• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control: Ultimate Edition. Did People sleep on this?

KiteGr

I'm playing it on PS5, so the loading times are small, and stutering is very rare.

The story is kind of "Men in Black" in the style of "Twin Peaks".
Things don't make sense at first. Most of the characters are weirdos. But the firther you go, the more you understand it.

The combat is very good, but could use some more enemy variety. Most of the enemies are soldiers, and those who are not are annoying to fight. It appears it wants me to constantly move, but i always get stucked in the geometry or fall off some ledge (usually to my death) whenever I try that run and gun.

The graphics are insanelly detailed, so much, that at first I would constantly look arround for clues, only to find out that most items are there to be thrown at. My only gripe is that it's often to dark, and Jesse seems to have some some cripling fear of flashlinghts.

I'm currently supposed to go beyond the maze in the Research department, and I feel I'm near the end.
Currently started doing the Alan wake DLC. I have the remaster of Alan Wake but I haven't Played it yet. Would I get spoilers if I play this DLC before it?

UPDATE:
And I've finished the main game. The ending suck monkey balls.
It's so bad, that i thought I did something wrong and got the bad ending. I don't know if this is sequel baiting, or they just run out of something.

Last edited:

KillaJamm

Orginally completed it on last gen and I loved it even back then. It's some of Remedys best work, the only thing that let it down was the shady upgrade path, but I got it for a £10 and it was even more amazing at 60fps.

Was okay, first half pretty nice when it's all still a mystery and the gameplay fresh in your mind but then it just drops the ball hard, gets very boring and the story never really goes anywhere.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Game is a blast. One of my favourite platinum trophies that I got this year.

And that Ashtray Maze moment.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Best game last gen, by quite a bit.

It is so unique, really. If I were Sony/MS and if there was any chance to get Remedy I WOULD FIGHT FOR IT! They brought a unique experience to me, at least, and I love unique games. I won't lie it did really freak me out with all the hissing that forced me to kill all the hanging people to shut it off, combined with the freaky bunker/cells of haunted materials. The enemies besides some bosses can improve visually, but overall it's an amazing game that should not be skipped.

Last edited:

Vognerful

I have it on PC and Xbox. Playing it on PC is like a eye candy with the amount of visual and stage design they implemented. I would put it next to cyberpunk.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It is so unique, really. If I were Sony/MS and if there was any chance to get Remedy I WOULD FIGHT FOR IT! They brought a unique experience to me, at least, and I love unique games. I won't lie it did really freak me out with all the hissing that forced me to kill all the hanging people to shut off, combined with the freaky bunker/cells of haunted materials. The enemies besides some bosses can improve visually, but overall it's an amazing game that should not be skipped.
Yeah, MS had them. But I don't think I care who has them, it's important, they actually made a game, which I was promised at the start of the gen, when you saw all those PS4 physics demos and then played the inFamous: Second Son. You know the physics, shit flying everywhere, destruction and stuff like that. Because from that game to Control, most games felt really static. I hate that. I am more of an animation/physics type of guy. I need the interaction. I sincerely hope for this gen, to improve stuff, because now, they don't have single excuse, CPU is powerful enough for a lot of Mayhem.

Also:

And I don't listen to a metal, but that scene was hype as fuck

tommib

That was a one and done game. I played it on PS4 pro. I tried to replay it on PS5 but saw no point. It’s a good game just not enough for a replay. The graphical upgrade is underwhelming in my view.

Filben

They didn't but it's not exactly that would pass as mainstream. It was well-received by critics and players alike, though. But it's not open world RPG paired with the weirdness isn't exactly that sells millions of copies. But I like that they stick to their unconventional stuff like Robert Eggers with his movies. We have enough of that conventional stuff anyways.

Regarding PS5 version: It has some issues with crushed blacks. You have to tinker with your settings (maybe TV, too) to correct it.

Flabagast

Closest thing to Bioshock we got last gen I thought, even more so than Prey.

The game is not perfect, it is maybe still too shy in terms of paranormal stuff, combat while very impressive becomes a little stale, and more could have been done in terms of storytelling besides flooding you with thousands of written notes. But still, very good and unique experience overall, and by very far the best game from Remedy since Max Payne.

Gandih42

One of the first games I tried out on my PS5. I really dig the premise and the setting but shelved it for the time being to focus on other games (Mortal Shell and currently Elden Ring).

Looking forward to going to back to it. I used to read a lot of SCP Foundation and I feel like Control is the closest thing to a high-budget realization of that we'll get.

Waited for the Series X version to be $20; I got it and played like halfway through it. Got disinterested. Same thing happened with Quantum Break. The problem with Remedy games is they usually have a cool gameplay hook, but then the level/enemy design doesn’t do much to shake things up over the course of the whole game, so it gets repetitive about halfway through.

Wildebeest

The shooting felt good on PC with mouse and keyboard. I'd only call it a truly boring game if you absolutely hate getting lost or backtracking in games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a boring game. Very boring and repetitive
Spongy enemies and the story never goes anywhere.
I was barely able to finish it

Last edited:

Valt7786

Amazing game, powers were fun, gun was a cool idea if a little dull. Loved the story and personally loved all the files talking about their shared universe and the objects of power etc. The Alan Wake expansion was just cherry on top for me. Pure chefs kiss of a game.

Aaron Olive

I'm playing it on PS5, so the loading times are small, and stutering is very rare.

The story is kind of "Men in Black" in the style of "Twin Peaks".
Things don't make sense at first. Most of the characters are weirdos. But the firther you go, the more you understand it.

The combat is very good, but could use some more enemy variety. Most of the enemies are soldiers, and those who are not are annoying to fight. It appears it wants me to constantly move, but i always get stucked in the geometry or fall off some ledge (usually to my death) whenever I try that run and gun.

The graphics are insanelly detailed, so much, that at first I would constantly look arround for clues, only to find out that most items are there to be thrown at. My only gripe is that it's often to dark, and Jesse seems to have some some cripling fear of flashlinghts.

I'm currently supposed to go beyond the maze in the Research department, and I feel I'm near the end.
Currently started doing the Alan wake DLC. I have the remaster of Alan Wake but I haven't Played it yet. Would I get spoilers if I play this DLC before it?
Nope I even got my plat, this game is so good but so short. nostalgic like psi-ops.

psiops-sq-1644003323270.jpg

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
not the best game design overall, but the combat is top notch, and what a feast for the eyes it can be on PC with RT on max.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
In progress currently, i think im at around 80% of the game now? telekinesis > all

tassletine

Awesome game. Has a conservative almost mathematical imagination, where the developers sort bent the plot around game mechanics.

You always got the sense of something watching you or there was some other universe there that was just out of reach. Like you were living in a dream where you couldn't quite interact with people how you wanted.
It owed something to The Evil Within I think. Superb atmosphere and evocative on a subliminal level, with all that great detail. I also think Returnal owes it a fair deal, although that game is more streamlined.

Its pretty boring. Never had an issue with it being too dark. Trying to finish it myself and watching the amount of people getting the trophies rapidly dropping after each mission should tell you everything.
Completely agree; the setting and the world were amazing but the protagonist, characters, story and script were utter crap.

Arioco

The gane plays and looks fine, but ai can't believe it doesn't support HDR. Remedy, what the hell are you thinking?

T-Cake

I preferred Quantum Break by far. I enjoyed Control but by the time I'd finished the main storyline I was burned out. I never did get to see what happened with the Alan Wake stuff.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Didnt it get nominated for Game of the year basically universally.
Hell im pretty sure it won GOTY 2019 at a number of outlets too.

I dont think people slept on it.

Its already joined my replay this game every year list.
Loved the fuck out of it.

NewChoppa

Banned
Heard little bits about it but didn't really know anything about the game until it hit PS+. Definitely a sleeper hit for me, I loved it

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The cherry on top as a PS5 player was the Dualsense making everything feel really kinetic and crunchy. One of the best implementations.
Don't get me wrong i loved the game but the DualSense integration was very lackluster especially compared to first party titles. Cool if you liked it but to state it "one of the best implementations" is hyperbole at best.

Top Bottom