• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are reading Gotham Academy and thinking it's going to be batman the highschool years, when it's actually going to be about a highschool in Gotham and not feature batman at all. Like it's going to be about characters you never heard of growing up in Gotham. And Stephanie Brown.

Not Cass though.

I think people are reading Gotham Academy and thinking it's going to be batman the highschool years, when it's actually going to be about a highschool in Gotham and not feature batman at all. Like it's going to be about characters you never heard of growing up in Gotham. And Stephanie Brown.

Not Cass though.

Welcome to GOTHAM ACADEMY! Gotham City’s most prestigious prep school is a very weird place. It’s got a spooky campus, oddball teachers, and rich benefactors always dropping by...like that weirdo Bruce Wayne. But nothing is as strange as the students!
Like, what's up with Olive Silverlock? Is she crazy or what? Where did she go last summer? And what's the deal with her creepy mom? And how come that Freshman MAPS is always following her around? Is she still going out with Kyle? P.S. did you hear the rumor about the ghost in the North Hall?

GOTHAM ACADEMY, written by Eister-Award-nominated Becky Cloonan (DEMO) along with Brenden Fletcher and illustrated by Karl Kerschl, arrives on October 1st. It’s a new, monthly teen drama set in the shadow of Batman and the craziness of Gotham City with new characters and old plus a secret tie to Gotham's past...

And Arkham’s madness comes home in ARKHAM MANOR! A bold new series brought to you by the mad minds of Gerry Duggan (Deadpool, Nova) and Shawn Crystal (Deadpool, Wolverine and the X-Men). When catastrophe strikes Arkham Asylum, where will Gotham City house the world’s most dangerous criminals, and when inmates are found murdered, what is Batman prepared to do in search of justice? ARKHAM MANOR arrives on October 22nd.

Official press release.

Owzers

Not Cass though.

I'm thinking something like Wolverine and the X-Men considering Bruce is a benefactor of the school. Maybe he'll teach a class?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Official press release.

"Welcome to GOTHAM ACADEMY! Gotham City’s most prestigious prep school is a very weird place. It’s got a spooky campus, oddball teachers, and rich benefactors always dropping by...like that weirdo Bruce Wayne. But nothing is as strange as the students!
Like, what's up with Olive Silverlock? Is she crazy or what? Where did she go last summer? And what's the deal with her creepy mom? And how come that Freshman MAPS is always following her around? Is she still going out with Kyle? P.S. did you hear the rumor about the ghost in the North Hall?"

THis series is going to be sofuckingamazeballs you guyz.

Penguin

Not Cass though.

It's weird, they started something like this with Tim in his books, but eventually kind of fell to the wayside...

And also ironically, one of the creators of Young Justice asked for suggestions if they were to continue the show, and suggested they do a spin-off focusing on the kids in school and then we get this... but do any of the teen heroes attend school anymore?

So Gotham Academy will be to highschool dramas what Gotham Central was to police procedurals.

I'm in.

Also, don't be afraid to try Arkham Asylum. It's really something unique and amazing.

Tizoc

Brian Wood's X-Men is the worst series I've ever read, but I haven't read nearly as many comics as you guys so it might just be mediocre.

Also, have you all heard about James Stokoe's Avengers 100th (50th) Anniversary One Shot? It's going to be great.

WHERE IS MY NEW ORC STAIN ISSUE STOKOE?! WHERE IS IT?!

Messi

Sorry guys, I tried. I asked Gail Simone on twitter if she would consider doing an arc on Catwoman and she said she didn't think so.

Dreams over folks.

Owzers

if Gotham Academy is 2.99 i'll give it a try, maybe on Arkham Manor. I'm hesitant to read more Batbooks outside of Snyder's Batman because i'm not getting Batman Eternal and don't want to get trapped into missing out on context on the books i read because of the ones i don't, it's why i abandoned the Green Lantern universe side.

phoenixyz

Gotham Academy sounds cool. I enjoyed the flashbacks to Bruce's school time in Zero Year.

Oh man. This.
It's why I haven't picked up Arkham Asylum yet. I've seen previews of some of the pages and I was like NOPE!
The lettering/handwriting was by far the weakest aspect of Arkham Asylum. The rest is awesome.

Bii

The lettering/handwriting was by far the weakest aspect of Arkham Asylum. The rest is awesome.

I'll probably get around to reading it, just not right now. I was able to overlook the cursive writing in Batman: Year One, so maybe Arkham Asylum's not that bad once I get into it.

-

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

14344584360_c8865cf82c_o.jpg

Batman has retired. Gotham has been overrun by street gangs and Batman hasn’t been seen for 10 years. Bruce fights with his inner self and is on the verge of breaking down but sees the need for change. Thus, the Dark Knight returns.

Maybe it was just me but upon reading the first few pages with the small clips from news shows, it confused the heck out of me on how I should read the narration. The text lingers above and below the panels and I didn't know which text goes with which picture. I had to put the book down because eff it, that shit was annoying. Every few days, I would try to pick the book up and read it to completion, only to be marred with the constant lazy execution of transitioning from one scene to another. Reading this book was more troublesome than reading Crisis on Infinite Earths. Yeah, I went there.

14531219455_d935046995_o.jpg
14527834311_d73f1a3117_o.jpg

Let's talk about the character/story progression. Things just happen and for no reason at all. This new Robin just drops in randomly and Batman lets her stick around because she saved his life. Umm, ok. Oh, and she has a slingshot as her primary weapon. A slingshot. Why is the Green Arrow helping Batman? Why is Alfred still alive and still being a butler to Bruce? That dude's probably 100 by now. Wonder Woman drops in for a scene or two and then drops out. Catwoman's appearance was hilarious, by the way. All of these characters popping in and out didn't mean much in the book but it didn't help it either.

The art is not particularly bad. In the sense that it's something that I can draw if I took 10 shots of espresso and drew with my left hand. Each page feels as though it's just a sketch and not the final version that it should be. Since the entire book was like this, I believe it to be intentional. Colors are used sparingly and details are far and few in between. And Miller loves drawing nipples.

14530216082_36853446f7_o.jpg
14551347003_5e4cd7c16a_o.jpg

Now, there are some cool and notable scenes that I liked. Batman's fights with the Mutant gang leader, Batman riding a tank, Batman riding a horse, Batman riding Joker, Batman riding Superman... Speaking of Superman, what the heck kind of relationship do they have? They fight for reasons beyond me (to prevent Soviet nukes and World War III!?) and in the end
Batman beats Superman to a bloody pulp, only to use chemicals(!?) to purposely give himself a heart attack and fake his death to show Superman what? Yeah, that ought to teach Supes a lesson
. Seriously.

I do like some of Miller's other books such as Batman: Year One. That book provided a very different (and great) reading experience, unlike TDKR.

In summation, this book is shit.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm sure you know that I'm just pulling this dude's leg about the French books, but that actually does look cool.

yeah but any chance I get to rep Winshluss I'll take because the guy's kinda my favorite.

Also, the two new Bat-books sound pretty ace. Like, Becky Cloonan doing teen drama by way of Batman à la Gotham Central rules as a sentence, and Duggan has yet to do wrong, so, good news all around.

MG310

So guys, I did something.

I'm at work right now so I'll get better pictures later.

:O Got a good look at that Harley in person at Special Edition...managed to control myself (plus I would've had to carry it )

Have you heard back about the Harley page yet Messi?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
who will fall for the bait tho

I... I will stay strong.
The only thing I'm gonna say is that I really, really like Dark Knight Returns.

Bii, you're still cool in my book, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
:p

I will agree on the point about the captions for the news shows though. That was bad.

Messi

I've sat here since Cheska posted that statue hovering over the purchase button. it would cost me, 400 euro with shipping and tax. I want it so badly but I just can't click that button. fuck high shipping and crazy tax (the tax on importing would be 60-80 euro).

x85K2.gif

:O Got a good look at that Harley in person at Special Edition...managed to control myself (plus I would've had to carry it )

Have you heard back about the Harley page yet Messi?

Nope and now this statue is causing cold feet on that front too.

Catching up on Moon Knight...

why didn't people like #2 again

I thought the 8 panel grids slowly disappearing one by one was actually a pretty clever usage of the comic form, considering the context of the narrative

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I've sat here since Cheska posted that statue hovering over the purchase button. it would cost me, 400 euro with shipping and tax. I want it so badly but I just can't click that button. fuck high shipping and crazy tax (the tax on importing would be 60-80 euro).

Nope and now this statue is causing cold feet on that front too.

Messi, don't do anything crazy now. Pull yourself together, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom