• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

M.W.

Really good scores, happy I preordered the steel book now.

Interested to see them build on this solid base in the future.

“We got this covered “ gave it 40..... I really hate clickbait scores like that. What a disgrace.

They said it had no atmosphere either. Fucking lying sack of click bait shit stains.

stranno

It seems Remedy has gone in a lazy way in some rooms. When they could have used a baked effect.

5rptxZT.png

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm glad the reviews are positive, going to put my money where my mouth is and pre order the game tonight (the DLC edition).

Honestly though the publisher wants sacking. Hardly any marketing, confusion over what the game actually is, women streamers only, embargo less than half a day before release in the UK.

On a positive note please give us Alan Wake collection or Alan Wake 2! :D

Last edited:
Glad that this game is reviewing well and I hope it sells well too. Honestly a lot that has been posted on this forum the past few days about this game was embarrassing, Remedy is a very good studio and it shouldn't surprise anyone that they're able to deliver a good one. I'm absolutely buying this.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It seems Remedy has gone in a lazy way in some rooms. When they could have used a baked effect.

5rptxZT.png

So they fudged the basic reflections/shadows just to make the rtx on look better? How shocking, and this is coming from an RTX user. This and the low performance which every single fucking reviewer seems to ignore when it comes to this feature, just makes me want to ignore this game completely.

nowhat

D dark10x I know you personally have been busy at Gamescom, but DF has other staff as well - did you get a review copy beforehand? If not, I fear there may be some real performance issues. I guess I'll see for myself soon enough.

Last edited:

RespawnX

So they fudged the basic reflections/shadows just to make the rtx on look better? How shocking, and this is coming from an RTX user. This and the low performance which every single fucking reviewer seems to ignore when it comes to this feature, just makes me want to ignore this game completely.

Glass does not seem to reflect without RTX. I guess performance reasons, but there are reflections on many other materials.

DmEsUTw.png

Last edited:

EDIT - Ignore the paragraph below. I am an idiot and quoted the wrong person. Sorry

Some rooms? Lol. It's only 1 room that's like that in the screenshot and it's like that for story purposes. Majority of the game looks solid and far from that one particular that you spend like less than 10 seconds in the entire game.

Last edited:
I dont' want to offense anyone but I'm reading a lot of uncertainty in the lower rate reviews. Near the end of the Game I don't see how this could be rated less than 80%. But well, feel free to reduce the game to the subjective number some people feel comfortable with.

If you like SciFi, Mystery and ever wanted to play a game with X-Files feeling, you are right. Yes, the game has less story sequences than older Remedy games. The animations are clunkier than in Quantum Break and there are some minor bugs. Performance issues on consoles have to be patched out and this game needs HDR! But to be honest, the biggest issue of the past games - mediocre gameplay - was enhanced greatly. Control feels good, plays nice and makes a lot of fun.

It isn't perfect but far away from "solid". For me one of the best games I played the last years. And well, that's the point any review still stays a subjective opinion. No more or less.
Tô each their own, it's ok of you liked it that much :)

hunthunt

Banned
Im glad it turned out to be a better game than Quantum Break and a good game overall.

I hope that reflects in good sales, Remedy deserves it.

Last edited:

SALMORE

Got the game ! I've played for two hours , so far the story is great specifically the readable collectibles they're interesting and add a lot to the main story

gameplay wise its okay , i only unlocked two abilities , my only concern right now is the framerate drops ( during some battles ) and that most enemies die with one hit when use telekinesis which makes it too easy in some places

Mikey Jr.

Looks really interesting.

Having said that, I'm kinda on the fence because of the PS4 performance. I honestly might wait till they get a few patches out and maybe address it. I still have MH:Iceborne that I'm getting day 1, so I'm not in a super rush.
But it is something I really hope they can improve on.

nowhat

Little over an hour in so far (on a Pro with an SSD, FWIW) - there are some performance issues, but "Lichdom Battlemage!" this is not. Room for improvement, sure, but it's not terrible.

There are three things to complain about so far though, that Karak@ACG mentioned in his review:
  • The facial expressions/lip sync in cutscenes - yeah, it's not great (this has been mentioned pretty much in every review though).
  • The delivery of the "inner monologue" of the player character is not great, and there's a ton of it. Mind you, it hasn't been that great in any Remedy game - but we've come a long way since the OG Max Payne, there are some seriously good VAs nowadays.
  • Dat motion blur - yikes! Admittedly I haven't played QB, and I'm not categorically opposed to motion blur (as a matter of fact, I consider it something of a necessity in a 30fps game), but the implementation here is just not good. If it's a "feature" of the engine, I don't think it's necessarily something that can be patched, sadly.
But other than that, I have no idea what's going on in the big picture, which is nice (AAA space needs more weird). And one thing that absolutely deserves a thumbs-up is the fact that shooting free-aim (without holding down the left trigger, that is) works very well. This is not a given in a third-person shooter, and quite vital in one such as this where there's no regenerating health and you have to collect health pickups from deceased foes. I think I'll enjoy this, once I get over the technical issues.

Edit: FWIW this is also patch 1.02, which I'm assuming is the "day one" patch - as said, no terrible performance issues so far *knocks wood*

Last edited:

TitusTroy

seems like you really need a Turing card to get the most out of this game...by the time the game is released on Steam (12 months) there should be much better RTX cards out...is Nvidia going to release another Turing refresh or will Ampere be the next GPU release?...with RTX games really starting to take off I want to get an RTX card but really don't want to get these 1st gen Turing ones

HotPocket69

Banned
I love it already. The Kubrick/Lynch uneasiness combined with Lakes writing holy fucking shit.

But the gunplay man. The gunplay. Small example:

Treasure chest :messenger_open_mouth:

GOTY already. Don’t even have powers yet. They nailed the shooting so fucking HARD.

Remedy :messenger_smiling_hearts:

....please be bought by Sony :messenger_beaming:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got this over Collection of Mana you guys.

And I'm a big JRPG fan.

(then again, I've played Adventures of Mana PSVita, Secret of Mana iPhone, Secret of Mana PSVita, and a translated version of Seiken Densetsu 3).

I got this over Collection of Mana you guys.

And I'm a big JRPG fan.

(then again, I've played Adventures of Mana PSVita, Secret of Mana iPhone, Secret of Mana PSVita, and a translated version of Seiken Densetsu 3).

Not to get off topic but your not missing out on much........ I bought the digital version and the graphics options are ass for a $40 collection of 3 games. No CRT scan lines or smoothing options or anything. You can only change aspect ratios and that's it.

I have a SNES classic to so I pretty much spent $40 just for SD3.

SALMORE

i Just acquired the dash ability ! the background story behind the ability is both scary & hilarious 😀 make sure you read the files on it

Last edited:

GHG

I just started (PS4 Pro) and it already has that Kubrick/Lynch kind of uneasy tone and atmosphere. Fuck man.

I’m going to love this.

How's the performance on the pro with the latest patch installed?

I'm considering getting it for PS4 for now and then double dipping on PC at a later date once RTX has matured a bit and I have a compatible card.

HotPocket69

Banned
Since the map doesn't mark which keycard doors are locked and which can be opened, I highly suggest (and have been ) taking screenshots of the doors location with the map up on screen so you know where to return to once you get the proper card.

As soon as I got the Lvl 1 clearance I immediately went back to the area where the director's office is and a couple other places and copped some mods and goodies.

Eiknarf

Banned
Whoa!
I love it already. The Kubrick/Lynch uneasiness combined with Lakes writing holy fucking shit.

But the gunplay man. The gunplay. Small example:

Treasure chest :messenger_open_mouth:

GOTY already. Don’t even have powers yet. They nailed the shooting so fucking HARD.

Remedy :messenger_smiling_hearts:

....please be bought by Sony :messenger_beaming:

Whoa
Kubrick Lynch? Ok I gotta try this game
Very good reviews

Pardon my ignorance , what else has Remedy done ?

Top Bottom