• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Cade

Western comics are boring, manga is complex and deep and not the same tired themes

Manga is all hentai perv loli comics, western comics are all mature and interesting

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;145683892 said:
Got a gift card to burn and can choose only one:
Batman: The Long Halloween or Batman: Hush?

The Long Halloween. Hush isn't as good unless you're really into the Catwoman/Batman romance and even then Heart of Hush would be a better pick as it uses the same characters and does it better.

NoRéN;145683892 said:
Got a gift card to burn and can choose only one:
Batman: The Long Halloween or Batman: Hush?

Have you read Year One or The Killing Joke? If not, get one of those.

Otherwise, I'd probably just go with The Long Halloween for Tim Sale's art.

NoRéN

Long Halloween.

Long Halloween

The Long Halloween. Hush isn't as good unless you're really into the Catwoman/Batman romance and even then Heart of Hush would be a better pick as it uses the same characters and does it better.

I see. Hush it is!

Kidding. Thanks for the help. Long Halloween on its way!

Have you read Year One or The Killing Joke? If not, get one of those.

Otherwise, I'd probably just go with The Long Halloween for Tim Sale's art.

I got The Killing Joke ordered already as well. haven't read Year One and for under $7 it's hard to pass up.

I've recently been getting back into comics after a year long hiatus with the only exception being Snyder's Batman series. Originally I was a big DC fan (Batman being my all-time favorite) but now I'm interested in Marvel. The past two months I read Infinity Gauntlet, Wolverine: Old Man Logan, Marvels, Days of Future Past, Daredevil: Born Again and Doctor Strange: The Oath. All of them were super enjoyable and got me addicted. I also picked up 75 Years of Marvel and 75 Years of Marvel Cover Art which I'm slowly working my way through. Today I ordered Planet Hulk/World War Hulk and all ten volumes of Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX. After I get done reading those what graphic novels should I pick up that involve Captain America, Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy? I just want the essential stories for now. Thanks! :)

I've recently been getting back into comics after a year long hiatus with the only exception being Snyder's Batman series. Originally I was a big DC fan (Batman being my all-time favorite) but now I'm interested in Marvel. The past two months I read Infinity Gauntlet, Wolverine: Old Man Logan, Marvels, Days of Future Past, Daredevil: Born Again and Doctor Strange: The Oath. All of them were super enjoyable and got me addicted. I also picked up 75 Years of Marvel and 75 Years of Marvel Cover Art which I'm slowly working my way through. Today I ordered Planet Hulk/World War Hulk and all ten volumes of Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX. After I get done reading those what graphic novels should I pick up that involve Captain America, Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy? I just want the essential stories for now. Thanks! :)

Cap start picking up the Brubaker Captain America Trades/Omnibuses. Its the modern definitive run of the character

Thor you can check out the recent Jason Aaron Thor run. Also look into the JMS THor Omnibus

GoTG you should look into the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning run. Stay away from Bendis's current series

Spider man - eh there's a lot. Ultimate Spidey was always a fun one to recommend to newer readers. Essential reads? Hm.. Kraven's Last Hunt?

Iron Man - Pick up Warren Ellis's Extremis mini

X-men - Whedon's Astonishing X-men run

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"Do you never take your mask off?"

"Do you hear me complain that you leave your wonderbra on all the time Ms Grey?"

Welp

I like Fantomex

Edit: holy shit MU has uncanny x-men up all the way from issue... one

o_O good lord

Cap start picking up the Brubaker Captain America Trades/Omnibuses. Its the modern definitive run of the character

Thor you can check out the recent Jason Aaron Thor run. Also look into the JMS THor Omnibus

GoTG you should look into the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning run. Stay away from Bendis's current series

Spider man - eh there's a lot. Ultimate Spidey was always a fun one to recommend to newer readers. Essential reads? Hm.. Kraven's Last Hunt?

Iron Man - Pick up Warren Ellis's Extremis mini

X-men - Whedon's Astonishing X-men run

Sweet, thanks for the info! I'll try to pick up Brubaker Captain America Omnibus and Kraven's Last Hunt soon, I'll keep the other ones in my wishlist. Thanks again! :)

PsychBat!

Banned

Thor - You can pick up Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic. Absolutely fantastic for new readers trying to get in to Thor. I recommend getting the "God Butcher" and "God Bomb" TPBs.

GotG - I cannot recommend the 2008 Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning ENOUGH. It is extremely fun and a constant joy to read. Stay away from the Bendis poison.

Thor - You can pick up Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic. Absolutely fantastic for new readers trying to get in to Thor. I recommend getting the "God Butcher" and "God Bomb" TPBs.

GotG - I cannot recommend the 2008 Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning ENOUGH. It is extremely fun and a constant joy to read. Stay away from the Bendis poison.

Thank you! I heard many great things about that GotG run so I'll put that on my wish list for sure. To be honest I never been a Thor fan (my only experience with Thor is his stand-alone movies which are my least favorite of the MCU) but I'm willing to give the God of Thunder a shot since you highly recommend it. Thanks again. :)

I'm hyped for Ant-Man

Batman/Superman is so good. The "Superman's Joker" concept is just fun and Pak is just killing it. Also, Pak hates joy confirmed.

One of the innocents killed by the mysterious villain was
Felicity Regan a girl who Superman saved from killing herself, who happens to share the same name as the girl who Superman saved in All Star Superman who also tried to kill herself.

Shit, WHAT

I mean, I hate being Captain Obvious here but that is a really pathetic attempt at an insult that your friend makes.

Lol dude you have no idea. Like deep down I'm pretty sure he's joking, but in the two years I've known him he has never broken character. Not once. Doesn't help that he's the facetious, sarcastic type.

Thank you! I heard many great things about that GotG run so I'll put that on my wish list for sure. To be honest I never been a Thor fan (my only experience with Thor is his stand-alone movies which are my least favorite of the MCU) but I'm willing to give the God of Thunder a shot since you highly recommend it. Thanks again. :)

Yes. I also recommend God of Thunder SO freaking hard, along with all the other series that everyone else has recommended.

Also, if you discover that you now in fact do like Thor,
which I pray to God you do. We need more fans ;^;
I HIGHLY suggest checking out Walt Simonson's run from the late '70s-mid '80s. Absolutely without a doubt THE definitive Thor, although it can get pretty dense at times as far as having knowledge on the world and characters. The trades are pretty cheap on IST last I checked. Idk. Food for thought.

So is Squirrel Girl's powers literally just talking to flying rodents?

Well Waid didn't start with Samnee as a regular artist until issue...#12, wasn't it?

daredevil-12-kristen-mcduffie.jpg

but they've done over 30 issues together at this point since 2012

Man, I love McDuffie. She's great.

I haven't started Volume 4(?) yet cause I'm waiting for the HC (The Road Warrior and renumbered issues). But Daredevil is so great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol at the little sweat drop on Matt's face. What run is that, looks cool

in fact, what is the run where is he outed as DD, is that the Mark Waid run you guys keep suggesting?

wetflame

Pizza Dog

in fact, what is the run where is he outed as DD, is that the Mark Waid run you guys keep suggesting?

It's the current Waid run, isn't it? The whole run has been great, especially once Samnee came on board. It's one of my favourite books right now.

Christ man you really are ready to fuckin plow through some comics lol. Jesus. But I think you're thinking of Bendis' run. That's the fuckin good stuff.

PsychBat!

Banned

Yeah, one of my favorite books of 2012, 13 and 14. I'm going to miss it when it ends. :(

Waid's Matt, Kirsten and Foggy have been some of the happiest characters I've seen in comics. I think it's the colors and art. They just pop out so wonderfully.

Tizoc

I was about to ask about Xorn, when was he introduced if not here? Because Cyclops just went to him like he was already a established character.

And yes I know Xorn ended up just being
Magneto
btw, just one of those things you pick up over the years following comics even if you don't read them

Xorn was introduced just like that in New X-Men. The character Xorn is very interesting;
Treat him as his own character, accept his interactions with the other cast as well as his philosophies as his own, do that and by the finale you'll come to a sadenning realization: It was all fake, this charming quiet calm man was all a charade; a disguise for the old stubborn outdated Magneto

Gothos

OK, so I'm preparing my big order from Amazon and as far as comics go, I picked:
  • Lazarus Volume 1 TP
  • Lazarus Volume 2 TP
  • Daredevil By Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection Book 1 TPB
  • Black Science Volume 1 TP
Good choices? And one more question: did by any chance Lazarus or BS change the artist in the middle of the run?

Good job sir Spike, Thanks.

I feel like I am slowly fading out on comics a bit. Started playing in a band again and its taking a lot of my free time, and soon my money lol.
My back log is getting pretty big

Rhaknar

Xorn was introduced just like that in New X-Men. The character Xorn is very interesting;
Treat him as his own character, accept his interactions with the other cast as well as his philosophies as his own, do that and by the finale you'll come to a sadenning realization: It was all fake, this charming quiet calm man was all a charade; a disguise for the old stubborn outdated Magneto

I wish I didnt know, its hard to pretend I dont. I try, but...yeah. Was it a big "HOLY SHIT" moment back then, like on the interwebs and whatnot?

Christ man you really are ready to fuckin plow through some comics lol. Jesus. But I think you're thinking of Bendis' run. That's the fuckin good stuff.

dude I havent read comics in like 13 years, even if I followed events here and there. I finally have a big enough phone that I can read them. Im so happy lol

also my job has a ton of dead time during the winter so this is a godsend

Tizoc

I wish I didnt know, its hard to pretend I dont. I try, but...yeah. Was it a big "HOLY SHIT" moment back then, like on the interwebs and whatnot?
Can't remember since I only read Morrison's X-Men years after it was published originally, I must've known about the Xorn thing too. It still did not stop me from appreciating just how smartly Morrison had the character written.

dude I havent read comics in like 13 years, even if I followed events here and there. I finally have a big enough phone that I can read them. Im so happy lol

also my job has a ton of dead time during the winter so this is a godsend

For Daredevil, the recommended reading order is:
Frank Miller's run from the 80s
Bendis run from the early 2000s, followed by Brubakers, and then the current Mark Waid run.

Rhaknar

For Daredevil, the recommended reading order is:
Frank Miller's run from the 80s
Bendis run from the early 2000s, followed by Brubakers, and then the current Mark Waid run.

I don't need pre-2000s recomendations, I inhaled comics back then :p

Splatt

For Daredevil I'd just get Waid's run and call it a day.

While I greatly enjoyed Bendis and Bru's run back in the day, it's so fucking depressing.

I like my Daredevil cheery and in a bright red and yellow costume

Also, Sleeping Dogs is great, but I think I heard the PS4 remaster was kinda borked.

OK, so I'm preparing my big order from Amazon and as far as comics go, I picked:
  • Lazarus Volume 1 TP
  • Lazarus Volume 2 TP
  • Daredevil By Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection Book 1 TPB
  • Black Science Volume 1 TP
Good choices? And one more question: did by any chance Lazarus or BS change the artist in the middle of the run?
Good list. I recommend you look at instocktrades.com. It consistently beats Amazon prices. It just takes a bit longer to ship but is much superior in their shipping packaging

Y'all shoulda been on Barbelith back in the day. A thread for every issue. And yes, wigs were flipped at the Xorn reveal.

You also would have enjoyed seeing me go up against the whole board, disbelieving that Cassandra had taken over Chuck at the end of 116. It's the only time I was ever wrong, and you all missed it because you didn't like Invisibles enough to join a message board about it.

Shame on all of you.

Zombine

Banned
Man, for all the temporary drama that went on when we moved to OTC, we've actually picked up some new faces who seem to genuinely love comics. 2015 is looking pretty badass for us I think.

Man, for all the temporary drama that went on when we moved to OTC, we've actually picked up some new faces who seem to genuinely love comics. 2015 is looking pretty badass for us I think.
It would be nice to see all of the folks in the OT comic threads join us too. I know there are quite a few readers in those threads but I don't think I've ever seen most of them here which is a shame. I think we're pretty friendly.

People keep saying its Waid's run in which he gets outed but thats not true. Its in Bendis's run which is absolutely phenomenal. Although you could say that DD's indentity first gets out during Frank Miller's run on the character.

For not being one of the biggest comics characters, Daredevil has really enjoyed some top notch lengthy runs.

Frank Miller
Bendis
Brubaker
Waid

You could probably put Kevin Smith in there if you wanted to.

Its all up on Marvel Unlimited if you're interested

What the hell is going on here?
Have you never read Morrison's New X-Men?

Top Bottom