• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control | E3 2019 Teaser.

somerset

Some devs dissapoint me so much, none moreso than iD. So much potential, but Carmack was so toxic when it came to the issue of game design.

Our Max Payne boys are another. Longer and longer for each game, and less and less reason for the delay, as new titles simply dissappoint when compared to current state-of-the-art work from everyone else. They try- and I'll always give their games a go. But what they do vs what they could have been- sigh.

Control is, of course, a quick-n-dirty reskin of the last disaster (the one where MS paid them to make a whole TV show whose episodes streamed between chapters of the game, boring everyone to the nth degree). And looks just as clunky. Clunky, for me, is the word that best defines their efforts- old school and clunky.

Remedy just seem to be stuck in the ancient past, with a lick of paint on their current engine that does pass muster at first glance, but then the truth hits. And cos remedy knows their gameplay is sh-t, they go instead for the visual gimmick, which is all well and good but doesn't compensate

That time travel last one, whose name escapes me, had an amazing in game sequence where time is rapidly advancing as one truly moves through the environment. Think 'the time machine' except one wasn't merely a passive sitting viewer. Yet no effort was made to make this gimmick more than it would have been as a cut-scene. *Worse*, as a cut-scene it could have been perfectly directed and scored. Instead I actually found it irritaing, even as I admired the coding and engine skill.

I'd put remedy's efforts against something like Dishonored, and suggest Arkane do better in every regard, with far less money and time.

Years ago, in max payne 2, there was that in game sequence with the gangster in the carnivale paper mache head, and it was excellent. But their growing inability to handle AAA gameplay content was showing even then. Alan Wake was the wake-up call. An insanely ambitious project on paper that was (for the time, effort and cost) a bad joke when released. Of course Remedy sold their soul to the consoles.

I mentioned Dishonored, but I'd put remedy's work against all the current crop from Beth- I honestly think that's Remedy's level, and shows how remedy falls short each time.

Top Bottom