• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control Review Thread

Fbh

Didn't see a thread yet:

maxresdefault.jpg

Platforms: PS4, Xb1, PC (Epic)
Release date: August 27, 2019
MSRP: $59.99

Metacritic: 81 Based on 43 Reviews
Open Critic:
84 Based on 111 Reviews

mighty-man.png

Review Quotes:

Easy Allies 9/10
Control is an incredible marriage of storytelling, world building, exploration, and combat. The obsessive attention to detail is bolstered by a superb ensemble cast and likable lead protagonist. The Oldest House is an astonishing place to explore, rife with unexpected turns and exciting battles that continually escalate in thoughtful ways. The performance has some room for improvement, but even now Control is a must-play.

Game Revolution 9/10
From its narrative to its world to its puzzles and combat, Control intrigues its players and invites them to think and rewards them handily for doing so; a true remedy for overly linear and coddling game design.

IGN 8.8/10
Control is set in an engrossingly weird paranormal world that I couldn’t help but explore. Jesse’s versatile psychic skills and main weapon make for thrilling ranged combat. And thanks to a strong supporting cast, a well-written script, and plenty of intriguing breadcrumb trails, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my adventure through the shifting rooms of Oldest House. Jesse’s personal story feels like an afterthought next to that, but there’s enough to Control’s world that I remain invested in uncovering every secret, even though the story’s over.

Game Informer 8.8/10
Control's intense firefights are fun, but they don't evolve much in the second half. Fortunately, its unsettling mood and explosive moments more than balance the scales

Gamespot 8/10
It's not often that a game invades my thoughts the way Control has. I'm at the point where I want to consume every last thing it has to offer. And if I'm honest, it also makes me want to go back and replay Remedy's past games, too. Sure, it's a faulty metroidvania in some respects, but there are so many exceptional qualities afoot that Control handily deflects any momentary ire. I can't wait to take part in discussions about the game, to see what others have figured out, and to better understand where it all fits into Jesse's story.

Digital Trends 7/10
Control feels like the first step in a bigger project for Remedy Entertainment. While it doesn’t reach its full potential in storytelling and there isn’t enough variation in the combat, the powers that are there are great and the creepy atmosphere complement the action well. Traditional single-player games that aren’t bogged down in level-gating or unnecessary role-playing mechanics are a rarity these days, and that alone makes Control worth paying full price for.

Push Square 7/10
There’s no doubting that Control is a good experience, but it’s not one that’ll go down in the history books. Its explorative and combat-focused gameplay is a major highlight thanks to abilities that give you the chance to get creative, but the unreliable framerate that goes with it puts a stop to the enjoyment far too frequently. This is most definitely worth playing, but that’s about as far as any substantial praise can go.

Video Reviews:

ACG:

IGN:

Easy Allies:

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Thanks for posting it Mista Mista
Sorry it was late all. I apparently had a completely different and very restrictive embargo and timeframe than others
Most welcome. No worries man, I’ll wait even after launch for those juicy reviews. Keep it up mate

Hostile_18

Banned
Thanks for posting it Mista Mista
Sorry it was late all. I apparently had a completely different and very restrictive embargo and timeframe than others

In the UK the reviews were less than half a day before release. Not sure why the publisher would do this for a good game. It's like they had little confidence in it.

Karak

Also FYI Also put an edit in the comments when I was talking about my 1080ti testing. Said with and meant without DLSS. 4k is just rough as hell in this game in particular as its GPU killer at times

Hostile_18

Banned
Looks solid, but watched some gameplay and the shooting seems rather odd, sometimes you cant even see whats in front of you.

You'll feel better knowing you can't see your enemies face after you fatally shoot them and they realize they will never get to go home to their family again.

Little Jimmy will have to celebrate his 5th birthday without his daddy because of your actions. Maybe his Mummy will invite "Uncle Jim" from across the road to come live with them. Just keep telling yourself your not breaking up a happy home, your creating a new one.

Last edited:
It seems that some critics didn't like the artistic approach taken in the game. This could've been in the high 80's if it wasn't for some mediocre critics playing the game. Sounds like a really good game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
this just makes it really strange that there heads sold a ton of shares before release like this was going to be a total bomb.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
this just makes it really strange that there heads sold a ton of shares before release like this was going to be a total bomb.
Unfortunately we saw many times great games that even got good reviews sold poorly for no good reason. Let us hope this doesn’t happen to Control and Astral Chain.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not a fan of Doors opening before I reach them, tiny nitpick I know.
I was originally worried about the visuals based on the trailers as the looked blurry and soft.
But it's pretty sharp and detailed on PS4 Pro

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
How does it play with a mouse & keyboard? In comparison to say, Max Payne 2, the only other Remedy title I've got for my PC.

Last edited:
Some say "The difference just isn't that big." Others "RTX is a game changer."

I have to go with game changer part - the framerate drops in half with RTX on.

ot: nice reviews so far. I liked QB.

Good video on and off

Besides the windows which seem bugged on off, they probably got to patch that. The difference just isn't that big.

It wouldn't surprise me if after 10-15 minutes of playtime most 20 series gpu owners turn off rtx in order to play at 4K instead of 1080p.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Great news. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. Love me some Remedy. I wonder if there is any Alan Wake easter eggs in this one like they did with QB?

Bigfroth

I started playing last night, Love it so far. The characters, story are interesting, The controls and gameplay feel good. I think the star of this game is the "Oldest House" the environment the game takes place in. The mood and atmosphere are great, can't wait to explore every corner of the Oldest House. Playing on PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom