• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Just bought the ultimate edition a few days ago during the PSN black friday sale mainly for the free next gen upgrade. Looking forward to playing the ps5 version+dlc once it's released early next year. Heard great things about this game

raduque

Playing this game via PS Now at the moment. Dig the gun play and all but man... the map.... What the fuck where they thinking? The game has one of the most bland level designs ever (everything looks the same) and they decide to give me this shit for navigation? At least give me some ingame arrows to find my way to the next mission if you are unable to implement a proper map. Holy shit Remedy... Did no one notice this during the development? What a joke.
Be lucky you even have a map. The designer didn't want one at all in the first place and it was added late in development.

Azaroth

So this was released on Game Pass for PC today. Was looking forward to playing tonight with ray tracing and DLSS. But...

The DLSS option is greyed out in the Display options. Says "DLSS requires an NVIDIA RTX GPU". Yay, I have an RTX 2080 Super. Anyone having the same issue, or any recommendations? I have the latest Windows 10 updates and latest Nvidia driver installed.

xrnzaaas

That wouldve worked..

Well, i'd of liked it.
Nah, lack of any map in a game with some metroidvania elements is always a huge pain in the ass. Personally I wouldn't have bothered doing a lot of the exploration in Control if I couldn't track where I've been and where I can find potential areas to explore. I think the current map is fine. It doesn't hold your hand showing you exactly where you need to go and it doesn't display collectibles, it just helps in general navigation.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Nah, lack of any map in a game with some metroidvania elements is always a huge pain in the ass. Personally I wouldn't have bothered doing a lot of the exploration in Control if I couldn't track where I've been and where I can find potential areas to explore. I think the current map is fine. It doesn't hold your hand showing you exactly where you need to go and it doesn't display collectibles, it just helps in general navigation.
After just replaying the UE to see how it performs i'm in total agreeance with you. I now remember just how much of a brain melter the levels can be :/

DustQueen

Banned
I don't know guys...seems like a good next gen port to me
Just remember it is not the game's fault it's "limitation of the platform"

MPUJy6g.png

VAEXuBh.png

gfNXQT8.png

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't know guys...seems like a good next gen port to me
Just remember it is not the game's fault it's "limitation of the platform"

MPUJy6g.png

VAEXuBh.png

gfNXQT8.png
Crazy that AMD HW has such a shitty de-noiser. I mean even though here is pretty rough, even by their abilities. Makes you appreciate nVidia even more.

raduque

Why is SSR so shitty in modern games? Control, RE2/3 Remakes, Cyberpunk. It's a grainy, low-res, short distance mess.

M1chl

Why is SSR so shitty in modern games? Control, RE2/3 Remakes, Cyberpunk. It's a grainy, low-res, short distance mess.
Low res, also I though this sort of shots show above are raytraced? Because it was smooth when I was playing it on Xbox One X.

FireFly

Crazy that AMD HW has such a shitty de-noiser. I mean even though here is pretty rough, even by their abilities. Makes you appreciate nVidia even more.
The denoising is done by the shaders, so it's up to the developer. Eg. on PC 6800 cards can use Nvidia made denoisers.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Im not impressed.

Im not sure what i was expecting from the upgrade but im not wowed
i am even ok with the 30 FPS.
but man the controls feel sluggish as hell.

i just tried it on pc again.. and yeah something is off in the ps5 version

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyone else unable to download the Ps5 version after purchasing the UE on ps4? Driving me nuts.

Normal BS with cross gen on PS5. You need to go to the Control Ultimate Edition in the store and buy the free upgrade (to the right of the screen). Then download it, but be sure to check the ”...” next to the download button to make sure it’s downloading the correct version.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned

The controls do feel better in the last gen version, just feels a lot smoother and that's even with motion blur turned off.

Bramble

I tried it this morning (played the PS4 version) and I'm not sure what you mean. Especially the performance mode let's you make headshots way more easy and the haptics and triggers really elevate the gameplay. Great stuff.

kuncol02

Banned
Low res, also I though this sort of shots show above are raytraced? Because it was smooth when I was playing it on Xbox One X.
But it wasn't. It wasn't as bad as there but it was still super grainy. All metal surfaces looked like they were casted in gravel molds.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I tried it this morning (played the PS4 version) and I'm not sure what you mean. Especially the performance mode let's you make headshots way more easy and the haptics and triggers really elevate the gameplay. Great stuff.
talking about gfx mode performance mode is just fine

gfx mode feels floaty af

Last edited:

M1chl

But it wasn't. It wasn't as bad as there but it was still super grainy. All metal surfaces looked like they were casted in gravel molds.
Well truth to be told, that's where I for first time in my life neededd a glasses and I was waiting for something I could settle for, so I might have some autosmooth-ing build into my brain. But it wasn't like this I believe, even tho, nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

kuncol02

Banned
Well truth to be told, that's where I for first time in my life neededd a glasses and I was waiting for something I could settle for, so I might have some autosmooth-ing build into my brain. But it wasn't like this I believe, even tho, nostalgia is one hell of a drug.
It wasn't like this because that's Cyberpunk level of brokeness IMO, but it was still super noisy.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Good thing you can download and play base version on XBox. Wasn't it compatible with auto HDR?
Thats what I've been doing, auto HDR makes the game look so much better than on the ultimate version. Ultimate version is just so dark in certain areas.

Normal BS with cross gen on PS5. You need to go to the Control Ultimate Edition in the store and buy the free upgrade (to the right of the screen). Then download it, but be sure to check the ”...” next to the download button to make sure it’s downloading the correct version.
Errr.. What?

Edit. Nope.. Can't even pick the ps5 version. What a fucking joke.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Man, the main protag voice actress is driving me up the wall. Sounds like a teenager.

Even changed language to Spanish to get someone else, but reading subtitles while playing is too distracting.

What were they thinking?

Love the crisp gameplay tho, and the single difficulty is nice knowing the game is perfectly balanced out of the box.

Playing on PS5/60fps

Last edited:
Started replaying Control on PS5. I platinumed it on PS4 but didn't play the DLC because I waited for nextgen update.

Man I didn't remember that the minimap sucks anus in this game. I forgot how to navigate in the Oldest House and I'm totally spinning around. Don't know how I managed to find my way around in the first playthrough.

Shmunter

Man, this is a fantastic shooter. Remedy really nailed it. It’s like different kind of Destiny.type of game but totally single player. Good sense of progression, awesome gunplay with the powers. Solid.

KIucTnY.jpg
P8ajEHW.jpg

Just 100 percent'd it on PS5. I love this game, wish it would never end. Sure, I guess I could keep playing the jukebox and arcade machine if I wanted to. I'll keep it installed on the SSD for the time being.

When this game launched I beat it on PC, but never played either of the expansions. Some brief thoughts:

I felt Foundation was somewhat underwhelming as a whole. I just didn't really get into the story of it and the environment was kinda lacking IMO. Also, the area/mission flow is kind of a slog at points. The "Collect all collectibles" trophy is a little annoying if you just missed one, which is possible, a couple are hidden behind/under small debris. That being said, it has two segments that are among the best in the whole game (The Chasm, and that underground chase mission)

AWE is awesome. I loved it. Pace is perfect, missions are perfect. Environment is a rehash but mixed well and with some nice visual flourishes Side missions great and easy. Easy trophies. Just great. Dug the story, dug the new recordings and reports. Dug everything in it.

Control is a great game, man. Great game. I love this game.

RCU005

I'm really enjoying the games so far. I just started chapter 4. However I think it needs three things:
1) Fix the aiming. It sucks even at 100% sensitivity.
2) Motion controls
3) Cover? Maybe when you get better powers is not needed, but at the beginning it's necessary.

I' still confused about the story, but the game is very fun! Obviously I don't know how it ends yet, but I already want a sequel.

xrnzaaas

I'm really enjoying the games so far. I just started chapter 4. However I think it needs three things:
1) Fix the aiming. It sucks even at 100% sensitivity.
2) Motion controls
3) Cover? Maybe when you get better powers is not needed, but at the beginning it's necessary.

I' still confused about the story, but the game is very fun! Obviously I don't know how it ends yet, but I already want a sequel.
To be honest I never felt like I needed a cover system in this game. There are plenty of big obstacles like pillars and large equipment you can hide behind to avoid ranged attacks and later on you'll unlock at least one cool power (don't want to spoil exactly what) which will make attacking from behind obstacles even less appealing. The best and the coolest way to fight in this game imo is to stay on the move and to use the environments and your powers to win.

Shmunter

Absolutely loving this game. Upto foundation DLC. The world, and most importantly the gameplay is crisp and finely tuned.

Playing on PS5, love how when your gun is low on charge the trigger firms up.

I hear ya, but I think they designed the combat around movement and balancing powers/ammo usage rather than cover mechanics. Especially when you can unlock recovering energy while shield and launch are active, health regen on certain ability kills, etc.

I'm really curious to have an answer to that question

Especially when the standard reflections look really good on PC and are either much worse on console, or entirely absent in some areas.

I started uploading a bunch of comparison shots between standard reflections on my PC vs the performance mode on PS5 and in some areas/rooms there are standard effects just completely missing on the console version. I was gonna post these side-by-side's in the DF thread but it's already a bloodbath in there so I just decided to move on.

My guess is that this is a port of the PS4 version, not the PC version, which is why there are so many missing reflections/effects around the standard environments.

Overall, the game still looks good on PS5 and plays great in performance mode but I will stick to my guns in regard to believing both XsX and PS5 should be able to run this a higher settings.

Luipadre

The foundation dlc so far is ass. Glad i didnt payed for it and waited for the PS5 version to play it for "free"

Top Bottom