• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez vs UFC 155lb belt offical for UFC 205 in NYC at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Nah, just 5 fights will be on the PPV, rest on the prelims. It's likely the 1st 5 fights on that list that will be on the PPV, though bout order might not 100% be set in stone yet.

Ah, I thought that might be the case. It's still a great looking card.

Conor is going to get wrestle-fucked for five rounds.
giphy.gif

Finally, McGregor gets what's owed to him. Not sure how they even sell Aldo as an interim champion when the actual champion utterly destroyed him by literally predicting his movements. This is a much, much more interesting fight than Conor vs Aldo again. Alvarez is such a talented guy, and he definitely stands a good chance at obtaining victory, especially via wrestling. I'm pulling for McGregor, but I wouldn't be shocked at all at Eddie winning. Dude is legit, regardless of the outcome.

Finally, McGregor gets what's owed to him. Not sure how they even sell Aldo as an interim champion when the actual champion utterly destroyed him by literally predicting his movements.
Aldo was champion for 10 years.
Conor never defended his belt, not one time.
Your logic KOed in the very first round.

Aldo was champion for 10 years.
Conor never defended his belt, not one time.
Your logic KOed in the very first round.
That fine, but Aldo was KOed in the first round, in record time, by movements Conor foresaw. It's not saying Aldo is trash, it's saying Conor destroyed him. That's just a fact. Aldo is great, but Conor killed him. Second fight could be different, but it's not nearly as interesting.

Hug him, Eddie
You know what's coming lol

That fine, but Also was KOed in the first round, in record time, buy movements Conor foresaw. It's not saying Aldo is trash, it's saying Conor destroyed him. That's just a fact. Aldo is great, but Conor killed him. Second fight could be different, but it's not nearly as interesting.
The fact is that Conor doesn't want to defend his title as I predicted a looooong time ago.
Why is that???
Why should he get a shot at jumping divisions and jumping right into the number 1 contender spot???
Money.
But does he deserve it??
Absolutely not.

The fact is that Conor doesn't want to defend his title as I predicted a looooong time ago.
Why is that???
Why should he get a shot at jumping divisions and jumping right into the number 1 contender spot???
Money.
But does he deserve it??
Absolutely not.

He absolutely deserves it. He's the biggest draw in the sport, didn't take a sabbatical to cry away his loss, and didn't get popped for drugs. When he got humiliated against a bigger guy, what did he do? Came back and went to war.

If Connor doesn't deserve this, nobody deserves shit in this "sport". Fuck Aldo.

Why is that???
Money.
But does he deserve it??
Absolutely not.

I disagree. After waiting 18 months for Aldo, Aldo has no right to complain about waiting now.

The plan was always to go straight after the LW title after getting the FW one. That the fight didn't happen wasn't McGregor's fault. And by agreeing to fight on 10 days notice against Diaz at 170, since Diaz couldn't make the cut in time he saved the event. It should also be noted that that fight was offered to both Aldo and Edgar before Nate, so the claim that he's ducking them is ridiculous.

So he lost. And then used all his bargaining power to get the rematch right away. I feel he deserved it after putting himself at a disadvantage in taking the first fight. Of course the rematch had to be in the same conditions as the first fight or he'd never hear the end of it.

So after that he went right back to the original plan. I'm also pretty confident uncle Dana made sure that making his next fight a defense of the FW title was a requirement for this agreement to take place.

So if he wins watch the Internet complain that he's ducking Khabib and chooses the easy fight against Aldo.

Given the way all of this turned out, I'm OK with him keeping his belt. If you don't like it you can blame Dos Anjos.

The thing is Conor has back to back 1.6 million PPV cards and the one before that did 1.2 - 1.3 million. Thats over 4 and a half million buys in his last 3 fights. He is the biggest draw across all combat sports other than Mayweather.

At this point Conor can ask for anything he wants. Not to mention this is the fight the majority of fans want to see. Khabib is good but doesn't draw and Conor already smashed everyone at 145 basically. This is the UFC debut finally in NYC and they needed a big fight and there isn't anything bigger than McGregor going for a 2nd belt.

I get the purist of the sport thing but you guys will probably get that regardless of what happens here. If McGregor wins he will probably drop the Featherweight belt and if he loses he will probably defend the 145lb title.

The thing is Conor has back to back 1.6 million PPV cards and the one before that did 1.2 - 1.3 million. Thats over 4 and a half million buys in his last 3 fights. He is the biggest draw across all combat sports other than Mayweather.

At this point Conor can ask for anything he wants. Not to mention this is the fight the majority of fans want to see. Khabib is good but doesn't draw and Conor already smashed everyone at 145 basically. This is the UFC debut finally in NYC and they needed a big fight and there isn't anything bigger than McGregor going for a 2nd belt.

I get the purist of the sport thing but you guys will probably get that regardless of what happens here. If McGregor wins he will probably drop the Featherweight belt and if he loses he will probably defend the 145lb title.

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't understand where the narrative that he's gonna drop the FW belt if he wins came from. While negotiations were being done for this fight the rumor was that McGregor wanted to keep his belt and he offered to defend it against Aldo early 2017.

Like why drop it right away? He feels there's no competition for him at FW, but he'll give Aldo his rematch. At least he'll offer it. I'm pretty sure he thinks Aldo is gonna pull out again, which is one more reason you couldn't hang the biggest card in history on his flaky ass.

Watch McGregor keep the FW belt for a while and then drop it to try and gain the welterweight belt or some other craziness like that.

DKehoe

Conor already smashed everyone at 145 basically

He's beaten two out of the top 15 ranked fighters at that division. What are you talking about?

I don't mind the fight being made. It should be fun and will make the most money, which are the reasons the UFC does things. But arguing that McGregor has cleared out the division is crazy.

He's beaten two out of the top 15 ranked fighters at that division. What are you talking about?

I don't mind the fight being made. It should be fun and will make the most money, which are the reasons the UFC does things. But arguing that McGregor has cleared out the division is crazy.

It's not that crazy though. The guy everyone is clamoring for him to defend the title against he already smoked in 13 seconds. Edgar lost a lot of steam to his claim by being completely stopped by that same guy. Then you have Holloway that McGregor already beat.

And who's next after that? A bunch of nobodies. Pettis could maybe enter the running if he does well on his next fight, but he didn't look all that at home at 145.

That is 100% incorrect. He beat 2 of the ones that are still ranked there. He also beat Mendes who was Top 3 when he fought him who only currently isn't ranked due to a failed drug test and when he beat Dustin Poierier he was in the top 10 and only isn't ranked at Featherweight due to moving up a weight class to 155. Frankie lost to Aldo so that fight isn't available and Conor starched Aldo in under 30 seconds. There is no fight to make for him at 145 atm.

There is no legit match up for him at 145 atm unless you want to feed him some random ass match up like Charles Olivera? The Division does not have a fresh match up / legit contender other than people he has already beaten like Aldo and Max Holloway

that card is stacked. can't wait.

dana white just said on espn that connor has some "personal stuff he'll announce" when he's ready...any ideas what he meant?

DKehoe

That is 100% incorrect. He beat 2 of the ones that are still ranked there. He also beat Mendes who was Top 3 when he fought him who only currently isn't ranked due to a failed drug test and when he beat Dustin Poierier he was in the top 10 and only isn't ranked at Featherweight due to moving up a weight class to 155. Frankie lost to Aldo so that fight isn't available and Conor starched Aldo in under 30 seconds. There is no fight to make for him at 145 atm.

There is no legit match up for him at 145 atm unless you want to feed him some random ass match up like Charles Olivera? The Division does not have a fresh match up / legit contender other than people he has already beaten like Aldo and Max Holloway

I get what you mean about the state of the rankings before and now but it's now that matters when it comes to matchmaking.

For right now fighting Alvarez at 155 makes sense but I don't think that means there's nothing left for him at 145. I'd like to see an Aldo rematch because I think a 13 second knockout doesn't necessarily tell us everything about that matchup. Dos Santos knocked out Velasquez in a minute but was then dominated over a long period of time by Cain in the subsequent two rematches.

If Edgar can build some momentum back up then I think he's a very interesting matchup for McGregor. Same goes for Pettis, although despite having won his last fight it feels like he's lost his momentum a lot more than Edgar has.

I get what you mean about the state of the rankings before and now but it's now that matters when it comes to matchmaking.

For right now fighting Alvarez at 155 makes sense but I don't think that means there's nothing left for him at 145. I'd like to see an Aldo rematch because I think a 13 second knockout doesn't necessarily tell us everything about that matchup. Dos Santos knocked out Velasquez in a minute but was then dominated over a long period of time by Cain in the subsequent two rematches.

If Edgar can build some momentum back up then I think he's a very interesting matchup for McGregor. Same goes for Pettis, although despite having won his last fight it feels like he's lost his momentum a lot more than Edgar has.

Oh yeah I don't disagree. I think there are certainly still big fights that can be made for him down the line at 145. I'm just more referring to the current climate. There just isn't a big top ranked Featherweight that really makes sense for him to fight right now. 2 of the highest ranked guys Aldo and Holloway Conor has already beaten. Conor openly said that if Frankie had beaten Aldo that was going to be the next fight he wanted but Frankie losing really messed that all up. And I think while the Aldo fight is super interesting its still too fresh. Conor did that 13 second KO not even a year ago. I think Aldo needs to get 1 or 2 more big wins before people will really be demanding that rematch.

I just think atm Conor fighting at 155 makes a good deal of sense because he is actually chasing big fights against dangerous people he hasn't fought before. That's really exciting for the sport more so than a rematch. I think if Conor is really devoted to both weight classes that they should do Aldo vs Holloway next and have Conor face the winner of that one. Sure its a rematch but at least both will have had a couple big wins before being thrown back in there against McGregor.

phaonaut

Khabib vs MJ is also being discussed, this card is going to be crazy. #thereal200

Dave Sholler @Sholler_UFC
Dana says on @SportsCenter that a fight between @TeamKhabib and @FollowTheMenace is in discussions...

DKehoe

Oh yeah I don't disagree. I think there are certainly still big fights that can be made for him down the line at 145. I'm just more referring to the current climate. There just isn't a big top ranked Featherweight that really makes sense for him to fight right now. 2 of the highest ranked guys Aldo and Holloway Conor has already beaten. Conor openly said that if Frankie had beaten Aldo that was going to be the next fight he wanted but Frankie losing really messed that all up. And I think while the Aldo fight is super interesting its still too fresh. Conor did that 13 second KO not even a year ago. I think Aldo needs to get 1 or 2 more big wins before people will really be demanding that rematch.

I just think atm Conor fighting at 155 makes a good deal of sense because he is actually chasing big fights against dangerous people he hasn't fought before. That's really exciting for the sport more so than a rematch. I think if Conor is really devoted to both weight classes that they should do Aldo vs Holloway next and have Conor face the winner of that one. Sure its a rematch but at least both will have had a couple big wins before being thrown back in there against McGregor.

I pretty much agree really! Having Aldo fight Pettis or Holloway (who has looked really solid ever since losing to McGregor) for example could establish a solid contender for McGregor. Also, if McGregor does win the 155 pound title and Aldo establishes himself as the top active 145er then Aldo moving up to 155 to fight him could be great. Those two not having to do such drastic weight cuts could make for a more exciting fight than it would be at 145.

Wow there are pictures on Twitter of people in NYC already lining up for the Press Conference which doesn't even start for another 5 hours.

MSG is going to sell out like instantly. I bet that is going to be an amazing card / atmosphere to attend Live. I'm bummed I won't be able to make it out to this one

Edit - apparently there are alread 300 people in line. Holy crap

Dr.Acula

Banned
That fine, but Aldo was KOed in the first round, in record time, by movements Conor foresaw. It's not saying Aldo is trash, it's saying Conor destroyed him. That's just a fact. Aldo is great, but Conor killed him. Second fight could be different, but it's not nearly as interesting.

You think a second fight will be another one-punch KO? I don't know how anyone says a flash-KO is a destruction. It's impressive, but not definitive. It's not like watching Holm work Rousey, or Gall work Punk, making their opponents seem silly for minutes on end, never being challenged once.

If Aldo was getting tapped for three minutes straight and then got KO'd I could see it, but we just don't know that Conor would run circles around Aldo and finish him before championship rounds.

Dana says Conor will have to give up one of his 2 belts if he wins at 205. Which one is up to him

So this fight's coming up and he wants to try to gain both belts. He will give up one of the titles after that fight in New York.

Also claims McGregor has a slight injury in his foot for this fight

"After the Nate Diaz fight, he injured his foot and the doctor basically said there's no real damage there, it's an old injury but you need to stay off your foot for a few weeks," White explained. "Conor and I were going back and forth about the foot and I said 'listen you're not a doctor' and he told me 'I know my body better than you do'.

"So I'll give him that and we made the fight. It's the reason we all love Conor McGregor."

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...urrender-a-title-if-he-wins-at-ufc-205-092716

He'll drop 145. He has nothing to gain by fighting Aldo again. Would be funny if he dropped both belts and asked for the winner of Tyron/Wonderboy
Wonderboy

i love that "hes going through some stuff he will share after the fight" line....

in case Connor loses we will make it clear he wasnt mentally 100% focused because of "stuff" going on.

Conor is the face that runs the place. I don't give a shit about the belts anymore so I'm glad we are just getting great matchups. Conor/Diaz or Conor/Eddie is far more interesting than some mandatory defense.

RK9039

Yeah I can't disagree with that.

The Eagle is still hungry though.

Fox318

Man those ticket prices.

I'd love to go but everyone I know I have to convince just to watch the UFC nevermind spend money to deal with a live event.

Conor is the face that runs the place. I don't give a shit about the belts anymore so I'm glad we are just getting great matchups. Conor/Diaz or Conor/Eddie is far more interesting than some mandatory defense.
Agreed and neither should anyone else, honestly. They provide a nice narrative to hype up fights, I don't see the point in pretending there is anything deeper than that.

It is getting old hearing people cry about the sanctity of the belts.

Not to mention Conor has done more for increasing fighter pay than anyone in the sport.

JJ, Woodley, and Eddie are going to get the biggest pay days of their entire career just because they are on the same card as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom