• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control: Ultimate Edition. Did People sleep on this?

Played the main game. Loved the gameplay and some level design. Story and characters was zzzaa tho. Still need to play the dlc.

Last edited:
Hated it, and somehow have it on Xbox, PS5 and PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was enjoying the story but gave up when I realized I was constantly lost/disoriented. Just too claustrophobic and confusing for me.

Wow, a lot of people who didn't care for the game here. I largely echo those sentiments though. My thoughts from elsewhere:

Ehh, kinda disappointed honestly after hearing so much good about the game.

Combat: Well, combat feels good. There are some cool abilities like telekinesis throws and flight. The environmental destruction is impressive. But, it just gets really repetitive after a while and I don't feel like they introduce enough new stuff to shake things up. There's some variety of enemies but most of them can be defeated in the same way. And my impression was that the Shatter and Pierce weapons were simply the best so I rarely used the other variants. Apparently I also managed to miss a "seize" ability that could have added some much needed variety.

Story: There were some interesting moments with Jesse's brother and what went down in their hometown. But in the end it just devolved into a mess that I don't understand, and I don't think I care enough to figure it out. There are a bunch of characters introduced but few of them seem to really matter. There's a lot of documents that flesh out the world but I didn't find most of them very interesting. I particularly don't care about reading about yet another weird object with half the document redacted. And coming directly from TLOU2, the way the story is told just felt very primitive.

Graphics: I give them props for the art directions being excellent and I really enjoyed the vistas. But again, it gets repetitive. It's all indoors so there is a lot of concrete and industrial stuff.

I don't like being too harsh on Remedy as they are such an underdog and seem to be constantly on the verge of bankruptcy (at least that's my impression). But a lot of their game design feels stuck in the past. Gotta say I enjoyed Alan Wake a lot more when I played it, but it's possible I was just less demanding back then.

SkylineRKR

Liked the game, managed to get the platinum trophy. Actually the only part I didn't really enjoy was The Foundation DLC.

RPS37

It’s wack.
i got many hours in and couldn’t handle the combat even after bumping the difficulty to super easy. Just not very fun and the map was a mess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom