimization very limited, if nonexistent.

I wouldn't feel duped but more disappointed at what could have been if the games i purchased were built for my unit. I know little about programing, but somehow i dont think it's as simple as adjusting a slider for slightly better textures and/or framerates.

i digress though, its just the nature of PC gamimg.

Maybe not so much duped....

with most modern engines it literally is that easy.
Cryengine had PS3 and 360 preset buttons back when CryEngine 3 released, they even showed it off on an expo.

most games these days simply use PC values when porting to console. only minor adjustments are made. remember the DF video about Watch Dogs Legion? the console settings are literally viewable in the PC version's ini files and correspond almost entirely to the available PC settings

of course if you wanna squeeze every last drop out of a system, that's not as easy as that, but rarely any game does/tries that nowadays.

Last edited:
Same lol - supposed to be an Argos drop tonight and maybe Amazon in the morning. Fed up of my PS4 now.

Why yes it's not like I'm trying to get a PS5 to use it as a sex toy. I've been watching Amazon like a hawk and so far I didn't get lucky. Hopefully they have a restock soon.

aclar00

Dude, no. Please go look at the developer interviews. It's a PS5 exclusive. Period. It can't come to the PS4 unless it's an entirely different game. It's just not possible at all.

I also think it is great fun and by far better than the last entry. So your opinion in that area is just that. An opinion. What's fact is it's a PS5 exclusive.

Weird ass attempts to try and discredit PS5 exclusivity on this board going on lately.

Isn't it basically a 1-1 port of a PS3? If so, why couldnt it be done? Only four things would likely change...loading, textures, framerate and resolution. AI would stay the same, amount of characters on screen, combat mechanics and all likelihood, sound.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wonder how the PS4 will handle all that ray-tracing goodness. 😆

Seriously, I’m starting to feel duped in buying a PS5 with all of these titles going to the PS4 now. I’m fully expecting a Returnal and Ratchet and Clank SKU to show up for the PS4 by this holiday…at which point I’ll be asking what was the point of this whole PS5 console releasing in 2020?
I'll buy your PS5 then, sunshine.

Banned
Dude, no. Please go look at the developer interviews. It's a PS5 exclusive. Period. It can't come to the PS4 unless it's an entirely different game. It's just not possible at all.

I also think it is great fun and by far better than the last entry. So your opinion in that area is just that. An opinion. What's fact is it's a PS5 exclusive.

Weird ass attempts to try and discredit PS5 exclusivity on this board going on lately.

it is literally a PS3 game code running underneath a new graphics engine.
it's basically like the Halo 1 and 2 remasters. the original code runs the game logic, and their in house engine is used to replace the graphics. and graphics is the easiest thing to scale down in videogames, which is why stuff like Doom and Wolfenstein 2 can run on a Switch... the engine is not that CPU heavy and the game logic doesn't bring the mobile CPU to its knees like some other games would.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Who do you think is doing the port and support for a PS4 launch? Bluepoint hasn't updated Demon's Souls PS5 since December. That is when their contract for the project ended and where your hopes of a PS4 port ended as well.

The game runs on a PS3, so there will be no problem on a PS4 and a Pro.

Not sure if the downgrades would be an issue. Technically the game had some issues on the PS3. It could be fine on the PS4 but it might be too much of a downgrade for some people.

We have to wait and see what the tech comparisons say. Hopefully framerate is good on the PS4 if it exists.

Who do you think is doing the port and support for a PS4 launch? Bluepoint hasn't updated Demon's Souls PS5 since December. That is when their contract for the project ended and where your hopes of a PS4 port ended as well.

It could be possible that it was cancelled.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

Or they finished it then and it’s sat on a HDD in Sony HQ for a year

Banned
Not sure if the downgrades would be an issue. Technically the game had some issues on the PS3. It could be fine on the PS4 but it might be too much of a downgrade for some people.

We have to wait and see what the tech comparisons say. Hopefully framerate is good on the PS4 if it exists.

it not being made by FromSoftware actually boads well for it xD a steady, perfectly framepaced 30fps is totally doable

aclar00

with most modern engines it literally is that easy.
Cryengine had PS3 and 360 preset buttons back when CryEngine 3 released, they even showed it off on an expo.

most games these days simply use PC values when porting to console. only minor adjustments are made. remember the DF video about Watch Dogs Legion? the console settings are literally viewable in the PC version's ini files and correspond almost entirely to the available PC settings

of course if you wanna squeeze every last drop out of a system, that's not as easy as that, but rarely any game does/tries that nowadays.

Thanks for the input. The last bit is my primary point. In the current gen era, its not so much just the GPU, but rather other components, that when combined with the GPU and CPU allow for developers to create new experiences. Think 2D to 3D. Not simply 30fps to 60fps (or any fps variation) and slightly better textures and draw distances.

Again, i dont follow PC gaming or GPUs much anymore, but i assume, that it would be 5+ years before a new released PC game is going to say "minimum GPU = 3070"?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wonder how the PS4 will handle all that ray-tracing goodness. 😆

Seriously, I’m starting to feel duped in buying a PS5 with all of these titles going to the PS4 now. I’m fully expecting a Returnal and Ratchet and Clank SKU to show up for the PS4 by this holiday…at which point I’ll be asking what was the point of this whole PS5 console releasing in 2020?
There is no RT in Demons Souls I think... even if it looks like there is :p

it not being made by FromSoftware actually boads well for it xD a steady, perfectly framepaced 30fps is totally doable

I could see 30FPs but 60FPs is something that might be an issue. The I/O probably isn't as big of a deal but I can imagine much longer load times and worse memory management due to the HDD.

It's a PS3 game remade 1:1 so I don't know why it wouldn't be possible. Graphics are gonna take a huge hit though because I'm pretty sure Bluepoint said they were using the SSD to stream a shitload of assets constantly.

Banned

Panic Button? Sony inhouse? it's already done? multiple possibilities.

Panic Button can easily do it, they freaking rewrote some game logic for the Switch port of Warframe in order to make it run on the low end CPU of the system... this optimization work was so good, Digital Extremes then used Panic Button's optimizations to improve all the other versions of Warframe

studios like this exist and are waiting for work like this.

TonyK

I don't believe it will be released in PS4 but I admit it's the easiest PS5 exclusive to fit in a PS4.

I mean, we have games as Last of Us 2, Red Dead Redemption 2... Demons Souls have more fine detail, better textures, but it doesn't do anything not achievable in a PS4. There is no an impossible huge streamed world, thousands of NPCs, advanced physics or AI. For sure it's a game less ambitious than Horizon Forbidden West.

But don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game. I only think it's possible (but not probably) to be ported to Ps4.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Never understood the hype about its graphics. It looks good sure, but as I said after the first gameplay, the ps4 could easily handle it in 1080p30 (maybe with drs, and some smaller downgrades). The only game that feels 100% nextgen is Ratchet and Clank, and unfortunately I don’t see that changing anytime soon...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Never understood the hype about its graphics.
I'm in the same boat, but kinda assumed it was the grimdark look that just made it hard for it to really "pop" with me.. but I also didn't play very much of it.

It's very crisp, and I get the technical aspects.. but it just kind of bored me graphically lol

Last edited:

Aion002

If it is released, I just want to know if it's going to be 70 or 60 usd and if it's going to be cross buy.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
What the..

Why not?
Not because other people would get to play, that's good and I'd want that. My reasons are purely selfish. It was the reason I got a ps5 at launch though. I'd have waited and possibly have bought an entirely different system. They swore up and down it wasn't happening.

Stuart360

Even if the PS4 version looked identicle (and it wont, not texture wise anyway), the fact you get 60fps on PS5 makes the PS5 version the best. Plus you will of got to play it on PS5 at least a year before PS4, probably longer.

Derift

If true this is a terrible move... Sony have built up years of brand loyalty if they keep doing this shady shit it will go down the drain..

makaveli60

If true this is a terrible move... Sony have built up years of brand loyalty if they keep doing this shady shit it will go down the drain..
The dreamteam did that. This new management is just reaping what the previous sowed like there’s no tomorrow...

SJRB

Gold Member
Not because other people would get to play, that's good and I'd want that. My reasons are purely selfish. It was the reason I got a ps5 at launch though. I'd have waited and possibly have bought an entirely different system. They swore up and down it wasn't happening.

I understand, but I can promise you the PS5 version will be superior in literally every way. So you've lost nothing! And gained a PS5 in the process.

Top Bottom