• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad gets nearly $8,000 bill after son racks up charges from microtransactions in FIFA

Gxgear

The consumer has to bear some responsibility in understanding their use of the services. Both the father and the son made every mistake they could in this situation.

On the positive side $8000 CDN is only about $6.50 US right now.

s28PsRv.gif

I guarantee it's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. The mere threat of a lawsuit would likely result in a favorable settlement. Going to the press was the right first step to take. Regardless of how dumb this kid is, this kind of game design is predatory and wrong.

Fucking lol.

You think that a lawsuit over 8k is worth the time and effort? Much less that there would be very little standing for the father and son pair to actually file a lawsuit.

The sad thing is. That shit like this could potentially fuck up a family's life to the extent of them going bankrupt or being piss poor. There needs to be laws on this type of shit. If my kids spent 8000$ I'd be fucked and wouldn't recover for quite awhile.

Microsoft should just refund the amount and take away the digital goods. It's ludicrous, because I'm fairly certain each purchase notes that you are buying a thing with real money (but hey, I could be wrong), and the Microsoft Store states that as well, but it'd be the best option for all.

Dabanton

17 yrs old? And he didn't know better? yeah whatever lol.

I have a friend who did this kinda thing but his weakness was Halo stuff spent a fair bit on his dad's card. Before his dad found out when the bill arrived my friend got his 360 confiscated for 8 months and had to work off the amount to pay it back.

Nere

He is 17 not 7. Nobody believes him here, how can a 17 year old not know what he is doing when spending money? He is going to vote in 1 year and still he doesn't realize how the world works?

lostcauz

Simple, get a prepaid card like Revolut MasterCard.
Too late now but there are much better options than giving your kids full access to your credit cards.

Ponn

Banned
I don't disagree with the notion of self-control. I'm big on personal responsibility. So, in these types of cases I'd favor a moderate settlement. But there's a difference between "reasonable DLC" and this kind of bullshit. The mere fact that its even possible to spend $8000 on FIFA "digital goods" is deliberately predatory.

I feel there's more talk of it being predatory solely because in general people give less value to digital goods. I think the value proposition is totally up to the consumer so to me i find it a slippery slope to start trying to say what is valuable to people or not based on your own opinion. I don't see it anymore predatory than CCG's, Amiibos, Skylanders or Lego Dimensions. Again, its just people giving those former things more value because they are physical. Then again can't you buy unlimited digital packs for that marvel puzzle quest game? What about league of legends or hearthstone? Is there really a huge difference in those games and mobile games or is it just because they are more popular with "real gamers" so they are given a pass?

Falk

that puzzling face
As for Perkins, he has come up with one way to ensure he won't be getting another shocking credit card bill.

"There will never be another Xbox system — or any gaming system — in my home."

Hopefully the family doesn't use smartphones either.

Syriel

I guarantee it's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. The mere threat of a lawsuit would likely result in a favorable settlement. Going to the press was the right first step to take. Regardless of how dumb this kid is, this kind of game design is predatory and wrong.

OK then, since you are so well versed in the legal system, answer the question.

Under what legal theory would the dad sue MS for?

What is the cause of action here that would allow a suit to proceed and would survive a motion to dismiss?

If you're 17 and you're not grasping what you're doing at that point, having to pay 8k might be a very good lesson for him.

He'll never pull that shit again, that's for sure.

JayEH

These stories seem to be more common now. When I read the thread title I thought it would be a young kid not some 17 year old who knew god damn well what he was doing. Idiot.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Whenever I hear these stories I think the dads are the ones racking up the bills and only pretend it was their however old kids because they think they can get away with it.

grimmiq

No way a 17 year old didn't know what he was doing, and if he somehow didn't and can drive I fear for the lives of everyone around him with his decision making.

So what's the solution here?

We have repeated confirmations. Doesn't seem to work.
We have parental controls. Parents don't know or don't want to use them.

Do they need to screw over a lot of people and make it voucher only? No way to buy with your card, have to purchase a PSN or XBL wallet card to make purchases every time?

Make a 1 strike rule for users? "Oh no, we didn't know we were spending real money" Refund and banned from digital purchases in the future.

J-Tier

Parent didn't do his due diligence. Son is probably feigning ignorance so he won't get in trouble.

I don't see any reason for the money to be refunded.

ElNino

The father probably didn't see the emails, because it was't the dad's account.
Can you attach a credit card to the account of a minor? If you can, and the dad attached his card to the son's account, then he is just as much to blame.

I'm sure he wouldn't add his CC to his son's Amazon account and trust him to only use it once.

I have no credit cards attached to my consoles and my iPads are locked out of IAPs and password locked. My kids android tablets have no cards attached to them either. Really not that hard to stop this from happening.
Yep, our iPad is password protected where only I know the password (not even my wife) and IAPs are disabled.

My son's Apple account on his iPod and MBP has no credit cards and can only use gift cards

My MS account has my CC, but both the profile and purchases are password protected. If my sons want something, they either use a gift card or I buy it on my account.

On my son's Steam account, if he wants something he pays me and I gift it to him.

There might be hoops to jump through, but it's far better this way as I have only myself to blame if anything is purchased.

I do so love these lack of personal responsibility stories, and then the people who jump in defend them and criticize Microsoft for not properly protecting the "victims" from themselves.

Grover

Banned
im conflicted,

this 17 year old kid cant be dumb enough to think it was a one time purchase or w/e (im not even sure i understand the logistics of what he says happened),

but if he knew it was more than a one time thing then theres no way he would have spent 8000 dollars on it,

so i have no clue how it happened

MODEYV3

Banned
How much is one of those?

You have to buy a pack for around 7,500 coins or 150 fifa points.
500 fifa points is worth - £3.99

Each pack is purely based on luck, with some packs differing in rarity and scale (rarer costs more etc).
But you can build up coins by playing games on fifa or selling players you have either bought or got from packs.

Messi (non inform) on ps4 is worth 850,000 coins on the market.

Edit - Each in-game FIFA match gives you around 300-600 coins, based on performance.

shira

You have to buy a pack for around 7,500 coins or 150 fifa points.

500 fifa points is worth - £3.99

Each pack is purely based on luck.

But you can build up coins by playing games on fifa or selling players you have either bought or got from packs.

Messi (non inform) on ps4 is worth 850,000 coins on the market.

LOL what a fucking idiot.

On my son's Steam account, if he wants something he pays me and I gift it to him.

Hey it's me - your father

jorma

is now taking requests
A minor using a cc that wasnt his. Void the transactions. And fuck EA for not already having agreed to do just that.

A minor using a cc that wasnt his. Void the transactions. And fuck EA for not already having agreed to do just that.

Doesn't matter. The parent provided the card, and access to use the card on Xbox Live.

The most they should be obligated to do is cut the bill in half.

.... That's a whole lot of money for a 17yo to mistakenly spend. The kid knew what he was doing, he was just hoping no one would notice. When his dad confronted him, he acted the fool. Hopefully they all learn a good lesson from this, just a bit of an expensive one unfortunately.

No normal person would spend that much money in a game, so I'm gonna guess the son wasn't taught the proper value of money. The dad gave him access to a device with a CC connected to it, that is just asking for trouble. He probably didn't get that many little transactions can add up quickly. It's not EA's fault, this isn't a case of an 8 year old accidentally tapping money away. And even that could be questioned since it's easily avoided by not having your CC connected. I dislike these types of microtransactions as much as the next person, but it's nothing new either. I was phoning Habbo Hotel for credits like 10 years ago. A two second call, paying through the phone bill. Easy for kids to do (I did it behind my parents' back, but I learned that was wrong pretty quickly).

But seriously... 8000$ ?? In a mobile FIFA game ?? That's just crazy.

Edit: woops I thought this was a mobile game #didntreadtheOP that's even weirder

Would RNG microtransactions be easily argued to be just another form of gambling?

Sounds like this is the next step for the gaming industry to push forward and set standards.

Syriel

How do you even rack up that much? Last time I checked I don't remember DLC going even past $500 o.o

Multiple purchases. It's the digital equivalent of a CCG. Think of it like buying multiple Magic packs trying to snag a Black Lotus.

The dad gave him access to a device with a CC connected to it, that is just asking for trouble.

The dad didn't just give him an account connected to the card. The dad straight up gave him the credit card to use "for emergencies."

dose

The son's a fucking idiot, and so is the father. So many classic lines in the OP.
WTF? Why should EA do anything? The father and son's fault, no one elses.

The kid was dumb and the dad was even dumber. Clearly the kid knew what he was doing but just didn't make notice how much he spent. I'm against company's use of micrograms action but this all falls on the father & son.

ubiblu

It's criminal that there aren't 'upper limits' on in-app purchases, especially for games. No one should ever have to spend more than say $50 to get all of the available content of a game. I could say the same thing for hearthstone (of which I have happily pumped in at least $300 to date).

RedRum

Banned
Sorry. I don't buy into the bullshit.

You don't just click the transaction and it happens. A warning page will come up and tell you EXACTLY how much you're going to be charged each time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on FIFA or any other game.

Vitacat

How the hell is there even $8000 worth of crap to buy for one game?!

I know nothing about the game, but that's pretty damn scammy sounding to me.

I know the parent and his dopey 17 y/o kid are responsible, but I despise this new age of microtransactions and endless DLC's etc.

Sorry. I don't buy into the bullshit.

You don't just click the transaction and it happens. A warning page will come up and tell you EXACTLY how much you're going to be charged each time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on FIFA or any other game.

You are not wrong. The warning signs were all there.

BasilZero

That is insane.

What can anyone buy in terms of microtransactions.

That is more than what I spent on entire gaming (collector's edition, consoles, DLC, etc) combined in the last 15 years.

Top Bottom