• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remastered |OT| Souls Remastered

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
dark-souls-remastered_2_1.jpg

Updated_forum.jpg

usethisone.jpg

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/games/ds-remastered

Added Features
  • The maximum number of players online has increased from four to six.
  • Password Matchmaking is now available, similar to Dark Souls III. When a player is summoned in Password Matchmaking the player level will be synced.
  • Healing items will not be available during PvP with the exception of Estus Flasks. To prevent long and drawn out battles, the number of Estus Flasks is halved for phantoms.
  • Players can no longer summon ally phantoms consecutively when in combat with enemy phantoms.
  • Players can select the number of usable items, such as consumable souls or covenant items, to use instead of one at a time as in the original game.
  • A Bonfire has been added next to Vamos the Blacksmith.
  • Covenants can be switched at Bonfires.
  • Button configuration is available.
  • Items will not automatically be registered into an item slot when picked up.
  • The online network has been changed from P2P to dedicated servers.
https://www.destructoid.com/dark-souls-remastered-has-some-interesting-changes-497149.phtml

Launch Trailer

Screenshots:
enemy1.jpg

enemy2.jpg

UPDATE:
Release date for the switch - Oct. 19th

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

Thanks for the OT.

Question for you DS1 masters. I only played (and finished) The original Dark Souls on ps3. Would this game be worth it to me?

I enjoyed what I played of the original even with all the warts and frame rate issues. How’s the DLC as well? Worth admission?

Dimorphic

I’ve never played a Souls game but have always been interested in jumping in. So is this remaster the best place to start?

Dr. Buni

I’ve never played a Souls game but have always been interested in jumping in. So is this remaster the best place to start?
If you don't have a PS3 to start with the original Souls title, Demon's Souls (which is not related to Dark Souls in terms of story, just for the sake of information), I would say yes. Dark Souls is the perfect way to start.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Certainly. Some say its the best of the series. I agree about the PS3 and Demon's Souls. I had Demon's Souls at launch and Dark Souls was a perfect fit. It felt like I had restarted my adventure into this new playstyle. I have talked to a few people who started at Dark Souls. It's an excellent game.

You sometimes have to be careful with Remasters and HD versions because often times they edit certain aspects that the creators might frown upon. I'm not 100% sure what issues there are with this, but I had a blast tonight playing the Remastered version.

2AdEPT

I suggest playing this title now, as the online aspect is going to be hottest right now. I am surprised there is little mention of the online aspect with regard to which title tonplay when, but obviously it's when there are more people doing it. I suspect the next three months or so will be hot after which it will trAil off. But do play Demons' souls as well...fabulous first title of the souls franchise and still reigns in many ways as the best as FROM always wanted change...some things didn't need changing and other things did.

Codes 208

I was hoping theyd make movement more like 3, but dodging still feels clunky af.

I also miss fast traveling on a dime via the bonfires

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned
Game has been amazing so far on PC. No crashes, solid 60 FPS at 4k. Feels great to play this game. Tons of people summoning. On that note, time to jump back in.

Vawn

Banned
As much as I'm looking forward to playing Dark Souls again, I am holding off to see how the Switch version compares. If it's close, I'll get it there to experience it in a new way. But, if it's a night and day difference, I'll end up picking it up on PS4.

sublimit

Banned
I'll be getting it on Tuesday. Looking forward to return to Lordran but I'm not looking forward for the backstab fest that is it's PvP. Wish it had a ring that protected you from backstabs like DS2 had. But then it would also need to have more ring slots.

120v

just picked it up for PC... not really sure why i did as i'm not into the online stuff and already have prepare to die

did a quick run through the 'burg on my mid range laptop. ran solid at 1080 with a few weird hiccups, seems to look and run better than dsfix'd but nothing outright improved. i'll play in 4k on my desktop tonight

feeling a little burned out of $20 but it was expected. no way i wasn't going to buy a "dark souls remaster" so i had to get it over with

solid mike

As someone who played the original on PS3, this remaster is just such a treat on PC. 1080p, 60fps is all I could ever ask for. It does make me wonder if all the fps drops experienced in Blighttown back then added to the memorability of the game.

kyubajin

As someone who played the original on PS3, this remaster is just such a treat on PC. 1080p, 60fps is all I could ever ask for. It does make me wonder if all the fps drops experienced in Blighttown back then added to the memorability of the game.
I wonder the same, the oppressive nature of Blightown was only accentuated thanks to the almost unplayable framerate which made the atmosphere and overall experience that much bleaker.

Last edited:

The Shepard

Brought this Friday, my first dark souls I've committed to and absolutely loving it. Just done anor Londo. Completed bloodborne and nioh so not a completely new to how these games work but they have become a favourite genre.

I'm a bit gutted that dark souls 3 and 2 servers will be empty when I get to them because I'm lttp. If anyone wants to jump on them at some point let know. I already own 3 but never played it past the first boss as I didn't like the camera but will give it another go after this, is 2 worth playing first?

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Question for the Dark Souls vets with better memory than me...did enemies always ignore summoned players? I helped a friend and a few randoms with a boss and it completely ignored me and just attacked the host . The only time I got hit was if I walked into the line of fire. I really can't remember ..

Also does enemy placement and behavior seem kind of...odd? For instance , there is a hollow when you first reach the Undead Parish via the drake bridge would run from you ...in the original he would lead you into a pincer attack trap ..in the remaster they are in different positions..Maybe I'm just remembering wrong ...it has been a while

Vawn

Banned
Question for the Dark Souls vets with better memory than me...did enemies always ignore summoned players? I helped a friend and a few randoms with a boss and it completely ignored me and just attacked the host . The only time I got hit was if I walked into the line of fire. I really can't remember ..

Also does enemy placement and behavior seem kind of...odd? For instance , there is a hollow when you first reach the Undead Parish via the drake bridge would run from you ...in the original he would lead you into a pincer attack trap ..in the remaster they are in different positions..Maybe I'm just remembering wrong ...it has been a while

I don't remember if it did in DS1, but it definitely worked like that in DS3

xviper

is there a glitch to duplicate items ?? i would love to duplicate my cracked red eye orbs, i missed up the Darkwraiths covenant by placing the lordvessel before killing Four kings and now i can't obtain the Red eye orb

Ar¢tos

I'm a bit gutted that dark souls 3 and 2 servers will be empty when I get to them because I'm lttp. If anyone wants to jump on them at some point let know. I already own 3 but never played it past the first boss as I didn't like the camera but will give it another go after this, is 2 worth playing first?
Errr 2 is... OK...
It's enjoyable but deeply flawed. It has MANY issues, some really annoying, others just stupid.
Level design and enemy placement are bad, weapon durability is a joke, Soul Memory killed co-op builds, many enemies have infinite stamina and/or poise, lore is messy, they kept adding stuff with the DLCs to "fix" the lore. There are only 55 lacerating arrows in the game because they forgot to add them to the stock of any NPC vendor (15 + 40 as loot), this really annoyed me. The only way to get covenant spells offline is by going to ng++, and many other small things that takeaway chips of the fun from the game.

Veggy

Brought this Friday, my first dark souls I've committed to and absolutely loving it. Just done anor Londo. Completed bloodborne and nioh so not a completely new to how these games work but they have become a favourite genre.

I've been on DS3 a lot the past week, the servers are still pretty active even with the Remaster having been out since Thursday

The Shepard

Errr 2 is... OK...
It's enjoyable but deeply flawed. It has MANY issues, some really annoying, others just stupid.
Level design and enemy placement are bad, weapon durability is a joke, Soul Memory killed co-op builds, many enemies have infinite stamina and/or poise, lore is messy, they kept adding stuff with the DLCs to "fix" the lore. There are only 55 lacerating arrows in the game because they forgot to add them to the stock of any NPC vendor (15 + 40 as loot), this really annoyed me. The only way to get covenant spells offline is by going to ng++, and many other small things that takeaway chips of the fun from the game.

I've been on DS3 a lot the past week, the servers are still pretty active even with the Remaster having been out since Thursday

Yea I think I'm going straight to 3 after the remaster whilst the servers are lively. I've seen more negativity towards 2 then any other dark souls games so that one can wait till I see it on sale.

Orpheum

I really want to dive back in...it's one of my favorite games of all time. Don't have any time on my hands at the moment though :(

Codes 208

Im playing on a base xbox one and blighttown is running fairly smoothly. There have been some spots ive noticed tearing like lower undead burg just before the capra demon fight. And the framerate kinda lags in a weird way during the fight with Sif the grey wolf.

That aside im noticing some small technical issues like while backing up against an opponent ill randomly slow down and of course rolling isnt as precise as 3's.

The framerate being a smooth 60fps overall and the 1080p resolution does make it a looker compared to 3's 900p on xbo. But overall i still prefer the more fluid gameplay mechanics of 3. One of my friends already gave up on 1 and went back to 3 because of similar issues.

On top of that, this feels more like an up-port of 1 than a full fledged remaster. I had played ds1 back when i had my x and framerate aside i dont really notice that big of a difference in mechanics, graphics or gameplay. Though its certainly not as half-assed as DS2:SotFS was when it was remastered on xbo...

Last edited:
I really want info on the Switch version. I was really disappointed that it wasn't coming out at the same time as the others. Being able to play Dark Souls on the go is a big plus for me. Otherwise, better graphics isn't a big deal for me.

kyubajin

I really want info on the Switch version. I was really disappointed that it wasn't coming out at the same time as the others. Being able to play Dark Souls on the go is a big plus for me. Otherwise, better graphics isn't a big deal for me.
It’s not the graphics, it’s locked 60 FPS that matters, not for the switch unfortunately.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Was the theme that came with this decent? Gutted I missed it as the Dark Souls 3 pre-order theme was really good.

Just Demon Souls left to go. Happy with a simple port.

sublimit

Banned
Do we have any sales numbers yet? I'm curious to see how much it sold on each platform and I'm even more curious to see how it will sell on Switch.

Veggy

But overall i still prefer the more fluid gameplay mechanics of 3. One of my friends already gave up on 1 and went back to 3 because of similar issues.

I did the same, after about 3 hours of DSR I just jumped back into 3 and sunk 30+ hours already on a new character. Honestly I don't think DS1 has aged very well, especially after the much smoother and more fluid combat systems of 3 and Bloodborne. I also have issues with how lackluster this "Remaster" is for the price tag if you owned Prepare To Die on PC (with mods), the graphics and lighting are all over the place and some places look far worse than before , we basically got charged £17.50 for what exactly? A few more people in PvP matchmaking? An extra bonfire?

Still fun to see new players struggling on stream though :D

Last edited:

Alebrije

Hope Sony release some Demons Soouls Remaster or Remake since it’s the only left to be ported and it seems Souls remasters have had financial success

It’s not the graphics, it’s locked 60 FPS that matters, not for the switch unfortunately.

I have a PC. At best the 60 fps are probably better than dsfix solution, but not really a huge thing. Switch has other merits, like playing Dark Souls anywhere, so I don't need 60 fps.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Onthe PC review they added some more details present in the remastered edition: more graphics tweaks, improvements, etc... (that are also on the console editions). Improved motion blur, parallax offset mapping, added specular maps, subsurface scattering shaders added for skin, etc...

The Shepard

I'm thinking of starting another class to play when a friend is on. I've played a warrior, archer and wanderer before I setteled on the warrior and I'm quite far with him now. An archer class would have been excellent if done right but feels to clunky firing arrows. Which magic class would you recommend to start a new game on? What's the best spells? Is the healer any useful? What wepon is best for the mage?

Codes 208

Onthe PC review they added some more details present in the remastered edition: more graphics tweaks, improvements, etc... (that are also on the console editions). Improved motion blur, parallax offset mapping, added specular maps, subsurface scattering shaders added for skin, etc...

Im still not impressed. It just feels like a straight up port at 60fps with some minor tweaks to light, reflections and blurring.

I imagine the switch version at 30fps is going to feel that much more like a port.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Im still not impressed. It just feels like a straight up port at 60fps with some minor tweaks to light, reflections and blurring.

I imagine the switch version at 30fps is going to feel that much more like a port.

Especially on PC, but on consoles too, I am not sure what you were expecting for £20-30 though.

Especially with the framerate and the optimisation on multi core systems, the game went from bringing relatively powerful PC’s to sub 20 FPS in areas to a locked 60 FPS which possibly was helped by the engine change (which makes it more complex in some ways not less to do), but it is also unfair to take that change, the resolution increase, and all the graphical changes they made (lighting included) and swath them away as “just” a straight up port. I think they may have been able to invest even more resources into it, but the world is not just Bluepoint level remasters and Silent Hill HD crappy collections with nothing in between, I think people are a little bit unfair in this case.

The burden for this title is a lot lot higher at this price point than on other remasters like TF which costs almost 2x as much as this title.

Thanks for the OT.

Question for you DS1 masters. I only played (and finished) The original Dark Souls on ps3. Would this game be worth it to me?

I enjoyed what I played of the original even with all the warts and frame rate issues. How’s the DLC as well? Worth admission?
you would get the DLC, locked 60 and increased resolution with some updated lighting, vfx and some smaller stuff (not world changing), MP is actually usable so if you want coop or PVP this is essentially a must buy. Other than that no unless you just want to play thru it again

Ar¢tos

Especially on PC, but on consoles too, I am not sure what you were expecting for £20-30 though.

Especially with the framerate and the optimisation on multi core systems, the game went from bringing relatively powerful PC’s to sub 20 FPS in areas to a locked 60 FPS which possibly was helped by the engine change (which makes it more complex in some ways not less to do), but it is also unfair to take that change, the resolution increase, and all the graphical changes they made (lighting included) and swath them away as “just” a straight up port. I think they may have been able to invest even more resources into it, but the world is not just Bluepoint level remasters and Silent Hill HD crappy collections with nothing in between, I think people are a little bit unfair in this case.

The burden for this title is a lot lot higher at this price point than on other remasters like TF which costs almost 2x as much as this title.
40$ doesn't justify the work they have done. This is a 20$ remaster milking the Souls hype. There was a lot more work on SotC and crash for the same price. For 40$ they couldn't fix the halberd moveset? Or the chain backstabbing? Or do changes to the save files to prevent editing? The pc version is ruined by hackers, and soon the console versions will be too, like last gen. The point of a remaster is not just to improve graphics, but also to fix bugs.
Even f*cking Lego Harry Potter Collection had its bugs fixed! And lego games are known for being buggy and crashes.

Virex

Banned
Thanks of the OT! If anyone is looking for some jolly co-op. You can add me on PSN : IkariX

Last edited:

Codes 208

Im fairly certain that games like gears of war, halo ce, ratchet and clank, crash trilogy and the upcoming spyro games were remastered at less than full price.

And yes, with modern technology i do expect more than just a more optimized title. Imagine if crytek remade crysis 1 and it still chugged into the 20's on 1080's. The gaming world would be pissed.

And like coldtoffee said, it still has plenty of gamebreaking bugs and it still plays like a 2011 game despite the many types of balancing or movement fluidity that were retooled in its sequels. Like omni-directional dodging in 3

Pejo

Ok guys, I'd like to talk about this weapon level matchmaking they've implemented. I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday. I was having a jolly ol' time helping people through various levels and bosses as a sunbro, when I accidentally happened into some Large Titanite shards while killing some goo monsters waiting for me to get summoned in the Depths. Upgraded my Balder Side Sword to +10 for faster killing potential, then all of a sudden it's like I got softbanned for the online or something.

I had purposely kept my levels low so I could maximize my helpfulness (and soul farming) abilities, so I had gone through over half the game as level 17. Surely there couldn't be soul memory in this game, I thought. I looked online thinking that there might be some outage issue, but what did I find? They now group co-op and invading based on the highest "level" of weapon you have. In some cases, this is done completely without the player realizing it too. Lucked into a Black Knight weapon drop? Pick up that lightning spear? BAM - you now are in the +6 category. Level a weapon to +10? Forget ever playing with noobs again.

While I understand the draw, to keep twinks from annihilating new players, this has absolutely taken the wind out of my sails. I'm really pissed that they did this and didn't explicitly put this in as a message in the game for returning players. Dark Souls 1 was the last game that I felt had really good multiplayer, but now it's completely ruined with having more host summons and now this bullshit. And I don't even invade players, but I still understand the value of actually feeling danger when you did get invaded. Now it's more Dark Souls 3 gank fests, and this weapon change is ridiculous.

I did find options in the "Network Settings" to turn off "restricted" but it hasn't seem to change anything with the online, also changed my location to Global, again no effect.

Any of you guys have an opinion about this?

Played the first parts before leaving for vacation but what I played (thief) was as the best responsive and looking Dark Souls experience I’ve had. XoneX version on a 65” 1080p sharp tv.

Played the first parts before leaving for vacation but what I played (thief) was as the best responsive and looking Dark Souls experience I’ve had. XoneX version on a 65” 1080p sharp tv.

The mechanics alone make it less responsive than 2 and 3 regardless of FPS. DS3 on PC is about as good as it gets for the various souls series games.

Ar¢tos

Ok guys, I'd like to talk about this weapon level matchmaking they've implemented. I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday. I was having a jolly ol' time helping people through various levels and bosses as a sunbro, when I accidentally happened into some Large Titanite shards while killing some goo monsters waiting for me to get summoned in the Depths. Upgraded my Balder Side Sword to +10 for faster killing potential, then all of a sudden it's like I got softbanned for the online or something.

I had purposely kept my levels low so I could maximize my helpfulness (and soul farming) abilities, so I had gone through over half the game as level 17. Surely there couldn't be soul memory in this game, I thought. I looked online thinking that there might be some outage issue, but what did I find? They now group co-op and invading based on the highest "level" of weapon you have. In some cases, this is done completely without the player realizing it too. Lucked into a Black Knight weapon drop? Pick up that lightning spear? BAM - you now are in the +6 category. Level a weapon to +10? Forget ever playing with noobs again.

While I understand the draw, to keep twinks from annihilating new players, this has absolutely taken the wind out of my sails. I'm really pissed that they did this and didn't explicitly put this in as a message in the game for returning players. Dark Souls 1 was the last game that I felt had really good multiplayer, but now it's completely ruined with having more host summons and now this bullshit. And I don't even invade players, but I still understand the value of actually feeling danger when you did get invaded. Now it's more Dark Souls 3 gank fests, and this weapon change is ridiculous.

I did find options in the "Network Settings" to turn off "restricted" but it hasn't seem to change anything with the online, also changed my location to Global, again no effect.

Any of you guys have an opinion about this?
Level that char up to a level that matches the upgrade range, because co-op with noobs with that one is gone out of the window. Character planning now is like Dks3 basically (lvl up to 20, wep up to +2-+4, lvl up to 40, wep to +4-+6, etc)(taking into account the level equivalence of special weps). Low lvl player base (burg/parish) becomes split in 2, the ones that got Drake Sword (+5-+7 wep range) and those that didn't (wep +0 - +5), plus character level range (lvl + 10 + 10% / lvl - 10 - 10%).

Pejo

Level that char up to a level that matches the upgrade range, because co-op with noobs with that one is gone out of the window. Character planning now is like Dks3 basically (lvl up to 20, wep up to +2-+4, lvl up to 40, wep to +4-+6, etc)(taking into account the level equivalence of special weps). Low lvl player base (burg/parish) becomes split in 2, the ones that got Drake Sword (+5-+7 wep range) and those that didn't (wep +0 - +5), plus character level range (lvl + 10 + 10% / lvl - 10 - 10%).
Yea, I guess I'll go level up a bit and try to help out at Quelaag. Just a really shitty design decision.

What does the Unrestricted online setting do anyways? In theory, I was hoping this meant that it disregarded the player/weapon levels, but then I realized it's ON by default so probably not many players even think to disable it (if they'd want to in the first place). Is that even the intended purpose of the setting?

Top Bottom