• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is a Larfleeze and why does it have it's own book. This better be one BAMF.

He is the Orange (Greed) Lantern. He's basically a joke of a character but because he is the entirety of his Corps he is extremely powerful (something like 5000% the power of a normal Green Lantern)

His book started amusing but got old fast. It's canceled at #12.

Zombine

Banned
He is the Orange (Greed) Lantern. He's basically a joke of a character but because he is the entirety of his Corps he is extremely powerful (something like 5000% the power of a normal Green Lantern)

His book started amusing but got old fast. It's canceled at #12.

RIP Larfleeze. We hardly knew you and your orange ways.

Messi

the reality of it is that batman is evil himself. he doesn't stop criminals because he gets off on the chase. i imagine after chasing the joker for months of end, finally capturing him and getting put away into an unproven prison gives him a enraged erection, which he masturbates and spunks into his bat-flannel or robin's mouth.

how many people have died becasue batman doesn't stop the criminals once and for all? does batman care that joker breaks out of prison every weekend? no. because batman is a chronic masturbator.

This is why I come here. We need more fan fiction.

RIP Larfleeze. We hardly knew you and your orange ways.

Green_Lantern-_Larfleeze_Christmas_Special_Vol_1_1.jpg

larfleeze-xmas.jpg

<3

fertygo

There's more good batbooks that you can count that anything else that DC released.
the reality of it is that batman is evil himself. he doesn't stop criminals because he gets off on the chase. i imagine after chasing the joker for months of end, finally capturing him and getting put away into an unproven prison gives him a enraged erection, which he masturbates and spunks into his bat-flannel or robin's mouth.

how many people have died becasue batman doesn't stop the criminals once and for all? does batman care that joker breaks out of prison every weekend? no. because batman is a chronic masturbator.

The true Chinner finally grace Comic-GAF

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Most Image books have stellar #1s but few of them maintain any level of quality. Most go off the rails, hard and fast, reinforcing the fact that while too much editorial is a bad thing, too little can be just as problematic.

Deadly Class has been six issues about a terrible person who doesn't even live up to his hype having an acid trip and getting the shit beat out of him. School for Assassins? Shit, that was everyday at my high school.

I had a similar problem with Marcus in the first two or three issues, because I tend to want to (need to) relate to the protagonist/main character in a story, but at this point, six issues in, I can honestly say this is Remender's best current comic. Marcus is a fucking homeless teen, filled with angst and confusion and paranoia, so it makes sense that he's not a great person. It's what the story needs. The first arc was breaking Marcus down, dismantling everything about him, from his face to his reputation. But now there's some spark of friendship, relationships, and all that shit that a confused teenager needs to progress and evolve.

In essence, why would you want every story to be the same? It all works here, and the last two issues with Vegas, the acid trip, and the constant violence have been two of the most exciting comics issues out so far this year. Seems counter-productive to your original point about Image to use Deadly Class as an example.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I find the other characters and how they react to Marcus much more fascinating. Marcus is a prick.

As with so many of Remender's protagonists. Character evolution is one of his specialties...let him do his thang.

ElNarez

Banned
Not every French Comic is good. But most of them are top notch.

Nah. You only get the good stuff overseas. For every groundbreaking mindblowing greatestest book ever, there's like, 50 shitty books loaded with repackaged old jokes about one specific subset of the population, incredibly pretentious books about artists and their artist problems, and bad heroic-fantasy comics for centuries to come.

Zombine

Banned
For every groundbreaking mindblowing greatestest book ever, there's like, 50 shitty books loaded with repackaged old jokes about one specific subset of the population, incredibly pretentious books about artists and their artist problems, and bad heroic-fantasy comics for centuries to come.

Those books would all fit nicely next to my vinyl and criterion collection films. It's really the only media that speaks to me. Wes Anderson and French comics are way better than Walking Dead

ElNarez

Banned
Those books would all fit nicely next to my vinyl and criterion collection films. It's really the only media that speaks to me. Wes Anderson and French comics are way better than Walking Dead

yo if you need me to hook you up with pretentious French comics, get Pinocchio STAT it's an almost completely silent adaptation of the book and also the disney cartoon but grimier and weirder and it's almost 200 pages and it's probably my favorite comic ever? like, it's no Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, but it's pretty close?

I'm not even saying Deadly Class is bad. But I feel like the premise changed somewhere between the solicit/issue #1 and now from a book about a school for assassins to one about a group of terrible teenagers killing hobos and cops and drug culture.

I'm not even saying Deadly Class is bad. But I feel like the premise changed somewhere between the solicit/issue #1 and now from a book about a school for assassins to one about a group of terrible teenagers killing hobos and cops and drug culture.

It seems the love story has been relegated to subplot.

Messi

I don't disagree. But I think Remender knows what he is doing. They will get back to it.

Filthy Slug

Drug culture? They're teenagers, it's 1987, and they've escaped their assassin boarding school for a road trip to vegas--not exactly drug culture. Yeah, they do acid, but it's hardly a descent into drug culture, but more an awesome plot device to kick off a series of fucked up events. You're being super shittily reductive in talking about the comic.

I don't disagree. But I think Remender knows what he is doing. They will get back to it.

I expected Naruto.

I got a first arc before the Chunin Exams where Naruto beat a hobo to death to prove his ninja skills and Hinata murdered a half dozen cops to protect him.

phoenixyz

You're being super shittily reductive in talking about the comic.

Over all the universal praise it's sometimes hard to think that people might just not like the comic. If the story, characters and world are just not appealing to someone you might take away something very different than someone who gets really into it. That's not reductive at all imo.

Drug culture? They're teenagers, it's 1987, and they've escaped their assassin boarding school for a road trip to vegas--not exactly drug culture. Yeah, they do acid, but it's hardly a descent into drug culture, but more an awesome plot device to kick off a series of fucked up events. You're being super shittily reductive in talking about the comic.

Acid, cocaine (the girls in the restroom?) and marijuana, no? There is a fair amount of pages devoted to their drug use. I don't find drug culture appealing in the slightest so I just glaze over it.

Filthy Slug

Over all the universal praise it's sometimes hard to think that people might just not like the comic. If the story, characters and world are just not appealing to someone you might take away something very different than someone who gets really into it. That's not reductive at all imo.

I have no qualms with somebody not liking something--I didn't like Deadly Class 2-3 issues in either. But it's more reducing it to "terrible teens killing hobos and doing drugs" that I have a problem with. I think you're missing core points of the story and dismissing it because you just don't like it, and you speed-read it. Which is fine, but then your shit can be scrutinized for being just that, a quick breeze-over of the book and a mislabeling of it.

I don't see the problem in balancing out one person's dismissal of the book.

edit for clarity: The 'you' here ain't you, phoenixyz, it's Grandharrier.

Messi

Acid, cocaine (the girls in the restroom?) and marijuana, no? There is a fair amount of pages devoted to their drug use. I don't find drug culture appealing in the slightest so I just glaze over it.

I love when drugs are used in comics as it usually leads to insane colours and art for a few pages. See JH Williams stuff in Batwoman when Mags gets drugged or more recently Kate although I'm not sure if that was JH.

Zombine

Banned
I love when drugs are used in comics as it usually leads to insane colours and art for a few pages. See JH Williams stuff in Batwoman when Mags gets drugged or more recently Kate although I'm not sure if that was JH.

With this said, do we have a list of Writers/Artists who drop acid or have done so while in the creative process? I got 3 guys in my mind who have absolutely done this.

Gibbons

Moore

Morrison

phoenixyz

I have no qualms with somebody not liking something--I didn't like Deadly Class 2-3 issues in either. But it's more reducing it to "terrible teens killing hobos and doing drugs" that I have a problem with. I think you're missing core points of the story and dismissing it because you just don't like it, and you speed-read it. Which is fine, but then your shit can be scrutinized for being just that, a quick breeze-over of the book and a mislabeling of it.

I don't see the problem in balancing out one person's dismissal of the book.

edit for clarity: The 'you' here ain't you, phoenixyz, it's Grandharrier.

An example of what I mean: If you find the whole premise of someone dressing up as a Bat and fighting crime as a vigilante unappealing you probably won't care for the psychological depth Batman has in e.g. Morrison's Arkham Asylum (first comes to mind as it was discussed here a few pages back). The word reductive just doesn't fit here imho because it implies the fault lies in the reader.

Messi

With this said, do we have a list of Writers/Artists who drop acid or have done so while in the creative process? I got 3 guys in my mind who have absolutely done this.

Gibbons

Moore

Morrison

I have to imagine Queen Nocenti is on something while writing her manuscripts.

What is ComicGAFs general opinion of The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween.

I'd also love to know it Catwoman's When in Rome is worth picking up.

Filthy Slug

An example of what I mean: If you find the whole premise of someone dressing up as a Bat and fighting crime as a vigilante unappealing you probably won't care for the psychological depth Batman has in e.g. Morrison's Arkham Asylum (first comes to mind as it was discussed here a few pages back). The word reductive just doesn't fit here imho because it implies the fault lies in the reader.

Huh, how does it not apply? It's reducing the content of something to an oversimplified form--specifically, a reduction that I think ain't true to the actual book. If you showed me A Serous House on Serious Earth, and I read it, and I said "it's about a man who dresses like a bat and another man who wears clown makeup and tranny clothing and it's dumb", how is that not reductive? It absolutely applies here, because we're arguing over factual content within the book and the fact that it goes deeper than terrible teens killing bums and fucking up a 7-11.

Nobody is saying that you can't dislike a book entirely, but I was just trying to speak to the comments GH made specifically on the content of the book.

I have to imagine Queen Nocenti is on something while writing her manuscripts.

Long Halloween is one of my favorite Bat books. Mainly because it's a nice Detective story where Bats actually does some detective work.

Killing Joke actually tries to tell a Joker origin story. It has some of the best Joker dialogue in any book, and has one classic ending scene.

Last day for voting gang, don't forget! I'll try to have the thread up sometime tonight or early tomorrow; as usual I'm running a little behind, but hopefully everything will come together quickly now that I'm not playing Guild Wars 2 all weekend.

I'd also love to know it Catwoman's When in Rome is worth picking up.
The Killing Joke is one of the essential Batman stories. It's not my favorite but it is an important book and it's a good read.

I love The Long Halloween, and have expressed my love of it previously, but it's great. I liked its sequel, Dark Victory, a lot too. I didn't read that Catwoman book but I've heard it's good.

What the hell is a Larfleeze and why does it have it's own book. This better be one BAMF.

Dude what, you need to read Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern. Larfleeze is hilarious. MINEMINEMINE

And I was sleeping but... all of these opinions on the last few pages:
Do3JvFI.png

controversial comic opinion.

I hate, LOATHE even, Marvel's 50 - 60 year continuity. It's too deep, too much, and constant retcons make it more complicated.

I also strongly dislike the DC or any publishers Multiverse. I REALLY liked the time period after COIE when there was one Earth, one Universe. I've wamred up SLIGHTLY to it in the last few years, but I hope we stick to just a couple of them. When it ends up with 50+ Multiverses I just loose all interest.

phoenixyz

Huh, how does it not apply? It's reducing the content of something to an oversimplified form--specifically, a reduction that I think ain't true to the actual book. If you showed me A Serous House on Serious Earth, and I read it, and I said "it's about a man who dresses like a bat and another man who wears clown makeup and tranny clothing and it's dumb", how is that not reductive? It absolutely applies here, because we're arguing over factual content within the book and the fact that it goes deeper than terrible teens killing bums and fucking up a 7-11.

Nobody is saying that you can't dislike a book entirely, but I was just trying to speak to the comments GH made specifically on the content of the book.
The point here is that imho it's not your responsibility to dig deep into the subtext of a story if it doesn't appeal to you on a general basis. I'd even say that "it's about a man who dresses like a bat and another man who wears clown makeup and tranny clothing and it's dumb" would be a legit thing to say (although it's already very borderline) because Batman stories (and most other cape books) take a huge amount of suspension of disbelief to enjoy which not everyone can muster.

Both are great. The last few pages of The Killing Joke are really memorable.

controversial comic opinion.

I also strongly dislike the DC or any publishers Multiverse. I REALLY liked the time period after COIE when there was one Earth, one Universe. I've wamred up SLIGHTLY to it in the last few years, but I hope we stick to just a couple of them. When it ends up with 50+ Multiverses I just loose all interest.

Where the fuck are my pitchforks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom