• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remastered |OT| Souls Remastered

Gwyn is laughably easy if you parry him. Probably killed him under 2 minutes. I don't think I'm gonna endure a second round. I thought Dark Souls were gonna hold my attention for much longer. But it's clear as day, that this has not aged particularly well, and some aspects of it are just downright bad. Souls got better for each iteration, that's one thing for sure. Or maybe I've just played this damn game too much, lol. I need something new and fresh. Where is Code Vein when you need it?

Yep. He is pretty much like the first hollows you encounter up the hill at Fire-link Shrine if you parry him.

I still play 1 more than the others. I actually have some of my fondest moments of the series in 2 though. I know that is crazy talk to some but it was great with one of my best buds and me rolling through it coop. Also, I hope they bring 2 to the Switch.

peronmls

for Kalameet there's no summons almost never, why?
If you use the “Dried Finger” at the very bottom of your inventory, you may see more signs if not the refresh rate is faster. Alternatively you can used the miracle “Seek Guidance”. Doing all of this in front of Kalameets fog wall or Artorias’ fog wall.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Gwyn is laughably easy if you parry him. Probably killed him under 2 minutes. I don't think I'm gonna endure a second round. I thought Dark Souls were gonna hold my attention for much longer. But it's clear as day, that this has not aged particularly well, and some aspects of it are just downright bad. Souls got better for each iteration, that's one thing for sure. Or maybe I've just played this damn game too much, lol. I need something new and fresh. Where is Code Vein when you need it?

Honestly, seeing how you also played Bloodborne. I'd say you might just be Souls burned out. Haha seriously though. The game wasn't exactly remade. I'd say it isn't exactly an issue with it aging well. God knows there are classic games out there that didn't age well. Dark Souls is one of a kind because it opened our imagination to what can be done with the setting. It isn't exactly King's Field II we are talking about.

I haven't done a lot in NG+, but I also started playthroughs of a few Souls games again. I finished the games back when they came out and after 40+ hours of knowing where to go and what to do- it satisfies the Souls feeling for a while.

Demon Ruins is like an amusement park ride where you can see the man behind the curtain or through smoke and mirrors. But it's also fun to walk through if you ask me.

I see your point. Parrying can one shot some enemies, but we might not have parried their moves when we first played the game. It's taken time and now people know how to beat the game in multiple ways. I honestly think that knowing what's around the corner 24/7 can be a blessing and a curse. It's not like I disagree with what everyone is saying, but I feel like there is a definite reason to why this game got a remaster in the first place. So I hope some of you aren't too discouraged.

Ive beaten DS 1 and 3 without ever figuring out how to parry. Is there a place that teaches it?
Not in the game, but there's lots of videos out there. I rarely used it when the games were first released. All I really noticed were the knights/skeletons who would parry your attacks.

You'll have to practice and watch a few videos if you want to see it. You use your shield and press L2 or LT at the right moment and then walk up to them and attack.
^thats just a random video I found online.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Resistance is obviously the worst stat to invest in. What’s funny is that if it had included poise, it could have been one of the best.

I have to wonder how From came up with that stat and figured it would be useful.

Mr Hyde

I managed to beat the Four Kings on NG+ after a couple of tries. They were much harder than I remember, and I couldn´t beat them with my regular light gear that I´m using (Porcelain Mask, Dingy Robe, Wanderer Boots and Manchettes) so I had to "cheat" using Havels Armor. After that I killed them on my first try, just tanking the sons of bitches to death with Crystal Magic Weapon. I felt dirty afterwards, I fucking hate Havel´s Gear, it´s ugly as hell and clumsy and just complete bullshit. But what are you gonna do when the Kings gankspank you to oblivion? Anyway, Kaathe showed up and he didn´t give much information other than to retrieve the Lordvessel. I was hoping he would talk shit about Frampt, pulling out some laughs being the snake that he is, but no, he just continued to come in his own mouth bragging about the Darkwraiths and shit, I don´t know I wasn´t paying attention.

