• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend coming to Switch in December

Bullet Club

Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend coming to Switch in December

Square Enix drops a bomb for the old Game Boy gamers.

BtAdf87.jpg

This is a morning of revelations. Firstly, a new Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase dropped — two days ahead of the rumored Friday date. Secondly, out of absolutely nowhere, Square Enix has announced Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend on Nintendo Switch. It is a collection of the three Final Fantasy Legend titles for the original Game Boy, released in North America between 1990 and 1993. Incidentally — and as the name of the collection suggests — these were actually the three original games in the SaGa franchise, which went on to include the likes of Romancing SaGa on Super Famicom and SaGa Frontier on PlayStation 1.

The reveal of Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend is cued up below.

Source: Nintendo Enthusiast

UGpUyl7.png

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hell yeah, I loved these games.

Teslerum

This is the truth. They didn't even add in GBC-esque options. Just straight up greyscale with jpg borders.

I'm more upset that remakes exist for all three games.

Of course they're still in japanese, but that didn't stop Square translating Trials of Mana when the SOD collection arrived.

Ah remember playing this on one of those 500 games in one (really, just 10) pirated Game Boy cartridge I got from my grandfather from his vacation around the mediterranean. Couldn't save, so either had to leave it on or go for finishing it in one sitting. Got a bit of color thanks to the Super Game Boy. I think I really liked a lot of the music in the game.

I missed out on the Final Fantasy Legend games. I'll get Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend just to see what the original SaGa games were like.

Vandole

FFL2 was without question my favorite Game Boy game. I couldn't tell you how many times I played through it. Very creative story, especially for the time and platform, and very challenging. Almost bordered on unfair at times if you weren't taking care of your character's skill levels or if you had a monster that was weaker then it should have been at the moment. But if you knew how to manage everything properly, it was pretty reasonable.

As far as the other two games, Legend 1 I was fairly basic, but It was worth the playthrough. Legend 3 I always kind of thought was garbage. It was probably better than the original in the series, but it felt like a giant step backwards from 2 that I always considered it the worst in the series.

All that aside, this shouldn't be more than $15. Asking anything more than that is ridiculous.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I remember loving the 2nd one and then the 3rd even more because it had time travel.

The first one was extremely difficult and I'm sure has aged terribly.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
FFL2 was without question my favorite Game Boy game. I couldn't tell you how many times I played through it. Very creative story, especially for the time and platform, and very challenging. Almost bordered on unfair at times if you weren't taking care of your character's skill levels or if you had a monster that was weaker then it should have been at the moment. But if you knew how to manage everything properly, it was pretty reasonable.

As far as the other two games, Legend 1 I was fairly basic, but It was worth the playthrough. Legend 3 I always kind of thought was garbage. It was probably better than the original in the series, but it felt like a giant step backwards from 2 that I always considered it the worst in the series.
Crazy, I personally considered the second game to be the weakest of the three. I loved the first game to pieces, but really only out of necessity because "it was a final fantasy game for the game boy". The third one had the better story and world, I thought - as well as fully developed characters rather than generic ones.

Belmonte

I finished the first one month ago.

The setting, a tower which connects many kind of words in each floor and the 3 kind of races -Humans, Espers and Monsters- with very different mechanics to level up convinced me to try the game.

Didn't like how unbalanced is the game. Most times the fight is very hard or very easy and the encounter rate is off the charts. I finished Dragon Quest 1 in the NES but wasn't prepared for SaGa 1 encounter rate! Very annoying.

But I recommend for the curiosity.There are great ideas which I'm curious how will evolve in the posterior games. It is a small game also.

Enjay

Banned
I'm more upset that remakes exist for all three games.

Of course they're still in japanese, but that didn't stop Square translating Trials of Mana when the SOD collection arrived.
They're gonna translate them later on and sell them again at full price.

Orenji Neko

Nice! Saga 2 was always my favorite. Enjoyed also the Wonderswan Color remake for Saga 1 and DS remake for Saga 2. Never got around to playing remake of 3 though.

Vandole

They're gonna translate them later on and sell them again at full price.
Agreed. This is probably the (highly flawed) test to see if there's enough interest in translating the remakes. Kind of the same way S-E used the Chrono trigger DS port to gauge interest in the series.

Vandole

Crazy, I personally considered the second game to be the weakest of the three. I loved the first game to pieces, but really only out of necessity because "it was a final fantasy game for the game boy". The third one had the better story and world, I thought - as well as fully developed characters rather than generic ones.
I think you and I liked FFL 1 for the same reason. As far as 3, it did feel better developed, but I just didn't like the story and never bought in, so it kind of just felt plodding the entire time. I wasn't a fan of the cyborg/monster mechanism in the game either. I thought it made the characters a little bit harder to manage.

Top Bottom