• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Finished Joe Golem and the Drowning City. I really enjoyed it, and it's a good read for anyone who likes cosmic horror and action adventure.

It was written by Mignola and Golden, who apparently also did Baltimore together (also JGatDC takes place within the same universe as well. Or so it's implied), so I'll probably check that out. Golden also apparently worked on some Hellboy stories as well. Also, earlier this year they announced a prequel book, and apparently MGM has the movie rights.

What a good day today.

Bkatastrophe, buy a book with H.P.s storys :/
I probably will at some point.
You honestly haven't missed much. Similar to maybe Philip K. Dick, he had an enormous imagination and was a fantastic world builder, but he wasn't exactly a great writer.
A close friend of mine told me the exact same thing (minus the Philip K. Dick part, because I don't think he's read any of Dick's stuff), but he's basically the father of cosmic horror. Since I like the genre, I feel obligated to check it out regardless.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can you tell me other authors who write cosmic horror and werent invovled in the larger Lovecraft & Friends expanded Cthulhu Universe? I dont know any

Tizoc

Finished Joe Golem and the Drowning City. I really enjoyed it, and it's a good read for anyone who likes cosmic horror and action adventure.

It was written by Mignola and Golden, who apparently also did Baltimore together, so I'll probably check that out. Golden also apparently worked on some Hellboy stories as well. Also, earlier this year they announced a prequel book, and apparently MGM has the movie rights.

What a good day today.

I probably will at some point.

A close friend of mine told me the exact same thing (minus the Philip K. Dick part, because I don't think he's read any of Dick's stuff), but he's basically the father of cosmic horror. Since I like the genre, I feel obligated to check it out regardless.

Did not know about Joe Golem, will look that up later.

Can you tell me other authors who write cosmic horror and werent invovled in the larger Lovecraft & Friends expanded Cthulhu Universe? I dont know any

Demon Souls' and Bloodborne's stories are both heavily cosmic horror, and Mignola and Golden are obviously both cosmic horror writers. I would say Death Vigil has some elements of cosmic horror (the Big Bads are so obviously Old Ones, or at least design inspired by Old Ones), and the second arc of Rat Queens has some of that as well (though it's more just the impending doom of that arc, as opposed to actual cosmic horror).

Did not know about Joe Golem, will look that up later.

Keep in mind that it's an illustrated novel and not a graphic novel. I figured I'd post about it since it's Mignola.

One of the illustrations from JGatDC
drowning-city4.jpg

I really wasn't expecting much from Batman Earth One what with it being another origin story but the first volume was really good. Loved this version of Alfred and Birthday Boy was a creepy son of a bitch. That bit when Bullock fell through the floor made my skin crawl.

VanWinkle

I really wasn't expecting much from Batman Earth One what with it being another origin story but the first volume was really good. Loved this version of Alfred and Birthday Boy was a creepy son of a bitch. That bit when Bullock fell through the floor made my skin crawl.

Yup, I love Batman Earth One. I can't believe I haven't got volume 2 yet. I really need to.

The fight with the kidnapper is really great. I loved it because it felt like a real brawl with tension, not so much a master martial artist at work.

Hagi

I like it, too. But Official Star Wars fans in StarWarsGAF have informed me that Darth Vader is actually the second worst Star Wars comic next to Princess Leia. Just so you're aware.

8waIx0Y.gif

Maybe they only read Vader and Leia.

edit: opinions and all but Leia is by far the most ho hum book they've done so far

IIRC most of the people who ranked the comics Marvel have done so far did like Vader. There's a few who don't which is fair enough. You certainly can't accuse Vader of being a bland comic though, I can't say the same for Leia's mini-series. The art was great though.

Damn even hating on Salvador Larroca's art. I don't think it his best ever, but I think Vader art is great

I think some people may indulge in so much Star Wars merch that they tend to become a bit jaded toward it. I'm only just getting back into it now that the new films are coming, but I was a HUGE Star Wars fan about a decade ago.

IIRC most of the people who ranked the comics Marvel have done so far did like Vader. There's a few who don't which is fair enough. You certainly can't accuse Vader of being a bland comic though, I can't say the same for Leia's mini-series. The art was great though.

Terry Dodson is a fantastic artist. I find his writing a bit lacking when he does books entirely on his own, but his art in unquestionably stellar.

I have read all of the Star Wars comics. I'd rank them accordingly:

1. Lando
2. Darth Vader
3. Star Wars
4. Leia
5. Kanan
6. Shattered Empire

It's too early to rank Chewbacca.

See, I like Shattered Empire, but it seems too small-scale for a new story taking place post-ROTJ. It's not meaty enough.

That's why I ranked it the lowest. There wasn't enough depth to the new characters, simply because there weren't enough pages to properly introduce them. Shara Bey especially had no purpose other than re-introducing us to the original trilogy characters and giving us a small taste of the events following Return of the Jedi. Shattered Empire did set-up some interesting hooks for the franchise and I look forward to seeing what impact they have in the future.

I just started reading it today on my breaks at work so I'm 3 issues in but it's a believable story in the universe. Clearly shows Vaders relations with the Emporer and his determination on finding out about the pilot who destroyed the Death Star. Yes, there is some corny moments but in reality, we don't know how they would have portrayed Vader with lots of dialog in the movies. He only had 12 minutes of screen time in the original Star Wars. He lacked characterization.

See, I like Shattered Empire, but it seems too small-scale for a new story taking place post-ROTJ. It's not meaty enough.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I never really expected it to be too substantial when it was announced as a four issue mini series, but apart from Poe's parents there isn't really enough to warrant the Journey to the Force Awakens banner. #3 is definitely one of my favourite comics they've released so far though.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I never really expected it to be too substantial when it was announced as a four issue mini series, but apart from Poe's parents there isn't really enough to warrant the Journey to the Force Awakens banner. #3 is definitely one of my favourite comics they've released so far though.

There's a thirty-year gap to fill between ROTJ and TFA. They could have gone a little bigger. But they probably rushed this just to get something new to market.

I just started reading it today on my breaks at work so I'm 3 issues in but it's a believable story in the universe. Clearly shows Vaders relations with the Emporer and his determination on finding out about the pilot who destroyed the Death Star. Yes, there is some corny moments but in reality, we don't know how they would have portrayed Vader with lots of dialog in the movies. He only had 12 minutes of screen time in the original Star Wars. He lacked characterization.
Yep, the truth is Vader's dialogue has always been melodramatic anyway so it actually fits quite nicely. The main thing I've liked about the series is the fact Vader's definitely not the top dog he is in Empire and Jedi. The destruction of the Death Star is his failure and the fact there's someone like Tagge trying to keep him on a leash makes sense with the relationship we see between him and Tarkin in Star Wars.

Hagi

I've enjoyed all the Star Wars books to varying degrees but Kanan is my not so secret favourite. I'm loving Rebels and getting some much needed back story for him plus it being set during the Clone Wars pushes it way above everything else. The art is fantastic and it makes me actually want to buy a page rather than just say I want to buy a page.

Looking forward to that Obi-Wan and Anakin mini series that starts next year.

So in my quest to have a Sandman-universe shelf...apart from Absolute Sandman + Death and eventually all the Lucifer volumes...aren't I missing...eh, I'm not sure of the name but something like Dead Detective Boys? Has that even been collected?

I've enjoyed all the Star Wars books to varying degrees but Kanan is my not so secret favourite. I'm loving Rebels and getting some much needed back story for him plus it being set during the Clone Wars pushes it way above everything else. The art is fantastic and it makes me actually want to buy a page rather than just say I want to buy a page.

Looking forward to that Obi-Wan and Anakin mini series that starts next year.

Kanan definitely benefits from the Rebels cross promotion. There is still so much we don't know about him and seeing how much he has changed from the Clone Wars to the Original Trilogy era makes his book more engaging. I agree that the art is stellar, consistently every month. It's arguably my favourite too, though I wouldn't say it's on the same level, quality-wise, as Vader or Star Wars. That's not to say it doesn't hold up, the writing is just "different". I look forward to it every month and I'm happy it evolved from a mini-series into an on-going. I think it speaks for the potential of the book, that as you said, helps to push it above the other books.

Charles Soule is writing the Obi-Wan and Anakin book, right?

So in my quest to have a Sandman-universe shelf...apart from Absolute Sandman + Death and eventually all the Lucifer volumes...aren't I missing...eh, I'm not sure of the name but something like Dead Detective Boys? Has that even been collected?

By Brubaker? There is a trade for that. And a couple of trades from the new run too.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SANDMAN-PRESENTS-DEAD-BOY-DETECTIVES-TP-(MR)/MAY080258

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/DEAD-BOY-DETECTIVES-TP-VOL-01-SCHOOLBOY-TERRORS/MAR140290

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/DEAD-BOY-DETECTIVES-TP-VOL-02-GHOST-SNOW/OCT140396

Then there's this one also.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/140120497X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think there were many comics in the Sandman Presents line.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Sandman_spinoffs#The_Sandman_Presents

VanWinkle

Does anybody here have Solo Deluxe Edition by DC? If so, can you take a few pictures for me? One with the dust jacket, one without the dust jacket, and one of the binding? Also, short impressions? This is just for me since I'm going to get it soon and I want to see a little more about it. For some reason, it's hard to find many pictures or thoughts, BUT from what I've heard, it's supposedly really cool.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Vol 1 was really cool. A fucking awesome take on Alfred. The scene where he explains to Bruce why he's there... Fantastic.

I think I enjoyed Vol 2 a bit more.

Does anybody here have Solo Deluxe Edition by DC? If so, can you take a few pictures for me? One with the dust jacket, one without the dust jacket, and one of the binding? Also, short impressions? This is just for me since I'm going to get it soon and I want to see a little more about it. For some reason, it's hard to find many pictures or thoughts, BUT from what I've heard, it's supposedly really cool.

Come to think of it, I don't remember what's even printed on the actual cover. I'm not home right now otherwise I'd snap a pic. It's a really awesome book, though. You'll love it.

Top Bottom