• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding - November 8-2019

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Y'all need to adjust your expectations... This isn't looking good.

DbeE9j6.png

"pacing is way off
Story is interesting, just too much gaps in between
if you don't play this game often you'll forget what happened before the next cutscene happens"
"DS is basically 1hr of cool shit
4hrs of delivering packages to npcs"

open world is more interesting than MGSV, but has the same drawbacks of open world -
"it's more interesting lol, mgs5 was so dead
hard to beat it"

"it's fun when you explore new land
but when the game asks you to drive back 5km just to deliver a package to a place you've been to before
you're like "fk off""

"all the safe houses look the exact same
they all have the exact same building you enter to connect
and all the resting places are 100% copy and paste the same in all of them"

"Minecraft has elements of hiding and taking shelter when it's dark
this has no day/night cycle which is a huge fail
but it has rain
when it rains you need to take shelter or it will damage your cargo"

"well i like exploring
and roleplaying, aka playing the game like i am really there"

"just know the start of the game is a bit of a chore at some times"

"it's not as good as RDR2 or God of War
but then again, it's a different game
it's focus is cooperation and exploration
if you are expecting third person stealth action MGS6
you're gonna want to refund"

That’s disappointing to read. I am glad they are letting out reviews a week before the game comes out.

vpance

Can't really expect miracles from an 80 person team. What they accomplished I'm sure is still impressive.

Production value is high as per Kojima standards, but when it comes to variety in open world games it's just not happening without having hundreds of artists and asset creators.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Eh.. if you can drive a bus for hours on end or build a civilization from a cellular level then being a delivery man in some crazy futuristic world can be fun. I’m staying optimistic.

I'm not worried about the game having a slower pace at the start. I like everything I've seen about the gameplay, crazy Sci-Fi story so far and the characters are interesting, so for me, I think the game is going to be great.

If this flops Kojima will blame everyone but himeself, he will say people just didnt get it.

Ill pick it up to try it, but i dont think i will like this game based on footage and reading the latest about it. I dont really like exploration anymore in games. i need a clear cut goal.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Undoubtedly this is going to be decisive. My expectations are in check. I love the look of the landscapes but always thought “is this the gameplay?” And it turns out it sounds as if it is primarily walking......

I think it still looks very interesting and will be picking up.... just not quite sure at launch or slightly later. Have a busy November in work so can gladly wait to see reviews and how the community dismantles it.

Dane

It sounds as if Kojima forgot DS is a video game. After reading some of his recent interviews, I really get the impression that he wants people to experience something that a videogame, as a medium, is not very good at evoking.

All that stuff about wanting players to think more deeply about things such as one another's feelings, connection and letter theory, why other players placed objects in certain way in the game world, etc just feels as if he hoping for the kind of contemplative thought processes that don't mesh well with the medium he is using.

His ideas would be better expressed in a book or a film.

I reminds me of the Boss' Will actually.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can't really expect miracles from an 80 person team. What they accomplished I'm sure is still impressive.

Production value is high as per Kojima standards, but when it comes to variety in open world games it's just not happening without having hundreds of artists and asset creators.
That's 80 people with developed engine. 80 is plenty enough.

vpance

That's 80 people with developed engine. 80 is plenty enough.

Using a prebuilt engine definitely helped save a ton of time, but there's no substitute for artist manpower. All those big Ubi/Rockstar open world games we've grown used to have staff close to or over 1000 at certain points in development from outsourcing. So if critics are comparing DS to games like that I'm not surprised they're saying it's repetitive or empty.

So much is coming back as fake, trolling, or debunked. I'd take everything with a grain of salt. It's hysterical at this point though. It's almost feeling like it's just folks that are bored, hate Kojima, Sony, etc.
No it's not lol, here we go with the Kojima fanaticism.

No where is any of what's coming back being outed as fake, trolling or is in any way debunked. This game is appearing to be quite exactly what we've seen on the surface.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, I'm happy that some people don't like it. That shows it must be doing something right in a time where entertainment generally is so safe and formulaic.

That discord thing saying "I only got my gun 9 hours in" is emblematic of how stagnant things have gotten. This pillock is almost incredulous that SHOOTING STUFF isn't the focus of the game. It amuses me how people complain about the same-old, same-old, but reject anything that doesn't fit within their preconceived parameters of what a game is supposed to be, or more precisely what they expected it to be.

I'd also add that I'm entirely unsurprised that people who don't like Kojima's direction with this are the ones breaking the embargo to speak out about it. Its blatantly obvious that people who are into it would be far more respectful of the rules, so as to share the positive surprise that they had with others.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm happy that some people don't like it. That shows it must be doing something right in a time where entertainment generally is so safe and formulaic.

That discord thing saying "I only got my gun 9 hours in" is emblematic of how stagnant things have gotten. This pillock is almost incredulous that SHOOTING STUFF isn't the focus of the game. It amuses me how people complain about the same-old, same-old, but reject anything that doesn't fit within their preconceived parameters of what a game is supposed to be, or more precisely what they expected it to be.

I'd also add that I'm entirely unsurprised that people who don't like Kojima's direction with this are the ones breaking the embargo to speak out about it. Its blatantly obvious that people who are into it would be far more respectful of the rules, so as to share the positive surprise that they had with others.
Conflating different and/or strangeness to be inherently good is a bad way to look at things, and it's a bad look to try and discredit other people as not understanding something or that because it doesn't follow formulaic conventions that they're somehow wrong.

A lot of people have the game right now, street dates have been broken, it's circulating around. Where are the people with glowing positivity? Some must have the game right? Why are they not speaking? All I'm seeing are people trying to be concise, they're providing positive and negative feedback but their criticism largely seems to be rooted in negativity and they explain why in detail.

It's an open world game and you don't get a real weapon for nearly 9 hours, that's concerning because what in the hell are you doing then? What are your enemy encounters? Your world interactions? What do you do in between the cutscenes aside from meandering about this open world delivering packages and wasting a bunch of time on life mechanics like sleeping, peeing, bathing and the like?

There's reason to be concerned that the game is genuinely boring which has literally nothing to do with Kojima hate.

Last edited:
If this flops Kojima will blame everyone but himeself, he will say people just didnt get it.

Ill pick it up to try it, but i dont think i will like this game based on footage and reading the latest about it. I dont really like exploration anymore in games. i need a clear cut goal.

The only problem is, this will SELL , good or bad..it could be a major turd but it will move from shelves because Kojima name attached..plus insane amounts of commercial during my Nets and Knicks games, hype does wonders.

So the whole thing is pretty sad, it will be a garbage CGI movie, but it will sell.

Bryank75

Banned
The Sub-Reddit is bigger than TLOU2, Ghost and COD combined apparently.

We knew it wouldn't be for everyone, MGS2 was hated cause you weren't Snake, MGS4 was hated cause you were old and it got.... a little weird at points. But then people look back and say 'yeah, actually they were way ahead of their time'.

I think it's the same here. It looks incredibly interesting to me, the story, characters, the fact it's not just a shooty, bang-bang game!

We get too many shooters in gaming and it is almost punishable not to have a focus on weapons and killing in a game now... that is mentally unhealthy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Video Games need that separation from the single minded perspective. It’s like how paintings and art pieces get critiqued on a different scale. You have multiple interpretations of how something looks or how it’s blended in with other shapes. It isn’t always a first impression, it takes time to see what the artist has made. Video Games should also have that. I wouldn’t exactly trust a person’s early impressions of Death Stranding. I think there’s an experience there that you can’t get anywhere else.

MGS was the one game people loved to talk about, but wasn’t the game people went back to and played. It’s easy to see it stand in a room of giants, but there has to be some sorta persistence there. Something that they’re getting that we won’t. I’m not saying they aren’t qualified or didn’t play his earlier game(s). I’m saying that some of us will have a completely different experience than the person playing it for a review.

MiguelItUp

No it's not lol, here we go with the Kojima fanaticism.

No where is any of what's coming back being outed as fake, trolling or is in any way debunked. This game is appearing to be quite exactly what we've seen on the surface.
This has nothing to do with "Kojima fanticism", in fact that comment is wholeheartedly misdirected.

What I was trying to get across was a mere observation from the subreddit and a number of threads where things went from a "believable source" to "apparently" a troll, etc. on a number of things.

I think what can be agreed on right now is that, like everything, it may not be for everyone. Especially a Kojima game. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

A lot of people have the game right now, street dates have been broken, it's circulating around. Where are the people with glowing positivity? Some must have the game right? Why are they not speaking? All I'm seeing are people trying to be concise, they're providing positive and negative feedback but their criticism largely seems to be rooted in negativity and they explain why in detail.
I'm sure it's because of the NDA. I've been on the leaks like white on rice, so unless I'm looking in the right places I've seen the 4chan and Discord leaks, etc. I've seen more images and small videos other than folks giving their full on impressions. The small blurbs of text that I have seen had a bunch of people said they had "true" sources saying it wasn't honest. But, you know, internet. 🤷‍♂️

As with any piece of entertainment I will judge it myself. I don't need other people's impressions or reviews to do it for me. Though seeing positive reviews for anything you're interested in is always cool to see.

All I'm gonna do is hope that I enjoy it, or at least get what I wanted out of it. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Stuart360

If the game isnt 'all that', i hope for once Kojima fanboys will admit it. Of course they wont though, and i can already sense the 'its a masterpiece, and people just dont have the intelligence to understand it. They should go back to COD', etc.
Most reviews will proclaim it a masterpiece as well, simply down to how fanatical Kojima fanboys are (look at DSP).

Gamernyc78

Banned
If the game isnt 'all that', i hope for once Kojima fanboys will admit it. Of course they wont though, and i can already sense the 'its a masterpiece, and people just dont have the intelligence to understand it. They should go back to COD', etc.
Most reviews will proclaim it a masterpiece as well, simply down to how fanatical Kojima fanboys are (look at DSP).

Already propping your argument up and excuses I see lol 😁for when some of the reviews are good. Looking at the poster I'm not surprised 😂😂😂 like clockwork.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Conflating different and/or strangeness to be inherently good is a bad way to look at things, and it's a bad look to try and discredit other people as not understanding something or that because it doesn't follow formulaic conventions that they're somehow wrong.

So, unless everyone is agreement about something, it can't be right?

Different is good. Different is how creativity grows.

Without growth, all you have are variations on the same tried and tested formulae. Most people like vanilla, and why not its a perfectly pleasant, inoffensive flavor. But you eat nothing but vanilla long enough and you'll get bored of it, and start to hate its bland sameness.

It's an open world game and you don't get a real weapon for nearly 9 hours, that's concerning because what in the hell are you doing then? What are your enemy encounters? Your world interactions? What do you do in between the cutscenes aside from meandering about this open world delivering packages and wasting a bunch of time on life mechanics like sleeping, peeing, bathing and the like?

This is exactly my point. You just disregard that there could be any pleasure or interest or challenge in things that don't involve shooting things in the face. This reminds me of one of the Uncharted 4 threads recently where the entire basis of the negative argument was that the single player campaign wasn't a non-stop shooting game like the multiplayer.

Better example I guess is something like Nier, which mechanically speaking is a competent but hardly inspired action adventure, but everything else around it (the music, the story, concepts, etc) elevates it into being something extraordinary.

They aren't speaking because as I noted previously, there's an embargo in place and a courteous request was made not to spoil the surprise for other players. Maybe a half-dozen leakers out of doubtless hundreds or thousands of review copies out there isn't representative of anything.

Lastly as I said, I'm happy that some people don't like it. Noone* in the critical community loved Nier back in 2010, but they all fell over themselves praising the sequel for the EXACT SAME VIRTUES 7 years later. Its why Dark Souls is in everybody's top 10 greatest hits despite it basically rehashing Demon's Souls gameplay, with that game being relegated to a footnote in history.

What the majority think has no bearing on my personal judgement of what I find to be superior. Its hilarious to me that people these days are so hung up on Metacritic scores, and use them to demonstrate that polished mediocrities like the majority of superhero movies are great cinema, when I remember true classics like Blade Runner and The Thing getting savaged by the critics on their initial releases, oh, and tanking horribly at the box office proving that mass sensibilities are no more perspicacious than the critical establishment.

*I exaggerate. there was a single great review that got it.

Sweetloaf

Sounds like he wants people to experience things that they should generally experience in...you know, real life. I find it slightly patronising that he thinks we don't feel these things without his input.

...Apart from the bit about guns.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be honest, having read quite a few (non story) spoilers the game seems to be pretty much exactly as the trailers have represented it.

If that's off-putting to you, its probably not going to be something you'll enjoy. Personally I'm sufficiently intrigued by what the whole experience could be, to justify taking a punt on the game. Even if I'm not entirely onboard yet with the whole "strand-game" concept, I need to experience it in order to make an informed judgement.

That I'm not sure if its going to work for me or not, is a definite plus point in my book. Because I think that's the heart of the appeal of any new IP. I mean, on one hand the game I'm anticipating most for next year is Nioh 2, because I loved the original and the sequel looks like an iterated version of the same. To me that's a fine hook for a first sequel, but beyond that I feel like familiarity tends to hinder more than help. Dark Souls 3 while by no means a bad game, was such a rehash that its really lowered my expectations for the whole franchise and its derivatives going forward.

On the upside it means that Elden Ring may excite me more if it turns out to be true expansion of the Souls' formula, but I'd be a liar if I said it was on my top #3 most anticipated 2020 titles at this point.

Yoboman

BS

Kojima is absolutely self reflective of his games‘ receptions. It’s why he pretty much mocked Raiden in MGS3 and every bit of marketing for five years after MGS2

It’s why he went and created Subsistence with a whole new camera after a lot of people had issue with it in the original version of MGS3

Bryank75

Banned
Hmm so lots of deliveries for the first 40% or so and then it gets really wild and interesting, story is meant to be really really good. Much more tps action later in the game. Reminds me of RDR2 pace from what's being said.

Breakage

I'm still wondering how Homo Demens managed to make it through to the final game. I mean surely someone at Sony or KP must have realised that such a name would be an unlikely choice for a Western terror group.
The terror groups and SF units in the MGS universe had believable names: Next-Generation Special Forces, Dead Cell, Diamond Dogs, the Cobra Unit, etc.

But I just can't picture a Western terror group opting to call themselves the Homo Demens. Who would take them seriously with a name like that?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm still wondering how Homo Demens managed to make it through to the final game. I mean surely someone at Sony or KP must have realised that such a name would be an unlikely choice for a Western terror group.
The terror groups and SF units in the MGS universe had believable names: Next-Generation Special Forces, Dead Cell, Diamond Dogs, the Cobra Unit, etc.

But I just can't picture a Western terror group opting to call themselves the Homo Demens. Who would take them seriously with a name like that?
th

Last edited:

Audiophile

I like rich, immersive landscapes and atmoshpere, games that I can get lost in; this appears to be just that.

Being a Kojima title I expect the fundamental game mechanics to be tight, responsive and rewarding, even if in this instance, they end up being repetitive. I like the idea of a game centred around traversal and being a courier.

I love the idea of a "rope" game rather than a "stick" game. I also love that they collaborated with Guerrilla who shared their engine with them. Pushing for new ideas, with such conviction and determination -- even if polarising -- is important, especially with the industry being as stagnant and predatory as it has become in many areas.

For those reasons I'll pre-order -- in this case a special edition -- and show my support; hopefully I'll love it and if not, so be it.

Also, ladders, bitch...! =p

I'll be doing the same with Cyberpunk, CDPR have grown into an incredibly consumer friendly company and are pushing for quality and value wherever they can (just check out their standard edition of CP2077: ). They're also tackling grown-up subjects despite the ridiculous outrage shown elsewhere. They get my pre-order and my vote of confidence.

Audiophile

^^ Sorry for the shoddy formatting in my above post.

Didn't realise that NG auto-renders YouTube links, or that we can no longer edit posts. =s

Keihart

Y'all need to adjust your expectations... This isn't looking good.

DbeE9j6.png

"pacing is way off
Story is interesting, just too much gaps in between
if you don't play this game often you'll forget what happened before the next cutscene happens"
"DS is basically 1hr of cool shit
4hrs of delivering packages to npcs"

open world is more interesting than MGSV, but has the same drawbacks of open world -
"it's more interesting lol, mgs5 was so dead
hard to beat it"

"it's fun when you explore new land
but when the game asks you to drive back 5km just to deliver a package to a place you've been to before
you're like "fk off""

"all the safe houses look the exact same
they all have the exact same building you enter to connect
and all the resting places are 100% copy and paste the same in all of them"

"Minecraft has elements of hiding and taking shelter when it's dark
this has no day/night cycle which is a huge fail
but it has rain
when it rains you need to take shelter or it will damage your cargo"

"well i like exploring
and roleplaying, aka playing the game like i am really there"

"just know the start of the game is a bit of a chore at some times"

"it's not as good as RDR2 or God of War
but then again, it's a different game
it's focus is cooperation and exploration
if you are expecting third person stealth action MGS6
you're gonna want to refund"
Sounds great, i mean, it reads as if there really is a purpose to the game being "openworld" or "sandbox".
Good to know that getting a gun will be something of a milestone too, if enemies become trivial too soon the survival part of the game would lose all tension which i guess is what makes most of the moment to moment gameplay.

Top Bottom