• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm starting my reading of Claremont's X-Men run and Giant-Size X-Men most certainly wouldn't fly today. I know the X-Men are jerks, but I was surprised with how mean spirited the story was. This issue wasn't written by Claremont so I'm curious to see what his writing is like.
Bruh wait for the reading club to start this Tuesday

Civil War 2 #6

Alright. I'm about to say something super controversial, and bear with me, but:

I like this event. Quite a bit. I'm dead serious. I know I had issues early on, but I've been warming up quite a bit as time has gone on and now I've reached the point where I genuinely enjoy it. Maybe not as much as a lot of other books that Marvel is putting out, but it has grown to the point where I look forward to reading it. And yeah, I have my issues with it. It does play like a forced event, and the way it has affected a lot of books as either been inconsequential or poor. So when it comes to talking about this issue, I'm going to say that I enjoyed it. I really did.

We have a lot of emotions flowing, and not a single moment comes off as disingenuous.
Not even Carol. That's right. I think Carol is completely believable and understandable as to why she wants to detain Miles. In the last issue, we saw Carol as a person who immediately went for the gun on this. But in the beginning of this, we see her struggling a bit with that, and she makes a valid argument for why they should detain Miles and it feels, well, genuine. By detaining him, they could keep him and figure out what's going on. There's never been an event like this regarding the visions, and so this is a unique scenario, and I think Tony genuinely won her over a bit in regards to the visions not being stable and convinced her that maybe this isn't working out all the way.

Now the real assholes here are the Inhumans and fucking Steve Rogers. The Inhumans have always been more isolationist regarding the rest of the MU, so to immediately reject Carol and bail isn't totally out of character, but it seems too abrupt. Medusa has been forging a stronger friendship with Carol over the past year or so and for her to simply say "No" and bail seems incredibly callous and abrupt. But on the other hand, they're tired of this shit and want to figure out what the hell is up with Ulysses, which clearly cannot be anything good. And Steve...well, that should speak for itself. Disregarding everything happening outside of this core book, he pulled the Rhodey card on Carol. Now, this is a card we've seen pulled on her that's been a rather low blow, but a lot of the time I've been fine with it even though it's an extreme way of hitting home a greater point. In this case, Steve was just being a fuck and used it to distract her so they could get away. And goddamn, did that work. Can't really blame T'challa. He makes a valid point to Tony that the visions have been going both ways.

Honestly, I can't wait to see what happens next issue. I really can't. I want to see why
Miles is at where he's at. My bet? That whatever the hell is possessing Ulysses is now directly manipulating others to carry shit out. It's the only thing that can explain why a completely devastated Miles would bother going states away in order to be caught (he's not an idiot).
Good issue.

Messi

Civil War 2 #6

I like this event. Quite a bit. I'm dead serious. I know I had issues early on, but I've been warming up quite a bit as time has gone on and now I've reached the point where I genuinely enjoy it. Maybe not as much as a lot of other books that Marvel is putting out, but it has grown to the point where I look forward to reading it. And yeah, I have my issues with it. It does play like a forced event, and the way it has affected a lot of books as either been inconsequential or poor. So when it comes to talking about this issue, I'm going to say that I enjoyed it. I really did.

We have a lot of emotions flowing, and not a single moment comes off as disingenuous.
Not even Carol. That's right. I think Carol is completely believable and understandable as to why she wants to detain Miles. In the last issue, we saw Carol as a person who immediately went for the gun on this. But in the beginning of this, we see her struggling a bit with that, and she makes a valid argument for why they should detain Miles and it feels, well, genuine. By detaining him, they could keep him and figure out what's going on. There's never been an event like this regarding the visions, and so this is a unique scenario, and I think Tony genuinely won her over a bit in regards to the visions not being stable and convinced her that maybe this isn't working out all the way.

Now the real assholes here are the Inhumans and fucking Steve Rogers. The Inhumans have always been more isolationist regarding the rest of the MU, so to immediately reject Carol and bail isn't totally out of character, but it seems too abrupt. Medusa has been forging a stronger friendship with Carol over the past year or so and for her to simply say "No" and bail seems incredibly callous and abrupt. But on the other hand, they're tired of this shit and want to figure out what the hell is up with Ulysses, which clearly cannot be anything good. And Steve...well, that should speak for itself. Disregarding everything happening outside of this core book, he pulled the Rhodey card on Carol. Now, this is a card we've seen pulled on her that's been a rather low blow, but a lot of the time I've been fine with it even though it's an extreme way of hitting home a greater point. In this case, Steve was just being a fuck and used it to distract her so they could get away. And goddamn, did that work. Can't really blame T'challa. He makes a valid point to Tony that the visions have been going both ways.

Honestly, I can't wait to see what happens next issue. I really can't. I want to see why
Miles is at where he's at. My bet? That whatever the hell is possessing Ulysses is now directly manipulating others to carry shit out. It's the only thing that can explain why a completely devastated Miles would bother going states away in order to be caught (he's not an idiot).
Good issue.

Absolutely agree with all of this. I will cosign.

It was something along the lines of wanting what he wanted in theory but his methods were wrong. My mind was blown by it.
So what is it that they wanted? To screw with Batman? Money? Explosives? Anarchy? Or to utterly and completely turn everyone insane and prove that the world is a negative pile of shit?
I'm starting my reading of Claremont's X-Men run and Giant-Size X-Men most certainly wouldn't fly today. I know the X-Men are jerks, but I was surprised with how mean spirited the story was. This issue wasn't written by Claremont so I'm curious to see what his writing is like.

I mean, most of them are complete loners who don't know how to work well together. Nightcrawler was found being chase by a mob and was a solo act in the circus; Wolverine was a government superhero (read: assassin); Banshee was a solo Interpol agent; Sunfire is just a nationalistic dickwagon; Thunderbird is just angry at the world considering everything that has happened to Native Americans; Storm was a petty thief orphan while growing up and eventually came to be worshipped in the middle of Nowhere, Africa; Cyclops just wants to save the X-Men and has a natural elitism that comes with having been a part of an official, big name superhero team; Colossus was happy just working on a farm in the middle of Nowhere, Russia.

It's just a lot of loners and elitists. It's why Claremont's run works so well, because you have to watch these people come together as a family. Well, not Sunfire.

tim1138

Are you reading in the omnibus? If so, there is a response to a letter a few issues in that is hilariously brutal.

Sandfox

So what is it that they wanted? To screw with Batman? Money? Explosives? Anarchy? Or to utterly and completely turn everyone insane and prove that the world is a negative pile of shit?

I mean, most of them are complete loners who don't know how to work well together. Nightcrawler was found being chase by a mob and was a solo act in the circus; Wolverine was a government superhero (read: assassin); Banshee was a solo Interpol agent; Sunfire is just a nationalistic dickwagon; Thunderbird is just angry at the world considering everything that has happened to Native Americans; Storm was a petty thief orphan while growing up and eventually came to be worshipped in the middle of Nowhere, Africa; Cyclops just wants to save the X-Men and has a natural elitism that comes with having been a part of an official, big name superhero team; Colossus was happy just working on a farm in the middle of Nowhere, Russia.

It's just a lot of loners and elitists. It's why Claremont's run works so well, because you have to watch these people come together as a family. Well, not Sunfire.
Even then Giant-Size is basically all of them insulting each other in like every speech bubble, old or new. I expect it to change though.
Are you reading in the omnibus? If so, there is a response to a letter a few issues in that is hilariously brutal.
That's interesting.

tim1138

Even then Giant-Size is basically all of them insulting each other in like every speech bubble, old or new. I expect it to change though.

That's interesting.

I can't say more without spoiling, so just be sure to read the letter columns.

As a whole, Claremont's run is one those that I wish I could experience again for the first time. It's in my top 3 all time favorite runs.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Went to go visit the gf at work(mall), and a bunch of little kids kept yelling "Captain America." So I ended up taking a pic with the family. wish I got the photo.

Are you wearing a work out shirt with slacks? Is that allowed?

This is really cool, by the way, I'm just confused.

I can't say more without spoiling, so just be sure to read the letter columns.

As a whole, Claremont's run is one those that I wish I could experience again for the first time. It's in my top 3 all time favorite runs.

I feel that
Are you wearing a work out shirt with slacks? Is that allowed?

Dude I've seen people at the gym wearing cargo shorts/khaki pants/jeans with polo shirts.

Didn't think much of Great Lakes Avengers #1. I am enjoying the humor in a lot of Marvel books right now. There are good books with plenty of sardonic wit that work great, like Spider-Woman and Doctor Strange. Good humor books too, like Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool. But when they go full zany, they lose me. Can't remember the last time I liked a zany, goofy book from Marvel (unless you count Spider-Man & Deadpool, I guess, which I don't). Tried Mercs for Money last week and thought that was lousy too.

Too bad, I was looking forward to this.

Messi

Didn't think much of Great Lakes Avengers #1. I am enjoying the humor in a lot of Marvel books right now. There are good books with plenty of sardonic wit that work great, like Spider-Woman and Doctor Strange. Good humor books too, like Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool. But when they go full zany, they lose me. Can't remember the last time I liked a zany, goofy book from Marvel (unless you count Spider-Man & Deadpool, I guess, which I don't). Tried Mercs for Money last week and thought that was lousy too.

Too bad, I was looking forward to this.

Mercs isn't lousy. Shame on you.

So I spotted these at Walmart:
752mR6V.jpg

DPA3XQu.jpg

Malyse

Giant Days is amazing. I want to try out Jonesy but haven't gotten around to it yet. Also Sam Humphries scares the shit out of me.
Giant Days is EASILY the best one of those books. It is so fucking good.

YES IT FUCKING IS, HOLY SHIT. ESTHER IS TOP 10 ALL TIME FAVE.
Civil War 2 #6

Good issue.

We think alike, you and I.

Malyse

Jonesy is written for anyone who's ever called themselves an anime trash monster. I hope everything goes terribly wrong a la Seconds.

Edit: or anyone who hates people who call themselves an anime trash monster.

mreddie

Good read. I still need to read Bendis' Avengers stuff. I have a couple issues of it lying around. Pre-Secret Invasion stuff.

Bendis said:
"I remember I asked if it was okay if Luke Cage and Spider-Woman were on the team. Our publisher said, 'You said Spider-Man and Wolverine?' I go, 'Yep.' He said, 'As long as I see Spider-Man and Wolverine are there, you can do whatever you want.'"

Gotta give him props, New Avengers was masterfully done, Avengers was all over the place.

Seriously, the roster of NA has like half of the new major players we have now...and Carol.

Owzers

I'm trash cuz instead of playing Titanfall 2 and having fun I'm playing Overwatch to get more Halloween skins.

There's nothing wrong with this. I finally got witch mercy to drop after 70ish boxes, despite having bought it with coins earlier as we established. I still need Ana, i don't think i'll use coins for Soldier's skin or Mei's halloween intro.

Also, the first episode of Black Mirror was full of cringe and not even Last Man on Earth cringe but just straight awkward cringe, directly into the side of your brain that responds most to cringe. It was fairly tough to get through. I've heard the second episode is more horror-y so i'm looking forward to it.

Catching up on a little reading of books I bought in a recent Marvel CMX sale. Read though the first 4 issues of black panther. I really like it. It's quite different than not only other marvel/cape books and Priests run (whixh is how I grew to love the character) but the style of writing is also pretty unique. Cool stuff. Waid's Black widow is next.

