• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Hey gang, banner's going to be up later because it's 1am here and I need some sleep.

MR6n8.png

0YkLMec.jpg

11gneug.jpg

+All-New Hawkeye #1 by Jeff Lemire and Ramon Perez (Mar 4). Clint Barton and Kate Bishop are teaming up to face the forces of evil the only way they know how: with lots and lots of arrows! (And yes, a new Hawkeye series is starting before the old one ends. Deal with it.)
+Avengers #42-43; New Avengers #31-32 by Jonathan Hickman, Stefano Caselli and Kev Walker (Mar 4, 25; Mar 11, 25). Who or what is Rabum Alal? What fate will befall Namor and his villainous Cabal? Can the Avengers and Illuminati prevent the death of everything? Time is running out!
+Princess Leia #1-2 by Mark Waid and Terry Dodson (Mar 4, 18). After the destroyed her homeworld Alderaan, Princess Leia Organa escaped the Empire's clutches and helped deliver a mighty blow against her captors and their Death Star. But with her home and people gone, what happens next?
+Howard the Duck #1 by Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones (Mar 11). "Trapped In a World He's Grown Accustomed To!" Marvel's greatest feathered private investigator is on the scene, tackling the strangest cases a universe full of costumed superheroes has to offer. First up: Black Cat and alien invaders!
+Moon Knight #13 by Cullen Bunn and Ron Ackins (Mar 18). Join the new creative team as they embark on the next great chapter in the life of Marc Spector, aka Moon Knight! His faith at an all-time low after last issue's stunning events, can Marc pick up the pieces of his life?
+All-New Ghost Rider #12 by Felipe Smith and Kris Anka (Mar 25). Eli Morrow, the vengeful ghost posessing Robbie Reyes, will stop at nothing to break his host's spirit. Does Robbie have the willpower to resist Eli's murderous influence, or will Eli's most horrific act yet succeed in pushing him over the edge?

QV0uw.png

ki6QJ9R.jpg

1KHlOqy.jpg

+Batgirl #40 by Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr (Mar 18). Who or what is the imposter Batgirl out to ruin Barbara Gordon's life? The truth will reveal a shocking moment from Batgirl's dark and unfortunate past, and put her entire future in jeopardy. In the end, there can be only one!
+Justice League #40 by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok (Mar 18). The march toward this summer's "The Darkseid War" event starts here! Two of the multiverse's most powerful beings are on a collision course, and Earth is caught in the middle! Will the Justice League survive the battle to come, or be torn apart?
+The Multiversity: Ultra Comics #1 by Grant Morrison and Doug Mahnke (Mar 18). DC Comics' greatest experiment continues! The Multiverse is in danger, and the key to its salvation may be the very comic you hold in your hands. Will reading Ultra Comics save everything that is, or guarantee its destruction?
+Batman #40 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Mar 25). You've got to hand it to the Joker: he certainly knows how to throw a party. With time running out against a seemingly unstoppable villain, how much is Batman willing to risk to thwart the Joker's most maniacal scheme yet?
+Gotham Academy #6 by Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher and Karl Kerschl (Mar 25). Olive and Maps have discovered the secret of their school's mysterious "ghost" -- who isn't a ghost at all, but does have an unusual connection to Olive's mother. But before that connection can be revealed.... Batman!
+Cancellations by Various Writers and Artists (Mar 4, 11, 18, 25). In June DC will be dropping the "New52" brand from its line, with a mini- relaunch with lots of new titles! Before that can happen, though, readers must say farewell this month to a large chunk of their existing lineup.

Canceled: Aquaman and the Others; Arkham Manor; Batwoman; Green Lantern Corps; Green Lantern New Guardians; Infinity Man and the Forever People; Klarion; Red Lanterns; Secret Origins; Star-Spangled War Stories; Swamp Thing; Trinity of Sin; World's Finest

Relaunched: Batman & Robin; Constantine; Earth-2; Justice League Dark; Justice League 3000; Red Hood and the Outlaws; Supergirl

Finished: Batman Eternal; Earth-2: Worlds End; The New52: Futures End

9sam5.png

JriPn7Z.jpg

bFRAPLO.jpg

+Descender #1 by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen (Mar 4). In a universe where androids are outlawed and space-faring hunters collect bounties on their severed robotic heads, one little android boy struggles to keep his artificial life. When every day could be your last, how do the not truly alive truly live?
+Chrononauts #1 by Mark Millar and Sean Murphy (Mar 18). Corbin and Danny have just unlocked the secret to traveling through time. Any cautious, prudent scientist would safeguard that knowledge to preserve the sanctity of the space-time continuum. Unfortunately for everything, Corbin and Danny are not.
+Red One #1 by Xavier Dorison and Terry and Rachel Dodson (Mar 18). The year is 1977 and a new hero is hitting America's streets and capturing hearts and minds. What the public fails to realize, however, is that this caped crusader works for the KGB, and is out to undermine America's democratic values one heroic act at a time.
+Sexcastle OGN by Kyle Starks (Mar 18). Following his release from prison, former hitman and Secret Service agent Shane Sexcastle only wanted to settle down in a small, quiet town and leave his life blood and death behind. Unfortunately for Shane, he chose a small, quiet town in need of saving from an evil despot.
+Bitch Planet #4 by Kelly Sue Deconnick and Valentine De Landro (Mar 25). A deathmatch is in the works, and soon prisoner will be pitted against prisoner for the enjoyment of the privileged citizens of Earth. If Kam's team has any hope of survival, they'll need to enlist the aid of a ringer...
+Invincible #118 by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley (Mar 25). A bold new direction, at the introductory rate of only twenty-five cents! After recent events, Mark and Eve and their new baby girl have taken to the stars, abandoning Earth for another world to partake in the greatest adventure of them all: parenthood.

9CWx4.png

bSySFas.jpg

kcri0uJ.jpg

+Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1952 #4 by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi and Alex Maleev (Mar 4). Betrayed and left for dead by one of his teammates, Hellboy becomes lost in the catacombs below an ancient Portugese fortress. The horrors that await him below, however, will pale before the nightmare that waits for him above.
+Neverboy #1 by Shaun Simon and Tyler Jenkins (Mar 4). The land of make-believe isn't all it's cracked up to be. That's why, when he stumbles upon a means of escaping to reality, Neverboy goes there every chance he gets. Each unauthorized trip, however, draws the attention of those safeguarding the border between fantasy and reality.
+Frankenstein Underground #1 by Mike Mignola and Ben Stenbeck (Mar 18). The classic monster returns, as imagined by the creator of Hellboy! Abandoned and wandering aimlessly, Frankenstein's creature has stumbled upon a place where monsters like himself gather, and where the dark secrets of the universe are laid bare.
+Mind MGMT #31 by Matt Kindt (Mar 18). As this acclaimed series enters the final stretch, true crime author Meru takes a look back at events of the "Amnesia" Flight 815. Her investigation of that mysterious flight became the catalyst for everything that followed, and introduced her to a world few know exists.
+Empowered Unchained Vol. 1 by Adam Warren and Friends (Mar 25). This special volume collects all of the Empowered one-shot specials, written and illustrated by Adam Warren and a host of guest creators. From carjacking mecha gangs to crossdressing vigilantes to inebriated ninja confessions, this one has it all!
+Past Aways #1 by Matt Kindt and Scott Kolins (Mar 25). The year is 2015, and a team of time-traveling future explorers are trapped in a primitive world: ours! As the time rift that stranded them here spews forth more time-lost anomlies, these brave men and women become our only defense against past and future.

ymY7S.png

r63QwUb.jpg

vhh2zfn.jpg

+The Fly: Outbreak #1 by Brandon Seifert and menton3 (Mar 4). Years ago, a brilliant but troubled scientist experimenting with teleportation transformed himself into a human/fly abomination. Now, his son seeks a cure for the mutation he inherited, but his research puts the entire world in grave danger.
+Miami Vice Remix #1 by Joe Casey and Jim Mahfood (Mar 4). The city of Miami is a hotbed crime; drugs, gangs, murder, and all manner of depravity. Two detectives will stand against the forces of evil, to protect the innocent and uphold the law. Crockett and Tubbs are on the case.
+MLP Friendship is Magic #29 by Ted Anderson and Jay Fosgitt (Mar 4). Cherilee's sister, a famous professional wrester, has come to Canterlot and the two siblings are at each other's throats. The Mane Five know there's only one way to settle this rivalry: with a steel cage grudge match!
+Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #44 by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman and Cory Smith (Mar 11). The Technodrome is mere minutes from activation, and an all-out battle is taking place to see who will control it! Will the Shredder topple Krang and emerge victorious? Will Krang triumph? Can the Turtles stop both foes and save New York?
+G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #212 by Larry Hama and S.L. Gallant (Mar 18). The Joe team encounters an evil unlike any they have faced before, and stopping it will require the return of an old foe. Serpentor rises once again, and his resurrection sets in motion events that will lead to the death of Snake Eyes!
+Jem and the Holograms #1 by Kelly Thompson and Ross Sophia Campbell (Mar 25). Jerrica Benton has a secret: with the aid of a holographic computer named Synergy, she becomes the music sensation known as Jem! Glamour and glitter, fashion and fame for the modern age of pop stardom. It's truly, truly truly OUTRAGEOUS!

