• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space review embargo?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We all saw what that did with Dante and DmC.

What, sold 3.8 million copies? It's such a none-issue. I love Dead Space and think the people complaining about his face are just looking for an excuse to moan. Isaac Clarke is every other white, brown haired dude (beard optional) 2000s action video game character, he's just a vehicle for the player.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game is already shipped and is on its way, at least I knew the reviews for Callisto before I got a shipping notification.
But people ripped on that game for it's late embargo.

Game is already shipped and is on its way, at least I knew the reviews for Callisto before I got a shipping notification.
But people ripped on that game for it's late embargo.
Callisto was a brand new game and people had zero point of reference into how it would be so wanting a early review made more sense for that game.

Dead Space is a remake, we have all basically played this already so the reviews aren’t that important.

Either way, I don’t get preordering. I don’t get buying a game before knowing how it is at launch especially when you consider how bad games launch nowadays, it’s not like the game is going to sell out but to each his own.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Callisto was a brand new game and people had zero point of reference into how it would be so wanting a early review made more sense for that game.

Dead Space is a remake, we have all basically played this already so the reviews aren’t that important.

Either way, I don’t get preordering. I don’t get buying a game before knowing how it is at launch especially when you consider how bad games launch nowadays, it’s not like the game is going to sell out but to each his own.
Convenience I guess, I add the games I'm interested in to a pre-order list and cancel them if I change my mind.
Gets shipped to me on release so I don't have to worry about release days or buying it when it releases etc.
It just there when I finish work.
Plus sometimes they have Steelbooks and I collect them so that's another reason to preorder.
If the game is barebones amaray release I sometimes wait for a price drop unless I really want to play it at launch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What, sold 3.8 million copies? It's such a none-issue. I love Dead Space and think the people complaining about his face are just looking for an excuse to moan. Isaac Clarke is every other white, brown haired dude (beard optional) 2000s action video game character, he's just a vehicle for the player.
We had 3 games with this guy. If this was a single action game from the 2000’s I’d be like ok. I’m not the person to sit here and protest. I’d play it like every other game. The whole vessel argument is a hard pill to swallow if they’ve already committed to a particular look. Going back to Infamous 2. Remember when they tried to change Cole’s look? Infamous had only 1 game at the time, 1. Yet the developer saw the outcry and changed it back. Yes, you can be a fan who doesn’t care. I’ve dealt with people who played games all day long, but they couldn’t stand having a discussion about them.

It’s not like I’m boycotting the game. I bought three copies of DmC over the years since it came out and I still hate his design. I think if you’re going to hire a group from the community, that they should consider these things. I’ll be playing this. I think his saving grace is his helmet. It’s a lot like the Rocketeer. Pretty soon you only associate the helmet on his head. Think back to the 13th Chapter of Dead Space 2. I associate a particular face with Isaac because of that gruesome scene if you fail at the objective.

I’m not going to say my point is above anyone else’s at this point. I’ll play it. I just think his face wasn’t bad to begin with.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Going back to Infamous 2. Remember when they tried to change Cole’s look? Infamous had only 1 game at the time, 1. Yet the developer saw the outcry and changed it back.

The ironic thing is that Cole's redesign made him look MORE like every other protag at the time. His buzzcut made him stand out and that's why people were annoyed, they grew his hair out and gave him more stubble.

I just can't imagine being annoyed about a character not looking like this:

DcHJhkAXkAUA8aj.jpg

Make Isaac an Asian with spiky hair and tattoos for all I care. He has all the personality of a door wedge and he's in a helmet for 99% of the game anyway.

But as you say, it shouldn't stop anyone from actually playing the game. I just found out my fiancé is away for 3 nights Sun-Tue so I just pre-ordered it, happy days!

BbMajor7th

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

I've heard that a million times. "Nothing wrong with having microtransactions in games, just dont buy them" and so on and so forth. None of you have answered me properly tho, why would you purchase a horror game and disable the horror aspects of it? Give me one good reason. Do you buy a platformer if you can disable the platforming?
Microtransactions aren't a reasonable comparison, this is more akin to accessibility settings - there if want them, at no cost, no issue if you don't. Honestly, I don't know what these settings do or how deep they go, but if we go with the unlikely assumption that they turn the game in Kirby's Dream Land Deep Space edition, then I wouldn't care a bit if the main game still played and functioned how it was advertised. If someone put out a platforming game with a 'no platforming toggle', I'd think "weird flex, but whatever" and if it was a good platforming game that I was excited to play, I cannot imagine any universe where that toggle would affect my enjoyment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom