• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64 Original) vs. Conker: Live & Reloaded (Xbox Remake)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The remake is far better playable than the original, especially those shooter segments later on. While it is a bummer that it got censored (the original already censored some words) even further, it doesn't impact my enjoyment much to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_D

Outside of controls and graphics, I found the original to be massively better in every way.

The multiplayer in the remake, compared to the original, was such a letdown. They removed damn near every single option from the game. I've never understood why sequels/remakes get made with fewer features than the predecessor.

Codes 208

Censorship (or lack therof) was better on the n64, the animations are better but the xbox version looked like a legit 360 game and still looks insane for its time

also the controls are vastly better on the remake

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I had always paid attention to the game when it was in Beta phase, unfortunately in my country few copies of the game of N64 were released and it was almost impossible to get in its time, nobody knew where there were copies.

Later i was Play the Xbox version and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

It really does not matter to me if there was a cut from the original, the graphics were impressive in their time and in fact it is a game that I have to buy it in the future either on N64 or Xbox.

Xellos

Shame the Xbox version wasn't included in Rare Replay; would have been nice to have both versions. They're both technical showpieces for their platforms.

Fox Mulder

Shame the Xbox version wasn't included in Rare Replay; would have been nice to have both versions. They're both technical showpieces for their platforms.

Yeah, it’s still BC separately though. Conker BFD alone was worth the purchase for me when Rare Replay was announced.

Watched a chunk of the OP, and it's stunning to see how much emotion is lost from the remake due to the animations. Some of the model choices just seem better in N64, even though many were probably made with graphics constraints in mind.

TexMex

Gameplay is better on Xbox. But honestly - neither are very good games.

It really just lives in my memory is the strangest pivot a game has ever taken, to the point where many (myself included) thought it was an April Fools gag.

Cool that it happened, zero desire to play it again.

sunnysideup

Banned
the original on original hardware is fucking unplayable with that terrible framerate.

I imported conker back in the day. What a disappointment.

Kikorin

Great game, I enjoyed it a lot. Never tried the Xbox version, but on N64 it was insane and the terrible framerate was the norm back in the days, so was not a problem for the children version of myself.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Facial expressions are a big part of the game’s appeal (together with the awesome VA) and the remake botched them big time. Who cares about fur detail? Conker himself looks the part much better as a well-groomed, smooth-furred, wide-eyed simpleton. Makes his changes of expression that much more hilarious.

Also, the game is censored on XBox but not on N64. Let that sink in. What a genius move, to ruin the best scene in the game (The Great Mighty Poo) and more.

As a game, it was never that good. Its linearity means basically all you have to do is an endless series of Rare’s “do thing three times with increasing difficulty” ballet. Shooting scenes were a pain with the original’s framerate, too. Took me a long time to get out of that zombie-infested manor, and to escape the beach.

Banned
the remake was SOOO much better.
yeah yeah it's censored, so what? the game plays 100 times better and it looks fucking gorgeous! A friend of mine thought it was an Xbox 360 game when he came. over while I played it via back compat on my 360.

it's a great remake

Polelock

Conker: Live & Reloaded was one of the first Xbox games I bought. I loved every minute of it. For its time, it still holds up as a beautiful and fun game. I really miss playing it. I purchased it for my One X and I think it looks great. Will be revisiting it soon.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
yeah yeah it's censored, so what?
It’s kinda like the scurrility is a big part of the game’s identity, and censoring it on an all-American console when it appeared uncensored on a Nintendo console in the early 2000s is one of the most spectacular own goals in the history of this medium.

Conker‘s BFD is about fart noises, off-camera rough sex between a drunken bee and a big-breasted flower, getting drunk and pissing on devils to douse their flames, Conker mishearing a word as “fellatio”, swearing, boobs, a big pile of shit singing with a tenor voice as a boss fight, and anything and everything getting gratuitously butchered because why not. Censoring the game’s swear words is like removing the awkward stuff from Metal Gear Solid games.

Also, congratulations to Microsoft on boasting about buying Nintendo’s most successful second party of the time and censoring the first big game they bring on your console.

tylrdiablos

CBFD on N64 was the first game I played on a surround sound set-up.
Playing the Beach map with rocket/mini-gun fire whizzing over your head was incredible.

Getting back on topic... I wanted to like the Live and Reloaded version, but the censorship was just bizarre. I genuinely feel it removed a lot of the humour.
I realise you sell less copies if your movie/game has an 18/AO rating but this isn't a kids game, it's designed for 18+/adult audiences!
conkers bad fur day money GIF

Maybe we'll get a an uncut version from Microsoft one day.

Conker Live and Reloaded is just soo easy on the eyes! And the updated music is superb. I've played it countless times and love every single minute of it!! Except for the lava surfboarding lvl.

Last edited:

JRW

So many little touches are missing from Reloaded vs N64 version and the difficulty was dumbed way down on Reloaded as well. I wrote a huge comparison rant on a forum several years ago when both games were still fresh in my head but the forum no longer exists :(

Rran

I never played Reloaded but played the heck out of BFD. From the first frame, the differences are striking, and not in a good way. Compare Conker's vicious glower and crooked sneer on the 64 throne to his generic angry eyebrows and listless posture. And the gulf in animation quality just continues from there.

It's not that Reloaded looks bad, as it's definitely cleaner and smoother, but it's very lifeless in comparison, at least judging from this vid. I did like the new gag with the gargoyle though.

Last edited:

Romulus

The character models and much of the texture work looks well over generations ahead of the N64 version.

Top Bottom