• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Xdrive05

I'll wait and see the data, but probably yes.
Same. I have one that's eight, and my other is still a toddler.

My eight year old's school is having C19 cases almost daily now, each time means that student's classroom gets sent home to quarantine for two weeks. My kid has already had to quarantine once this semester, shortly after the school year began. I'm so fucking over this.

If the Pfizer is green lit for his age group we'll probably go for it.

JumpMan1981

Banned
I get that people are lying about the vaccine to one extent or the other saying it's completely ineffectual or it's completely preventing covid.
But why are people lying about the virus itself what benefit does it serve them to say it's not dangerous, or I won't have any effect if you get it?
Also why are people believing such blatantly false things about the virus I guess I don't understand like where is their sense of self-preservation if I'm in the car an I forgot to put my seatbelt on I'll put it on within a block or two from pulling out, so I'm not taking that risk.
I just don't understand how people can risk their lives to not get a vaccine or not have to wear a mask it just seems like such a huge gamble it's not worth it. That I just don't understand.

Is it such a huge gamble though? I mean from a statistical point of view?

We know for a fact that catching the virus isn't a death sentence.
We know quite a lot about the risk factors for people who do catch it.

If someone is of a certain age, works out, eats healthy, maybe takes some supplements what kind of risk are they taking on when they refuse to vaccinate? When they refuse to wear a mask? You are saying they are risking their lives but not really quantifying it.

I see folks cycling without helmets all the time. People drinking too much, smoking too much, eating too much.
I don't know the risk factors there but I also don't really preach to them because it's not any of my business.

Is it really such a huge gamble?

JumpMan1981

Banned

Trudeau is being a bit silly here.
Kind of exposing why you won't ever get 100% compliance.

So while I absolutely want to be able to go to restaurants and take city breaks and go to the beach etc etc there will be people who just don't need those things to be happy.

He's trying for this "you won't be able to get nice things if you aren't vaccinated" message but I wonder how many people are going to simply find other ways to be happy and content in their life. Plenty of people will just call the government's bluff on this.

This is essentially how my family and friends lived all the way through the lockdowns. Doing BBQs and drinking and movie nights and game nights and camping and picnics etc etc. It was nice. Like really nice to connect with people on a more intimate level than going to some overpriced, loud and annoying restaurant.

Travel is nice (I love it) but I bet most people have really interesting and nice places locally.

The only angle I could see them really pushing would be work. Like, you can't work if you aren't vaccinated.

I reckon there will also be something of a time limit here. I can't see any way that countries are going crazy pushing vaccine mandates and whatnot in 2 or 3 years from now. More likely they will end up easing off. So people must know that if they can just hold out or find different solutions then it'll be fine. Again, pretty much how we saw the lockdowns. Sure we couldn't do our usual routine but we could invite people over and makes sure everyone is washing hands and we are keeping some distance and having things outdoors where possible and just wait for shit to blow over. Which it has so far.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not sure I'm gonna get my kids vaxxed barring a new mutation that radically increases the risk for children.

A. my oldest has already tested positive for covid so natural immunity probably covers that one.
B. even with a vax I don't think it will matter for school; with symptoms they go home, without symptoms, even with a positive contact, they can attend in person. Been working well so far and I don't think being vaxxed will let them attend with a fever or a new cough.

If the vax affects kids like it does adults (1-2 days in bed seems pretty typical and our experience) then I doubt it will see a lot of acceptance given how mild actual covid is for the vast majority of kids. Be nice to have the vax as an option for specific kids though that are at higher risk.

sackings

Sweden (and other nearby countries) has been explainable by over a year, but since we don't have a functioning scientific and media community nobody knows it.
They fortify their food with vitamin D.

RAÏSanÏa

Trudeau is being a bit silly here.
Kind of exposing why you won't ever get 100% compliance.

So while I absolutely want to be able to go to restaurants and take city breaks and go to the beach etc etc there will be people who just don't need those things to be happy.

He's trying for this "you won't be able to get nice things if you aren't vaccinated" message but I wonder how many people are going to simply find other ways to be happy and content in their life. Plenty of people will just call the government's bluff on this.

This is essentially how my family and friends lived all the way through the lockdowns. Doing BBQs and drinking and movie nights and game nights and camping and picnics etc etc. It was nice. Like really nice to connect with people on a more intimate level than going to some overpriced, loud and annoying restaurant.

Travel is nice (I love it) but I bet most people have really interesting and nice places locally.

The only angle I could see them really pushing would be work. Like, you can't work if you aren't vaccinated.

I reckon there will also be something of a time limit here. I can't see any way that countries are going crazy pushing vaccine mandates and whatnot in 2 or 3 years from now. More likely they will end up easing off. So people must know that if they can just hold out or find different solutions then it'll be fine. Again, pretty much how we saw the lockdowns. Sure we couldn't do our usual routine but we could invite people over and makes sure everyone is washing hands and we are keeping some distance and having things outdoors where possible and just wait for shit to blow over. Which it has so far.

What Trudeau is saying sounds like it may be in reference to the complaints from the vaccinated(those that did the right thing) in regards to the recent $100 incentivization for the latecomer unvaxxed(those that did wrong thing by waiting). Which failed to bring up rates in Alberta.
It wasn't until vaccine passports last Wednesday were announced that Alberta rates of vaccination have tripled.

There's an election going on and it's difficult to tell from just the wording in the clip provided by "Rebel media". But those were the buzzwords were in the news "did the right thing" in regards to the vaccinated that should have been given that $100.

Passes were always meant to be temporary. BC one is being reevaluated January. It's seeming more to encourage rates and discouraging unvaxxed activity during waves. Which is working in provinces with an organized rollout. Enforcement in BC maybe won't be too strict, more spirit of the law than letter in relaxed settings, but hard to say. Unless there's an outbreak or people are using forged docs then shit might hit the fan. Any outbreaks are traced or documents forged liability ensues. Big venue stuff and establishments with high health expectation will be more strict, ID and checking. That will bring down or keep level hospitalization rates just on it's own while things open up more and cases may rise.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
5slq2hjvino71.png

DeaDPo0L84

Me, my wife, and the in laws are going to DisneyWorld in a couple weeks. We're all vaccinated and will of course adhere to the masking policies which to my knowledge are it's required indoors but not outdoors. I fully expect at this point that even vaccinated people will probably get covid and I feel like this is probably when it will likely happen.

I have suspicions that I might have had it really early on but it was when testing wasn't widely available so I cant confirm. All the same I'm vaccinated and healthy so if I get a extra 2 weeks off on the tail end of my vacation so be it.

Last edited:

Kilau

Me, my wife, and the in laws are going to DisneyWorld in a couple weeks. We're all vaccinated and will of course adhere to the masking policies which to my knowledge are it's required indoors but not outdoors. I fully expect at this point that even vaccinated people will probably get covid and I feel like this is probably when it will likely happen.

I have suspicions that I might have had it really early on but it was when testing wasn't widely available so I cant confirm. All the same I'm vaccinated and healthy so if I get a extra 2 weeks off on the tail end of my vacation so be it.
Do you live in Florida or are you traveling to the death zone willingly?

FunkMiller

I fully expect at this point that even vaccinated people will probably get covid and I feel like this is probably when it will likely happen.

Everyone will get it sooner or later. It’s inevitable. My gf cruised through hers two weeks ago though. Came to nothing more than a heavy congested cold. I dodged it completely. I’m sure it’ll get me eventually though. Not fussed. Vaccines clearly doing their job.

Covid is becoming more and more just like any other nasty virus in the U.K. now. As expected.

WoJ

...yes. That's exactly what I would expect from someone so clearly anti-vax, and unable to make a decent argument.

Do you fancy commenting on my question regarding the immunocompromised, and how they are being badly affected by anti-vaxxers?

Or do you just want to continue to make random insults, like a child sitting in its own dirty diaper?
No I don't fancy to comment because you aren't worth debating with. The irony of you of all people complaining about people throwing around petty insults is rich.

Not anti Vax either as I have been vaccinated for months, will get the booster if recommended by my doctor and think people should get the vaccine if able. Just tired of petty clowns like yourself claiming to be altruistic and caring about society when you're anything but.

Vaccinated people appear to be spreading the virus quite nicely. In the beginning the CDC said that the vaccines were effective at stopping transmission but whenever there were breakthrough cases the stock reply was always, "they didn't say the vaccines were 100% effective." At this point maybe the jab's effectiveness has worn off with time but it certainly ain't effective at stopping transmission.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Vaccinated people appear to be spreading the virus quite nicely. In the beginning the CDC said that the vaccines were effective at stopping transmission but whenever there were breakthrough cases the stock reply was always, "they didn't say the vaccines were 100% effective."
That was the reply because that was true. No vaccine ever is 100% effective. The most we've ever gotten is the high 90s. The fact that these new vaccines were so highly effective against the original strain of SARSCOV2 and were developed so quickly is a testament to how great they are. It was a massive achievement, historically speaking.

At this point maybe the jab's effectiveness has worn off with time but it certainly ain't effective at stopping transmission.
You're missing the nuance. It is effective at stopping transmission, just not 100%. Varying data from around the world estimates the effectiveness against the delta variant to be anywhere from 40% to 80% ish, give or take your age and how long it was since you first got vaccinated.

Data analysis shows that vaccinated people drop their viral load faster than unvaccinated people. Vaccinated people also neutralize their virus faster than unvaccinated people, which means they recover faster and are usually infectious for a shorter period of time. If you look at the per capita charts of unvaccinated vs vaccinated people from any country, the amount of vaccinated people catching a breakthrough infection is smaller by far.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Should be a requirement for public schooling
And there will be some tool that argues "BUH BUH BUH MUH RIGHTS!"

Completely forgetting that school already require certain vaccinations and have done so for decades.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Won’t it just be lumped in with all the other vaccines that are required for public schools? Our pediatrician already told us to do it for our kids.
There aren't very many in the 5-12 group other than the last couple boosters from infant/toddler Vax, the flu, and hpv if desired. I don't think there are any mandatory ones till college.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is it such a huge gamble though? I mean from a statistical point of view?

We know for a fact that catching the virus isn't a death sentence.
We know quite a lot about the risk factors for people who do catch it.

If someone is of a certain age, works out, eats healthy, maybe takes some supplements what kind of risk are they taking on when they refuse to vaccinate? When they refuse to wear a mask? You are saying they are risking their lives but not really quantifying it.

I see folks cycling without helmets all the time. People drinking too much, smoking too much, eating too much.
I don't know the risk factors there but I also don't really preach to them because it's not any of my business.

Is it really such a huge gamble?
You tell me.

Scenario 5: Current Best Estimate

0–17 years old: 20 dead per 1,000,000 infections
18–49 years old: 500 dead per 1,000,000 infections
50–64 years old: 6,000 dead per 1,000,000 infections
65+ years old: 90,000 dead per 1,000,000 infections

Do you want to take those chances? Keep in mind that these odds are calculated with current data that includes vaccinations and masks/social distancing/restrictions factored in. Get rid of those things, and the rate will increase. Also keep in mind that these are both vaccinated and unvaccinated people together, so if you are unvaccinated, and 30 years old, for example, your fatality rate is going to be higher than 500 and a vaccinated 30-year old will have a rate lower than 500.

If you are unvaccinated, current data shows that you are over ten times more likely to die than an unvaccinated person.

mm7037e1_HospitalizationDeathVaccineStatus_IMAGE_10Sept21_1200x675-medium.jpg

Kilau

There aren't very many in the 5-12 group other than the last couple boosters from infant/toddler Vax, the flu, and hpv if desired. I don't think there are any mandatory ones till college.
True but since Kindergarten starts at 5 they could add it in.

FunkMiller

Just tired of petty clowns like yourself claiming to be altruistic and caring about society when you're anything but.

Well, we certainly care more about people locked in their houses because they have compromised immune systems, than the douchebag anti -vaxxers you seem so keen to defend.

sinnergy

Banned for what?
Doesn’t matter .

The numbers are most likely deflated btw , and it’s closer to 1 million for the US, most numbers ww are deflated. As reports from half a year ago put the US around 900k back then.

And this is with all the measures , imagine without measures … would easily have doubled Spanish flu and maybe even 4 times , that’s why almost every country had heavy restrictions.

2 years ago it was : #justflubro

Last edited:

FunkMiller

We have to do this together.. that’s the real problem.. world wide btw

I‘d imagine we’ll be playing whack a mole with Covid for a good five to ten years, even after the developed nations have got it fully under control.

The sheer fact of the matter is that a respiratory virus like this isn’t going to go away, and it’ll keep rearing it’s head anywhere where vaccinations and sanitation aren’t that great.

Top Bottom