• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remastered |OT| Souls Remastered

Lesleyy

Neo Member
It's funny. I've been playing Dark Souls on and off ever since it first came out. Years! And you know what? I always get fucked over in the Depths with getting cursed + poison. Then I get lost and aaaaah.

I can literally do Blight Town easily. But the depths always manages to screw me. Anyone else with their most hated area?

I remember getting cursed for the first time. Was a journey and a half to scrape souls together and cure it.

I wonder if I should play the remaster. I love Dark Souls 1, but I kinda feel like I've played it too many times already/I won't really experience anything new.

Edit:
Now that I'm thinking about it; a low level run would probably be the most fun thing to do :eek:

Last edited:

Yumi

It's funny. I've been playing Dark Souls on and off ever since it first came out. Years! And you know what? I always get fucked over in the Depths with getting cursed + poison. Then I get lost and aaaaah.

I can literally do Blight Town easily. But the depths always manages to screw me. Anyone else with their most hated area?
I always skip that part of the depths where. it only has that ring that gives you health for defeating enemies I believe. But the handful of times I have gone down there I never had too much trouble.

My depths run is to get large ember, fall in the pit behind butcher, kill big rat, slide underneath waterfall, kill gaping dragon, then bone out :D

New Londo has always given me trouble and is my least favorite. More specifically, before you "change" the level.

Yumi

I'm trying to avoid guides.... But I literally have no idea how, or when, to access it.
It depends on how much time you have on yout hands, even then it's pretty elusive. If you want help at some point i can give you a vague idea how to access it without spoiling too much.

Trogdor1123

It depends on how much time you have on yout hands, even then it's pretty elusive. If you want help at some point i can give you a vague idea how to access it without spoiling too much.
Just a hint maybe to start if you could.

I'd appreciate it

Yumi

Something holds a princess hostage that shares the same lake as a multi headed serpent. She then lose an item precious to her by a similar being guarding the entrance to the highest castle. Its up to you wether or not you wish to return the item to her.

Trogdor1123

Something holds a princess hostage that shares the same lake as a multi headed serpent. She then lose an item precious to her by a similar being guarding the entrance to the highest castle. Its up to you wether or not you wish to return the item to her.
Got it,. I think lol

Trogdor1123

Yep, I did. That stupid hydra is actually a joke. I should go to ash lake now that I think about it. I got into the dukes archives and it is super fun. Haven't figured out how to get big hat out of the cage yet though.

I'm also leveling strength to try the zweihander!

I didn't mind it during my first few playthroughs. But goddamn, running back and forth between a bonfire and where the channeler spawns for 10 hours will grate on anyone. Probably not as bad as getting pure bladestone in Demon's Souls, though.

Soodanim

If you're at the point where you make a new character and head straight for the build you're going for by skipping bosses, make an Artorias w/ Abyss Greatsword and treat yourself by going back to Taurus Demon, luring him over to the tower, then R2/RT flip attack off the edge. It's pretty much a one shot instance, but it's extremely satisfying. Also works for NG+ Asylum Demon.

Yumi

Yep, I did. That stupid hydra is actually a joke. I should go to ash lake now that I think about it. I got into the dukes archives and it is super fun. Haven't figured out how to get big hat out of the cage yet though.

I'm also leveling strength to try the zweihander!
Nice! Dont know if my explanation was too obvious or not. The key to free Logan is pretty easy to find. Easier than the key in Sens fortress. I like the dukes archives too, definitely one of the better end game areas that often get critisized.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Nice! Dont know if my explanation was too obvious or not. The key to free Logan is pretty easy to find. Easier than the key in Sens fortress. I like the dukes archives too, definitely one of the better end game areas that often get critisized.
Sure did, freed that lady too. The entrance hasn't appeared yet though.

Trogdor1123

I always wondered if every secret has been found in these games. It's probable but I wonder if there isn't something that was missed. I think of the one emote/gesture from Bloodborne as an example

Chittagong

Gold Member
Got all the four boss souls now. Damn that last one that kept giving me curse. L96 now. Off to DLC next.

Classic obtuse dlc entry. Must have Broken Pendant from golem in Dukes Archives. But it will only drop it is you have met the lady inside the golden golem which far behind where the hydra was in a dead end river. And if you kill her by accident or answer No, dlc goes *poof*. Once you get the pendant at the Archives, you must return to hydra river for black smoke that takes you to the dlc 🤪

Trogdor1123

Got all the four boss souls now. Damn that last one that kept giving me curse. L96 now. Off to DLC next.

Classic obtuse dlc entry. Must have Broken Pendant from golem in Dukes Archives. But it will only drop it is you have met the lady inside the golden golem which far behind where the hydra was in a dead end river. And if you kill her by accident or answer No, dlc goes *poof*. Once you get the pendant at the Archives, you must return to hydra river for black smoke that takes you to the dlc 🤪
You can lose access to the dlc? Are you joking?

Yumi

If you reply wrong or kill the NPC you will have to start a new game to get a chance to access the DLC which is set in the last third of the game
Not true. You can still access the DLC you just cant buy anything from her. I believe the npc Elizabeth also dies in the dlc if you kill dusk.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not true. You can still access the DLC you just cant buy anything from her. I believe the npc Elizabeth also dies in the dlc if you kill dusk.

Wait so if you kill her, the golem at the archives will still drop the Broken Pendant?

Yumi

Thankfully yes.

since the dlc takes place in the past (or its widely believed) killing her in the base game wouldnt effect the events in the past. Or something along those lines.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So I have got this far:

c810321d-3534-4266-8yvjv3.jpeg

Only the last area to go.

But I had a question or two before I embark on the journey of no return.

- Should I consume the souls I have collected during the game now? How about the boss souls like this one? I haven’t used any of them so far.

- My Halberd is +15 and I am rocking a full Havel. I suppose there is nothing more to upgrade?

Alebrije

So I have got this far:

c810321d-3534-4266-8yvjv3.jpeg

Only the last area to go.

But I had a question or two before I embark on the journey of no return.

- Should I consume the souls I have collected during the game now? How about the boss souls like this one? I haven’t used any of them so far.

- My Halberd is +15 and I am rocking a full Havel. I suppose there is nothing more to upgrade?

Does the Switch has achivements or thropy stats like ps4/xbone?

If you have souls use them , upgrade all you want. there is no reason to keep them.

About Halbert guess is the best you can get , I did the way of pyromancy so my full upgrades were the "fire hands" and fire weapon plus rings but a lot of people also got the gargoyles halberd infused with chaos ...it seems is a good one.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Anyone have some tips for 4 kings? I'm using a +4 queloggs sword and I'm not doing damage fast enough. They just spawn to quick. I'm about level 70 I think. Is there a summon I can use?

WindomURL

There is a summon nearby- the same witch that you can summon for the butterfly, iirc. It's not terribly far from the boss area.

edit: Here you go, from the wiki
"Her summon sign is later found behind a pillar before the fog door leading to the Four Kings fight in the Abyss. The Moonlight Butterfly must be defeated with Beatrice's help for her sign will appear here. "

So, if'n you ain't used her for the butterfly, she won't appear there. Sorry if that's bad news.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

There is a summon nearby- the same witch that you can summon for the butterfly, iirc. It's not terribly far from the boss area.

edit: Here you go, from the wiki
"Her summon sign is later found behind a pillar before the fog door leading to the Four Kings fight in the Abyss. The Moonlight Butterfly must be defeated with Beatrice's help for her sign will appear here. "

So, if'n you ain't used her for the butterfly, she won't appear there. Sorry if that's bad news.
I guess that would be bad news then. I didn't use anything for the butterfly as it's a complete joke.

Bummer.

Yumi

Anyone have some tips for 4 kings? I'm using a +4 queloggs sword and I'm not doing damage fast enough. They just spawn to quick. I'm about level 70 I think. Is there a summon I can use?
One of my least favorite bosses. I use the following cheese method. Assuming you have decent stamina and HP, equip havels full set (found in ankr Londo). This gives you great defence but more importantly, 4 kings wont be able to stagger you, letting you attack and heal uninterrupted. Two hand your best fast hitting weapon and wear grass crest shield for stamina recovery. Stay close attacking and heal when necessary. You should be able to tank and kill each one before another pops up.

Trogdor1123

One of my least favorite bosses. I use the following cheese method. Assuming you have decent stamina and HP, equip havels full set (found in ankr Londo). This gives you great defence but more importantly, 4 kings wont be able to stagger you, letting you attack and heal uninterrupted. Two hand your best fast hitting weapon and wear grass crest shield for stamina recovery. Stay close attacking and heal when necessary. You should be able to tank and kill each one before another pops up.
I'll try it. Any weapon suggestions?

Makariel

I'll try it. Any weapon suggestions?
Queelaghs with it's fire damage should do well. What I did in my SL1 run was using Smoughs armor and grass crest shield just went to town with a fire or lightning infused club (can't quite remember, but I think they are weak to fire and lightning). What I found the most difficult was judging the distance so that I don't accidentally miss, in this DPS race you can't afford to miss too often. Tanking through hits with armour that has high poise helps since it allows you to keep damaging them, just make sure you Estus in time before your health bar is too low.

Yumi

Queelaghs with it's fire damage should do well. What I did in my SL1 run was using Smoughs armor and grass crest shield just went to town with a fire or lightning infused club (can't quite remember, but I think they are weak to fire and lightning). What I found the most difficult was judging the distance so that I don't accidentally miss, in this DPS race you can't afford to miss too often. Tanking through hits with armour that has high poise helps since it allows you to keep damaging them, just make sure you Estus in time before your health bar is too low.
Agree with this. I said fast hitting cause heavier weapons take morw stamina, and as far as I know you cant poise break 4 kings so heavy isnt worth it. Never used the quelaag sword so dont know. I alwaysbhad a +15 standard weapon, like long sword or hand axe.

Gargus

Banned
I remember getting cursed for the first time. Was a journey and a half to scrape souls together and cure it.

I wonder if I should play the remaster. I love Dark Souls 1, but I kinda feel like I've played it too many times already/I won't really experience anything new.

Edit:
Now that I'm thinking about it; a low level run would probably be the most fun thing to do :eek:

Get it. It isnt like playing a whole new game but it looks a bit nicer and runs a lot better. Plus it has the dlcs. And you'll also make another sale for from software and show them people are buying it and maybe will remaster demons souls .......and if I'm lucky put kings field on psn.

Yumi

Edit:
If you havent played it on PC with the dsfix it absolutely worth it for the hi res textures and performance.

I did a class run, juat using what you start with and not leveling up just upgrading gear, with the knight and it was very fun.

Plus its on sale right now on PSN for $25 I believe.

Today is a special day. Despite getting the platinum trophy on PS3 back when the game originally released, I could never manage to beat that fucker Manus. Well, today, he finally went down in the remaster. Shout out to 'The Dude' (whoever you are) for the assistance.

I also killed Kalameet for good measure. I was shocked by how much of the game I'd forgotten. And I also discovered a small area I'd never been in before during this play through. Amazing.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I bought this game when it came out, and I played it up to the part where you have to decide to let some dude who is clearly bad news out of a jail cell or not, it's fairly early. I did some minor reading and it seemed like this guy causes a huge pain in the ass if you let him out, I let him out for whatever reason, and then was reading about it and just thought it was all a big headache and just stopped playing.

I want to play through it but I feel like I need to read a damn FAQ first.

Trogdor1123

Beat 4 kings last night. Was actually simple once I used heavy armour as advised above. On to the dukes archives and crystal cave.

Anyone know a good place to see what the boss souls can be used for and what is needed to get them there? It's kinda cruddy on the wiki I was looking at.

I bought this game when it came out, and I played it up to the part where you have to decide to let some dude who is clearly bad news out of a jail cell or not, it's fairly early. I did some minor reading and it seemed like this guy causes a huge pain in the ass if you let him out, I let him out for whatever reason, and then was reading about it and just thought it was all a big headache and just stopped playing.

I want to play through it but I feel like I need to read a damn FAQ first.
Its actually incredibly easy to beat that section, just sit where you warp in, lob poison arrows with black bow of pharris. They won't approach and die quick. Super easy.

Nymphae

Banned
Its actually incredibly easy to beat that section, just sit where you warp in, lob poison arrows with black bow of pharris. They won't approach and die quick. Super easy.

I think we're talking about different parts or something? I don't have any problems with enemies or anything, just there's this one guy who is in a jail cell and he asks you to let him out. I did, and then read about him, and apparently he runs back to your bonfire and kills a bunch of important NPCs or something unless you get back there and kill him first? I was just getting into the game and not prepared for FAQ diving and plotting out how I was going to deal with this guy, so I said fuck it and moved on to another game. I keep wanting to go back and play the game but I don't want to figure this part out lol.

I think we're talking about different parts or something? I don't have any problems with enemies or anything, just there's this one guy who is in a jail cell and he asks you to let him out. I did, and then read about him, and apparently he runs back to your bonfire and kills a bunch of important NPCs or something unless you get back there and kill him first? I was just getting into the game and not prepared for FAQ diving and plotting out how I was going to deal with this guy, so I said fuck it and moved on to another game. I keep wanting to go back and play the game but I don't want to figure this part out lol.
He escapes from the cell and kills the firekeeper regardless. When you see him at Firelink Shrine just kick him off. He won't kill her until you do certain things, which will take you a while, so you aren't fighting against the clock by any means.

Nymphae

Banned
He escapes from the cell and kills the firekeeper regardless. When you see him at Firelink Shrine just kick him off. He won't kill her until you do certain things, which will take you a while, so you aren't fighting against the clock by any means.

Perhaps I'll give it another go after I get through FF XII: TZA, thanks!

Top Bottom