• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Souls: Remake for PS4 popped up on the PlayStation database

dcmk7

Banned
Would really surprise me.

I'm not sure how well it sold on PS5, so from sales perspective would make a lot of sense.

Wouldn't be thrilled about it but if it means more BluePoint games get made, can live with it.

buenoblue

Yeah exactly, it's a PS3 game lol. Thinking it can't run on PS4 is crazy. Plus those saying they wished they never bought a ps5…come on now, PS4 versions are gonna be rough to go back too.

Billbofet

Why would anyone be mad about having an amazing game available to millions of more gamers? I would buy this in a heartbeat and I have beat the PS3 version multiple times.

Banned
If it is released, I just want to know if it's going to be 70 or 60 usd and if it's going to be cross buy.

1xgrWEA.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wonder how the PS4 will handle all that ray-tracing goodness. 😆

Seriously, I’m starting to feel duped in buying a PS5 with all of these titles going to the PS4 now. I’m fully expecting a Returnal and Ratchet and Clank SKU to show up for the PS4 by this holiday…at which point I’ll be asking what was the point of this whole PS5 console releasing in 2020?

I see an LOL in your post, so maybe you are joking but what's wrong with you man? Is the fun you have purely from the exclusivity of things that you own?

8bitpill

After you play on PS5, you won't come back to PS4.
I kind of figured this. I wanted to jump on it when they dropped them last November for the soul purpose of Demon's Souls Remake. But typically every new console release has always come with a delay in good games.

I've been there for the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 release. There is usually one, maybe two games worth playing when a console is launched. But within a year to two you really start to get those quality titles rolling out.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Seriously, I’m starting to feel duped in buying a PS5 with all of these titles going to the PS4 now. I’m fully expecting a Returnal and Ratchet and Clank SKU to show up for the PS4 by this holiday…at which point I’ll be asking what was the point of this whole PS5 console releasing in 2020?
Games developed years without the actual console on the market. Just cut cut cut on everything and you are good. Let's see how 60fps is gonna look like :D

Last edited:

Fbh

Technically it seam feasible.
It's basically a 1:1 remake of a 2009 game, it's also the smallest Souls game in scope and content.

At say 900p, 30fps and with some visual cutbacks I could definitely see it running on Ps4

So just like the GT7 Spanish retail "leak" from back in May 2020 that had PS4 listed, and we just got confirmation there is in fact a PS4 version, the "human error" listing of PC and other platforms (PS4) for Demon's Souls Remake from the September show has a high likelihood of being true after all, as well?

Not surprised at the slightest. Personally have no issue with the cross-gen stuff, but Sony should've been a lot more honest and up-front with their plans in that regard, and the media should've questioned them a bit more on it. Instead the media were antsy to wreck Microsoft a new one for being transparent early on with their cross-gen support (when in reality seems like they'll have less cross-gen support (i.e 1P games natively built for last-gen) than Sony), and Sony were 100% fine riding off of that due to the good optics even if in reality they are doing the same thing with most of their own 1P including games once PS5-only at launch.

You can't call that anything other than sleazeball double-standards, but I actually put the majority of the blame on the media for this. Can't blame Sony too much for taking the opportunity for good optics (even if they were deceitful), and Microsoft could've phrased their intentions a little better if they knew how the media would try pushing it narrative-wise, something I think they're a lot more aware of now.

So just like the GT7 Spanish retail "leak" from back in May 2020 that had PS4 listed, and we just got confirmation there is in fact a PS4 version, the "human error" listing of PC and other platforms (PS4) for Demon's Souls Remake from the September show has a high likelihood of being true after all, as well?

Not surprised at the slightest. Personally have no issue with the cross-gen stuff, but Sony should've been a lot more honest and up-front with their plans in that regard, and the media should've questioned them a bit more on it. Instead the media were antsy to wreck Microsoft a new one for being transparent early on with their cross-gen support (when in reality seems like they'll have less cross-gen support (i.e 1P games natively built for last-gen) than Sony), and Sony were 100% fine riding off of that due to the good optics even if in reality they are doing the same thing with most of their own 1P including games once PS5-only at launch.

You can't call that anything other than sleazeball double-standards, but I actually put the majority of the blame on the media for this. Can't blame Sony too much for taking the opportunity for good optics (even if they were deceitful), and Microsoft could've phrased their intentions a little better if they knew how the media would try pushing it narrative-wise, something I think they're a lot more aware of now.

I don't really believe that will impact PS5 sales.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I understand, but I can promise you the PS5 version will be superior in literally every way. So you've lost nothing! And gained a PS5 in the process.
Oh, without question. Still not cool that they would back pedal on it. I'd have no issue if they had said it day 1.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Never got this argument. Do you feel duped when buying a 3070 because a 1060 can play the same games?
Everyone is different in that regard, but I sure as hell don't buy 500$ hardware to play the same games I can play on the hardware I already own, just for better visuals.

You know that demon souls came out on PS3 right? LMAO. You can go sell that PS5 for a easy profit. And buy a PS3.

Ratchet and Clank is easy on PS4, just have alot of loading and remove ray-tracing. Its not that complicated.

Banned
Ratchet and Clank is easy on PS4, just have alot of loading and remove ray-tracing. Its not that complicated.

Ratchet is not that easy to do on PS4. there is a planet that lets you switch between 2 different dimensions manually. and for that they would need to redo the assets of that level, try to reuse as much as possible between both dimensions and shrink down texture size in order to load most of the scene into ram as soon as you come close to a spot where you can switch Dimension. if they then make the transition slightly longer as well it should work.

so some aspects would need retooling to work on PS4 but it is indeed possible... just not easy

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. The last bit is my primary point. In the current gen era, its not so much just the GPU, but rather other components, that when combined with the GPU and CPU allow for developers to create new experiences. Think 2D to 3D. Not simply 30fps to 60fps (or any fps variation) and slightly better textures and draw distances.

Again, i dont follow PC gaming or GPUs much anymore, but i assume, that it would be 5+ years before a new released PC game is going to say "minimum GPU = 3070"?
Look, I'll try being as nice as possible saying this but the SSDs (not that you specifically mentioned SSDs, but usually that's what a lot of other people have implied in the past when talking about this) alone aren't enough of a revolution in the "other components" department to bring a shift to game design the way going from 2D to 3D was. The restructure of file I/O will have its part, but I don't think it alone is going to bring the revolution some are deluding themselves into thinking it will.

For that, you will be looking towards the cloud for the near future, and VR (and a bit later, AR) a bit further out from that. SSD I/O, the cloud, VR/AR in tandem will in time bring that type of paradigm shift, but out of all of those SSD I/O (in terms of local, individual native game consoles) plays the smallest part.

Why? Because with that you are still ultimately dealing with fixed data in fixed location on a singular device, a device with a capacity limit and a limit in data alteration due to physical write/endurance cycle limitations. Comparatively, cloud streaming (I mean completely outside of obvious use-cases like game streaming, though that factors into this as well when dealing with an array of devices wirelessly connected over a network) allows for data streaming of its own type; at a much lower bandwidth technically speaking, but with data that isn't taking up local storage space, and coming from sources that have constantly malleable data. A SSD can't continuously provide new weather data to the player that can then be used for the game's own weather systems, but a data center of servers streaming that real-time data to a local client over a network connection via the cloud can. They could even put that data on the SSD and the game then stream it in from the SSD, as an example of both technologies working together.

There are other examples too, though. Take a game with a native instance on a console, and a cloud instance that can stream to a phone, television etc. Say you have four televisions in your home and one has the console connected while the other three are streaming, and the game is running on all four screens. Clever games in the future (near or distant, is up to developer creative visions) can take advantage of that in game design terms. They can stream part of the game world on one television, and other parts on the other screens, the player seamlessly going between each as they walk around to proximity areas of those televisions. An AR-style game with MMO elements for example, could take really good advantage of this both in homes and at public venue spaces hosting the game, kind of like a persistent pseudo-arcade spanning many real-world miles or locations.

Other examples could include games that still involve a single screen, but could have a game mechanic where you're not only playing your instance natively on your console but streaming dozens of other player's instances in real time simultaneously, able to jump in and out of them in real-time as an active participant, perhaps to figure out a puzzle in your own local instance of the game. These are just really easy examples of the benefits of cloud for game design purposes, but there are plenty of others.

And again, I'm not saying the SSD has no role in this, it clearly does. However, if we were to rank these things in terms of their potential impact on true design paradigm shifts in the medium, the SSD would very clearly rank below cloud streaming, and in due time I think both will rank below VR & AR once that tech becomes more ubiquitous/mainstream in gaming as a whole (so, maybe within another 6-8 years?).

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Whats up with people already 100% sure this is real? Didn't we get enought fake "rumors" not long ago?

As for the rumor I'm dubious, but its not difficult to believe they would reduce the visuals to fit on PS4.

Zeroing

Banned
Omg Jim is smart! By making that, all ps4s will explode and everyone will get the PS5, thus is ending the cross generation games!!!

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

Hugare

I honestly think its doable

It runs at 1440p 60 fps on the PS5

I can see it running at 900p 30 fps on the PS4, 1080P on the Pro

If Horizon FW is doable, I'm pretty sure that they can put DS on the PS4

Not Ratchet & Clank, tho. The SSD is absolutely necessary.

Never got this argument. Do you feel duped when buying a 3070 because a 1060 can play the same games?
Yes, if a developer tells me I need to buy a 3070 because my 1060 won't be able to play a game, but then it turns out my 1060 could play all games, then yes, I absolutely would fill duped.

martino

Look, I'll try being as nice as possible saying this but the SSDs (not that you specifically mentioned SSDs, but usually that's what a lot of other people have implied in the past when talking about this) alone aren't enough of a revolution in the "other components" department to bring a shift to game design the way going from 2D to 3D was. The restructure of file I/O will have its part, but I don't think it alone is going to bring the revolution some are deluding themselves into thinking it will.

For that, you will be looking towards the cloud for the near future, and VR (and a bit later, AR) a bit further out from that. SSD I/O, the cloud, VR/AR in tandem will in time bring that type of paradigm shift, but out of all of those SSD I/O (in terms of local, individual native game consoles) plays the smallest part.

Why? Because with that you are still ultimately dealing with fixed data in fixed location on a singular device, a device with a capacity limit and a limit in data alteration due to physical write/endurance cycle limitations. Comparatively, cloud streaming (I mean completely outside of obvious use-cases like game streaming, though that factors into this as well when dealing with an array of devices wirelessly connected over a network) allows for data streaming of its own type; at a much lower bandwidth technically speaking, but with data that isn't taking up local storage space, and coming from sources that have constantly malleable data. A SSD can't continuously provide new weather data to the player that can then be used for the game's own weather systems, but a data center of servers streaming that real-time data to a local client over a network connection via the cloud can. They could even put that data on the SSD and the game then stream it in from the SSD, as an example of both technologies working together.

There are other examples too, though. Take a game with a native instance on a console, and a cloud instance that can stream to a phone, television etc. Say you have four televisions in your home and one has the console connected while the other three are streaming, and the game is running on all four screens. Clever games in the future (near or distant, is up to developer creative visions) can take advantage of that in game design terms. They can stream part of the game world on one television, and other parts on the other screens, the player seamlessly going between each as they walk around to proximity areas of those televisions. An AR-style game with MMO elements for example, could take really good advantage of this both in homes and at public venue spaces hosting the game, kind of like a persistent pseudo-arcade spanning many real-world miles or locations.

Other examples could include games that still involve a single screen, but could have a game mechanic where you're not only playing your instance natively on your console but streaming dozens of other player's instances in real time simultaneously, able to jump in and out of them in real-time as an active participant, perhaps to figure out a puzzle in your own local instance of the game. These are just really easy examples of the benefits of cloud for game design purposes, but there are plenty of others.

And again, I'm not saying the SSD has no role in this, it clearly does. However, if we were to rank these things in terms of their potential impact on true design paradigm shifts in the medium, the SSD would very clearly rank below cloud streaming, and in due time I think both will rank below VR & AR once that tech becomes more ubiquitous/mainstream in gaming as a whole (so, maybe within another 6-8 years?).
i think people miss the point that road to ps5 was targeting developer and the "revolution" talked in it was more for "how" they produce content than the "what"

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Port the new ratchet to ps4

and the ps5 is basically a fugly ps4 you can’t buy 😂😂

/more people more fun eh

Last edited:

Holammer

Whats up with people already 100% sure this is real? Didn't we get enought fake "rumors" not long ago?

As for the rumor I'm dubious, but its not difficult to believe they would reduce the visuals to fit on PS4.
It's not a rumor, if you read the tweet in the OP you'd know it is the results of data-mining.
Here's an article giving some context.

Banned
Not Ratchet & Clank, tho. The SSD is absolutely necessary.

it's not. it is for the version they made on PS5, but not in order to do the stuff they do in the game. you can always simplify assets in order to fit into ram or load relatively fast from a slower drive.

as an example (an extreme one but still), Super Mario 3D World on Wii U was designed in a way that almost all the important assets of the game would fit into the Wii U's RAM pool at once. this meant that the game, once you are in the world map, has almost zero loading times. in fact, they needed to artificially slow down level transitions in order to give players time to join/leave the party and choose their character. and even with that artificial slowing down, you are in a level within less than 4 seconds, loading FROM A BLURAY DISC!

Mario Galaxy on Wii loads also in about 3 seconds into a level, sometimes faster. if you want fast loading you can have it, if you actually tailor your game towards it. and it doesn't matter how slow your storage medium is. the Wii can load 8MB as second...

fast transitions are not impossible on a slow harddrive, the issue is that they would need to optimize the assets in order to work on the slower drive.
all you have to do is size assets accordingly, maybe try and reuse as much as possible between levels and if your CPU sucks (which is the case for the PS4) then having as much of them uncompressed as possible is key :)

edit: an example of a modern game,
here's a clip of someone fast traveling in Doom Eternal level in about 2 seconds on a PS4 (On One X this is even faster):

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Have we opened the PS5 and made sure its not just two PS4's taped together at this point?

I believe that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart uses the SSD too heavily for it to be ported. So, at least that's one of the PS5 exclusives that should remain an actual PS5 exclusive. Say what you will about MS, but they've been up pretty upfront about what's cross-gen and what isn't.

Port the new ratchet to ps4

and the ps5 is basically a fugly ps4 you can’t buy 😂😂

/more people more fun eh
to be honest i think they could port ratchet to ps4...they would not have ray tracing but the rift stuff has been done before in games like titanfall 2

it's not. it is for the version they made on PS5, but not in order to do the stuff they do in the game. you can always simplify assets in order to fit into ram or load relatively fast from a slower drive.

as an example (an extreme one but still), Super Mario 3D World on Wii U was designed in a way that almost all the important assets of the game would fit into the Wii U's RAM pool. this meant that the game, once you are in the world map, has almost zero loading times. in fact, they needed to artificially slow down level transitions in order to give players time to join/leave the party and choose their character. and even with that artificial slowing down, you are in a level within less than 4 seconds.

Mario Galaxy on Wii loads also in about 3 seconds into a level, sometimes faster. if you want fast loading you can have it, if you actually tailor your game towards it. and it doesn't matter how slow your storage medium is. the Wii can load 8MB as second...

fast transitions are not impossible on a slow harddrive, the issue is that they would need to optimize the assets in order to work on the slower drive.
all you have to do is size assets accordingly, maybe try and reuse as much as possible between levels and if your CPU sucks (which is the case for the PS4) then having as much of them uncompressed as possible is key :)

How do you change GBs of data into MBs of data?

Banned
How do you change GBs of data into MBs of data?

you don't, first of all we don't know how much of the data is already in ram in the transition on that specific planet (the other transitions are mostly cosmetic setpiece moments so they don't really matter)
in the worst case scenario you maybe would need to half the file size and double the transition time.

so textures might be lower res, background detail would be way lower and repeat more and it takes 1.5 seconds to transition instead of 0.75

look at the video of Doom Eternal I edited into my post. that game was made with fast transitions in mind, and you can fast travel to any point of a level within less than 3 seconds, often less than 2
so a modern game with pretty good graphics can totally do that on a PS4 if it is designed with that in mind.

all that an SSD really does is it enables this with even higher quality assets.

Last edited:
Ratchet is not that easy to do on PS4. there is a planet that lets you switch between 2 different dimensions manually. and for that they would need to redo the assets of that level, try to reuse as much as possible between both dimensions and shrink down texture size in order to load most of the scene into ram as soon as you come close to a spot where you can switch Dimension. if they then make the transition slightly longer as well it should work.

so some aspects would need retooling to work on PS4 but it is indeed possible... just not easy
Nobody said easy or even enjoyable. Everything can be done. Its going to be some PS2-PS3 level loading though. With some PS2 level graphics.

Banned
Nobody said easy or even enjoyable. Everything can be done. Its going to be some PS2-PS3 level loading though. With some PS2 level graphics.

well now you're making it seem way too hard lol
we had these graphics on PS4, Xbox One doing it in literally 1 frame... so...

Last edited:

FingerBang

I bought a PS5 on day one with this game and I'd be happy if a PS4 version came out.

We don't know when PS5 will be widely available and they didn't have to compromise making the game for PS5 only. It's obvious it could easily run on PS4 by scaling down graphics and resolution and a lot of people wait years before upgrading. Why not?

For the people who would feel "betrayed" or who are questioning their purchase: you can sell your console for more than you paid. Make someone else happy.

you don't, first of all we don't know how much of the data is already in ram in the transition on that specific planet (the other transitions are mostly cosmetic setpiece moments so they don't really matter)
in the worst case scenario you maybe would need to half the file size and double the transition time.

so textures might be lower res, background detail would be way lower and repeat more and it takes 1.5 seconds to transition instead of 0.75

look at the video of Doom Eternal I edited into my post. that game was made with fast transitions in mind, and you can fast travel to any point of a level within less than 3 seconds, often less than 2
so a modern game with pretty good graphics can totally do that on a PS4 if it is designed with that in mind.

all that an SSD really does is it enables this with even higher quality assets.

I was making a reference to the developer saying that they are swapping out GBs of data. And I believe they mentioned on several occasions that almost all the data comes from the SSD during those intense transitions.

I'm just assuming what the dev said was true.

Edit: I'm going through this thread to make sure I'm remembering it correctly.

• Switching between dimensions was reliant on the SSD and each level took up all the avaible space on RAM so memory was filled within under a second when switching and each level was retained at full quality level.

Ok that's where I remember seeing something like that.

And here's where I heard the GBs of data.

Last edited:
I bought this game as well day 1 with my PS5, for those of you who are feeling "unhappy" or "betrayed" bring your imaginary PS5 to me and I'll buy it and sell it to someone who wants one lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
to be honest i think they could port ratchet to ps4...they would not have ray tracing but the rift stuff has been done before in games like titanfall 2
Same i don’t believe this power OF ssd impossible stuff 🤨
Like sure it matters but impossible? Eh

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
its obviously a downport.

If PS4 unable to run dark souls 3 in 60 fps , expect it to run 30fps (unstable) with downgraded settings , and instant loadiong not possible as well

Demon souls remake look good, but not next gen good, doesnt has any next gen features you can think off except fast loading which you can easily modify it for downporting.

One more thing though, whats the fucking point of a downport demon souls on PS4 when you already had a superior dark souls 3 on last gen?

Last edited:

skneogaf

I've been unable to find a ps5 available to buy but I absolutely love from software games so I'd buy this and play it on my ps4pro in a drop of a heart beat at full price.

Either that or wait till I'm able to find a ps5 in a few years I imagine and I'll pay £15 in a sale!

Last edited:
Top Bottom