4T1fu.png

r8sjPqy.jpg

8PRDJC2.jpg

+The Con Job #1 by Jimmy Palmiotti and Dominike Stanton (Boom!; Mar 4). A group of sci-fi actors attending conventions together have become friends, relying on each other as their popularity and bank accounts dwindle. With obscurity and poverty in their near future, they hatch a scheme to rob the biggest convention in the country.
+Halogen #1 by Josh Tierney and Afu Chan (Boom!; Mar 4). Aboard Cityship Q, rumors are circulating that the corpse of a dead god was found floating somewhere in space. Seeking to capitalize on this discovery, the HaloGen group has tasked young Rell with locating the body for retrieval and exploitation.
+Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor #1 by Cavan Scott and Blair Shedd (Titan; Mar 11). In the aftermath of the Time War, Time Lord technology is being bought and sold on the intergalactic black market. With the possibility of another war looming, can the Doctor, Rose and Jack prevent the spread of this dangerous technology?
+Hellbreak #1 by Cullen Bunn and Brian Churilla (Oni; Mar 11). There are many kinds of hell in the afterlife, and for the right price... you can escape. Kerberos has the technology to get your loved ones out, and if you've got the dough their teams of highly trained operatives will literally go to hell to rescue them from eternal torment.
+Ninjak #1 by Matt Kindt, Clay Mann and Butch Guice (Valiant; Mar 11). Past and future collide as the origins of the world's deadliest intelligence operative are revealed! Colin King was once a promising MI-6 recruit eager to the learn the spy trade. Today, King battles shadowy ninja masters as the masked assassin Ninjak.
+Nemo: River of Ghosts HC by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill (Top Shelf; Mar 25). Janni Dakkar, aged matriarch of the Nemo family, embarks on a quest down the Amazon river to put to rest the ghosts of her past. With twilight fast approaching, her voyage into darkness will conjure spectres both real and imagined.

5lcMDk2.png
uqwNqxS.png

BRudrOC.jpg

1ST PLACE WINNER:
Harley Quinn Valentine's Day Special; written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti; pencils by John Timms and More; colors by Paul Mounts; published by DC Comics (15 points)

2ND PLACE FINISHER:
Silk #1; written by Robbie Thompson; pencils by Stacey Lee; colors by Ian Herring; published by Marvel Comics (9 points)

3RD PLACE FINISHER:
Hawkeye #21; written by Matt Fraction; pencils by David Aja and Raul Allen; colors by Matt Hollingsworth; published by Marvel Comics (8 points)

Here's How It Works
In the last week of the month (or earlier, if you're confident about your choices), any GAF member can send me a private message with their personal picks for the three best single issues released that month, from any publisher. These picks should be arranged in order of rank -- first, second, and third place -- and each ranking will be worth a specific point value. A first place ranking for a comic is worth 5 points; a second place is worth 3 points; a third place, 2 points. Then before next month's COMICS! OT goes live, I'll tally the results and point values from each ballot, and post the top three overall winners in the next OP as last month's, GAF-approved, best of the best. Then, maybe at the end of the year, we'll have a showdown between the year's top finishers or something similar.

A Sample Ballot
This is an example of how a sample ballot submitted by you might look. You don't have to use this formatting but I do ask that, however you send it to me, you are CLEAR on which comics you are voting for and in what order they are ranked.

Average GAF Member said:
1st Place: "Super-Fun Team Adventures" #14 (Mystery Comics; story by Jack Johnson, art by John Jackson) [worth 5 points.]
2nd Place: "Children's Bedtime Stories, Only With Nudity and Cursing" #69 (Happy Puppy Publishing; story by Jane Doe, art by John Doelner) [worth 3 points.]
3rd Place: "Grimdark, Extreme, and McDarkerson" #474 (Amazing Comics; story & art by Smitty Smithengen) [worth 2 points.]

The Voting Rules
1. Only single issues released that month are to be considered for voting; no trade collections, and no "just caught up" considerations for issues released one/two/however many months ago. Sorry if this excludes you from the voting process, trade-only readers and mail-order folk. I didn't see any other way.
2. Each GAF member is allowed one ballot, and once that ballot has been cast you are done for the month. If an issue comes out and you think it's the best comic you've ever read or will ever read, but you already cast your vote the week before, that's too bad. In other words, there are no take-backs so VOTE THOUGHTFULLY.
3. Three comics per ballot, and no more. You could send me a list of the ten best comics that month, with full paragraph summaries on why you ranked them in what order; but in the end, I'm only going to tally points for the top three and ignore the rest. You CAN pick just one book as the best that month... but that one vote is still worth only 5 points.
4. No ties on the ballots, please. You have to pick three comics as the best that month, and you have to rank them "1st, 2nd, 3rd" so that I can assign points to each. If you're torn between two issues of two different series as the best that month, and you can't decide which one you loved more than the other, TRY.
5. To make things a bit easier on me when it comes to making the OP, I'm establishing a deadline for casting ballots of 11pm Eastern Standard Time on the last day of the month. You can cast your ballot at any time during the month that you wish; however once that deadline has passed, any ballots sent to me will be ignored.
6. Again, to make things easier I would prefer that your votes be cast via private message sent to me, rather than through an open post in the OT. In addition to keeping the voting process a secret, using the PM method means I won't have to search through thread pages for someone's vote posted as an afterthought to an unrelated discussion.

Failure to comply with any of the above rules MAY result in your ballot getting thrown out.

Other rules and stipulations may follow, but for now we'll roll with these for the first round and see how it goes. Have fun voting!

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy reading!

Repost from last thread.

Bought some risers for my black and whites. Also used a Batman mug that don't fit a large cup from the Keurig. Batgirl B&W next to Capullo Batman and that shelf is done.

B-_I_sWVAAAv6ZA.jpg

Finally got the Batman Kotobukiya statue.

B-_H1YOXAAAyJHK.jpg

And my list

LADY KILLER #3 $3.50
BATMAN ETERNAL #48 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #40 $3.99
GRAYSON #8 $2.99
HARLEY QUINN #15 $2.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #44 (WEEKLY) $2.99
BLACK SCIENCE #12 CVR A SCALERA & DINISIO (MR) $3.50
NAMELESS #2 (MR) $2.99
RAT QUEENS #9 (MR) $3.50
REVIVAL #28 (MR) $3.99
SAGA #26 (MR) $2.99

Is Howard the Duck this week???? The Marvel site says March 4 but Midtown and the other sites don't have it as coming out this week

I've spent the last 2 weeks binging through Ultimate Universe since I dropped the line just before Ultimatum. Honestly there is some good stuff in between but all of the comics kind of have a fan fiction feel after Ultimatum. Characters go crazy for weird reasons, perfectly good characters are killed off in silly ways (wtf did they kill kingpin in such a dumb random way? and Harry and Doc Ock getting identical deaths ? cmon son). Right now I'm finishing up Ultimate Doomsday and feel like its a huge waste of potential. It should have tied up loose ends and dealt with the mystery of
Roxxon Richard Parker's mysterious involvement with them, Dr.Doom, Latveria and that whole Geldoff arc they set up way earlier in USM
instead its about
Reed Richards going insane and becoming anakin skywalker

Glad I'm reading this all on marvel unlimited and didn't pay money when it was coming out. Although like I said there was some fun stuff in between like that whole chunk of USM with Gwen, Johnny, and Bobby living with them and Kitty being at the school and Mark Millar's return to Ultimates was fun. I haven't read some of the minis yet like Jason Aaron's Captain America or Ellis's later Iron Man stuff though. I liked that Millar came in and quickly retconned a bunch of shit out like thor talking like 616 version, Orson Scott Card's Iron Man, and not having Nick Fury as head of SHIELD.

Tizoc

Oh some hot stuff this month-
The Fly
The MLP wrestling issue
Frankenstein by Mike Mignola
Jem
Miami Vice

Messi

Delighted to see Silk get the props it deserves. Harley was fantastic as always.

olivia-wilde-dance-o.gif

Damn if it wasn't a short month I'd likely have hit 1000 posts again.

Got my Convergence pull list sheet from my LCS this week. Signed up for everything except Hawkman, Infinity Inc, and Plastic Man and the Freedom Fighters.

Dunbar

I'm going to be curious how my LCS finds space to display 40 different two-shots when Convergence starts. They'd have to take every single regular DC book off the wall to have space, and that isn't happening.

Personally I'm going to get the main series and I doubt much else. I'd be more inclined to sample some of the two-shots if I could buy both at once.

Messi

I'm going to be curious how my LCS finds space to display 40 different two-shots when Convergence starts. They'd have to take every single regular DC book off the wall to have space, and that isn't happening.

Personally I'm going to get the main series and I doubt much else. I'd be more inclined to sample some of the two-shots if I could buy both at once.

Just wait until both are out and cherry pick the best ones?

There are no regular DC series during that time. The event books replace them for those two months while the company moves to California.

Zombine

Banned
So many fantastic books landing this Spring/Summer. I honestly couldn't be more content with all of this nice weather reading.

Dunbar

Just wait until both are out and cherry pick the best ones?
That is what I'd like to do but the owner has said he thinks he's going to order mostly for subscribers and very lightly for the wall/display, so I'm not super confident everything will be available to cherry pick.
There are no regular DC series during that time. The event books replace them for those two months while the company moves to California.
Oh, I know. But he'd still have to take all the back issues off the wall, and I'm sure he'll be selling more of those than almost any of the two-shots.

Top Bottom