• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding - November 8-2019

iHaunter

Got mine from Amazon
74-C0-CEEF-68-FE-4-C44-8-D1-F-046-C1-FDA6577.jpg

I didn't know it was going on sale so I saw it late. Was sold out for me.

mortal

Gold Member
h6jdxrm86m131.jpg

Some of you may have already noticed this. It becomes more apparent during that scene with Cliff emerging form the oil which is also nod to Apocalypse Now, knowing Kojima.
All of these war torn areas have consistently featured Cliff. :pie_thinking:

Fushitsusha

Banned
h6jdxrm86m131.jpg

Some of you may have already noticed this. It becomes more apparent during that scene with Cliff emerging form the oil which is also nod to Apocalypse Now, knowing Kojima.

Good observation. Seeing those pictures, a new military-themed game from Kojima that's not MGS would be sweet.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
h6jdxrm86m131.jpg

Third one is probably Gulf War and not Vietnam + Cliff and Higgs can travel between worlds and they’re the only ones capable of

Last edited:
I think we'll be playing throughout major events in USA/world history and we'll have to repair the severed connections of the past to change the future to save humanity from extinction. The actions we make in the game will have repercussions on other player's experiences and we'll have to repair and correct those actions by working together (meaning solving issues which other player's actions create in our own games) in some form to build these bridges.

Kind of something like Assassin's Creed's animus (the Bridge Babies) which allow them to connect to the past (those who are dead and have perished) and impact the past and learn about how those events have changed us as a species.

It of course is all a commentary on the world, and how we are divided and need to come together to solve the problems that we ourselves have created.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Third one is probably Gulf War and not Vietnam + Cliff and Higgs can travel between worlds and they’re the only ones capable of
The gear Cliff and those animated dead soldiers are wearing do seem to be more modern and more in line with the Gulf War period. Although that dense Jungle setting isn't screaming Gulf War to me. Maybe it's drawing from multiple inspirations?
Probably some 'limbo' concept.
Very likely. More like Hell, even. haha

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
The gear Cliff and those animated dead soldiers are wearing do seem to be more modern and more in line with the Gulf War period. Although that dense Jungle setting is screaming Gulf War to me. Maybe it's drawing from multiple inspirations?
Yes obviously since they’re travelling between world aka time travel

mortal

Gold Member
Yes obviously since they’re travelling between world aka time travel
Maybe there is a sort of instability, like things popping up where they ought not to be? The vestiges of the American landscape sure looks a lot like Iceland tbh lol. Or maybe UCA has been established elsewhere not in North America?

Last edited:

Fake

Very likely. More like Hell, even. haha
Dunno if Limbo and Hell are equal. I believe Limbo is a better term because the 'black/white' desaturated color tone and act more like a 'spiritual world'. Hell is not necessarily a 'death world', instead its a torture world for bad guys.
I remember Kojima saying if you're make some trouble in this 'death world' would have consequences for the living one (different endings?), my guess is because you, the live one, can't judge 'bad' or 'good' guys/spirits in this spiritual world unlike 'hell' in Doom 2016.
I mean, a 'rainbow' in the hell?

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
Dunno if Limbo and Hell are equal. I believe Limbo is a better term because the 'black/white' desaturated color tone and act more like a 'spiritual world'. Hell is not necessarily a 'death world', instead its a torture world for bad guys.
I remember Kojima saying if you're make some trouble in this 'death world' would have consequences for the living one (different endings?), my guess is because you, the live one, can't judge 'bad' or 'good' guys/spirits in this spiritual world unlike 'hell' in Doom 2016.

Cliff is a big deal in this limbo, no? Very reminiscent of The Sorrow.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Well I meant jokingly, Because of all the war and skeleton soldiers and viscera tanks.

longdi

Banned
Im thinking the void out-going into hades, will be like MGS alert phases, maybe just a bit longer.
I wonder how big the content will be for the WW1/2/Nam be.

One thing Kojipro always seem to be able to improve their next games, and not just make sequels that feel the samey with tweaks.

Mista

Banned
Maybe there is a sort of instability, like things popping up where they ought not to be? The vestiges of the American landscape sure looks a lot like Iceland tbh lol. Or maybe UCA has been established elsewhere not in North America?
There might be yes, due to some going back and forth between timelines. Might have ended up with not just them travelling, but other things from where they come from too.

Last edited:

taizuke

The pregnant lady in the photo is Lisa from P.T. lol

Now with all this talk about connections and people coming together I’d like to point out something. Don't know if it has been discussed already.

Remember in MGSV where Kojima had a hidden cinematic (a celebratory video of a world without nukes) if everyone who played the game disabled theirs? The video eventually made it’s way to YouTube but he intended for everyone to come together and get rid of their nukes in order to see it. Do you guys think he’s trying to do something similar with this game?

Mista

Banned
The pregnant lady in the photo is Lisa from P.T. lol

Now with all this talk about connections and people coming together I’d like to point out something. Don't know if it has been discussed already.

Remember in MGSV where Kojima had a hidden cinematic (a celebratory video of a world without nukes) if everyone who played the game disabled theirs? The video eventually made it’s way to YouTube but he intended for everyone to come together and get rid of their nukes in order to see it. Do you guys think he’s trying to do something similar with this game?
Yes and he already confirmed it himself and talked about the matter

Death Stranding will feature asynchronous online multiplayer, allowing players to help one another out without interference.

taizuke

Yes and he already confirmed it himself and talked about the matter

Death Stranding will feature asynchronous online multiplayer, allowing players to help one another out without interference.

Always felt like that idea in MGSV was impossible. So, it's kind of cool of him to try it here and base the game around it. As to how important and to what extent is the question.

Mista

Banned
Always felt like that idea in MGSV was impossible. So, it's kind of cool of him to try it here and base the game around it. As to how important and to what extent is the question.
Yes, I just love it when Kojima introduces smart interactions in his games. That has been there since MGS1 if you remember the whole Psycho Mantis and “close your console” encounters. At that time it blew my mind and still does today

SaucyJack

Yes. I understand that.

Why that is is what I don't comprehend.

You find it hard to comprehend why other people have a different opinion to you?

I respect your right to think poorly of Kojima and MGS, but the bizarre thing is that you’re actually the one with the minority view here. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Certainly the fight between Sam and those dudes didn't looked the best. Maybe there is some weird mechanics in the game universe that kind of explaing it? Yeah, wishful thinking.

Still, I think the game is going to be very atmospheric and narrative driven. The gameplay part of the WWI looked good, also.

Last edited:
You find it hard to comprehend why other people have a different opinion to you?

I respect your right to think poorly of Kojima and MGS, but the bizarre thing is that you’re actually the one with the minority view here. :messenger_neutral:

No, I find it hard to comprehend why people like his games, or see anything good in this one. It's legitimately baffling to me.

You said in an earlier post Hideo Kojima makes "very fun" games. There's your answer. Leave it at that.

No, that isn't what I said at all.

What I said is that he used to make some good games. Good games that still were terribly written nonsense, mind. Namely MGS1 and 3.

Everything else by him is extremely hit and miss, and I don't think he's made anything even passably decent since MGS3.

Last edited:
I've just seen the trailer. Can anyone explain to me what kind of game this is because I'm still non the wiser. Maybe even more confused after seeing the trailer.

Winter John

I guess it's about a Forest Gump type character with his handy set of ladders. When the player isn't wandering around hills they'll be asked to place their ladders against walls in various historical locations. It will be very exciting

Top Bottom