• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cobra Kai S3 - Jan 8, 2021 - Netflix

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Like most shows they will keep it going way too long as long as it brings in money. The cameos are cool, they do remind me how far the 80s and 90s are behind us now though. :messenger_fearful:

lachesis

Like most shows they will keep it going way too long as long as it brings in money. The cameos are cool, they do remind me how far the 80s and 90s are behind us now though. :messenger_fearful:

Yeah... Hope that's not the case for this show by knowing when to put a stop. Unless they have real good reason to put past season 4 - I hope it will be the end.

To be honest, I thought they may skip a few years for season 3 - considering the result of s2, and considering how quickly the young characters are physically maturing.... Anthony, what happen to you?! LOL... Perhaps Daniel put into some effort on Anthony behind the scenes, and he is the true karate kid?! :)

bronk

Banned
I got a few episodes into first season and really liked it. I'll definitely get to finishing it.

Also the Cobra Kai game is not that bad. $15 and I had fun with it.

UncleMeat

Binged the whole season today. I thought it was pretty good. Karate Kid is one of my favorite movies and the way the flashbacks to the movies and all the cameos are handled is pretty amazing.

Terry Silver incoming, baby!!

bitbydeath

Gold Member
First half of the season 3 felt like recouping from past season finale... but loved the last ep.
Also like the fact the cameos - important or non-important roles are there for a reason but does not effect the existing status quo as well... and had some good closure. At the end, it tee's up for the 4th season, which I hope it may be the final season. Otherwise it may seem like it'd be dragging.

Only real thing that I'm now more worried is how Robbie's character will resolve in the end? I would love to see Aisha back for Season 4. Crossing fingers.
They’ve planned for six seasons.

I thought the season was not nearly of the quality of the first two. By the middle of the season I was skipping, because I just couldn't take anymore long "threatening" discussions about things that were ultimately irrelevant, and I was over watching them beat each other up. Plus I didn't give a crap about Kreese's backstory. I watched intently every scene with characters from the movies though, and I loved the side trip to Okinawa.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It's really awkward when those kids are basically murdering each other with kicks to the head and kicking each other through walls and glass, then the next day they see each other in school again. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The shows seems to make fun of woke nonsense, that's pretty great since Netflix originals seems mainly PC crap.

Haemi

You’re not wrong, has the look of a middle aged man who has never trained. A head instructor of a karate school wouldn’t have such poor mobility, even at most mcdojos.
He really did not prepare for his role as sensei in a dojo. I noticed it again in the Okinawa episode. He has a nerd neck and his muscels are not balanced. His back is really weak. Really bad posture.

Imperius

Banned
You’re not wrong, has the look of a middle aged man who has never trained. A head instructor of a karate school wouldn’t have such poor mobility, even at most mcdojos.
Ralph Macchio's physique is maybe my biggest gripe with this show. He has no muscle mass and a gut, basically skinny fat. Would it be too much to ask for him to get into the gym a few times a week to make his character a bit more believable?

Last edited:
Ralph Macchio's physique is maybe my biggest gripe with this show. He has no muscle mass and a gut, basically skinny fat. Would it be too much to ask for him to get into the gym a few times a week to make his character a bit more believable?
I mean, he's a guy who's barely done Karate in years, and the biggest time-skip of the series so far was during a time in which he was convinced that the Karate was a bad idea and had shut things down, so it's not particularly unbelievable to me for the most part. None of his fights are particularly long, or with people in great shape. Johnny and Kreese barely fight either.

I think I especially forgive it because Miyagi himself wasn't in fighting shape in the original films, which was part of the charm.

TTOOLL

Just finished it. I liked the setup at the end.

However,

they need to dial down some fights that are completely unrealistic and that have no consequences. Like when Cobra Kai invaded the LaRussos. I mean...no police for that?

Other than this I preferred S3 to S2. S1 is still the best one. Johnny is one of the best characters of all time. Brilliant.

Kev Kev

Not gonna lie, this show is pretty bad, but I’m interested in where the overall story is going, and I want to know what happens to Johnny.

It’s at its best when it’s making fun of itself, but as soon as it tries to take itself seriously I just cringe, and unfortunately it just lays the drama on way too thick far too often. Season 3 is a little better than 2, but I really hope they wrap this thing up in less than 5 seasons. I’m on board for the rest if they just stick to being funny and don’t drag it on too long.

Imperius

Banned
Just finished it. I liked the setup at the end.

However,

they need to dial down some fights that are completely unrealistic and that have no consequences. Like when Cobra Kai invaded the LaRussos. I mean...no police for that?

Other than this I preferred S3 to S2. S1 is still the best one. Johnny is one of the best characters of all time. Brilliant.
Eh it’s a show about warring karate dojos. You have to give the writers some creative freedom and suspend disbelief a bit, otherwise you don’t have a show.

lachesis

One of my favorite parts of the series is how Daniel’s wife constantly makes fun of the rivalry between him and Johnny. Those 2 take it so seriously and she just laughs about it
Ironically I thought it was even funnier when she totally flipped and did the exact same thing Danny did to Johnny - but this time to Kreese ... the nuke option! :)

Will probably run thru Season 3 again soon. Season 4 can't come soon enough...

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The show shines when the focus is on Johnny and Miguel, Johnny and Daniel, and Daniel and his past. The other teenagers, especially Sam and that piece of trash Robby, continue to be aggravating.

Robby in particular needs to be thrown off the balcony a few times.

Blade2.0

Season 3 was the best season so far.

Also 55 year old Tamlyn tomita would GET IT!!!

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Season 3 was the best season so far.

Also 60 year old Tamlyn tomita would GET IT!!!

It's interesting to see that people are attractive when they are young are usually still attractive even at 60. Same with the old gf of the karate kids.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
She was a pretty minor character and
a rich girl changing schools after a huge all-out high school brawl
was a good enough explanation for me. She might be back. I've noticed the most annoying character of season two isn't back, so that's something.
Who?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
It's interesting to see that people are attractive when they are young are usually still attractive even at 60. Same with the old gf of the karate kids.
To be fair, Tamlyn Tomita was freaking next level in her prime, so it’s not surprising that she’s still goddamn beautiful and graceful even now.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
To be fair, Tamlyn Tomita was freaking next level in her prime, so it’s not surprising that she’s still goddamn beautiful and graceful even now.

Not really into asian chicks, but have to agree.

tamlyn-tomita.jpg

TTOOLL

Eh it’s a show about warring karate dojos. You have to give the writers some creative freedom and suspend disbelief a bit, otherwise you don’t have a show.

I know, we should allow a lot of things,
but we should draw the line at 8 people breaking into your house, assaulting your daughter and trashing the place without zero consequences

belmarduk

And she was far from annoying last season if you want to talk about annoying season 2 characters try the big fat 30 year old dude who joined Cobra Kai

That's who I was referring to when I said the most annoying character. Hope he isn't back in season four.

Kev Kev

Finished it last nite. Better than season 2, but nothing beats the fist half of season 1 so far. More funny, less drama, which is better, but still a little too much drama for me. My favorite parts are when they talk about miyagi and his teachings, and everything with Johnny.

I really like that the show recognizes miyagi-do is a bit on the pussy side of things and gives them a dose of reality. Of course cobra Kai takes it too far and that’s not good either. Somewhere in the middle, as most things go, is where we should be.

interested in season 4 but I hope they turn up the funny and drop even more of the drama. They’ve almost found a good balance.

SkylineRKR

I binged this yesterday and I loved every second of it. I love how they managed to get the original movie cast on board. What this series does so well, is making an asshat bully from the original such as Johnny so likeable. I think no one hates the guy. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if LaRusso is seen as a bigger tool. And the shit he pulled was simply lame, like banning CK from the tournament in S1. But their on screen chemistry is good, there is always a fight looming.

Robby has the tendency to constantly witness stuff at the wrong time. I think that kinda ran its course. The same with the losers constantly jumping ship. I like it most when the focus is on Johnny, Miguel, Daniel and Sam. I also like Daniel's wife, she's unique in the sense that she's not the typical annoying wife. She understands Daniel's passion and makes fun of his grudge.

Last edited:
After some reflection I think the ending of Season 3 actually makes me less interested in season 4.

I don't believe for a second Kreese would honor his word and shut down if he loses the tournament, so the whole sequence just makes me roll my eyes. And I don't even see how bringing in Silver does anything, except give another character to show inevitable backstory to.

I can't stand Robby, Tory, Hawk, or most of the tertiary kids. I really only like Daniel/Johnny/Miguel/Sam and maybe Demitri. Plus Daniel's wife, who's pretty much my favorite character in the show.

Last edited:
Not liking episode 9 so far. Only part I like is Danny listing off all of his daughter's boyfriends in the past year and Sam looking destroyed.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If they continue the show I hope Netflix doesn't give them "the checklist" and make them incorporate all the 25 quadrant committee derived all inclusive nonsense Netflix has in most of their other shows. Keep the vision focused.

binged the first 12 or so episodes this weekend. was pretty fun and unique. i have a feeling itll never recapture the glory of season 1. maybe s2 will be a peak, but i dont have much expectations for s3/s4

was also banking on it being a bit slower. didnt think it would/should get to some of its finale plot points for awhile. not really sure what to think of
Kreese
or what to expect from him. ralph macchios character/acting is nauseating to me. johnny is fucking fantastic though. love what they did with him. as much as i love it though, some parts are a bit too hokey. i mean really, the dude has never used athe internet, let alone a computer. come on. at least they treated it as a joke and handled it well.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed the hilarity of karate fights just breaking out everywhere. Miguel's very sudden & fast recovery is a part of that which makes me laugh. The show is the Tao of 'Fuck it" by Johnny Lawrence.

Though Ralph Macchio is getting pudgy and him fighting in that dress shirt looked bad.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Didn't care for:

The kid that Daniel saved in KK2 just so happens to be the vice president of international sales or whatever and just so happens to have the power to save his dealership. Wow what a coincidence!

Everything else was top notch as usual. Watched all of Season 3 in one go on New Year's Day and now the long wait begins.

But Johnny can cure everything by telling people to stop being a pussy:

it4ua926us861.jpg

Top Bottom