• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 and Phantom Liberty earned CDPR 826M PLN (207M USD) in revenue in 2023 | Cumulative revenue sits at 3B PLN (750M USD)

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That doesn't sound much? The game with the expansion cost over $400M USD if I remember. A return of $750M after all that time isn't very high.

The probably lost 10s of millions of dollars in refunds.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

That doesn't sound much? The game with the expansion cost over $400M USD if I remember. A return of $750M after all that time isn't very high.

The probably lost 10s of millions of dollars in refunds.
This game still has legs, just look at the graph. 5 hour demo is coming soon to PS5 and Xbox. This will drive additional revenue.
Look BioWare fucks - this is why you salvage your game. No go and get shot by EA.

Last edited:
Neither Cyberpunk 2077 nor Phantom Liberty has hit any of the big subscription services yet, so there's lots of revenue avenues they can and will explore in the next couple of years. I'm sure they bank on the game having legs for days now that it has been fixed and the expansion has received great critic and user reception.

As an aside, their profit margin for FY2023 sits at 39%.

GJxjdADWUAAVJBc

Last edited:

Dazraell

No, this was definitely in USD lol. $315M USD. $85M is impossible for a game like that.
It is, cause you referred to a budget of a Patch 2.0 and Phantom Liberty

Btw. You also should read that chart on the first post carefully as that 207M revenue was related to 2023 alone

Last edited:

Gaiff

It is, cause you referred to a budget of a Patch 2.0 and Phantom Liberty
The game and the expansion cost $400M+, not just Phantom Liberty or the work post patch.

The base game cost $314M. Phantom Liberty cost $85M. That's already $399M. With all the fixing they've done after the release, we're looking at $400M+ USD.

Last edited:

Dazraell

The game and the expansion cost $400M+, not just Phantom Liberty or the work post patch.

The base game cost $314M. Phantom Liberty cost $85M. That's already $399M. With all the fixing they've done after the release, we're looking at $400M+ USD.
My point still stands as you were saying $207M revenue is low considering the game's budget, but that $207M was from 2023 alone. Cyberpunk was released in 2020. This means they already recouped the costs of the development of Phantom Liberty

Gaiff

My point still stands as you were saying $207M revenue is low considering the game's budget, but that $207M was from 2023 alone. Cyberpunk was released in 2020. This means they already recouped the costs of the development of Phantom Liberty
No, I was saying $750M is low, which is the revenue figure since launch. I'm saying that for a game that cost $400M+ to produce (with the DLC and post-release support), $750M in revenues doesn't sound very much, and that's the total.

Last edited:

Gaiff

So I built my new PC a couple of months ago (in anticipation of starfield, lol!) and after finding out starfield sucks I turned to cyberpunk 2077.

Holy crap the game is amazing. I hope they add more DLC. It looks and plays amazing
They won't add more DLCs.

DaGwaphics

Amazing. At least it shows that traditional single player games can still bring in the $. A 100% RoI doesn't seem bad to me, and that will only improve now as they have basically finished work on it at this point and this game is an evergreen seller on Steam and the consoles.

nemiroff

Gold Member
No, I was saying $750M is low, which is the revenue figure since launch. I'm saying that for a game that cost $400M+ to produce (with the DLC and post-release support), $750M in revenues doesn't sound very much
I have no idea what is high or low. So what pool of data are you using as a reference for this notion?

Last edited:

Gaiff

I have no idea what is high or low. So what pool of data are you using as a reference for this notion?
Oh, I have no idea either. I just said that it doesn't sound much. Halo 4 for instance generated $300M in its first week so I find Cyberpunk generating $750M in around 40 months not particularly impressive. GTA V made $800M in a day and $1B in 3.

The game sold over 25M copies so $750M would be an average of $30 a copy which doesn't sound like a lot.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Oh, I have no idea either. I just said that it doesn't sound much. Halo 4 for instance generated $300M in its first week so I find Cyberpunk generating $750M in around 40 months not particularly impressive. GTA V made $800M in a day and $1B in 3.

The game sold over 25M copies so $750M would be an average of $30 a copy which doesn't sound like a lot.

But this is revenue to CDPR. Halo's was total revenue. I am assuming CDPR doesnt get full revenue of a copy sold. Lets say they get ~60%, that means the total revenue from CP2077 is 750/.6=1250m or 1.25B.
Better, but not the highest ever.

Mahavastu

Oh, I have no idea either. I just said that it doesn't sound much. Halo 4 for instance generated $300M in its first week so I find Cyberpunk generating $750M in around 40 months not particularly impressive.
Have you checked how much Cyberpunk did in the first week? I think it was like 13mio copies sold on launch... Before the refunds of course...
If that game would be on launch day as it is with version 2.x, it would be insanely successful.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Man…I’ve never played either of these games. Which one would you recommend playing first? I only have a PS5 so keep that in mind.
Neither.

Play them on PC. Maybe Witcher 3 , but the “juice” from these titles is PC versions on max settings on top end machines.

I personally think Witcher 3 isn’t holding up over the test of time , but it’ll be the better title to play on a PS5.

swing_harder

Neo Member
What setting do you prefer? Sci-fi or high fantasy?
I’m actually a big fan of both. I recently finished all of the Resident Evil remakes and the Dead Space remake. I loved all of those games but kind of burnt out on survival horror at the moment. Just looking for something different to play. I’m thinking I may give Cyberpunk a go because I have a tendency of getting sidetracked in large open world games and not finishing them. I heard Witcher 3 is a whopper of a game.

Dodo123

So many of you are reacting wrongly to this. Do you know how the value chain of this business looks like?
Let me repeat after one user that actually understands. These are revenues of CDPR only... So saying things like "another game made 184 billion in two minutes" is meaningless here. The scale is different.
39.1% of net profitability margin says it all, really. They are doing well and plan to give 100mn PLN in dividends to prove it.

Not sure if game is a resounding success, but good thing is CDPR now has a team that can make games like these.

I expect Witcher 4 to be properly system driven. No more over reliance on story, music, graphics. I mean, there is a limit to how long I can play a game just for these qualities alone.

timothet

But this is revenue to CDPR. Halo's was total revenue. I am assuming CDPR doesnt get full revenue of a copy sold. Lets say they get ~60%, that means the total revenue from CP2077 is 750/.6=1250m or 1.25B.
Better, but not the highest ever.
They get 100% from GOG as they own it, 70% from Steam for the first $10M of sales, after that it rises to 75%. On Xbox and Playstation it's also 70% IIRC.
Over half of their sales are from PC, consoles share the rest 50/50 more or less. In 2021 it was 58% for PC, 20% for PS and 22% for Xbox.

Boss Mog

Man…I’ve never played either of these games. Which one would you recommend playing first? I only have a PS5 so keep that in mind.
Go with whichever setting you find more interesting.

Personally I prefer futuristic over fantasy and even though I tried to get into The Witcher 3, I felt the combat was atrocious and so I couldn't really keep playing it.

Cyberpunk has amazing combat and the story was very good. Phantom Liberty is also a must play. For me who waited for the PS5 version to come out before playing it, I feel it's by far the best game I've played this gen. Can't recommend it enough. If you do decide to play it make sure to watch the 8 episode anime series on Netflix beforehand as it's excellent and gives you a good sense of Night City.

RAIDEN1

...In related news Cyberpunk will have another free 5 hour demo available during the easter weekend...(doesn't include access to the DLC) ....

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So I built my new PC a couple of months ago (in anticipation of starfield, lol!) and after finding out starfield sucks I turned to cyberpunk 2077.

Holy crap the game is amazing. I hope they add more DLC. It looks and plays amazing. Its a real redemption story
Hah this kinda follows my exact trajectory…built not solely in anticipation of Starfield, but it was a big factor…then I was very meh on Starfield, and then Cyberpunk 2.0 was right around the corner so I jumped into that and man what a difference.

I keep thinking I might go back to Starfield at some point but damn man, it feels so dated in all the wrong ways and so “modern” in all the wrong ways. Then I play BG3 and there’s some foul mouthed dwarf calling me a cunt and I’m like…no time for Starfield

stn

Its a really good game after all the patches and DLC. I played it a bit on release but decided to wait a few years until it was fixed, and I'm glad I did.

Denton

CDP has 327 million USD in a bank and no debt. So they could fund another Cyberpunk just from reserve even if they sold nothing going forward.
But, I expect their future games will not have such an insane budget, and their games will continue selling for years (decades). They sure built a good, sound business.

RAIDEN1

Best game of the generation so far IMO. I played it 3 times. Once at launch, once after the 1.5 update, once after Phantom Liberty. I had a blast all 3 times.
If Adam Jensen ever does come back he could be a cross over character to the next part of Cyberpunk, (seeing as the world of Deus EX is all but dead)

RAIDEN1

oh man dont tease me!
Well that's the only way they could somewhat resurrect his story, after the news of the franchise itself not coming back anytime soon, even though that one which was in development didn't even have Adam in it in the first place..

hussar16

This game still has legs, just look at the graph. 5 hour demo is coming soon to PS5 and Xbox. This will drive additional revenue.
Look BioWare fucks - this is why you salvage your game. No go and get shot by EA.
What ea did with mass effect Andromeda was a disaster not fixing it or expansion

Top Bottom