• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan Exiles Early Access |OT| You shall be my Thrall

tsXHLYV.png

of5fW24.png

Developer: Funcom Oslo
Publisher: Funcom
Director: Joel Bylos
Producer: Lawrence Poe
Platforms (digital only):
• Steam
• PS4
• Xbox One
Early Access release date:
• January 31st - Steam - Worldwide applicable regions
• Spring 2017 - PS4 & Xbox One - Worldwide applicable regions
Genre: Sandbox Survival
Modes: Online multiplayer (100) + PVP, offline single player
Mod support: Yes (Steam Workshop)
Language subs:
• English - full audio
• French
• German
• Spanish
• Japanese
• Korean
• Polish
• Portuguese-Brazil
• Russian
• Simplified Chinese
• Traditional Chinese
Price: $29.99
Official websites:
https://www.conanexiles.com/
http://blog.conanexiles.com/en/

Editions:
• Standard (digital)
• Barbarian (digital)*
*Only the t-shirt is physical

• Steam store page
• Wiki (Gamepedia) link

System Requirements:
Minimum
OS: Windows 7 64 Bit/ Windows 8 64 Bit/ Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: Intel Quad Core i5 or AMD equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (2GB) or AMD equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 35 GB available space

Recommended
OS: Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 8 64 bit / Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: Intel Quad Core i5/i7 3.3 GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti/970 (High settings) and 1070 (Ultra settings) or AMD equivalents
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 35 GB available space

pOGjx4l.png

You play as a condemned exile, crucified in the burning desert. It is Conan himself who cuts you down from the cross and frees you. Conan continues on his journey, but you must now try and survive in the harsh Exiled Lands. An enigmatic serpent bracelet has been placed around your wrist. It will kill you if you try to escape by crossing the huge Cursewall surrounding the Exiled Lands. The Cursewall is a powerful magical barrier which cuts you off from the outside world. Who has placed the bracelet around your arm? Why have you been exiled to this place for your alleged crimes and not just executed on the spot by those who brought you here? The Exiled Lands are full of mysteries and as you struggle to survive you can also strive to uncover them.

But you are definitely not alone in the Exiled Lands. Large groups of exiles have banded together and formed dangerous factions. The Yog worshipping Darfari cannibals will be among the first you meet. Along the eastern river you can find thieves and pirates who fight under the banner of The Black Hand. The bandits called The Dogs of the Desert lay claim to the lands further north with their bestial ways, and to the west you can find a sprawling city made by Stygian mercenaries and relic hunters who hunt for the treasures of old. Many secrets lie buried beneath the sands and in deep caves. Explore where you dare, but beware of the dangerous creatures which lurk in the dark places of the world. Tunnels and temples built ages ago might have been abandoned by their former inhabitants, but their riches and mysteries are still well guarded by new terrors. Every place filled with dark magic or every battle with demonic or undead creatures will leave you corrupted and weakened. So make sure to have dancer thralls in your camp which can entertain you and remove the corruption.

5CPRTiH.png

• SURVIVE THE BARBARIC WASTELAND
In the world of Conan the Barbarian, survival is more than being well-fed and hydrated. Here you must weather scouring sandstorms, save your mind from being corrupted and going insane, and fight vicious monsters from the darkest holes of the earth.

• BUILD YOUR LEGACY IN A VAST, SEAMLESS WORLD
Journey through a huge, seamless world filled with danger and opportunity, exploring everything from sand dunes to towering ruins. Harvest resources to craft tools and weapons, then build everything from a small settlement to entire cities.

• DISCOVER THE DARK HISTORY OF ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS
Explore shadow-haunted ruins of ancient civilizations and discover great treasures and knowledge. Learn about the people who inhabited this world before and what led to their demise through inscriptions, wandering NPCs, and the environment itself.

• CALL UPON THE POWER OF THE GODS
Cut out the hearts of your enemies and sacrifice it upon the altars of your god to earn their blessing. Summon and take direct control of huge, towering avatars and wreak havoc on your enemies as you crush their homes and drive them from their lands.

• DEFEND YOUR LAND WITH AN ARMY OF SLAVES
Enslave the criminals of the exiled lands and force them to join your cause and defend your territory. Put them through the grueling Wheel of Pain to break their will, then turn them into archers, crafters, entertainers, and more. Find rare thralls for the greatest rewards!

• DOMINATE YOUR ENEMIES
March forth to war against your enemies, use explosives and see their fortifications crumble to dust, then unleash your savage fury with brutal attacks that will see heads rolling and limbs flying. Find or craft a wide range of weapons and armor.

• PLAY TOGETHER OR ALONE
Play alone locally or fight for survival and dominance in persistent multiplayer on public servers. You can also host your own server and invite others to join you in a world where you have full control of the rules and settings. Want to play with just handful of friends? Try co-op mode!

• CONTROL YOUR EXPERIENCE
When playing alone locally or on a server you are the administrator of you have access to a range of in-game tools. These allow you to change progression speed, spawn monsters, turn yourself invisible, deactivate avatars, and much more. Be the dungeon master of your own server!

• PLAY WITH MODS
Download Conan Exiles mods directly from the Steam workshop to customize your game experience. You can also download the custom Conan Exiles Unreal Editor and start creating your own!

Character creation:
You begin by first choosing to play as a male or female. You choose your race, which are races used from the Conan lore from the novels and are only aesthetic changes (with backstory for RP'ers). Next is religion, which you can change after leaving character creation, and is basically your "stat boost" when beginning the game. You might have +5 in x stat, or begin with y equipment. If you decide to change religion during game, you will have corruption added to your character, who will eventually be driven mad should you not cure your corruption. You can cure corruption by visiting dancers/strippers. After that is your character's voice, which is beyond battle cries and such, as your character speaks sentences during game as the story allows. Head options, then, is self-explanatory. They have streamlined the way in which you customise your face in that you can only pick from pre-defined selections, however, the developers have promised there are more in the works and they will look 'better'. With head, you also have hair, eyebrows and cosmetics, which are stuff like eye shadow colour. If you're still not satisfied with the pre-defined heads, the 'face details' option allows you to fine tune individual bones of the faces. Body features, finally, allows you to adjust your character's height. If you're playing as a female, you can adjust their breast size, males have an endowment metre.

Crafting:
There's alot of crafting in this game. You will craft weapons, armour, items, furniture, buildings, materials and more. Weapons have durability, meaning, the more successful blows you hit, the more the weapon degrades so you will need to repair them. Constructing buildings works similar to Fallout 4, you select the desired object in your inventory and it will display a hollow preview in real-time before you make your final choice. Appropriately connected structures will snap together and you use the mouse scroll to change its orientation. Should you want to demolish a block you've placed, you will need to hold 'e' and demolish said block, which becomes destroyed with physics and you'll gain back half the materials that went into making that object. Furthermore, to further protect your construction from attacks or robbery, you will have to place foundation blocks, which act as the base upon which you build further blocks on top of or next to. In addition, you can upgrade buildings from tier 1, to tier 2 and tier 3, with the higher numbers representing further protection from damage.

Combat:
Gameplay is played from either 1st or 3rd person, there is full body awareness and you have a multitude of tactics available to you. Go in 1 handed, dual wielding, 2 handed, a sword, hammer, spear, axe, dagger, bow, shield perhaps? Sorcery won't be available during the initial Early Access release period but the developers are planning to add that in further down the line along with the appropriate(s) religion. If your attacks are fierce enough you can break the enemy shield and even chop their limbs off in a bloody mess. You can also interchange the left and right mouse clicks to change stances should your weapon in hand allow it.

In addition to killing other players, NPCs and mobs, Conan: Exiles has this distinct feature known as 'Avatar', and your religion may play a role here. Each player can have an avatar and you may work towards completing the perquisites to summoning one to your game - and yes - killing other players, NPCs and mobs with them. They are also big and powerful enough to destroy entire player-made buildings, so do you see that town that must have taken dozens of hours to build? Well, why not knock it all down like jenga? But there is a catch, of course, balance needs to come into play. The way it works is that you need to have reached a certain "rank" per se in the server, I don't have confirmed info as to what this means, but it's probably things like doing quests, building, killing, levelling up etc. Once you reach this legendary state, which is meant to be difficult to reach anyway, you can summon an Avatar provided you know what site the Avatar demands to be summoned from. Once you found it, and begin to summon, there is a timer that counts down until you successfully summon it; allowing players to hunt you down whilst you're vulnerable performing the ritual. Essentially, you as the player will be highlighted on other players' maps, so summoning an Avatar will expose your location. If you still manage to succeed that, then congratulations, prepare to destroy everyone and everything! Though, with enough firepower, other players can take you down.

World:
The world is a sort of enemy by itself in that you'll go through a day and night circle, with different spawning enemies depending on the time of day, and harsh weather conditions such as the sandstorm that can kill you should you be too close to it and ill equipped. If you explore, you may run across bandit camps, caves full of undead, ancient tombs with hidden powers or a nice relaxing lake to swim around in.

Survival:
Like most survival games there is a system that keeps you in check, constantly scavenging for more and more and this game is no different. There is a hunger and thirst system that you'll need to keep up or face death - which will deplete to starving and dehydrated. Another status effect is repairing, which shows how well maintained your equipment is. There is weight, so the more items you collect the more you'll be weighed down and the slower you'll move, hence, draining more stamina. Stamina is exhaustion, the higher your stamina skill is the more you can run, capiche? In the future the developers will be adding the burning & freezing temperature status, injured & bleeding and blindness.

Videos:
Announcement trailer
Funcom developer stream #1
Funcom developer stream #2
Funcom developer stream #3
Funcom developer stream #5
SURVIVE trailer
Cinematics trailer

FAQ:
Q. Is there nudity in this game?
It wouldn't be a Conan game without it, so yes, like Age of Conan this game will feature it (NSFW example). During server options, choose [Yes] or [No] for 'nudity allowed'.

Q. Can I ride mounts?
Not for the initial release, the developers have stated an interest in making rideable mounts a thing later down the development map.

Q. Can I play as Conan?
No, but you can make somebody who is like him, since Conan frees you from your shackles at the beginning of the game.

Q. How big is the map, is it open world, is there more than just deserts?!
The size is "around 53km²", it's open world and the majority of the landmass is desert. Having said that, it's not all desert, there're plenty of trees, lakes, ditches, caves, ruins, sinkholes, stone flooring, etc.

Q. What is this Thrall system I've been hearing about?!
You, the player, can capture NPCs and literally drag them back to a base of yours to conscript them into permanent slavery. They will operate your base for you, but you will need to defend them from hostile attacks should you want to keep them.

Q. What about controller support?
There will be full controller support.

Q. Will there be microtransactions/subscription service/pay-to-win?
Nope.

Q. Can I do RP servers?
Early Access won't officially feature RP rules upon initial release, but you can certainly name your server to have the RP tag.

conanexiles-860x280.jpg

Good luck out there, Exiled!

I'm a sucker for open world survival games. They all lack either direction or polish. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Combat looks like it could be fun. Nice OT. Subbing.

ZiZ

Only open world survival game I could see myself playing.
I don't play early access games, any idea if this will stay early access for a long time or is there an expected release date?

Not usually one for survival games, but this one looks really interesting. Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Looks interesting enough. Watched a bit of gameplay. Looked at some screenshots.

Why's the UI look like such absolute shit though? I understand early access, but that's like a really easy aspect of the game to get right considering everything else that goes into it. Hope it runs somewhat well.

Neat that it's using UE4 though. Hopefully it doesn't run as poorly as Ark.

Edit: Combat also doesn't look all that impressive, along with the generic blood.png that shows up on the screen and fades out. Legit looks like a really late attempt at cashing in on the success of Rust, Ark, etc...

4Juh2sJ.gif

Riptwo

The sacrifice and thrall systems are antithetical to the reasons that I like the Conan character. I don't want to play a Conan game to be a superstitious slaver, and this seems like it's a waste of the license.

The sacrifice and thrall systems are antithetical to the reasons that I like the Conan character. I don't want to play a Conan game to be a superstitious slaver, and this seems like it's a waste of the license.

Only NPCs can become Thralls, you drag them with rope back to your base. Players are still very much the 'heroes'.

Riptwo

Only NPCs can become Thralls, you drag them with rope back to your base. Players are still very much the 'heroes'.
That's what I'm referring to; Conan isn't the type of character to enslave anyone. He's more likely to murder any slaver in his path. If a core game system involves player characters literally dragging prisoners back to a base for conscription, then you're just playing another petty villain character and Conan should have just left you on the cross when the game started.

That's what I'm referring to; Conan isn't the type of character to enslave anyone. He's more likely to murder any slaver in his path. If a core game system involves player characters literally dragging prisoners back to a base for conscription, then you're just playing another petty villain character and Conan should have just left you on the cross when the game started.

You can still kill Thralls even if they belong to another player. Also about playing as Conan:
you make your own character, Conan rescues you at the beginning for reasons not yet explained, but there should be a reason why he would do this to you.

Meh, point is you can enslave (thus becoming a slaver) and/or kill slaves (Thralls) or ignore the system altogether. The only odd thing is what I mentioned about Conan just now and how he fits in the game.

Riptwo

If the game ends with Conan attacking your city, freeing your slaves, killing your evil god and destroying its monuments before strangling your character at the top of a flight of stairs, I'll absolutely take back my criticisms.

Edit: I'll stop disrupting the topic with this, but it just seems that the license and gameplay systems are at odds. It's like licensing Indiana Jones to make a survival game where you join the nazis and breed snakes.

HEADS UP: Twitch streams are now live by people who have been given privileged access to the game, seems like the devs did not have an NDA afterall.

Game is on the front page of Twitch with over 73,000+ concurrent viewers at the time of this typing, and it's rising! This game might be a sleeper hit, guys.

This game has me super hyped. I never really got into rust or Ark but the total lack of assault rifles definitely helps.

Yeah, same. I bought ARK over a year ago and despite its poor performance at the time I couldn't get into it as much as I wanted because it just felt like a Far Cry game at times. The Conan universe looks unique in comparison to other survival games, imo, no zombies or shoot banging them every 10 seconds.

Basketball

Nude characters

First person boob pov view
nice butt, full frontal ... wow

twitch chat going insane

dude probably just sold 40000 copies
never heard about this game
will checkout

FULL CONTROLLER SUPPORT AND MODS/SOLO GAMEPLAY

SOLD SOLD SOLD

I can't judge Exile sins I haven't played it or Ark like games in general and that obviously it has it's fanbase and yet.

If it didn't have the Conan name I wouldn't even bat an eye. Why does Funcom insist on chasing trends and not doing something that suits them better where the world and story is at the centre?

Haven't played The Park but at least they tired something different than another MMO.

Hagi

So how's reception so far?

I WANT one of these to finally be good, but I'm not buying in unless WoM is good.

It looks pretty similar to what I've seen from ARK but I've yet to play any of these types of games to offer any great insight. I might give it a try tomorrow I've always wanted to get into a building/survival game.

Burt

Looks a lot better than I had thought it would at EA launch. I'm not really a fan of survival games, but the higher end stuff they've showed off here looks pretty great, so the game has my interest. Seeing that it isn't a borked mess at this point is a pleasant surprise.

CohhCarnage's stream is a pretty great informative look for anyone for something beyond a T&A run. He just
came across an enormous tomb that had some massive magical tablets that spoke to him about a dungeon.

Gives me hope that the narrative/atmospheric quality that Funcom delivered on in The Secret World might carry over.

One thing I hope they get nailed down quick, if they haven't already addressed it, is allowing character progression to carry over as the game gets updated. I bought We Happy Few early access and the first few updates they did always wiped character progress until a much later fix. With games like this frequently seeing patches it's annoying to restart over and over.

Gitaroo

is there controller support on the current build? I move my pc to the liviign room, using mouse and keyboard is basically impossible now.

Compsiox

Banned
DAY 1. Looks like a lot of thought was put into this game. They're not just releasing it as a pile of shit on Early Access.

Looks like pretty standard survival game so far, like a mix between Reign of Kings and Arc.
Apparently performance seems to be pretty good and game seems further along than most early access survival games.
I'm looking forward to seeing some of the later progression. The summoning/sacrificing, 'raid bosses' and building stuff looked pretty interesting in the trailers. I can see roleplay combined with PvP having a lot of potential.
Game goes all out with nudity. Saw a female character swimming with the cam from behind.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Fantastic OT Plump, thank you! This has been on my radar for awhile but I have sworn off Early Access and only buy retail releases. Hopefully it will not be in EA long. Sounds like they have fantastic lore and play mechanics. Anyone know what graphics engine they're using?

Fantastic OT Plump, thank you! This has been on my radar for awhile but I have sworn off Early Access and only buy retail releases. Hopefully it will not be in EA long. Sounds like they have fantastic lore and play mechanics. Anyone know what graphics engine they're using?

Glad you like it. The game is being developed with Unreal Engine 4 and they plan to be in Early Access for around 1 year.

Simo

Definitely getting this when it hits consoles. I've never really delved in the survival games but I love the Conan IP.

Poor form on the Ark developers. They're jumping in chats on Twitch streams for this and slamming it, calling it a "Ark mod".

Things are getting more interesting:

Building altars allows you to build items exclusive to your specific god.

You can create tools to capture others (only non players right now) to enslave them and have them work for you. There are legendary NPC's who can act as guards.

antonz

Looks interesting. Was watching a streamer I know. She died and had to swim across water to get back to her stuff. Holy vagina. She quickly changed camera angles lol

Top Bottom