In other news I've decided to replay Silent Hill 2. One of my favorite games but I don't play horror games often. I find them very freaky and scary since you can't consume them passively. You're in the thick of it. Thankfully SH is less gore and jump scares so it's not so bad. But I've got to be in the right mood to do it. So tonight I went to the retro room, turned off the lights, booted up my ps2 system on the 'ol CRT and with headphones and played the first 3 hours. Man the game is still so good. It still looks great, the lighting, the fog and the sound design is crazy awesome. Camera and controls are wonky but I can work around it. Outside of playing a classic game for Halloween I'm also always really fascinated in going back to different eras to see the changes in game design. Not only in UI as it gets more refined over time, but camera work, level design, how much the games tell you where to go, etc. I'm never one to say one era is superior to another but things do change over time. And man SH. It's a game that the longer you play it the more that world just gets in your head and creates this constant uneasiness. Even now I'm still all creeped out!

Gotta give him props, New Avengers was masterfully done, Avengers was all over the place.

Seriously, the roster of NA has like half of the new major players we have now...and Carol.

I have two or three issues of New Avengers that involve them fighting Elektra and the Hand, Elektra dies and turns into a Skrull, then they make it back to the states and lock themselves in a hotel room to figure out who is a Skrull and who isn't. Then the body is taken by Jessica Drew. Then they teleport back to the Sanctum Sanctorum and Luke and Jessica argue. Wolverine goes to a bar and in the back finds the Hood and some other dudes. While all this is happening, a weapons deal is going on involving Madame Masque, the Wizard, Hood, the Owl (I think), and someone else.

That's all I remember. Might not even be in that order.

There's nothing wrong with this. I finally got witch mercy to drop after 70ish boxes, despite having bought it with coins earlier as we established. I still need Ana, i don't think i'll use coins for Soldier's skin or Mei's halloween intro.

Ana probably ended up with the best Halloween skin. I wanted Mei's highlight intro so bad and then I went into the hero gallery and realized I already had it from the 75 Halloween loot boxes I bought.

Jonesy is written for anyone who's ever called themselves an anime trash monster. I hope everything goes terribly wrong a la Seconds.

Edit: or anyone who hates people who call themselves an anime trash monster.

I don't know what an anime trash monster is. But I know I can barely watch anime anymore. Except stuff like Gundam and certain sci-fi shows.

I'm trash cuz instead of playing Titanfall 2 and having fun I'm playing Overwatch to get more Halloween skins.

It's time we finally address what a menace Overwatch is. I haven't played since the Halloween event started. I was busy with Mafia 3, Dragon Quest Builders and Titanfall 2. I think I'm a happier person when I don't play Overwatch.

I don't know what an anime trash monster is. But I know I can barely watch anime anymore. Except stuff like Gundam and certain sci-fi shows.

I can't even bring myself to want to watch anime anymore, and for awhile I was watching quite a decent amount. There was about a period of a year where I was always watching at least one anime series in the background of my ongoing shows. I have been able to bring myself to watch anymore, though I have had a pretty strong hankering to re-watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood lately. So maybe that'll get me back into the swing of things.

I can't even bring myself to want to watch anime anymore, and for awhile I was watching quite a decent amount. There was about a period of a year where I was always watching at least one anime series in the background of my ongoing shows. I have been able to bring myself to watch anymore, though I have had a pretty strong hankering to re-watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood lately. So maybe that'll get me back into the swing of things.

There are definitely some good shows here and there, but there's so much new generic trash every season I can't usually sit still for 22 minutes to watch any of it.

Time for a new list wheeeeeee

Catwoman Election Night #1
Flintstones #5
Bitch Planet #9
Deadly Class #23
Walking Dead #160
Wicked + Divine #23
Champions #2
Spider-Woman #13
Animosity #3
Giant Days #20

There are definitely some good shows here and there, but there's so much new generic trash every season I can't usually sit still for 22 minutes to watch any of it.

I think I just got tired of the aesthetics. A lot of them just bleed together visually after awhile. And yeah, every once in awhile I find a gem, but I get hit with some generic and dumb shit. For every The Big O, there's about ten Sword Art Onlines. For the most part, however, it wasn't one anime that killed it. I just haven't really wanted to watch anime in general.

Dalek

I seriously can't believe how great Paper Girls is. I'm almost caught up and that hurts. Every issue has a great twist/cliffhanger.

Top Bottom