• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Ryckert |OT|

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
_Zf040IZ_400x400.jpg

Dan Ryckert is a famous Twitch streamer, author, podcaster, world record title holder, avid chef, MacGrubber super-fan, and former games journo. He streams regularly on his Twitch channel and uploads videos to his YouTube.
More info on Dan, courtesy of Wiki:

Where you can find Dan:​

Highlight Reel:​

Dan in the Media:​

Last edited:

Hudo

Is it known whether "Fire Escape" (The thing with Mary Kish, Dan and that other dude) is a regular thing? Or was that a one off?

Ben's Pack

Banned
Dan is good people doing good stuff.

I'm not a massive fan of solo streams just talking to chat so I hope he does more with Mary and Mike.

Tesseract

Banned
I’m curious, why did you bounce right after Ryan’s death? I definitely think GB went down hill after that but I kept lying to myself until Drew’s departure.
i stayed for another year or so, brad did an admirable job during that time

but it wasn't the same and i saw it as the beginning of the end, ryan's death gutted the team's soul and it showed

keep meaning to catch up, anyone has a rec for a jumping point (be it podcast or stream, let me know)

Last edited:
So glad to see Dan Rykert moving on with new content and new games in the new year. Other sites who delayed game of the year have been silent, despite considerable staff, and I cant even listen because I dont want spoilers.

Perhaps other sites might come alive next week, but Dan is the Rocky Balboa of video games and he cant be stopped.

So glad to see Dan Rykert moving on with new content and new games in the new year. Other sites who delayed game of the year have been silent, despite considerable staff, and I cant even listen because I dont want spoilers.

Perhaps other sites might come alive next week, but Dan is the Rocky Balboa of video games and he cant be stopped.
Some people just have crazy work ethics, and Dan Ryckert is one of those people. I've watched some clips of his streams here and there and he seems to be putting out some really solid stuff while still having a full time job with the WWE.

Hustler.

Some people just have crazy work ethics, and Dan Ryckert is one of those people. I've watched some clips of his streams here and there and he seems to be putting out some really solid stuff while still having a full time job with the WWE.

Hustler.
I would buy him some TB if I crossed paths with him. That's Taco Bell in my neck of the woods.

So what does everyone think of Major Melon?

ExtraCheese

Neo Member
It's great that Dan, who for the whole year had a whole other job outside of games and is not backed by funding from a corporation to game, was able to play through a lot of the biggest games and get a GOTY discussion done within 2020. Amazing how some sites can't even play the big releases, even if they are literally paid to do so.

Really goes to show how Dan has always been about games and their enjoyment.

Harts316

Hustler.

I think it shows how much he really loves games. It probably doesn’t feel like “work” to him. Good for him that he can make some extra money.

Does anybody know the origin of the whole Bakalar not returning Dan's copy of MacGruber thing? Did Bakalar really just straight up borrow it and not return it or was there other circumstances involved?

What are people's thoughts on his Demon's Souls playthrough so far? I'm not sure if he's gonna finish it, but it's pretty funny seeing Dan get flustered and pissy when he can't beat bosses, or has problems with areas. I feel like the Souls games require a certain amount of patience that Dan just doesn't have, so I was surprised that he even started playing.

Just realized I’ve been subbed to his YouTube for ages and haven’t watched much. I’ve got a five-day weekend ahead of me. Probably going to catch up on some stuff.

Any recommendations?
2020 games of the year with Mary Kish and Mike Mahardy (Fire Escape)
Hitman 3 Dan Checks Out
Goldeneye With Mario Characters

Anything else would be your personal preference for games you like but I think those are the objectively entertaining videos.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Good to see Dan again. Remember when he was hired by GB?

Sure do wish someone would invite me to the DR discord where it is very impersonal and positive.

Last edited:

Turnstyle

As the GB thread is closed, I'll post Dan, Mary and Mike's Fire Escape podcast again in here. This was originally a 7 hour video stream, but I've ripped the audio and made it podcasty;

Episode 1

- Worst Title of the Year
- Out of Nowhere of the Year

Episode 2

- Dumb Thing of the Year (Bad)
- Dumb Thing of the Year (Good)

Episode 3

- Thing we Forgot Came Out this Year (Bad)
- Remake/Remaster/Revival of the Year

Episode 4

- Most Unnecessary Remake/Remaster/Revival (Bad)
- Best Game we Played that Didn't Come out this Year (Good)
- Bugsnack of the Year
- Thing that Felt New of the Year

Episode 5

- Top 10 Games of the Year

Link to folder with all episodes

T-800

Neo Member
Welp, this sucks. Signedup for gb ot and was looking forward to goty :)

Glad Don got out of that hellhole. Those bigots were wailing on him before he even said anything toward the end.
Personally cant stand listening to superchats and shit but hope he does well in the streaming world.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just realized I’ve been subbed to his YouTube for ages and haven’t watched much. I’ve got a five-day weekend ahead of me. Probably going to catch up on some stuff.

Any recommendations?

He, Mary, & Mike did a GOTY pod. It's a good listen.

Good to see Dan again. Remember when he was hired by GB?

Sure do wish someone would invite me to the DR discord where it is very impersonal and positive.
You have to sub to his Twitch to get access to his Discord.

What are people's thoughts on his Demon's Souls playthrough so far? I'm not sure if he's gonna finish it, but it's pretty funny seeing Dan get flustered and pissy when he can't beat bosses, or has problems with areas. I feel like the Souls games require a certain amount of patience that Dan just doesn't have, so I was surprised that he even started playing.

I would love to see him finish it on stream but I don't think it will happen. He said the only FromSoft game he's finished was Bloodbourne and mentioned don one stream that he's not really wanting to go back to Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

Ben's Pack

Banned
He was pretty bad at Demons to be fair. If he was going to "play" it by continuing to summon and let them steamroll the bosses as he did nothing then it's kinda pointless anyway.

Ramagamma

Banned
Sounding pretty negative there. Better perk it up. Maybe instead of using decapitation as a method for a solution you insist they hug it out and go halves on a limited edition Ghosts of Tsushima statue

i don't fully understand your tone or intent here but it involves making a positive comment about Greg Miller which I'm just not able to do

i guess i could make a videogame with most of its budget blown on marketing, that seems to be a way to get Greg Miller to like you, at least for a week

Philfrag

Banned
i don't fully understand your tone or intent here but it involves making a positive comment about Greg Miller which I'm just not able to do

i guess i could make a videogame with most of its budget blown on marketing, that seems to be a way to get Greg Miller to like you, at least for a week
My Intent is to save the world through the medium of internet discussion.

Top Bottom