• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez vs UFC 155lb belt offical for UFC 205 in NYC at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
He absolutely deserves it. He's the biggest draw in the sport, didn't take a sabbatical to cry away his loss, and didn't get popped for drugs. When he got humiliated against a bigger guy, what did he do? Came back and went to war.

If Connor doesn't deserve this, nobody deserves shit in this "sport". Fuck Aldo.

This is the kind of thinking that enables the UFC to put on clown shoes matchups like Bisping/Henderson.

Aldo was champion for 10 years. He deserved an immediate rematch as soon as he was back in good health. Instead, he was scheduled to fight for the interim belt on the same fight McGregor was getting a rematch for a second fight outside of the division he is champion of.

Then, after Aldo put on a CLINIC against Frankie Edgar of all people, he is still denied a rematch in favour of allowing McGregor to try his odds at capturing the belt of another division despite his first title being disputed by the interim champion, who now has to defend said interim belt against the next contender - which is a duty that ought to be incumbent on the champion.

This whole thing is stupid and unfair to everyone involved but McGregor. I love the idea of money fights in the UFC, and I love the idea of champions fighting champions, but if a fighter isn't the money fight himself, or their title is disputed, then they should have to earn it.

There is no reason the integrity of the sport can't coincide with money fights and super fights, but what the UFC is doing now is undermining the entire point of championships.

The Beard

I love McGregor but it's bullshit that his first fight at 155lbs will be for the title. I'm not really complaining though, because I'm excited as hell to watch the fight. The shit talking between Alvarez and McGregor is going to be amazing.

The card is ridiculous, I'm excited for every fight except for Miesha's. She squeaked out a win against Holm for the title, and got absolutely destroyed vs Nunez.

3N16MA

Banned
One of the most boring fighters at 155 imo. I'm totally down for that hype train to end one way or another

Some find him boring the same way some found GSP boring. I think it's impressive when those guys can impose their will on another fighter and nullify a game plan.

The way he ragdolls his opponents isn't boring though, we've seen him do some pretty cool shit.

This guy wrestles bears in his free time.

His slams are cool I agree

Some find him boring the same way some found GSP boring. I think it's impressive when those guys can impose their will on another fighter and nullify a game plan.

Weird thing is I loved watching GSP and really am not a fan of Khabib. It might be because he has pretty poor striking so it feels like its one of those things where you are just going to watch a wrestlefuck. At least during the times GSP was on his feet with his opponents he had some elements to his game there.

RK9039

Khabib needs to prove to everyone that he still belongs at rank number 1, too many people are critical of his streak. I think it's a fair criticism. MJ could be the streak ender.

The Beard

One of the most boring fighters at 155 imo. I'm totally down for that hype train to end one way or another

Yeah, if Khabib was a banger like McGregor he would've had a better chance at getting this fight. Dana doesn't want a wrestle-fuck main event for the first ever MSG card.

Eanan

Yeah, if Khabib was a banger like McGregor he would've had a better chance at getting this fight. Dana doesn't want a wrestle-fuck main event for the first ever MSG card.

People seem to forget that the UFC is not a sport organisation like FIFA where people will watch regardless and money will always be made.

The UFC needs the most viewers, and if that means not giving the title shot to a boring wrestler with a questionable streak, then so be it. Money is king.

And the Weidman fight is a go? Oh man. I'm thinking Chris by UD.

Conor-Eddie
Woodley-Wonderboy
JJ-KK
Weidman-Romero
Cerone-Gastelum

Good golly...

Great card. McGregor doesn't really deserve the shot at the 155 belt considering he hasn't even fought at 155 in the UFC but it'll be entertaining to say the least. Praying I can get tickets for this one...

Great card. McGregor doesn't really deserve the shot at the 155 belt considering he hasn't even fought at 155 in the UFC but it'll be entertaining to say the least. Praying I can get tickets for this one...

This is a pretty ridiculous notion. You're basically saying Mighty Mouse doesn't deserve the title shot against Cruz because he hasn't fought at bantamweight in a while, when in reality no one deserves it more.

There's no reason to make a champion run the entire gauntlet of top 10s in a new division. They're already champions, if they dare and can make a case for their shot it should be given to them.

This is a pretty ridiculous notion. You're basically saying Mighty Mouse doesn't deserve the title shot against Cruz because he hasn't fought at bantamweight in a while, when in reality no one deserves it more.

There's no reason to make a champion run the entire gauntlet of top 10s in a new division. They're already champions, if they dare and can make a case for their shot it should be given to them.

Conor has never fought at 155 in the UFC. Mighty Mouse has, however, fought at 135 before there was a 125 division.

Granted, I don't disagree champions shouldn't have to run the gauntlet of other division in which they want to capture another belt, but I do believe champions that do that should be undisputed champions of their own division first.

beasty

Look at it this way, It takes alot of skill to make an MMA fight boring.

Khabib is a little overrated, I think his stand up is very sloppy and wild. A good counter striker that knows how to bait and maintain distance will eat him up. The problem is if he can close that distance your fucked.

If Khabib stayed healthy, he wouldve been champion by now. His grappling and pressure is a problem for everyone in that division.

True champions obtain the title and defend it.

Gibbles17

One of the best cards ever. Can't wait. Who wants to bet that if McGregor wins, he'll be looking to move up and challenge the winner of Woodley/Wonderboy for the trifecta? He and Kavanagh mentioned three belts months ago as a realistic possibility. I'd bet anything that's still the plan. Bonus points if GSP comes back and wins the WW belt beforehand. Would straight up be the biggest card in history.

Aiii

So not worth it
Conor has never fought at 155 in the UFC. Mighty Mouse has, however, fought at 135 before there was a 125 division.

Granted, I don't disagree champions shouldn't have to run the gauntlet of other division in which they want to capture another belt, but I do believe champions that do that should be undisputed champions of their own division first.

He won the interim belt and then unified it by knocking out the forever champ in 13 seconds. He is the undisputed champ even if Dana put an interim belt in play six months after the unification. It hasn't even been a year, that interim belt is a joke.

The Beard

Will Conor be at the press conference? Khabib vs MJ might be on the card as well? Wow if so then this card is the best ever.

Replacing Tate vs. Pennington with Khabib vs MJ would be nice. Tate shouldn't be on the main card after that abysmal performance at UFC 200.

Look at it this way, It takes alot of skill to make an MMA fight boring.

Khabib is a little overrated, I think his stand up is very sloppy and wild. A good counter striker that knows how to bait and maintain distance will eat him up. The problem is if he can close that distance your fucked.

If Khabib stayed healthy, he wouldve been champion by now. His grappling and pressure is a problem for everyone in that division.

Eh he could become champion depending on the opponent. He's pretty overhyped right now. His only legit win of note is vs RDA the rest of his victories aren't against highly ranked / skilled opponents.

There are certainly guys at 155 that on the right night can beat him

Dysun

People still complaining about Conor calling the shots after seeing how much money and interest he drums up? lol

He won the interim belt and then unified it by knocking out the forever champ in 13 seconds. He is the undisputed champ even if Dana put an interim belt in play six months after the unification. It hasn't even been a year, that interim belt is a joke.

McGregor won the interim belt because Aldo was injured.

Nothing has stopped McGregor from defending his belt.

That 13 second knockout doesn't mean shit. It's in the past and it never meant all that much anyway considering anyone can get caught at any point in a fight. Aldo, being a dominant champion for a decade, was easily entitled to an instant rematch, and should have gotten it before McGregor got his rematch with Diaz.

It hasn't been a year and McGregor is already booked for his third consecutive fight outside of the division he is champion of - a division, mind you, that had plenty of active fighters worthy of title shots and still does.

This is the kind of thinking that enables the UFC to put on clown shoes matchups like Bisping/Henderson.

Aldo was champion for 10 years. He deserved an immediate rematch as soon as he was back in good health. Instead, he was scheduled to fight for the interim belt on the same fight McGregor was getting a rematch for a second fight outside of the division he is champion of.

Then, after Aldo put on a CLINIC against Frankie Edgar of all people, he is still denied a rematch in favour of allowing McGregor to try his odds at capturing the belt of another division despite his first title being disputed by the interim champion, who now has to defend said interim belt against the next contender - which is a duty that ought to be incumbent on the champion.

This whole thing is stupid and unfair to everyone involved but McGregor. I love the idea of money fights in the UFC, and I love the idea of champions fighting champions, but if a fighter isn't the money fight himself, or their title is disputed, then they should have to earn it.

There is no reason the integrity of the sport can't coincide with money fights and super fights, but what the UFC is doing now is undermining the entire point of championships.

On the other side of it, Conor had a belt opportunity lined up at 155 and may already have two belts if not for injury to Dos Anjos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom