• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creative mp3 players and the Xbox 360?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Does anyone know if the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, or any other creative player for that matter, works as a streaming music player for the Xbox 360? I know iPod does but what about Creative's players?

creatives flash mp3 players works, don't know about the others but considering they work like portable harddrives all of them they should work

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So, I'd have to hardwire my iPod to the X360? USB, I take it? Not sure how this works.

Oh, and protected music? What's that? :lol

joaomgcd

jakershaker said:
creatives flash mp3 players works, don't know about the others but considering they work like portable harddrives all of them they should work

The creative Zen Xtra doesn't work like a portable harddrive... Any info if that works on the 360?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Thnaks. Hopefully my Jukebox 3 works :)

Argyle

I seriously doubt the Jukebox 3 will work, I'm positive a Jukebox 1 won't work because it doesn't show up as a USB Mass Storage device...

Rule of thumb: If your mp3 player needs drivers, it probably won't work on the Xbox.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Zen Xtra has new firmware out but I don't know if it'll work with 360

joaomgcd

Argyle said:
I seriously doubt the Jukebox 3 will work, I'm positive a Jukebox 1 won't work because it doesn't show up as a USB Mass Storage device...

Rule of thumb: If your mp3 player needs drivers, it probably won't work on the Xbox.

Well, the iPod needs iTunes (or some drivers) for it to be readable, doesn't it? As a harddrive you just see a bunch of weird named folders and files... Maybe Microsoft got some kind of agreement with Apple and Creative?...

isamu

jobber said:
Zen Xtra has new firmware out but I don't know if it'll work with 360

That bloaz goats! :(

cvxfreak

Mejilan said:
So, I'd have to hardwire my iPod to the X360? USB, I take it? Not sure how this works.

Oh, and protected music? What's that? :lol

Yeah, the iPod hooks up to the 360 via USB.

joaomgcd

From the Creative webpage, about Zen Xtra:

This firmware update enhances your Zen Xtra with PlaysForSure™ functionality.

PlaysForSure devices enable you to:

* Use subscription-based online music services
* Enjoy seamless support with any computer running Microsoft® Windows Media® Player 10 and Windows® XP - no drivers or software needed
* Use the drag-and-drop method to transfer songs or files to your player through Windows Explorer
* Use the Sync feature in Windows Media Player 10 to synchronize your player with your music library and playlists.

IMPORTANT:

* This firmware update permanently replaces your player's current firmware. Your player's firmware cannot be reverted to its original once this update is installed.
* This firmware upgrade enables playback of subscription music service content on the Zen Xtra, but may reduce the total number of files that the player can store. The actual results will vary depending on content specifications, and the result may be more evident in players with larger capacity.
* This firmware is only for players that are used with Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (SP1 or SP2) and Windows Media Player 10.
* Be sure to back up all the audio and data files on your Zen Xtra before installing this firmware update as all content will be lost when you install the new firmware. After installing the PlaysForSure firmware, use Windows Media Player 10 to restore audio and/or data files to your player.
* Software updates are required if you want to use any currently installed applications like Creative MediaSource™, NOMAD® Explorer, or other track management tools with your player after installing this firmware. [Click here].
* Installation of this firmware may take up to five minutes, and your device may restart a number of times during installation.
* Do not disconnect the USB cable from your player or computer during installation.
* Be sure to fully charge your player before updating the firmware.

If the Zen Xtra is so "seamlessly" integrated with WMP now (with no drivers needed), maybe there's hope it works with the 360 too...

jobber

joaomgcd said:
From the Creative webpage, about Zen Xtra:

If the Zen Xtra is so "seamlessly" integrated with WMP now (with no drivers needed), maybe there's hope it works with the 360 too...

I would give it a try but I don't want to lose all my music :(

Argyle

joaomgcd said:
Well, the iPod needs iTunes (or some drivers) for it to be readable, doesn't it? As a harddrive you just see a bunch of weird named folders and files... Maybe Microsoft got some kind of agreement with Apple and Creative?...

The iPod is so popular that MS reverse engineered the database format on the drive. I wouldn't be surprised to see an "arms race" where Apple updates the firmware on the iPod, causing it to be unreadable on a 360, then MS releases a patch on XBL to get it working again, etc...

Edit: I think any "PlaysForSure" mp3 player is supposed to work with the 360...so that's good news for Zen Xtra owners...

StRaNgE

Banned
Does anyone know how to just take mp3's from my computer and transfer them to the 360 ?

do i have to burn a disk and use that or can i do it through the router?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
General consensus on the NomadWorld forums are that the new firmware should allow you to stream from your Zen... as an Xtra owner as well I'll be curious to see how this comes out.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The iPod is so popular that MS reverse engineered the database format on the drive. I wouldn't be surprised to see an "arms race" where Apple updates the firmware on the iPod, causing it to be unreadable on a 360, then MS releases a patch on XBL to get it working again, etc...

Last I checked, M$ had a 20% stake in Apple.

jobber

in the past 24 hours i've transfered over 6000 songs to my pc for backup, upgraded the firmware of my Zen Xtra, then transfering back 6000 tracks, I can confirm that after the upgrade, the 360 now finds the Zen Xtra.

joaomgcd

jobber said:
in the past 24 hours i've transfered over 6000 songs to my pc for backup, upgraded the firmware of my Zen Xtra, then transfering back 6000 tracks, I can confirm that after the upgrade, the 360 now finds the Zen Xtra.

Yes! :D Thanks for the effort.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jobber said:
be warned. This firmware is having a few issues...

Some how that doesn't surprise me... I tried to upgrade my Xtra when I first got it and that particular firmware upgrade went to shit... I restored the originally firmware and haven't tried to upgrade again...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Argyle said:

Edit: I think any "PlaysForSure" mp3 player is supposed to work with the 360...so that's good news for Zen Xtra owners...

IIRC, the iPod and iTunes "database" is an open XML file format that is easily readable and decipherable, even by humans (I know the one located on your PC is, at least).

jobber

DarienA said:
Some how that doesn't surprise me... I tried to upgrade my Xtra when I first got it and that particular firmware upgrade went to shit... I restored the originally firmware and haven't tried to upgrade again...

well for me it's a major issue. It have around 28.5 gigs total space, yet when I get down to 2.5 gigs free it tells me it's full. It's really pissing me off. I got use to seeing nothing but mp3 tracks when I opened it up using explorer, now it uses folders. I'm not sure if I can downgrade because the warning said you can not use older firmware once this is installed.

joaomgcd

I have now upgraded to new firmware myself (having to backup around 5000 songs in the process) and am now ready for the 360 on friday. :D

OniShiro

Banned
* This firmware upgrade enables playback of subscription music service content on the Zen Xtra, but may reduce the total number of files that the player can store. The actual results will vary depending on content specifications, and the result may be more evident in players with larger capacity.

Maybe that's why it says it's full, btw I also have the zen xtra, I'll upgrade tomorrow after I backup my mp3s.

jobber

OniShiro said:
Maybe that's why it says it's full, btw I also have the zen xtra, I'll upgrade tomorrow after I backup my mp3s.

but 2 gigs is quite alot

Top Bottom