Well, I´m not gonna play more on PS4. I will wait until the Switch-version comes out. Yes, I´m such a fucking Souls-nerd that I bought a Switch (which was expensive as hell) for a game I already played to death. But Souls on the go is just too much of a sell for me, considering I travel a lot and forgot my Vita on a fucking plane somewhere in Turkey. It´s even a gimped version, but I don´t care, portability is the tits and if it runs in a steady 30 I will manage. Can´t wait busting out Dark Souls on the train, flight and bus and wreck some demons for an hour or two. Gonna be a sun bro this time around, thinking of doing a Garl Vinland cosplay rocking Leeroys Gear and hurling Sunlight Spears to the crack of dawn.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I wonder when news about the Switch version is gonna surface? It seems that Bamco and Nintendo is holding out on the game for the online service, because what is a better draw to a paid online service than a 7-year old game? But it would be nice with some transparancy, instead of keeping the lid closed all the way up to the release. I´m going on a trip in September to Ireland so my body is aching for some portable Souls. And why is Nintendo not sharing any news about their service? It is supposed to launch in a month. This whole situation is bonkers.

I also really, really hope that Bamco ports Scholar of the First Sin to Switch, that would be a dream come true. Just the mere thought of playing it on the go makes me happy. I read somewhere that Bamco is planning on taking the whole trilogy to Switch but that seems a little far fetched, I doubt that the Switch would be able to handle DS3 without some serious downgrade. But I would be in heaven if they did bring two on board. I guess the sales for DS Remastered is gonna decide the fate if there will be more Souls coming to Switch.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Any help about COOP with friend :

I am level 255 he is 17 , we used the password and golbal + unrestricted set up and same covenant and humans but we can not see each other signs....as far as I know password eliminated the level difference so ours should not be problem.

I am missing something.....thx in advance for any help.

Mr Hyde

I wonder why Nintendo haven´t updated their eshop with the new information about the release date? Diablo 3 got recognized in an instant, getting front page advertisement, but when it comes to Dark Souls it still says it´s planned release is 2018. Why no love for Souls Ninty?

Snoopycat

Banned
I keep thinking about buying this but I don't know if I can be arsed going through it again. I played it endlessly when it first come out and I was all set to buy the remaster until I played the beta. The rose tainted glasses fell off a little and I start remembering all the shit you have to slog through to get to the good parts. It still piss me off that you have to beat the 4 kings to get Witch Beatrice's set which is the best in the game.

Greedings

I'll definitely bite when it comes to Switch. Having the sleep mode will just make the game perfect. There's no way in hell I can playing for long chunks of time any more, so that makes the whole thing re-playable for me.

Bring on October!

Alebrije

I keep thinking about buying this but I don't know if I can be arsed going through it again. I played it endlessly when it first come out and I was all set to buy the remaster until I played the beta. The rose tainted glasses fell off a little and I start remembering all the shit you have to slog through to get to the good parts. It still piss me off that you have to beat the 4 kings to get Witch Beatrice's set which is the best in the game.

Guess you played 2 and 3 , but if not this could better :

dark-souls-trilogy-announced.jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...trilogy-collection-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-one

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'll definitely bite when it comes to Switch. Having the sleep mode will just make the game perfect. There's no way in hell I can playing for long chunks of time any more, so that makes the whole thing re-playable for me.

Bring on October!

Have they mentioned sleepmode? You can't pause the game due to the online aspect of the game. Is sleepmode something that will only work in offline mode or at a bonfire?

Greedings

Have they mentioned sleepmode? You can't pause the game due to the online aspect of the game. Is sleepmode something that will only work in offline mode or at a bonfire?

I don't know actually. I would just play in offline anyway - not going to pay for the online access. I haven't used my Switch online since I bought it at launch.
I hope it effectively functions as a pause, that would make the game playable for me nowadays.

Snoopycat

Banned
I noticed the Remaster was on sale for about £20 yesterday so I end up buying it. Went up to the 2nd bonfire and I noticed I'm playing like a mouse. I don't know why. I used to charge around like a pirate banging on them Black Knights, but yesterday I was inching my way up the map. I tried the ole trick of getting the first knight to chase me to the ladders, then stand and throw bombs at him but I slipped and fell off the roof, he was all over me in a minute.

Ar¢tos

The game has pause, it always had, but gamers need something to cry about all the time.
Pause: Menu - > Quit
Unpause: "press any button" - > Continue or Load
Yes, it requires 2 button presses instead of one, another reason for pages and pages of online cries since the game first released.

Mr Hyde

Took down Gwyn a second time for the second ending. For an end boss he is so anticlimactic. For all the lore and build up and we get this? Why doesn´t he hurl lightning bolts like in the opening sequence? Why is there no cut scene to introduce him? Why does he sucks so much ass? Here is why.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
The game has pause, it always had, but gamers need something to cry about all the time.
Pause: Menu - > Quit
Unpause: "press any button" - > Continue or Load
Yes, it requires 2 button presses instead of one, another reason for pages and pages of online cries since the game first released.
There are safe areas where you can not be invaded

Demons souls-nexus
dark souls 1 main bonfire
dark souls 2-majula
Blood borne-stay at dream with gehrman and doll
Dark souls 3-Firelink Shrine

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Hello,

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on January 20, 2018 (Order# 113-7857-1033). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

"Dark Souls: Remastered - Nintendo Switch"
Previous estimated arrival date: December 28, 2018
New estimated arrival date: October 19, 2018

amazon is trolling me.

Mr Hyde

Blightown on Switch. Docked and handheld. Seems to run just fine. No framedrops what I could see. Looks to be a solid port.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
got an alert this morning from Amazon, looks like they are about to ship the Switch game.

played 61 hours of the Steam remaster but am looking forward to another excuse to play this wonderful game all over again.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I´m getting my copy on friday, gonna be helluva sweet to go through Lordran once again. Gearing up for a sunbro paladin to help out all the newcomers.

Mr Hyde

Just got a mail from the place I ordered my copy from, saying I won´t get my game tomorrow because of "product delayment". They blame it on the distributor and Bamco, saying they will work harder (with the distributor) in the future to avoid these kinda delayments. This is the first time I´ve ever recieved a mail like this. I´ve bought games from this shop in well over a decade and never had any issues with them. This sounds fishy, like Bamco not sending out enough copies to retailers. Damn, was looking forward to play it tomorrow so much.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im super excited for this. supposedly i get it tomorrow but we'll see. i want to just play through but i also want to maybe try a run i've never tried before. is SL1 completely insane? i feel like i could probably do alright as long as i can level up my weapons.

are there any really cool weapons that get looked over? i haven't really done many dex runs, maybe there is something i've been missing. i've never really done a faith run, anything cool there? im planning on pyro no matter what ;-)

Ulysses 31

Seems like the switch version is based on the non remastered build? Less light effects and no foliage wind sways etc.

Not that I care, I like the armor shine more on the switch version. :p

kevm3

Sadly enough, I found the PS3 version the best looking out of those 3. The switch version looks a bit washed out and on PS4, there are more details, but the armor looks dull and like it's made out of plastic.

Mr Hyde

I´m pretty fucking salty that I didn´t recieve my copy today. It´s shit like this that makes me wanna go full digital. Unfortunately, I´m not too confident in Nintendos account system to do that so I stick to physicals most of the times. I have some serious withdrawal now, lol. Luckily I have Ys 8 to comfort me in these difficult times.

Iaterain

It isn't really a remaster, more like an update/patch.
The only selling point - it is a great game.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Playing this now, docked, and it looks and plays great. Audio is def spotty, the intro was mostly nice but the narrator’s “s”’s don’t come through. Not a game breaker for me as the game looks great

Mr Hyde

Been playing a couple of hours now on Switch and so far it´s a great port. The game really shines in handheld mode with nice graphics and a rocksolid framerate. Just completed Lower Undead Burg and it was no hiccups at all. When I played it on the PS3 the framerate was down to single digits. In docked mode, it´s equally great but on the big TV it definitely shows the age of this game, at least graphically. Luckily the game is timeless so it really doesn´t matter. Doing a Garl Vinland cosplay so I´m mainly eying Leeroys gear. In my last playthrough I was a battlemage wielding the Moonlight Greatsword and the Tracers, but now it´s all about being a paladin and throw lightning bolts. Actually, I don´t think I´ve done a str-fth build on the first Dark Souls, it´s only in the latter games that I´ve done it. Here it seems like a OP build but it kinda was in 2 and 3 also.

Pejo

Keeping an eye on impressions for the Switch version. Would have been a no-question buy if not for Switch Online being a thing. I bet Undead Burg is a blast right now for invasions.

hecatomb

Banned
for Kalameet there's no summons almost never, why?
cause the fight isn't fun, then you have people who are tying to cut off the tail, and if the summon doesn't, they can black crystal you. Or DC, cause you aren't helping them cut off the tail.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Handheld mode is fan - fucking - tastic. Having this game on the go is the biggest gaming revolution in the past 20 years. Let´s just grasp this for a moment. Dark Souls. On the go. Wow. Portable gaming has come a long way since Game & Watch, lol. Just cleared out Darkroot Garden. Killed the butterfly (with some help from Beatrice) and buffed up Astora´s Straight Sword. It´s a good weapon early on but the scaling is shit and I will soon need some better gear. Thinking of Divining the Flamberge, that´s one of my favourite weapons in the game but I don´t really know if it´s good for a strength build. Probably terrible.

One thing I´ve noticed with the Switch-version is that the game doesn´t pause in suspend mode. It only pauses when you put it to sleep mode. I thought the former worked, so I suspended the game during the boss fight with the Gargoyles. But when I came back Solaire had finished them both off and there I stood wondering what the hell just happened. When playing in online mode you get kicked out of the game if you enter sleep mode so when I´m playing on the go it´s all in on the offline mode. Online has to be back home.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
handheld really is a miracle. the game looks soooo good on that screen. damn.

what a great game to play in fits and starts as well. i've got a 30-45 min commute on the bus, i can knock out a boss fight, or explore, whatever. 15 minutes to spare? perfect for grinding souls.

i've been doing a dex run. usually i favor str but im loving the halberd too mch.

hecatomb

Banned
halberd is maybe one of the hardest weapons to use, while spears are a lot easier to use. Along with rapiers and katanas.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i like it cos R1 is a straight ahead attack w a lot of reach and R2 swings it around for crowd control.

what do you recommend for dex weapons? are there any specific cool ones that get overlooked? would be nice to see some cool overlooked movesets.

want to try and get the Moonlight Greatsword this time. ive played all the Souls games multiple times and have never gotten that weapon.

hecatomb

Banned
the best dex weapons are, spears like the winged spear, and demons spear has the longest reach in the game. The katanas like the Uchigatana, are all pretty good since they all have bleed with them. And almost everything can bleed, even some bosses. Spears are really easy cause you just need a shield and spear. Or Estoc. Since you can block and attack with spears and rapiers.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I have a lightning halberd and it works wonders.

But frankly I can practically go through a whole playthrough with just the gravelord greatsword

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ended up killing the Undead Merchant to get the Uchigatana, which i've never really used before. it's nothing flashy but it's super fast and hits hard. already leveled it up to +10 as well.

i took a long diversion down to Blighttown to farm the leeches for titanite. this is my favorite part of the game, when you don't have fast travel, and you have to plan out your routes, and you are passing through areas with ease thanks to the incredible world design. from Blighttown there are like 4 exits branching off into multiple areas & shortcuts i could take to my destination. the whole world is kind of a spiral, made of other spirals, all interconnected, or something. it's a masterpiece of level design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom