• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

(Thanks to Zombine for the title assist!)

ov8Vpkk.png

pZq9kk1.png

January's been sort of busy between work and family -related issues, so the OT is a bit rough this month. I might try to polish it up when I can, but no promises: this month might not be any better.

Here's a sampling of what you can expect in February.

MR6n8.png

REMqCCh.jpg

EVdotDh.jpg

+Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex Alpha #1 by Sam Humphries and Ed McGuinness (Feb 4).
+Hawkeye #21 by Matt Fraction and David Aja (Feb 4).
+Darth Vader #1 & 2 by Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca (Feb 11, 25).
+Silk #1/Spider-Gwen #1 by Robbie Thompson and Stacey Lee; Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez (Feb 18; 25).
+Daredevil #13 by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee (Feb 25).
+Thor Annual #1 by Jason Aaron, CM Punk, Noelle Stevenson, Rob Guillory, and Marguerite Sauvage (Feb 25).

QV0uw.png

NUjT8Xo.jpg

RmSwL9R.jpg

+Harley Quinn Valentine's Day Special #1 by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti and John Timms (Feb 11).
+Batman & Robin #39 by Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason (Feb 18).
+The Multiversity: Mastermen #1 by Grant Morrison and Jim Lee (Feb 18).
+Aquaman #39 by Jeff Parker and Paul Pelletier (Feb 25).
+Gotham Academy #5 by Becky Cloonan, Brendan Fletcher and Karl Kerschl (Feb 25).
+Suiciders #1 by Lee Bermejo (Feb 25).

9sam5.png

qmE7f9X.jpg

qgCxivV.jpg

+Nameless #1 by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham (Feb 4).
+Postal #1 by Bryan Hill, Matt Hawkins and Isaac Goodhart (Feb 4).
+Saga #25 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Feb 4).
+Satellite Sam #11 by Matt Fraction and Howard Chaykin (Feb 11).
+Bang! Tango TP by Joe Kelly and Adrian Sibar (Feb 11).
+The Surface #1 by Ales Kot and Langdon Foss (Feb 25).

9CWx4.png

EV2XIwn.jpg

RXBlzpA.jpg

+The Goon: Once Upon a Hard Time #1 by Eric Powell (Feb 4).
+Rat God #1 by Richard Corben (Feb 4).
+B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #128 by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi and James Harren (Feb 18).
+Dark Horse Presents #7 by Various Writers and Artists (Feb 18).
+EI8HT #1 by Rafael Albuquerque and Mike Johnson (Feb 18).
+Mister X: Razed #1 by Dean Motter (Feb 25).

ymY7S.png

nDF0xYF.jpg

YizuJ98.jpg

+Transformers vs G.I. Joe #5 by Tom Scioli and John Barber (Feb 4).
+D4VE #1 by Ryan Ferrier and Valentin Ramon (Feb 11).
+Star Trek/Planet of the Apes #3 by Scott and David Tipton and Rachael Stott (Feb 18).
+D&D: Legends of Baldur's Gate #5 by Jim Zub and Max Dunbar (Feb 25).
+Orphan Black #1 by John Fawcett, Graeme Manson, Jody Houser and Szymon Kudranski (Feb 25).
+Samurai Jack #17 by Jim Zub and Sergio Quijada (Feb 25).

4T1fu.png

aq7PIva.jpg

K5D8h9T.jpg

+Cluster #1 by Ed Brisson and Damian Couceiro (Boom!, Feb 4).
+Imperium #1 by Joshua Dysart and Doug Braithwaite (Valiant, Feb 4).
+Legenderry: Vampirella #1/Red Sonja #1/Green Hornet #1 by David Avallone and David Cabrera/Mark Andreyko and Aneke/Daryl Gregory and Brent Peeples (Dynamite, Feb 4/11/18).
+Divinity #1 by Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine (Valiant, Feb 11).
+Help Us! Great Warrior #1 by Madeleine Flores (Boom!, Feb 11).
+Black Hood #1 by Duane Swierczynski and Michael Gaydos (Archie, Feb 25).

