• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dedicated Server for ACC on personal computer. A bad idea?

Catphish

I don't know shit about hosting my own dedicated server for games, and I'm having a hard time finding answers online, so I thought I'd try here.

I was thinking about setting up a dedicated server for Assetto Corsa Competizione, a racing game.

I have a 2nd computer on my home network which would make a fine candidate for hosting. However, it's also a backup device for my primary PC. It has copies of all my pictures, videos, and much of my important personal information (financials, legals, etc).

Spinning up a server involves port forwarding. I assume this automatically opens the machine up to the possibility of malicious traffic.

Is this a bad idea? If so, is there anything that can be done to mitigate the risk? Or should I just scrap the idea altogether and use a dedicated machine with nothing else on it but the OS and the server tool?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't know shit about hosting my own dedicated server for games, and I'm having a hard time finding answers online, so I thought I'd try here.

I was thinking about setting up a dedicated server for Assetto Corsa Competizione, a racing game.

I have a 2nd computer on my home network which would make a fine candidate for hosting. However, it's also a backup device for my primary PC. It has copies of all my pictures, videos, and much of my important personal information (financials, legals, etc).

Spinning up a server involves port forwarding. I assume this automatically opens the machine up to the possibility of malicious traffic.

Is this a bad idea? If so, is there anything that can be done to mitigate the risk? Or should I just scrap the idea altogether and use a dedicated machine with nothing else on it but the OS and the server tool?
You can absolutely run it on your second device, just educate yourself beforehand. Don't open up ports on your network if you don't fully understand the implications.

Paying for server space from a provider is a better option if you don't have the time, energy, or resources to run your own.

Top Bottom