5lcMDk2.png
uqwNqxS.png

HorvuUT.jpg

1ST PLACE WINNER:
Antman #1; written by Nick Spencer; pencils by Ramon Rosanas; colors by Jordan Boyd; published by Marvel Comics (8pts)

2ND PLACE FINISHER:
*TIE* Batman #38; written by Scott Snyder & James Tynion IV; pencils by Greg Capullo, Danny Miki and Sam Kieth; colors by FCO Plascencia & Ronda Pattison ; published by DC Comics (5pts)
*TIE* Daredevil #12; written by Mark Waid; pencils by Chris Samnee; colors by Matthew Wilson; published by Marvel Comics (5pts)

3RD PLACE FINISHER:
*TIE* Batman & Robin #38; written by Peter Tomasi; pencils by Patrick Gleason & Mick Gray; colors by John Kalisz; published by DC Comics (3pts)
*TIE* The Dying and the Dead #1; written by Jonathan Hickman; pencils by Ryan Bodenheim; colors by Michael Garland; published by Image Comics (3pts)

Here's How It Works
In the last week of the month (or earlier, if you're confident about your choices), any GAF member can send me a private message with their personal picks for the three best single issues released that month, from any publisher. These picks should be arranged in order of rank -- first, second, and third place -- and each ranking will be worth a specific point value. A first place ranking for a comic is worth 5 points; a second place is worth 3 points; a third place, 2 points. Then before next month's COMICS! OT goes live, I'll tally the results and point values from each ballot, and post the top three overall winners in the next OP as last month's, GAF-approved, best of the best. Then, maybe at the end of the year, we'll have a showdown between the year's top finishers or something similar.

A Sample Ballot
This is an example of how a sample ballot submitted by you might look. You don't have to use this formatting but I do ask that, however you send it to me, you are CLEAR on which comics you are voting for and in what order they are ranked.

Average GAF Member said:
1st Place: "Super-Fun Team Adventures" #14 (Mystery Comics; story by Jack Johnson, art by John Jackson) [worth 5 points.]
2nd Place: "Children's Bedtime Stories, Only With Nudity and Cursing" #69 (Happy Puppy Publishing; story by Jane Doe, art by John Doelner) [worth 3 points.]
3rd Place: "Grimdark, Extreme, and McDarkerson" #474 (Amazing Comics; story & art by Smitty Smithengen) [worth 2 points.]

The Voting Rules
1. Only single issues released that month are to be considered for voting; no trade collections, and no "just caught up" considerations for issues released one/two/however many months ago. Sorry if this excludes you from the voting process, trade-only readers and mail-order folk. I didn't see any other way.
2. Each GAF member is allowed one ballot, and once that ballot has been cast you are done for the month. If an issue comes out and you think it's the best comic you've ever read or will ever read, but you already cast your vote the week before, that's too bad. In other words, there are no take-backs so VOTE THOUGHTFULLY.
3. Three comics per ballot, and no more. You could send me a list of the ten best comics that month, with full paragraph summaries on why you ranked them in what order; but in the end, I'm only going to tally points for the top three and ignore the rest. You CAN pick just one book as the best that month... but that one vote is still worth only 5 points.
4. No ties on the ballots, please. You have to pick three comics as the best that month, and you have to rank them "1st, 2nd, 3rd" so that I can assign points to each. If you're torn between two issues of two different series as the best that month, and you can't decide which one you loved more than the other, TRY.
5. To make things a bit easier on me when it comes to making the OP, I'm establishing a deadline for casting ballots of 10pm Eastern Standard Time on the last day of the month. You can cast your ballot at any time during the month that you wish; however once that deadline has passed, any ballots sent to me will be ignored.
6. Again, to make things easier I would prefer that your votes be cast via private message sent to me, rather than through an open post in the OT. In addition to keeping the voting process a secret, using the PM method means I won't have to search through thread pages for someone's vote posted as an afterthought to an unrelated discussion.

Failure to comply with any of the above rules MAY result in your ballot getting thrown out.

Other rules and stipulations may follow, but for now we'll roll with these for the first round and see how it goes. Have fun voting!

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy reading!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What the shit is a ship girl? Is that what you guys call your statues?

Damn, no one voted last month. I said I wasn't going to since I didn't finish what I wanted to but what happened to everyone else?

Can't believe Hawkeye comes back soon.

MG310

Anime girls that are also boats are the new anime girls that are also World War 2 planes.

Teen Jean has some wild hair on that Black Vortex cover.

MG310

I...I think so? I seem to remember discussions about battleship names in my last visit to FigureGAF before I had to minimize it quickly since I was at work.

Hahaha, I alone put Batman and Batman and Robin on that list. 5 point for my first place vote and 3 points for my 2nd place vote.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I...I think so? I seem to remember discussions about battleship names in my last visit to FigureGAF before I had to minimize it quickly since I was at work.

You think they call them that because they're filled with seamen?

Repost my Super List Sunday!

My BuyList via Comics Day App

LADY KILLER #2 $3.50
AMERICAN VAMPIRE SECOND CYCLE #6 (MR) $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #44 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #39 $3.99
GRAYSON #7 $2.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #40 (WEEKLY) $2.99
SUPERMAN #38 $4.99
BIRTHRIGHT #5 $2.99
NAILBITER #10 (MR) $2.99
NAMELESS #1 (MR) $2.99
SAGA #25 (MR) $2.99
SHELTERED #14 (MR) $2.99
WYTCHES #4 (MR) $2.99
ANT-MAN #2 $3.99
MS MARVEL #11 $2.99
STAR WARS #2 $3.99
ANNIHILATOR #5 $3.99
WOODS #10 $3.99

Cheska

Wow, end of the month totally creeped up on us. Can't believe we all forgot to vote :( Fantastic OP though Spike! You da man!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
HAWKBROEYE MONTH IS BEST MONTH.

Also great work on the OT, Spike.

You can do the math, only 3 people voted.

I voted

1. Batman 5 points
2. Batman & Robin 3 points
3. Deadly Class 2

Person 2 voted

Antman 5 points
New Hickman book 3
Book that didn't place 2

Person 3 voted.

Daredevil 5
Antman 3
Book that didn't place. 2

Nice OT Spike, why do I always feel like you're the silent partner of ComicGAF?

:p

Nameless and The Surface are the two new books I'm getting this month.

Can't wait to hear impressions on Black Vortex crossover. Predicting a train wreak with that one.

I'll explain what a ship girl is. There's an online CCG called Kantai Collection, which has spawned an anime and now a billion pieces of merchandise. The characters are essentially anthropomorphized Japanese warships, and they're all named after real ships. Fubuki, Kongo, Musashi, Haruna, etc.

Examples:

NOW BACK TO COMICS

I'll explain what a ship girl is. There's an online CCG called Kantai Collection, which has spawned an anime and now a billion pieces of merchandise. The characters are essentially anthropomorphized Japanese warships, and they're all named after real ships. Fubuki, Kongo, Musashi, Haruna, etc.

Examples:

NOW BACK TO COMICS

Wut

Filthy Slug

THINK OF FURRIES EXCEPT EVERYONE IS BOATS INSTEAD OF ANIMALS. XD

Now I'm just picturing you dressing up like a boat and asking hunky seamen if they want to board you, Freeze.

I'd board you Freeza

@.@

Suddenly I understand why the FigureGAF split had to happen.

A good number of the people over there never even posted in FigureGAF, though. But it's fine, I just wish they didn't half-steal the FigureGAF name. OG FigureGAF is still king.

Okay, no more boat girls. This talk is starting to scare me. Time for list.

American Vampire Second Cycle #6
Grayson #7
Nameless #1
Saga #25
Wytches #4
Velvet #9
Ant-Man #2
Avengers #41
Black Vortex Alpha #1
Hawkeye #21
Ms. Marvel #11
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2

Vibranium

Banned
Hawkguy finally/hopefully this month and a CM Punk Thor story. Can't wait!

Maybe he will kill Vince McMahon in the pages....

Owzers

i'm content with Ant-Man #1 making it to the top, some batbooks made the list but hey, whatever floats your boat.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Anyone ever use old comics for things? Like art or placemats or whatever?

Grant Morrison & Jim Lee should be the creative team for like every comic

Also are any of the following comics worth buying if I haven't read them yet:

Wolverine & The X-Men Omnibus
Wolverine Jason Aaron Complete Collection vol.1
Wolverine Mark Millar Omnibus
X-Men Mutant Genesis 2.0
Uncanny X-Force Complete Collection vol.1

Please advise

Grant Morrison & Jim Lee should be the creative team for like every comic

Also are any of the following comics worth buying if I haven't read them yet:

Wolverine & The X-Men Omnibus
Wolverine Jason Aaron Complete Collection vol.1
Wolverine Mark Millar Omnibus
X-Men Mutant Genesis 2.0
Uncanny X-Force Complete Collection vol.1

Please advise
Yes to Uncanny X-Force. Awesome run.

I'd get that and maybe watxm. Have you thought of subscribing to marvel unlimited and reading everything?

Ive thought about it as I do read a lot of comics on my iPad but the thing is sometimes I kind of want to read physical too and thought it would be a good idea to pick up a couple of Omnibuses that have complete or near complete runs of a title to read through. They are somewhat pricey however (even with IST) so I wanted recommendations as to what the cream of the crop is.

So, the Fraction FF Omni is out this week.

Who's about to take one for the team?

Thats the run where the FF portion was really good but the Fantastic Four part sucked and it kind of fell apart by the end right?

kd-z

So, the Fraction FF Omni is out this week.

Who's about to take one for the team?

Thats the run where the FF portion was really good but the Fantastic Four part sucked and it kind of fell apart by the end right?
Just googled it. I'd rather they released a smaller hardcover/complete collection with just the FF issues. No way I'm buying this huge thing when half of it doesn't even interest me.

Top Bottom